General Discussion Race Reports! » BEST OF THE U.S. Citizens Sprint Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

BEST OF THE U.S. Citizens Sprint Race - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Excelsior, Minnesota
United States
Best of the US Triathlon Competition
COLDF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 31s
Overall Rank = 70/248
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up, looked at the weather radar and contimplated going back to bed...there was rain all around the race site, and it was windy and cold. Had 4 eggo waffles and a glass of chocolate milk. Showered and then checked the radar again, and started to think that my bed was sounding great at this point. It was when I was brushing my teeth and thought "if the Ironman participants could suffer through it for 140.6...I can make it through 18.5" On my way to the venue I drove through quite a bit of rain, and just kept hoping that the rain and wind would STOP!!!
Event warmup:

Went for a quick run with one of my friends that was going to do the race, but decided not to becasue the weather was not looking great
Swim
  • 15m 58s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a swim shaped in a half circle, when we first got into the water (which was a steamy 68 degrees, yikes) I looked around and felt sorry for all of those poor souls who did not have a wetsuit, becasue, between the wind and the water temp, it was fricken cold!! I had a hard time getting myself to stick my head underwater to get my swim cap on. Well, I decided to scoop water onto my head and managed to get the goggles and cap on. Then I said "screw it" and just dove into the water for my warm up (kind of) swim. I swam about 100 - 150 yards and turned around. The first 500 yards of the swim were great, the last 380 were horrible. The wind was comming directly at us across the bay and there were more than a few white caps
What would you do differently?:

More open water swimming
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Bike
  • 43m 39s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I was kind of suprised by the hills on this course, as I did not think they would be as significant as they were. I went at it pretty hard, keeping my HR around 162 - 165, which is above my anticipated LT (my legs are a little sore today while I am writing this) I wanted to push myself since this was the last tri of the year for me, and while I wanted a faster bike split, I am realtively happy with the outcome

Continue to ride over the winter to maintain and increase bike strength
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

I wasted about 5 seconds getting my first shoe on becase the foot liner bunched up when I stuck my foot in it, so I had to pull it off and re-adjust. Other than that, I am happy with my T2 time

super glue insides of shoes so they don't bunch up
Run
  • 23m 23s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice course, The only complaint that I have about it is that there was no mile markers so I could't gauge my speed. Even after punishing my legs on my bike, I didn't have the "dead leg" feeling (thank to the new QR Tequilo) that I have always had to fight through for the first mile or so. Even with that being said, I thought my speed was going to be around 8:15 - 8:30/mile.

Run A LOT more over then winter so I can get my times down in the 6:30 - 6:45/mile for next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, change and watch the Best of the US Triathlete's race their Oly course

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, lack of race wheels, lack of enough training on bike and running, and the need for more open water swimming. So I guess I could have said "everything" and that would have covered it! :)

Event comments:

I look forward to doing this course again next June to compare my times

Last updated: 2006-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:58 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/17
Overall: 78/248
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Sleeveless Speedsuit
Course: Half circle to right
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:39 | 15 miles | 20.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 64/248
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Realitively hilly out and back course that I grew fond of by the end of the race
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:23 | 03 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 117/248
Performance: Average
about 160 - 165...Looking back at this, I probably could have pushed it a little more, up around 170+ to get a little more speed aout of the 3e miles.
Course: OUt and back on a nice hard packed trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: BEST OF THE U.S. Citizens Sprint Race

2006-09-18 9:08 AM
in reply to: #543965

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: BEST OF THE U.S. Citizens Sprint Race
Great job! You were waaaaay faster than me! But then, you're a youngster! That swim was something else, wasn't it? Sheesh. Nice work!
2006-09-18 8:01 PM
in reply to: #543965

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: BEST OF THE U.S. Citizens Sprint Race
Great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BEST OF THE U.S. Citizens Sprint Race Rss Feed