Other Resources The Political Joe » John McCain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-08-29 6:48 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: John McCain

I think without question he is an American hero and great statesman......and I've always thought that.....even when the left was burning him to the ground when he ran against President Obama. 

Of course, now he's a hero to the left.  LMAOOOO

Truly, I expect nothing else from the left wingnut media.

RIP Mr. McCain....thank you for your service to our country.

2018-08-30 7:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: John McCain
Agree he is a war hero.....but he sucked as a politician IMO. He gave us Obama. War hero with decades of experience could not beat a communality organizer with virtually zero experience?! While I love Sarah Palin, picking her a VP was a bonehead move. McCain was a RINO. I was very disappointed when he voted down the Obamacare repeal. No doubt in my mind he did that as revenge on Trump....he chose his personal vendetta over the American people. I also think it was very petty to dis-invite Trump to his funeral. Carrying anger and bitterness to your grave is sad. I've been wronged by a lot of people in my life but I let it go and moved on. Anyway, McCain is beyond caring now.

I hope the republican governor of AZ nominates a true conservative republican to fill his seat.

ETA I just read that SP was not invited to his funeral. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

Edited by Rogillio 2018-08-30 7:47 AM
2018-08-30 8:38 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

I didn't even know you could not invite people to your funeral......I'm making a list.

2018-08-30 9:06 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

I didn't even know you could not invite people to your funeral......I'm making a list.

I wrote my own Eulogy a few years ago....

Mike’s Eulogy: It’s been a wonderful life! I served 11 years in the US Army National Guard and Reserves. I've completed 5 marathons, 7 sprint-distance triathlons, one Olympic Distance Triathlon and completed my second ironman triathlon in 14 hrs and 37 minutes. I graduated college and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from Louisiana Tech University. I've spent the night in jail in Louisiana, Kansas, Alabama, Ohio and South Korea. I’ve been SCUBA diving in the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. I worked on the International Space Station program for 12 years. I volunteered for active duty deployment during the first Gulf War but only served stateside during the war. I looked for a monster on Loch Ness and rode on the Marrakech Express in North Africa though Casablanca. I've seen the USS Arizona Memorial, the Coliseum in Rome and sat inside a Japanese WWII bunkers on Kwajalein and Roi-Namur islands in the Pacific. I walked up the Spanish Steps in Rome, Italy. I've seen Mt McKinley, stood on a glacier, hiked to the top of Mt Vesuvius, Diamond Head and Kilauea volcanoes and panned for gold on an icy creek in Alaska. I've been to Mammoth Cave, Diamond Cave and Cave of the Winds. I've hiked to the top of Pike's Peak and have been on 13 cruises on Disney Cruises. I’ve been snorkeling at Molokina crater, went to a luau on Maui, toured the Dole Pineapple Plantation on Oahu and went kayaking in the rainforest on Kauai. I’ve been to Edinburgh Castle, Sterling Castle, Eilean Donan Castle, Leeds Castle, Dover Castle, Rosenborg Slot Castle and Akershus Castle. I've ridden a train across America and crossed the Strait of Gibraltar on a ferry. I've made furniture and flooring out of trees I fell myself on my own property and built my own workshop. I've biked 122 miles on my bike, once swam 3 miles non-stop and have a urinal in my bathroom at home. I've broken my leg, my arm, my nose and my jaw in bar fights but have only been KO'd once. I broke a bouncer's leg and got sued for a million dollars. I rode bikes downhill for 15 miles with my wife and kids in Denali National Park and took a spin on the Millennium Wheel in London, England. I've been to Mexico, England, Scotland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Vatican City, Spain, Liechtenstein, Morocco, South Korea, Canada, Japan, Bahamas, British West Indies, Norway, Sweden, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Russia, Denmark, Finland, Belize, Honduras, China, United States of America and Singapore. I’ve seen dead people in a monastery in Palermo, Sicily. I completed Army basic training, Advance Individual Training, Officer Candidate School and am an honor graduate of the Ordnance Officer Basic Course. I helped raise two children and love my wife. I was the third-shift test conductor for the US Lab module at Kennedy Space Center. I’ve had my rental car stolen and almost got ran over walking on the causeway at 4 in the morning. I've seen and felt the Space Shuttle launch and land at KSC. I was t-boned by a Cadillac while on my brand new Felt B12 triathlon bike while 60 miles into a training ride. I spent three days in ICU after flipping my Z-28 Camaro and getting ejected through the tee-tops. I parachuted out of a Cessna 180 airplane at 3,000 feet. I’ve looked down the barrel of loaded guns pointed at me in anger on more than one occasion. I capsized my boat on the Tennessee River in the winter time and nearly downed. I’ve worked two full-time jobs in college and still managed to find time for school and partying. I've lived with no electricity for over 6 months and rode a motorcycle for a couple of years. I once spent the night in the Mohave Desert. I got stranded in Germany, hitch-hiked from Canns to Nice, France and woke up on a topless beach on the French Riviera. I was on the Speech and Debate Team in college and won numerous competitions in public speaking around the country. I've seen Old Faithful erupt at Yellowstone, felt the spray of Niagara Falls and toured Arlington Cemetery, the Smithsonian and Washington, DC. I’ve tried to straighten the Leaning Tower of Pisa and have been to Bush Gardens, Florida and Dogpatch, Arkansas. I've spent some time in a condo on Gulf Shores and have been to Disney World more than a dozen times. I went snorkeling with whale sharks in the Sea of Cortez. I've been to Sea Word, Universal Studios, Opryland and rode the General Jackson paddlewheel down the Cumberland River. I have snow skied in Colorado, California, Lake Tahoe, the Pocono's and Snowshoe, West Virginia. I went parasailing in Houston over Clear Lake and can water ski but not very well. I’ve been to the Arctic Circle, the Tropic of Capricorn and the Southern Most Point in the US in Key West. I almost got knifed in Morocco and was beaten up pretty bad by 12 fraternity guys in college and spent the evening in a whorehouse in Cologne, Germany. I've worked in a grocery store sacking groceries, a department store as a cashier, a golf course driving a tractor, as a roofer with one leg in a cast, in a drug store mopping floors, a Dominos Pizza delivery driver and an engineer for the Boeing Company. I've been to Dollywood in Gatlinburg, TN and have biked the Cades Cove loop in the Smokey Mountains a few times and once found $450 in one dollar bills in a suitcase in the middle of the interstate and tracked down the owners and returned the money. I've been a Boy Scout leader and spent the night in a Chattanooga Choo-choo sleeper car. I've have seen sea otters, sea lions and whales in the wild in the North Pacific and I've chased dolphins in a boat in the South Pacific. I have been SCUBA diving with dozens of sharks. I’ve made numerous SCUBA dives on the German battleship, Prinz Eugon in the Kwajalein Atoll and found a loaded 3” Japanese artillery shell on the bottom of the ocean floor. I have played 18 holes of golf only once but have been to St. Andrews, Scotland. I've picked up a dead body from the hospital in Seoul, South Korea following an autopsy and took it to the morgue and helped embalm it. I've been riding in the back of a pick-up truck when it flipped over. I've written some poetry that doesn't rhyme and some that does and have been to the home of the Poet Laureate Robert Burns in Scotland. I drank too much booze and smoked two packs of cigarettes a day for nearly 20 years and quit both cold-turkey when I was 33 years old. I've been to Six Flags over Georgia and Underground Atlanta. I spent the night in the back end of a pick-up truck on the streets in Monterey, Mexico and danced with a Mexican gal and sang "Hotel California" in her ear as if it were a love song. I've been to the Sear's Tower in Chicago and have jogged across the Golden Gate Bridge and a few miles down the Alaskan Pipeline. I've hiked the Muir Forrest and sat in Al Capone’s cell in Alcatraz Prison as a tourist and was a real inmate in jail for the first time when I was 17. I played the slots and blackjack in Las Vegas when I was 17 years old and have played roulette in Atlantic City. I drove from Wichita, Kansas to Seattle, Washington in a rented station wagon and lost $300 paying cards in Montana. I spent a few days in Ogden, Utah, Cleveland, Ohio, Barcelona, Spain and Baltimore's Inner Harbor and have been to Chinatown in San Francisco. I've been hit by a car on a motorcycle, been thrown from a horse and been snow-bound in Albuquerque, NM. I've had fist-fights with my father, my brother and a countless men in bars around the country but have never won a fight in my life. I’ve walked the streets of Pompeii and ate pizza in Naples, Italy. I've been to Wittier, Alaska and Stone Mountain, Georgia. I’ve take horse-drawn carriage rides down Bourbon Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans and around Central Park in Manhattan. I've seen Riverdance and Beauty and the Beast at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on Broadway in NYC and Oliver at a London playhouse. I've been Convoy Commander and got an entire convoy lost in the mountains of Colorado. I've toured the USS Alabama in Mobile, the USS Missouri in Honolulu, the USS Constitution in Boston and the USS Constellation in Baltimore. I've toured Mayan ruins in Cozumel, Coba and Chichen Itza and I stood in St Peter's and St Paul's basilicas in Rome, Italy and flew over the North Pole. I’ve been whitewater rafting in Tennessee and Alaska and hiked to the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail in north Georgia. I’ve marveled at Michael Angelo’s paintings in the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican and I logged over 1,000 miles jogging in 2001. I’ve seen the Kon Tiki boat and Viking ships in Oslo. I’ve ridden the ski lift in Lillehammer, ate reindeer steak and whale meat in Norway and dinned on Swedish meatballs in Sweden. I’ve stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria in mid-town Manhattan, been to the top of the Empire State Building, went up in the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty and cried when I found where my grandfather emigrated from Italy through Ellis Island. I have seen the WTC Ground Zero site and roamed the streets of Little Italy, Soho, Wall Street, China Town and rode a bus through Harlem. I stood in the middle of Tiananmen Square, toured the Forbidden City in Beijing and hiked a few miles on the Great Wall of China. I’ve loved and lost the best dog a man could ever have, Jake the Wonder Dawg, head of Ranch Security at the Rogillio Ranch. I’ve climbed the lighthouses of Door County and lookd over Lake Michigan and swam in chilly waters of Green Bay. I’ve cruised the North Sea and the Baltic Sea and ended up in Russia. I’ve been snorkeling in Honduras, spelunking and zip-lining in Belize. I’ve been to the Hermitage, Peterhof Palace, Catherine’s Palace and the Church of Spilled Blood in St Petersburg Russia and stood beside the Vasa Ship in Stockholm, Sweden. I’ve been to Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen and been inside the great Helsinki cathedrals. I’ve flown first class to Honolulu and to Tokyo and to London and been to the Tower of London, Tower Bridge. I drove on the wrong side of the road from London to Dover. I’ve ridden hop/on hop/off buses in NYC, Chicago, Boston, Copenhagen, Lubeck Germany and Stockholm, Sweden. I’ve seen the Red Sox play at Fenway and sang “Sweet Caroline” during the 7th inning stretch. I traced my Rogillio heritage back 7 generations to a Spaniard named Policarpo Rogillio who established Rogillioville in West Feliciana Parish in the 1780s. I cruised from Boston to Nova Scotia and down the St Lawrence Seaway to Montreal on a cruise ship.
2018-08-30 9:21 AM

User image

Pro

Damn......now I'm gonna have to add "I once read Rogillio's eulogy" to my own story.

2018-08-30 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Damn......now I'm gonna have to add "I once read Rogillio's eulogy" to my own story.

That ranks right up there with my "spent the evening in a whorehouse in Cologne, Germany" experience! Ya know, you sorta enjoyed it but feel dirty afterwards....

2018-08-30 11:15 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I think he made up the part about returning those 450 one dollar bills. With his history of visiting cat houses, my guess is he went to the nearest strip club and made it rain...
2018-08-30 11:48 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

I think he made up the part about returning those 450 one dollar bills. With his history of visiting cat houses, my guess is he went to the nearest strip club and made it rain...

LOL

OK, the $450 story.....

My wife and our 2 kids are driving to Louisiana and are on I-20. I see a suitcase in the middle of the road. I pull over, hop out, grab the suitcase, and throw it in the back of our vehicle. We stopped for lunch at Cracker Barrel and I looked for a nametag on the suitcase. I saw a name and address but no phone number. I unzipped a side pocket and reached in and felt paper. I pull out a wad of cash. I nonchalantly said to my wife, "Hold this baby." She nearly flipped. I reached in again and pulled out more cash. All told, there were $450 in one-dollar bills. The ones were in stacks of ten bound with a rubber band. The bundles of 10 ones were bound together with 10 bundles of ones to make $100. There were 4 big stacks and one stack with 5 bundles for a total of $450. I told my Casey, "Must be a stripper." She gave be a dirty look. My son, about 4 at the time, exclaimed, "We're rich!" I said, "No son, this money is not ours. We need to find the people who lost this and get it back to them."

We were unable to find a phone number so when we got home Casey sent a letter to the address that was on the suitcase explaining that we had found their suitcase. Turns out it was a Korean couple that were on their honeymoon when the suitcase blew off their car. Her mother worked as a waitress and had saved her tips for long time for a wedding present for her daughter.

When they came to pick up the suitcase, they were so grateful. They said they never expected to recover the suitcase, much less the money. She said, "We think who fine suitcase think I strippa." I said, "Oh no! We never thought that!" Casey gave me a sideways glance as I bit my lip. They were so grateful they brought us two bottles of premium whisky as a gift. I did not drink at the time so gave them to a buddy of mine.
2018-08-30 11:53 AM

User image

Pro

I once found $1,300,000 in a false bed of a pickup truck.  Does that count?

2018-08-30 11:59 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Wow! I'm sure you did not give it back to the 'owners'!
2018-08-30 12:19 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

No, but I gave them a ride to the bus station when they denied ownership.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-08-30 12:19 PM

2018-08-30 4:29 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

No, but I gave them a ride to the bus station when they denied ownership.

And the money is now in mayonnaise jars out behind the barn?
2018-08-30 5:39 PM

User image

Pro

I'll tell you this.....when 4 guys in their 20's and early 30's, making 40K a year, sit at a table and count 1.3 mil, that nobody wants to claim, there is not a sound in the room.  Every guy is thinking the same thing......man, nobody would miss 10 or 20 grand each....and we can absolutely put it to good use. 

But you just don't.....because it's not  yours and it's wrong....and it goes against everything you are fighting against every damn day......but I understand the temptation. 

2018-08-31 7:39 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Since when did funerals become "by invitation only" events? Do they send out little invitation cards and request you RSVP?
2018-08-31 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
My favorite was one of the guys speaking mentioned that, yes, mccain had a temper, yes, he got into fights. But at the end of the day he got over it and knew it was just politics and made peace. He was that kind of guy. Always able to rise above the fray.

I get it. I doubt a day or night went by that he didn't remember his time in Hanoi. But I think you gotta be that kind of guy in the end; the kind that rises above the fray. I'd have MADE Trump deliver the eulogy. He then gets to fling the final arrow and Trump has to eat crow on the world stage. All the while looking like the bigger man at the end. Instead we get the impression of a bitter, petty little man who didn't rise above politics. And the left is celebrating him like he was the second coming of obama.
2018-09-02 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I think people are mourning the loss of a congressman who didn't appear to be bought, in a time when so many on both sides lack integrity. I didn't agree with him on everything, but he was a good man and he gave a lot for our country. 

I know I play a liberal in this forum compared to you guys, but I was considering a vote for McCain until he picked Palin as his running mate. That was such a bad choice (and in the end I'm not sure it was his), but I blame him a bit for today's political climate because of that. Giving a voice to Palin gave rise to a lot of the hateful divisive politics we see today.

The best thing about the service was GW handing a piece of candy to Michelle Obama in the front row. I love those two. 

2018-09-02 11:03 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro
Tejas
Stacers, politics aside…. I'm flying in to DEN today to meet wife and daughter, who are already there. She's attending DU this year so we're getting her situated in her dorm, orientation, etc.

After that, we want to get in some hiking. Most likely hit up RMNP, but do know of any local stuff that is nice? Maybe not as far as RMNP? Some nice 6-12 mile loop trails would be nice, but any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
2018-09-03 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by mdg2003 Stacers, politics aside…. I'm flying in to DEN today to meet wife and daughter, who are already there. She's attending DU this year so we're getting her situated in her dorm, orientation, etc. After that, we want to get in some hiking. Most likely hit up RMNP, but do know of any local stuff that is nice? Maybe not as far as RMNP? Some nice 6-12 mile loop trails would be nice, but any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Ooh, so many choices... From DU, some nice hikes in the Front Range that are just 20-35 min from there would be:

- Matthews Winters Park ~ 5 miles, cool red rock views. You can stop and be tourists at Red Rocks when you're done. https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7028968/matthews-winters-lollipop 

- Evergreen Mountain ~5 miles, in the trees with nice views of Mt. Evans from the top, in my backyard so obviously awesome Hit Lariat Lodge or Murphy's for good beers and food after. https://www.5280.com/2016/06/hike-we-like-evergreen-mountain-loop/  

- Staunton State Park ~ Staunton Ranch/Old Mill/Bear Paw/Mason Creek Loop probably ~7 miles, climby but pretty with aspens, an old mill, and killer views from the overlooks on Bear Paw https://www.protrails.com/trail/900/boulder-denver-golden-fort-collins-lyons-old-mill-mason-creek-loop

- Guanella Pass and Kenosha Pass aspens are already starting to change, nice hiking up both of those, a little further out - probably ~ 1 hr from Denver

Rocky Mountain can be a zoo, but the elk are super cool to watch this time of year and Estes is cute so worth the ~2 hr drive. My favorite hike in Rocky Mountain National Park is up to Lake of Glass - it's amazing, and gorgeous along the way, and you tend to lose the crowds once you're a couple miles in. If you don't want to do the whole 8-9 miles round trip to Lake of Glass/Sky Pond, you can always turn around at Loch Vale which is amazing on it's own. http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/sky-pond.htm 

2018-09-03 8:50 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Stacers

Originally posted by mdg2003 Stacers, politics aside…. I'm flying in to DEN today to meet wife and daughter, who are already there. She's attending DU this year so we're getting her situated in her dorm, orientation, etc. After that, we want to get in some hiking. Most likely hit up RMNP, but do know of any local stuff that is nice? Maybe not as far as RMNP? Some nice 6-12 mile loop trails would be nice, but any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Ooh, so many choices... From DU, some nice hikes in the Front Range that are just 20-35 min from there would be:

- Matthews Winters Park ~ 5 miles, cool red rock views. You can stop and be tourists at Red Rocks when you're done. https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7028968/matthews-winters-lollipop 

- Evergreen Mountain ~5 miles, in the trees with nice views of Mt. Evans from the top, in my backyard so obviously awesome Hit Lariat Lodge or Murphy's for good beers and food after. https://www.5280.com/2016/06/hike-we-like-evergreen-mountain-loop/  

- Staunton State Park ~ Staunton Ranch/Old Mill/Bear Paw/Mason Creek Loop probably ~7 miles, climby but pretty with aspens, an old mill, and killer views from the overlooks on Bear Paw https://www.protrails.com/trail/900/boulder-denver-golden-fort-collins-lyons-old-mill-mason-creek-loop

- Guanella Pass and Kenosha Pass aspens are already starting to change, nice hiking up both of those, a little further out - probably ~ 1 hr from Denver

Rocky Mountain can be a zoo, but the elk are super cool to watch this time of year and Estes is cute so worth the ~2 hr drive. My favorite hike in Rocky Mountain National Park is up to Lake of Glass - it's amazing, and gorgeous along the way, and you tend to lose the crowds once you're a couple miles in. If you don't want to do the whole 8-9 miles round trip to Lake of Glass/Sky Pond, you can always turn around at Loch Vale which is amazing on it's own. http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/sky-pond.htm 

Great tips! I’m not heading there but always good to get tips from the locals. Eventually I will end up ther.,,.
2018-09-03 9:27 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Thanks! We are in Boulder tonight. I didn’t get to read this until just now. We went up Boulder Canyon trail this evening for a few miles before dinner. It was nice when the trail was away from the road and it was kind of busy. But we’ll consider it a bonus hike since we didn’t anticipate leaving Denver til tomorrow.

I think we will end up at RMNP tomorrow and will look into the Glass lake. It’s one that we haven’t been on yet, so I look forward to it.

Thanks for the tips. It’s always good to hear from the local folks. We will definitely try to hit a couple items from your list. Pics and trail report to follow!
2018-09-04 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Thanks! We are in Boulder tonight. I didn’t get to read this until just now. We went up Boulder Canyon trail this evening for a few miles before dinner. It was nice when the trail was away from the road and it was kind of busy. But we’ll consider it a bonus hike since we didn’t anticipate leaving Denver til tomorrow.

I think we will end up at RMNP tomorrow and will look into the Glass lake. It’s one that we haven’t been on yet, so I look forward to it.

Thanks for the tips. It’s always good to hear from the local folks. We will definitely try to hit a couple items from your list. Pics and trail report to follow!

If you drove to Colorado Spring you could hike Pike's Peak. I hiked that several years ago and it is an awesome hike. You start in Manitu Springs. It's about 12 miles to the top. They actually have an annual marathon there that is deemed the toughest marathon in the US. It's called Pike's Peak Assent. The assent is the 1/2 mary and the round trip is the full marathon. There is a little camp/store about half way up to stop. Just a little log cabin....wood burning stove to dry your socks, bottle water and snacks. Warning - the last couple of miles is brutal! Once you get above the tree line the air is so thin it makes it difficult to breath even just sitting....yet alone hiking and going higher in elevation. I think PP is 14,200'. I hiked to the top and was gonna hike back down but a storm rolled in so I took the cog rail car back down. If you want an 'easy' hike, take the cog railway up and then hike back down.

2018-09-04 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

If you end up back in Boulder, the Mesa Trail along the Flatirons is easy but beautiful. Start at Chatauqua or Eldorado Springs. 

2018-09-05 7:48 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
We made it up RMNP for the day. I didn't realize until looking at the actual trail map, but we had done the Lake of Glass/Sky pond before. I believe we did them the same day as visiting Andrews Tarn/Glacier; one of the neatest spots in the park IMO. We opted to hike the loop SW of Bear lake, with a trip up Glacier Gorge. GG is really scenic and we enjoyed every step of it until the weather turned and we had to bail down the mountain. We got in the car and turned over the motor right about the time the rain hit! Best timing ever.

My wife had left SA several days before I did and was ready to come home today. The early flight out was the best choice(standby) so we are already back in SA. I'll probably get some more time in Boulder to look around, oldest daughter wants to go to Law School up there. I'd never spent time there, but it seems to be a pretty nice community. Mesa trail…will have to wait til next time.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-09-05 7:49 PM
2018-09-05 7:53 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

If you drove to Colorado Spring you could hike Pike's Peak. I hiked that several years ago and it is an awesome hike. You start in Manitu Springs. It's about 12 miles to the top. They actually have an annual marathon there that is deemed the toughest marathon in the US. It's called Pike's Peak Assent. The assent is the 1/2 mary and the round trip is the full marathon. There is a little camp/store about half way up to stop. Just a little log cabin....wood burning stove to dry your socks, bottle water and snacks. Warning - the last couple of miles is brutal! Once you get above the tree line the air is so thin it makes it difficult to breath even just sitting....yet alone hiking and going higher in elevation. I think PP is 14,200'. I hiked to the top and was gonna hike back down but a storm rolled in so I took the cog rail car back down. If you want an 'easy' hike, take the cog railway up and then hike back down.

They drove up Pikes Sunday before I go there. We took the train up a few years back and I still remember seeing a guy running up from the trail into the parking lot on top. He filled his camelback, turned around and headed back down. Impressed the heck out of me!
2018-09-06 9:06 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Looking up Glacier Gorge

(IMG_4869.JPG)

(IMG_4874.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_4869.JPG (96KB - 0 downloads)