General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/18 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 10

2006-09-18 4:45 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/18
That thread was getting kind of long...lets start a new one for the week!

2006-09-18 4:48 AM
in reply to: #544049

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/18
(John, I'm copying your post over here from this morning so it's on the new thread.)

JOHN (JPH35609) WRITES:

Okay. I have two 5k races on my schedule for this year, one on Thanksgiving Day and one on new Year's Eve day, either of which could potentially require snowshoes.

Are we doing weekly weigh-ins, or weight change postings here?

For those of you that have been doing this for a while, try to remember what finishing your first week felt like. Mine is a combination of feeling good about myself and pleased with results so far, with a little bit of omigod, I have to do this again thrown in.

Thanks for the support.
2006-09-18 4:51 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
My weight today is 149, last Monday was 148. I am not feeling good about that, but hoping that I have a bit of post-event bloat which sometimes happens to me. I think honestly it's more likely a result of eating whatever I wanted last week and thinking that somehow magically just being a part of this group would take care of that!

I am leaving for a week at the beach on Saturday, and I really didn't want to hit it at this weight. No excuses, I've made some bad eating choices. This week I'd like to make some better ones. And the other key I need is to be consistent with some strength training, because that really seems to make a difference. I've asked my coach to help me tune my workouts better.

On my tri-training goals, I am going to work on improving run speed and bike-to-run transitions, as well as a focus on endurance for my upcoming Oly.

And I want to have some FUN!
2006-09-18 5:03 AM

Regular
Thanks Ann.  Have fun at the beach. 
2006-09-18 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Congrats on your first week John, I know exactly how you feel! Pretty exciting stuff. Have you ever done a 5k before? I did my first in August, I was so excited I almost barfed. Hopefully you'll hold it together better than I did. I did better for my second 5k about a week ago; I really like these races, they are a BLAST! You will have so much fun!

Ann -- try and hang tough through your vacation and HAVE FUN! Every day is a new day to make good choices for yourself!

I weigh on Wednesdays, hopefully I'll be down a couple pounds then (please please please).

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-18 7:01 AM
2006-09-18 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

Hola chicas y chico

i weigh on saturdays... well this saturday i won't cuz i'll  be on my way home and sunday i'll finally be able to weigh without my clothes on again whoohooo lol

i think i'm gonna go lay down a little after work cuz my tummy is killing me.. feels like i got a knot in my intestents.... but i wanna go for a swim later... my teacher recommended a pool that supposedly is clean lol we'll see..

so what do you all have planned for today? and john - what are you doing infront of the computer instead of working out!?!?!?! lol just kidding...

hasta luego,

kathie

2006-09-18 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
No weight loss this week.  Still @ 223.
2006-09-18 7:33 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Good morning peeps! I don't get online much on the weekend, so I'm just checking in now. Sounds like everyone had a good weekend. TMZ, hope your puppydog is better. I know what you are going through- we went through the same almost one year ago exactly.

I had a hard ride on Saturday- 30 miles through extra hilly country. My left quad really started bothering me on the ride so I took Sunday off and I'm considering taking today off too. I don't want to further irritate it. This past spring I had all kinds of inflammation in the soft tissue that connects my quad to my knee and it cost $90 in meds and $600 in PT and about 4 months to get past it. So, I'm freaking out because it was feeling those familiar twinges. Not as bad as it was this spring, but still enough to freak me out. I noticed my HR was a little higher than normal on my run Friday anyway so I'm thinking I need to back off a bit. I've still got 6 weeks until my du and I can do all the distances ok except I need to build up one more mile on the run. (total run is 8 miles, and my long so far is 7).

Weighed in this morning at about 149. Woo Hoo. I lOOOOOVE breaking that 150 barrier. Also went shopping, all my tops are a size M and the pants are various sizes. I love trying on 10s and them being too big. I bought 2 size 10s, 2 size 8s (I'm about 5 lbs away from being able to wear them without it looking like they are too small), and a skirt in a size 6 that for some reason fits now. I'm thinking it was mis-sized. I got it at Ross' so you never know.

Hope everyone has a great day!

2006-09-18 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Good morning, everyone!

Congratulations to those who have had weight-loss successes, as well as to those who raced this past weekend. 

Michelle, I hope that your shepherd is doing well.

John, I agree that we should have weekly weigh-ins... I usually take my Tuesday weight as the 'official' weigh-in weight.  However, I will say that this is the first time in recent history where I have gone out of town and NOT gained weight!!!!  And, interestingly, aside from aching feet, I was not worn out by the end of the trip... my guess is that the two are directly correlated.

Sherry, I hope that all is going well with you after your surgery.

Have a great Monday, everyone!

2006-09-18 9:12 AM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Good Morning everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. *Yawn* Still sooo sleepy this morning. It was a long but fun weekend! We walked EVERYWHERE so that should compensate for all the beach food I ate HAHA! Weighed myself this morning just to see if I gained and I was actually down a pound. I guess we did more walking than I thought we did. Today I am starting the Couch to 5k program. I will let you know how tonight goes!
2006-09-18 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
My weekend did not go well - too much carnival food. Major water weight gain, sigh. I shall log faithfully for a few days and hopefully it will go away.

2006-09-18 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
I weigh in today. I'll probably be up a pound or 2. I'm talented...I bounce around in the same weight decade for MONTHS before I finally get it together to break into the next one down. I've been in the 250's since April or May.

I had a bad day yesterday, I believe it was due to hormones. I was crying pretty much non-stop for 45 minutes (while at church, of all things). I'm still exploring that.

I get the bike I'm borrowing next week...yay! Don't even need to worry about a bike rack just yet...the front wheel comes off easy enough and I'll be able to put it in my car. Now I just need to find a trainer for when it starts getting too cold to ride (and I'll need some bike shorts and a helmet, and bike computer...)

My first 5k is this week...on Wednesday! I'm excited...it should be fun. The weather should be ok...cool (high 50's) so I should get to heated on the run.
2006-09-18 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

Hiya I finished the Dave Scott TexasMan Triathlon yesterday.

I know I am not the top notched hot shot triathlete but I decided to make my race public.

Kinda nervous.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks. 

2006-09-18 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

Happy Monday everybody!

OK I'm closing at work so no training today...that's not so happy...but otherwise in a good mood.

I was able to get a decent bike ride in this weekend which was nice.  I can't wait till spring when my schedule frees up a bit and I can add more training time.

Ahh well.

Oh and, everyone just remember, if you're in this for the long haul then 1 pound here or a bad choice of meal there isn't the greatest or worst thing in the world.  It's when you make it a trend that it becomes a problem.  I once heard a saying back when I was helping other people lose weight, and it stuck with me now that I am on that journey myself.

"Nobody makes the right choices every single time.  If you make the right choice 80% of the time you will get to where you are going."

I try and focus on that.  Just making the right choice 80% of the time.  The other 20% of the time I try and just make sure that if I am going to eat something it is for the right reason.  Does that mean I'm always eating healthy?  No.  What it means is I look at the piece of coffee cake and if I REALLY want it I'll eat it.  I ask myself, is the craving I am having right now worth endulging?  Am I eating this because I want to and not because I'm bored, or depressed, or lonely, or blah blah blah.

Just some of my thoughts for a Monday.

Joshua

2006-09-18 12:13 PM
in reply to: #544474

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
tri_sandz - 2006-09-18 11:18 AM

Hiya I finished the Dave Scott TexasMan Triathlon yesterday.

I know I am not the top notched hot shot triathlete but I decided to make my race public.

Kinda nervous.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks. 

That's a pretty nice bike spilt you got there! And I'm sure you'll see big gains in the swim technique and run fitness. Good job.
2006-09-18 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Hi all! I've been leaving posting until later on in the day, because y'all are still sleeping when I get up here in England! Weighed myself on Saturday, 173 pounds, which is down 2. Yaaay!

Bought an elliptical trainer off a friend and have used that yesterday for the first time.

I'm a bit sick, I went out for Mexican food on Saturday, and drank Sangria, and felt foul for the rest of the weekend! Still suffering with a sore tummy, but am getting back on deck today. It serves me right for thinking that I can drink AND train, and now my body has told me irrefutably that alcohol is no longer welcome. Bugger!

Tri Sandz- please do log your races and make them all public. How else can we tell you how brilliant you are? AND, even the super-fit, super-experienced triathletes on this site will be encouraging and brilliantly supportive, so don't be nervous.

I hope everyone had a brilliant weekend.

Michelle, big loves to your dog. I'm sure she'll be fine. And, I love your new avatar, that's an awesome photo. I wish I was that photogenic!

Have a great day all!

2006-09-18 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

hey there!!

congrats on your race! haven't read the report yet, but i sure will tomorrow in the morning when i got some time at work...

i've had a great day today!! i was wearing my new jeans (the ones i had bought on saturday to reward myself for the weightloss) to work today and i got so many compliments!! everybody was like "omg kathie!! you look so SKINNY in those pants!!" SKINNY!!! i've never been called that..

of course the chick who said it said it to encourage me to lose more, but i realized that i'm not the FAT chick anymore... you can call me THICK now lol whoohooo

i went for a swim in the evening... i went to that other pool and it really was clean.... only two lanes for public use though... kinda sucked... there was one for fast and one for slow swimmers... i watched them for a while and there were only 3 on the fast lane and about 8 on the slow one, but i decided not to bother the fast ones by being in their way all the time...

so i dealt with the slow ones and they were REALLY slow (which was kind of cool cuz it made me feel fast lol)... my time was 13:44 for 500m, but i had to wait for a couple of seconds here and there before i could start swimming... so i could have been about 30secs faster...

wow i'm really good at "i could have been if..." bla bla.. i always find an excuse why it's not like that... the run was crappy cuz i was running uphill (not cuz >> I << sucked), the swim was slow cuz of the OTHERS... yeah the others and mother nature are great to blame things on cuz they can't  say anything about it....

maybe i should start accepting that it's my fault when something doesn't work out quite well... my thought for the day...

well i'm gonna go to bed now... have a great evening and later a good night!!

oh and michelle how's the puppy?

~Kathie 

2006-09-18 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Hi everyone!  Just finished my last race of the season on Saturday, which means I'll have to start being a little more careful on the calories.  When I train hard, I get so hungry, but when I settle back into an hour or so a day, I seem to settle down.  Someone mentioned that whenever they had a hard training day or race, they felt like they "deserved" to have something bad to eat.  I never really thought about it that way, but I do that all of the time!  I finished my race on Saturday and immediately went out for pizza and chocolate.  I just don't feel like eating healthy after a race, which is probably when it does my body the most good.  I wonder why that is?  I feel like I go along for awhile, eating all the good and healthy food I'm supposed to, then BAM, off to the crap again.  I'm in a dangerous place right now, cause my mind just isn't into it.  I'm going out of town for a few days and will take some reading materials, but to be quite honest, I'm in the mood to eat junk and be bad for a few days.  Pretty scary to admit that, but I guess deep down, I feel like "I deserve" to be bad.  Need the mindframe that "I deserve" to eat healthy.  Anyone have any suggestions?
2006-09-18 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Hey Suzanne, make sure to give your leg time to recover! Nice job breaking the 150 barrier, love those low numbers for your new clothes, how exciting is that! I don't think I'd ever take off the size 6 skirt, I'd wear it every day -- inside out! hee.

YAY, Sharon on not gaining weight while out of town, that just ROCKS! I know how hard that is to do! You get major kudos for sticking to your plan!

Natalie -- glad you had fun at Bike week! Have a good time on your first couch-to-5k session, I think there are several people on this thread doing that program as well!

Hey Elizabeth, I'm sure the water weight will drop off fast, don't let it get you down! Like Josh says, 80-20!

Peggy -- have fun at your first 5k! Whoo hoo, we'll be rooting you on!

Great job on your race tri_sandz! You really are fast on the bike! Great photo too!

Jacqui -- Congratulations on those pounds lost, Whoo hoo!

Skinny kathie, I think I'd have to wear those jeans AND Suzanne's skirt all the time! Congratulaions, all the work is paying off isn't it!

And Tammy, what an awesome half mary! YOU ROCK! I don't want you to go off the deep end with junk food and feel bad about your eating because then you'll be focused on that instead of the awesome things you just accomplished. Can you give yourself permission for one "gourmet" meal then focus on super healthy eating all the rest of the time? Maybe take along some of your FAVORITE pictures of yourself running and use them as motivation to stay on track?

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-18 5:24 PM
2006-09-18 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
I got really great news from the doc today. He released me to do whatever I want to do. His only instruction was to take it slowly and stop if the knee starts hurting. I don't plan to over do it, but it is nice to be free to get serious with my workouts. I'm going to stick to walking until I lose some weight. I don't want to put to much strain on my knee by running w/ all this weight.

I finally figured out a way to get back to the pool. I promised my 8 year old that I would take him swimming after dinner if he did all of his homework before I got home from work. He did the work and made me keep my promise. We now have a running deal that will hopefully get me to the pool at least 2-3 times per week. I only did 500m, but i am proud of myself for going and getting back in the pool. Well, it's been a long day so i think I'll call it a night.

2006-09-18 9:38 PM

User image

Master

That's great news about getting your doc's clearance, congratulations! And that's also cool about your arrangement with your son for getting to the pool! That sounds like a great idea... enjoy those pool workouts and have fun!

Nighty-night all, hope everyone has "skinny" dreams!

2006-09-19 12:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Good morning all, it's 6.27am in England, so I'm guessing that I might be the first one of us to be up and at 'em! Except for Kathie, good morning flower, if you're awake!

I propose a toast, here with my grapefruit juice, to friends who I haven't met, but whose lives  I feel so priveleged to be a tiny part of! I feel that we'll need to organise some sort of get-together, which will give me an awesome excuse to come to the states....

Have a great day everyone, think strong and live stronger.

Sunshine to all!

Jac

2006-09-19 12:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
Happy Monday to everyone!! I'm getting this in late, it's Tuesday for most of you but it's the thought that counts.
While I was riding on the trainer in the garage yesterday my almost 5 yr old comes in and puts on her bike helmet and hops on her bike to race me!!! She lines up her bike right next to mine and makes like we're racing. She even changed hand positions on the bars when I did. She was in there "racing me" for a good 20 minutes!! She can't even completely ride by herself yet but the will is there!! I feel mini tris in her future. As a Dad I was beaming with pride!! She's awesome.
Have a great week everyone!!! Keep making those steady gains!!!
2006-09-19 1:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

good morning everybody

ugh jac it's 8:11am here and it's really hard to keep my eyes open... my roommate kept me awake forever last night and i thought i had to kill her... she's nice but sometimes she's sooo sooo annoying... oh well aren't we all at times...

it's funny that you mentioned a meeting... i was thinking about the same thing this morning while having breakfast!! haha maybe we can find a nice race somewhere in the states next year and all participate together? that would be soo cool...

today will be a very long day for me... got to work in the morning AND in the afternoon... let's see how my new italian coworker is doing this morning... if i can feed her all the knowledge about prices etc. i can share the late shift with her... 1.5 hrs each... that way i'd have some time to relax before the run...

today it's 7 mins of running and 3 of walking and i honestly don't have a very good feeling about it... i felt kind of tired lately... i just don't get enough sleep... oh well... 4 more days and i'll be home...

guess i should get my lazy butt up and get dressed.. work's calling... talk to you all later!!
~Kathie

2006-09-19 4:27 AM

User image

Master
Morning all! Up and at 'em!

Chris, that so cute about your daughter! I wish I'd been encouraged to do sports when I was little, though to be fair I think I self-selected art and books and that kind of stuff. Did you see the thread in the Triathlon Talk forum about the girl who took first face place in the kids triathlon? I love those pictures!

Jac and Kathie -- come on, can't we get together in England, Germany, Madrid, oh heck.... anywhere but the states?!? I want to go where the accents are!

You'll do fine on your run tonight Kath, you can do it!

I'm off to the pool for a swim as soon as they open! Talk at ya'll later...

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-19 4:28 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/18 Rss Feed  

of 10