BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-08-24 4:35 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by marysia83 Just came back from vacation. Almost a week in DC with my kids, and 10 days in Poland. We had plenty of fun, but now I came to realization I have Oly race this Sunday and how the two weeks affected my training... Ugh... I was planning to do as much swimming in DC and running in Poland as possible. While I did swim a bit in DC (pool), and did 2 x 800 in the lake in Poland (felt great!), I only run once for 20 minutes. I tried to swim yesterday, but only made it to 500 m. Which is probably because I did climbing the day before, and my arms were barely moving. Mentally I was doing fine, my form was pretty steady too. I am planning to run a bit today, swim a bit tomorrow, completely rest on Saturday. I know there is nothing more I can do right now, whatever I have trained for in the past months, that's what it is. I checked my calendar from last year and the swim training was as poor as this year, and i still made it with a smile on my face. Also, I happen to do much, much better in the lake than in the pool. So am trying to stay positive. As for the bike and run, I assume I know how to bike, and I know how to run. I am not expecting crazy record breaking, I will just listen to my body and push based on how I feel. I think as long as I have my mind in place and am mentally stable, I will do fine. That's all for me. I hope everyone has had a fabulous week so far!

Had to do something to make things interesting, right? 

Still out in Oregon a few more days here. Eclipse vacation. Strava followers (should) have seen some things about it. Event was fantastic! Don't mean to sound elitist, but there was a tremendous difference between everything up to 99% and then 100%. High 90's only had a little funny looking lighting, couldn't see anything happening in the sky without the special glasses. At 100%, everything went out like a switch and the ring was just there. The sun was gone and there was a ring floating in the sky. A little nervous about seeing it as there was a heavy fog on the ocean & beach trying to reach up closer at times, but it was all clear the moment of. Not sure I could see 100 ft in some places on that morning's run, so skipped running down the beach and only went out in spots. That distance left a big window of not seeing either the dunes or the ocean. Escape routes & markers were hard to see even up close, I don't have much experience with the Pacific, and tides had potential to be up near records. So played it safe there.

Still a couple more days before getting back home.

2017-08-24 4:38 PM
in reply to: IronOx

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jmkizer

Slightly off topic

What do you guys know about Yeti bikes and paint? Kevin's fancy pants mtb has paint that is peeling. The bike is ~3 years old. The paint is coming up the top tube (so no rubbing -- basically no contact). The bike is transported on a bike rack that holds the bike from the bottom (Thule T2). It's at the shop for a drop post cable replacement and the shop is going to contact Yeti about it. This just seems weird.

ETA: Carbon frame

ok so kind of related - back in the early to mid 2000s Titus had a HUGE problem with paint peeling from their bikes. Mine was one of them. They said there was a problem with the treating process in (surprise) China. It was a HUGE pr disaster and probably what eventually led them out of business. Having said that, back then Yeti was having some other frame issues and I know of at least 1 person who received a warranty frame. Yeti has lasted so I'm hoping for Kevin's sake their customer service is rock solid. My guess is, it is. Let me know what happens!! And Ann Marie I've had my T2 through 4 cars and going on 12 years. I just replaced some of the moving parts (ratcheting arm etc) but that rack is bomb proof.

Yeti done good. They are replacing the frame. The current frame is stealth black (black logon on black frame) and it will be replaced with a turquoise frame. The new frame will not be in until November. The paint issue is cosmetic so Kevin can use the bike until then.  Well, once the drop post is fixed.

PSA, REI has Yakima racks for 20% off during their Labor Day sale. 

Excellent!! Glad it worked out. In other news, Rinny and Tim had their baby girl yesterday. They are like the cutest super couple - sorry, THREESOME. That girl is going to be unstoppable!

I've been wondering about that. She sure wasn't fast in getting here! Thanks for the info.

Crap! I forgot to post this! I ran into them while I was riding in Boulder a few weekends ago. They were hiking, hoping to "move things along." They are so nice and will talk to you and answer any questions you have. (I'm too shy to ask them questions, but my friends arent!)

I met them at Oceanside. They are wonderful.

I have never met them but they seem to be the American version of Trevor and Heather Wertele. Humble, down to earth, good peeps. Baby is beautiful!

I walked by them just before a race, but Rinny had her game face on, so seemed best to leave them alone.

2017-08-24 5:40 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by awm007

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella Ann-Marie and Janyne have you seen that the three of us have been rotating in and out of the top 10 and top 20 on the IM Louisville leader board for Strava this week? Apparently, Manatees rule the IM circuit too. HAHA

Huh. I haven't been paying much attention to that. I've been busy training

Pffft! I took a picture when I made it to the top of the Manatees board. It took a century ride to do it!

Lol, that's great!

And if you scroll all the way to the bottom of that list, you'll find me I've been getting some signs of tendonitis with strength training though, so I hope to pick up some running and biking soon.

Way to crush the IM Louisville leaderboard Manatees!
i think I might be even lower than you Adam - not sure I've even made the list yet
2017-08-24 5:41 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Randee the 2017 guide is up.

Yeah and I see the whole section on registration for next year.....but I don't see a date?! Am I going insane? (don't answer that - it's rhetorical LOL)

I think moron is the new Manatee word you are looking for
2017-08-24 7:09 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by StaceyK

Randee the 2017 guide is up.

Yeah and I see the whole section on registration for next year.....but I don't see a date?! Am I going insane? (don't answer that - it's rhetorical LOL)

I think moron is the new Manatee word you are looking for

Right. I forgot.

I must be a moron because I still can't find it.
2017-08-25 4:02 AM
in reply to: #5226884

User image

Master
I'm a moron. Haven't been running or riding much, but signed up for a 10k run tomorrow, and a hilly 35 mile bike race on Sunday. I'm not ready for either of them, hahaha!

TGIF!

2017-08-25 9:13 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Blanda

I'm a moron. Haven't been running or riding much, but signed up for a 10k run tomorrow, and a hilly 35 mile bike race on Sunday. I'm not ready for either of them, hahaha!

TGIF!

Yeah, and you will rock it!!
2017-08-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Blanda I'm a moron. Haven't been running or riding much, but signed up for a 10k run tomorrow, and a hilly 35 mile bike race on Sunday. I'm not ready for either of them, hahaha! TGIF!

Being a moron is underrated   Have a great time!

2017-08-25 9:34 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella Ann-Marie and Janyne have you seen that the three of us have been rotating in and out of the top 10 and top 20 on the IM Louisville leader board for Strava this week? Apparently, Manatees rule the IM circuit too. HAHA

Ouch some of that splashed in my eye and now it stings. haha

I didn't mean it that way! I just meant that I try not to overly stalk the IM Lou Strava group. That can drive me up a wall!

2017-08-25 11:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Pffft! I took a picture when I made it to the top of the Manatees board. It took a century ride to do it!

Impressive Manatee leader board - all they way from 1 to 10. (I think I have done about 17hrs training total this summer!)

Edited by DaveL 2017-08-25 11:02 AM
2017-08-25 1:20 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 26-27
Stacey - City to Surf Marathon (A Race) on Sunday
Mary G. - Chicago Tri - Olympic distance on Sunday
Robin - Erie half marathon on Sunday
Blanda - bike race Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Condolences to Ann-Marie. Gunnar will be missed.

Texas Manatees, stay safe! Florida Manatees, I hope that storm dissipates without incident.

Note: I'll post a monthly longer term DL next week, if you want to be listed, PM me so I don't inadvertently miss you.

2017-08-25 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

August 26-27

Is anyone else racing?

Texas Manatees, stay safe! Florida Manatees, I hope that storm dissipates without incident.

Note: I'll post a monthly longer term DL next week, if you want to be listed, PM me so I don't inadvertently miss you.

Go Racers!!!!!!!!!!!

Those in the path of the storms please stay safe.

Hands, so sorry.

2017-08-25 1:41 PM

User image

Thanks!! this is a last minute race and I'm not really ready, but it is what it is!!

Good luck fellow racers!

Hugs Ann-Marie.

Stay safe those who are in the hurricanes path!
2017-08-25 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 26-27

Is anyone else racing?

Go racers go!

Stay safe Manatees!!

Thanks for the condolences 

2017-08-25 4:34 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

August 26-27

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, be fast, be safe, and have fun out there, manatee racers!  Wishing safety for the manatees dealing with approaching storms.

2017-08-25 4:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83 Just came back from vacation. Almost a week in DC with my kids, and 10 days in Poland. We had plenty of fun, but now I came to realization I have Oly race this Sunday and how the two weeks affected my training... Ugh... I was planning to do as much swimming in DC and running in Poland as possible. While I did swim a bit in DC (pool), and did 2 x 800 in the lake in Poland (felt great!), I only run once for 20 minutes. I tried to swim yesterday, but only made it to 500 m. Which is probably because I did climbing the day before, and my arms were barely moving. Mentally I was doing fine, my form was pretty steady too. I am planning to run a bit today, swim a bit tomorrow, completely rest on Saturday. I know there is nothing more I can do right now, whatever I have trained for in the past months, that's what it is. I checked my calendar from last year and the swim training was as poor as this year, and i still made it with a smile on my face. Also, I happen to do much, much better in the lake than in the pool. So am trying to stay positive. As for the bike and run, I assume I know how to bike, and I know how to run. I am not expecting crazy record breaking, I will just listen to my body and push based on how I feel. I think as long as I have my mind in place and am mentally stable, I will do fine. That's all for me. I hope everyone has had a fabulous week so far!

Still out in Oregon a few more days here. Eclipse vacation. Strava followers (should) have seen some things about it. Event was fantastic! Don't mean to sound elitist, but there was a tremendous difference between everything up to 99% and then 100%. High 90's only had a little funny looking lighting, couldn't see anything happening in the sky without the special glasses. At 100%, everything went out like a switch and the ring was just there. The sun was gone and there was a ring floating in the sky. A little nervous about seeing it as there was a heavy fog on the ocean & beach trying to reach up closer at times, but it was all clear the moment of. Not sure I could see 100 ft in some places on that morning's run, so skipped running down the beach and only went out in spots. That distance left a big window of not seeing either the dunes or the ocean. Escape routes & markers were hard to see even up close, I don't have much experience with the Pacific, and tides had potential to be up near records. So played it safe there.

That sounds like such a very cool, special, memorable occurrence, having been able to 'see' the eclipse at 100%.  You've been posting some great pics with your Strava workouts and for that, I thank you!  I love seeing where Manatees train!

2017-08-25 4:48 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

That sounds like such a very cool, special, memorable occurrence, having been able to 'see' the eclipse at 100%.  You've been posting some great pics with your Strava workouts and for that, I thank you!  I love seeing where Manatees train!

im jealous of those who had a full eclipse! We had about 85% and the darkness was only like a normal stormy afternoon! The eclipse was still pretty cool, but nothing like what the full was.

2017-08-25 4:59 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner Randee the 2017 guide is up.

I asked Ironman and they replied, "Yes, the 2018 IRONMAN Chattanooga is slated for Sept. 23rd, 2018."

2017-08-25 5:01 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

im jealous of those who had a full eclipse! We had about 85% and the darkness was only like a normal stormy afternoon! The eclipse was still pretty cool, but nothing like what the full was.

Thank goodness that Disney closed the parks early, right?

2017-08-25 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thank goodness that Disney closed the parks early, right?

it probably is as people are so dumb. Even with all the non stop warnings about not looking at the eclipse with proper eyewear, I caught 2 of my secretaries looking at in from the window in my office! When I stopped them they asked , "even when looking through a window?"   Ugh. Of course our President was no better

2017-08-25 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

August 26-27

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck Mary, Robin and Blanca.

Keep safe in your storms everyone.

I am actually doing the half not the full, and due to me being entirely unmotivated to get up and run in the dark the goal is to make it up and down all the hills and finish before the sag wagon picks me up. They changed the course this year (one of a number of changes) and it now goes up what is not so affectionately known as cardiac hill (at the 7.5-10k mark) theytold us that about 3 weeks ago and they released the elevation map this week. I think the run will be a sufferfest of my own making and it serves me right.

Edited by StaceyK 2017-08-25 6:31 PM

(IMG_0091.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0091.PNG (864KB - 3 downloads)

2017-08-25 7:37 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Master
Northern IL

Many more pics from the trip, but need to get home first.

2017-08-26 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Say hi to Oregon for me! It is about as close to Heaven as you can get on Earth, in my opinion. (Okay, you have to put put up with the rain, but.....) I have seen much of the world and many of the places that are considered most beautiful (Hawaii, Tibet, Bhutan, the Alps, New Zealand) and I am still always glad to come home there. (Sadly, it will no longer be home, at least in a physical sense. But you can take the Oregonian out of Oregon, but not the reverse.)

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-08-26 6:53 AM
2017-08-26 4:44 PM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Denver, Colorado
Pre-race emergency question...
I had a mosquito bite just below an ankle. Exactly in the spot where the shoe end touches the skin. After walking for an hour the whole thing is bloody and painful. What to do for a race day? I normally run without socks (I was walking with no socks today too), but am willing to put a sock if that's gonna help. Or will sock make it worse?
2017-08-26 6:54 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you have socks you can bike and/or run in comfortably, I would wear them. Plus a waterproof band-aid for the swim. Keep a few spares in transition in case they're not as waterproof as advertised or somehow get displaced. You can try sockless, but I think anything you put on to protect the bite is more likely to come off that way. If worse comes to worse, just be bloody. I've had several races where somehow I ended up with a bloody wound from the timing chip strap. Ugh.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44