General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/18 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 10

2006-09-29 1:54 PM
in reply to: #554930

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/18
kathie - 2006-09-28 3:28 PM

hey that sounds interesting!! where can i find information on that? i've never heard of it before from my ww groupleader and i've never read about it on the ww website for germany...

There should be more info on it on the US website...can you check that out?

later i had another doctor's apointment.. this time for my (guys cover your eyes - you don't want to read about this lol) "pink problem" i've had for like a month now... he said it's 1. cuz of the 3months-birth-prevention-shot (no clue what it's really called), 2. cuz of the massive weightloss 3. stress (spain, work, school etc.)... yeah that's pretty much it.. he told me not to worry... it's not uncommon...

KathieĀ 

Breakthrough bleeding is very common on Depo-Provera (that the bc). Add on top of that all the other stuff you've mentioned, and I'm not suprised.

Glad you're feeling better.

2006-09-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: #544049

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Okay, Gents, cover your eyes on the "TMI" female stuff...

For those of us in perimenopause... this can be QUITE a problem... to the point that swimming is impossible for a good eight days out of the month... Strenuous exercise is out for me for at least 4 days a month... even with "internal protection".

2006-09-30 2:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

May I be the first to wish everyone a happy weekend! I am, so far, having a great one, because I've lost weight again this week!!

My weight is down to 171 pounds which is really exciting!

Hurrah!!!!

Hope everyone is well, and has a great weekend. SOrry I've been slack with the PMing and Inspiring, I will aim to fit more of that into my day this week.

Hugs and sunshine to all, Jac

2006-09-30 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Congratulations, Jac, on your weight loss!

I am busy checking the online weather forecast to see if I wear fleece for my 55 miler this morning, of if I can get away with lighter-weight leggings... looks as if I can go lighter.

The "Tater Tour" bike ride ends up with "fully-loaded baked potatoes and root beer floats"... mmm... I will need at least some of this to put back in the 2500+ calories I intend to burn on the ride!

I hope that everyone else has a great weekend, as well!!!  I get to fly to Vancouver (for work) on Sunday, and will be hanging out there (in meetings) for the week.  I do hope to have a chance to enjoy what I hear is a very beautiful city!

- Sharon

2006-09-30 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Morning all!

CONGRATS JAC, that's great! I'm doing a serious happy dance for you! Just imagine impossibly uncoordinated spastic dancing and you'll have the right picture!

FIFTY-FIVE miles Sharon?!?! Wow! I think you definitely get a loaded backed-potato after THAT ride! I hope you have a great time! And I hope your fanny forgives you!

I'm still nursing my back (I hurt it on Thursday) in hopes that it will feel better for my first ever tri tomorrow morning! Hopefully it will keep improving and not cause me too much trouble tomorrow. I'M SO NERVOUS!!!!

We go pick up our packets at noon today, that should be alot of fun!!

I didn't get around to anybody's blog yesterday as I was too busy whining and sulking about my back, but I will today!

Happy weekend everyone, talk to you later!

Michelle

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-30 8:44 AM
2006-09-30 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

hey everybody!!

jac - congrats on the weightloss!!! i haven't lost any the last two weeks.. no wonder with the food i was eating though... i need to change that!!!!

sharon - 55 miles?? wow... have fun!!! and enjoy the potatos!!

michelle - i hope your back will get better and you'll have a lot of fun at the tri tomorrow.. please tell your hubby to take lots of pictures...

i've got my new training plan now... i'll get another new one in 5 weeks again, cuz this one is a light one to get me back to where i was before i stopped going to the gym lol

since i was at the gym already i decided to run on the treadmill - for the first time in my life lol my run was good but ppl kept looking at me funny cuz i was running with this BIG smile on my face... i was so happy about running and that i'm able to run so it was even fun on that machine... plus it made me run at a steady pace...

BUT it also gave me the horrible facts.. i'm even slower than i thought... almost 9 mins / kilometer... !!! that means i have to improve my "speed" 3 minutes till end of april, since i want to run the 5k sub 30mins...

but then on the other side... 4 weeks ago i was struggling with running 5 mins straight and now i'm doing 8 without any problems... and that's only one month... i have almost half a year till the 5k so i think it's definitely possible!!

my training plan leads me to run 30 mins straight and when i get there i'll stay there and just work on the speed... is that a good idea or should i do something different? gosh i'm so unexperienced with running...

tonight a friend of mine wanted to come over and go for a swim in our pool.. it's only 12.5 meters so i don't use it too often... i rather go to the big pool at the swim club... even though i didn't want to i told her ok and we made plans for tonight.. but when i called her she told me that she had decided not to come and has different plans now.. i hate when ppl do that... but this was for sure the last time i've made plans with that person... yeah guess what.. it's the same chick who asked me for gas money cuz she was feeding my cats... oh well.. i guess i'll never learn...

so now i have absolutely no clue what to do.. i've worked out enough for the day but since i bought my first pair of biking tights i'm thinking about going for a short ride.. maybe 30 mins since it's already getting a little dark... but i'm so unmotivated... i hate changes in plans.. they always confuse me... guess i should be a soldier so there is always someone who tells me what to do next lmao just kidding

well i hope you all have a great weekend and we're waiting for your race report michelle!!

Kathie

2006-09-30 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Hey everyone...you all okay with a new guy joining in here?  I could use all the support I can get around the weight loss thing.  Newbie in the truest sense of the word....been training according to plan for about a week.  Currently sitting at 205 and figure I have about 35 pounds minimum to lose to get me where I want to be.

Don't want to intrude but would love to play....

2006-09-30 1:52 PM
in reply to: #556450

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
gaiaserver - 2006-09-30 7:15 PM

Hey everyone...you all okay with a new guy joining in here? I could use all the support I can get around the weight loss thing. Newbie in the truest sense of the word....been training according to plan for about a week. Currently sitting at 205 and figure I have about 35 pounds minimum to lose to get me where I want to be.

Don't want to intrude but would love to play....

J

welcome to the group J

what plan are you on, have you ever done a tri, what are your goals? how are you losing weight? any special diet or "just" the sports? please tell us a little about yourself  

~Kathie 

2006-09-30 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

MICHELLE - have a great race tomorrow!!!  I know you will do well in spite of your back!

JAMES - welcome to the group!

KATHIE - ... sorry to hear that the cat-lady has done it again... at least you now know her habits

The TATER TOUR was a lot of fun (wearing my cool t-shirt as I write).  We had a Beautiful day for the ride, clear, very light winds, 50s-60s for the ride.  Miles 20-43 had quite a few hills... I spent almost 36 minutes in zone four (wow!).  The post-ride baked potato was awesome, but I went with a plain root beer rather than the float.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone!
- Sharon

2006-09-30 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

wow sharon you're my hero of the day... i just rode my bike home from my parents' house which is about 5 or 6k (but pretty much all of it up the hill) and i was DONE when i got home lol

since i've been working mainly on the running part it's getting better and i feel great but then i swim or go for a ride on my bike and i'm all depressed again... patience!! lol never had it but i guess i gotta learn... i've only been here for a month and i've made great improvements and i have to learn that everything takes it's time...

2006-10-01 1:22 AM

So yeah...I officially rock.

42 miles this morning, avg speed 17.7 mph (lots of slow downs for turns, I was 18+ a great deal of the trip). I kept up with my dad and a bunch of men who were very surprised that I could ride so fast. Yay me!

No weight loss yet. Feeling some montly woe right now, so hopefully the scale will drop in a week or two.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend!

2006-10-01 2:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

good morning girls...

i'm getting kinda depressed... i've been constantly gaining weight over the last two weeks.. over 4lbs... and i didn't eat THAT much or THAT bad... plus i worked out... i don't get it... it's really freaking me out...

i wanted to go for a bike ride today but it's been raining all morning and the weather forecast says the chances for more rain today are over 90%... so i'm not sure if i should go or not - right now it's nice outside but i don't feel like riding and it starts raining and i'm in the middle of nowhere... i don't need to get sick again...

well today is the official first day of my membership in the swim club... so maybe i'll go there and do something... or i'll just follow the plan and do nothing today... oh i don't know... someone come here and slap me in the face to wake me up...  

2006-10-01 2:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Go Tanna, what a star!!

I'm off for a ride today if I can manage it; I'm a bit concerned that the weather is going to pack in shortly though, and I should be making the most of the last of the sunny days.

I rode a 19 mile last weekend, would like to go further today if possible, just not really sure of a good route yet. Never mind, I'll sort something out!

Michelle- it's your race! I'm white lighting you frantically!! Give it heaps, and you'll float through! Be sure to file a race report so that we can all hear every detail of the race.

I hope everyone else has had a brilliant Saturday, and is gearing up for a relaxing Sunday.

Jac

2006-10-01 2:55 AM
in reply to: #556485

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

okay, I can share....never done a triathlon all on my own.  I was part of a team where I got to do the swim...didnt train and boy was I surprised about the OWS.  I jumped in and started cranking, looked up and realized that I was swimming in a 45 degree direction away from everyone else.  Must have look funny to those on the shore.  Turned and swam back towards the marker (which seemed millions of miles away) and happened upon an old guy who was drowning.  He was calling for help and all the "helpers" were chatting amongst themselves.  I swam to him and told him to relax and float on his back, I would help him stay up.  All that went through my mind was that he was going to grab me and drag me down.  By the time I got the attention of some help and made sure the guy was attached to some flotation device, there weren't many swimmers left on the outbound leg.  I think I finished fifth from the last but with a decent excuse to tell my team biker.  In fact, a woman who came out of the water behind me came up to us in the transition and hugged me for saving the guy's life (not sure it was that dire of a situation) and called me a hero.  She said most people wouldn't have stopped.  I can't even remember wat the time was but I think it was about 23 minutes for the 1/2 mile....yikes.  BTW, I did have a word with the race directors about the inattentive swim "helpers".  They were somewhat mortified which I saw as a good sign.

To get myself in back in shape where I can actually train, I am doing the winter maintenance program, which I will modify to incorporate the run at a slower pace.  I am fearful of my knees taking a pounding with all this extra weight.  In December, I will switch to one of the 20-week sprint programs so that I complete it on race day (May 6th).  My goals for the forseeable future are to complete a sprint triathlon in May 2007, followed by one race every month thru Oct 2007.  My "real" goals are to save myself from developing Type 2 diabetes, preventing my body from breaking down any further under obese conditions, and probably healing myself mentally and spiritually around feeling the way I do about myself right know...I'm tired of being fat, I'm tired of feeling fat, and I'm tired of being pissed at being fat.  AND I tired of just being tired.

Special diets don't work for me.  I have tried them all and am willing to try anything new (for about a week).  Then I start feeling deprived and pissed about being deprived.  Which leads me straight back to the chip bags, the chocolate, the wine, the pasta, the burgers and fries, the beer, the pizza, the pizza, and the pizza.  Oh, did I mention the pizza?.  So I thought I would try another approach....exercise.  Exercise with a goal is probably a better description of my current approach.  I landed on triathlons because I have so much respect for people who actually do these things...it is so amazing.  And I am not just talking about IM, I am talking about those BOPers who are doing it just to satisfy some dream.  I want to be one of you all.  I want to be able to call myself a triathlete.

My appraoach is just exercise-based.  No food restrictions.  But the funny thing is, I am already making better choices and drinking a ton more water.  Since I have started, I had dropped from about 208 to 205 without much control over what I am eating.  I still have chips (but not as many), no chocolate (it seems like the training satisfies that craving...interesting to ponder that one) and I don't have as much time to sit around with the tube on and a glass of wine in my hand.  And what about the pizza, you ask?  Haven't had a slice in 2 weeks.  For some reason, it seems like too much right now.  I know that I will start leaning towards better nutrition but I am being pretty gentle with myself around moving in that direction.  It is likely that my "exercise" part will start having some pretty serious conversations with my "butterball" parts pretty soon to help out in the cause.

Finally, I am a single dad living in Northern California with two great girls (9 and 13) and a year  old yellow lab named Tallulah.  I work for a living and struggle with making time for work, kids and training....but don't most of us.  Hope this wasn't too long and oversharing.  Thanks for letting me play....what day is weigh-in? 

2006-10-01 7:07 AM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Kathie ... I know the feeling. I go out of town and try really hard to drink my water and not eat TOO much ... and BOOM ... here come the pounds. Just going to take it one day at a time and change things up a bit. Gotta find a new groove! Stick with it ... it will pay off!
2006-10-01 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

Team,

I haven't been blogging much lately but have been paying attention to everyone's posts.  I'm encouraged by the progress some are making and can only hope to encourage those of you who are having a slow go of it like me, keep up the effort.  Over time it will all pay off.  Remember slow progress is better for you than fast weightloss.

My weight too has not moved much.  As of today, I am 221 total weightloss of 4 pounds since I joined the group.

I don't think that I am making good choices food-wise.  I'm thinking about tracking everything through FitDay.com  Does anyone else use that site?

BTW, should someone start a new thread?  This one is already up to 7 pages.

Edited by msampse11 2006-10-01 7:37 AM

2006-10-01 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
i'm using fitday.. well i was using it and now i'm using it again since it doesn't seem to work out for me when i'm not writing down all my food.. i seem to make better choices when i write everything down...
2006-10-01 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
But if you write everything down then you can't deny what you eat!
2006-10-01 10:40 AM

Portland, OR
Hi everyone!

Just checking in. I've been really bad about keeping up with everything lately, mostly because I'm STILL slightly under-the-weather. blah. it's been 2 weeks! Anyway, I got in a 15 min easy easy walk/run this morning (my head started to pound, had to stop) and at least I feel a bit better. Not being able to exercise drives me batty, but I know I need to give my body the rest it needs to recover properly. But geez, can't we hurry this up?

My my consistent activity the past week has been commuting to work by bicycle. It's not far, but it's something. I figure I ride between 20-30 miles/week just from commuting, so that's cool.

Reigning the eating in again starting today. I've been doing a lot of I'm-feeling-sorry-for-myself eating, which will only make me feel MORE sorry for myself when i gain, so I'm quitting it RIGHT NOW. Phew. Venting feels good. It also makes me feel accountable to others besides myself, which we all need.

Keep it up everyone! I'm going to start figuring out an "off-season" training plan and will report back.

2006-10-01 8:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey everyone - sounds like some of us have had a hard weekend, and others have had a good one For those that have been struggling, maybe take one full day off. Don't worry about your training or weight - maybe you need to just relax and refocus to really give it your all. Sometimes it works for me. And for those that had an awesome weekend - way to go! We're all super proud of you

My weekend was not too bad. Not a lot of homework, so that was a GREAT thing! Went to my friends birthday last night which was hilarious (ah, birthday shenanigans) and just chilled during the day with my sister. Today I finished up a project I was working on and am planning a long run tonight! I need to get out there and do something this weekend for sure now that my elbow is feeling better Its amazing how we take our health/able-bodied-ness for granted until something happens to remind us how great it really is.

Anyhow, hope everyone is well...talk to you soon!

Megz
2006-10-02 12:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
Everybody have a great week!  I'm going to try and write down everything that I eat and drink for the entire week just to get a glimpse of reality.

2006-10-02 7:30 AM

User image

Cincinnati, OH
Gaia- I have a similar appraoach to balancing food/exercise. I love vigerous exercise, and am finding more time for it. I don't restrict my diet in major ways. I find that I crave good food the harder I work out. It wants good fuel. Except at the end of day, when it wants a beer or wine to wind down (Split a bottle of '98 Opus One last night. Wife celebrating being able to, having just delivered daughter #2 3 weeks ago.mmmmmm)

5:45am spins class was great. 2 day workouts in 2 days.
2006-10-02 1:28 PM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Good Morning Everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend! I had a nice relaxing one and caught up on a ton of sleep. I am supposed to start Week 3 day 1 of the couch to 5K program but i think I am going to stay at Week 2 for this week. I don't think I'm ready to move up and I don't want to get hurt. Besides there's no rush! Eating sucked this weekend and I gained back 2 pounds that I had lost. But I'm not upset about it since I know what caused it and know what I need to do to correct it and lose this week! Life happens! Have a great day everyone!
2006-10-02 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Hi guys! I'm back after my wonderful, fun, exciting, loved-every-minute-of-it first triathlon yesterday! It was great! You guys are the best for cheering me on and making me believe that it was possible! Much love to you all!

Today I had my surgery and now I'm trying to focus on the future after I recover and can get back to training. Please help me not gain weight while I'm healing -- I don't want boredom to turn me back into a crappy eater looking for entertainment in a pizza!

Welcome James (gaiaserver)! Alot of us are newbies here so you are in the right spot! This group is just so much fun! I'm so glad you were paying attention in that race and were there to say that guy! Fate surely was looking out for him that day! It sounds like you have a good plan and are thinking long-term -- all the ingredients for success! Stick with our group -- we are committed to being here for each other for the long-term too! By the way, we MUST see pics of Tallulah! That's a great name!

Big ginormous kudos to Tanna and Sharon -- you guys sure rocked the bike riding!!!! I'm just so floored by those kinds of distances! We need to start seeing pictures of these events ladies, ya'll are so inspiring!

Kathie -- don't worry about speed on the run, that will come with time. I've been absolutely PROMISED that I'll get faster if I just start by building a good base! Right? Right all you experienced folks?

Jac -- great job on the 19-miler! And you are SO SWEET for cheering me on so thouroughly! You Brits say the coolest thing -- white lightening me, eh? Well, I felt it and I had a brilliant day and just really had a blast!

Rachel -- I hope you feel better soon, 20-30 miles a week commuting is certinaly nothing to sneeze at! OK, we are NOT going to give into the "I'm-feeling-sorry-for-myself" eating! No, we are NOT! We are going to stay away from that, I could so be there in a heartbeat, so I know exactly how you feel. So we will NOT do that! Ok? Ok! We'll be watching you!

Megz -- did you get your long run in? Did it feel good?

Kevin -- great job on the back-to-back workouts! You're in the groove now!

Natalie -- Great positive attitude, those two pounds will be gone again before you know it! It's a good idea to repeat a week any time you feel that way, that is definitely the way to avoid injury!

HUGS TO ALL!
2006-10-02 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

Natalie - what you're doing is what i'd do too... when ever i added a minute of running to the 5k plan i thought "oh my god i think i'm gonna stay on this for a week longer - i'll never be able to do it" - but you'd be surprised what your body can do if you ask nicely but if you really don't feel like moving up a week stay where you are - there is so much time and no reason to hurry... you'll get where you want to be sooner or later

i found a new weightwatchers group today.. the old one interferes with my swim training and besides that i wasn't too happy with the groupleader anyways cuz she didn't care about anything but her points and sports weren't much important to her...

so the new group is kinda cool... they're meeting in a old folks home (what's the correct word for that??)... the new group leader calculated my points again and without the extra ones for sports  i got 2 more than with the other gl. so now i'm supposed to eat 23 points a day.. i have no clue how to do that.. i'll be eating constantly lmao

but she said maybe that's why i'm not losing any weight lately... lots of workout and not enough food might make my body store every crumb it gets... so i'll try it for a week or two and see what happens... worst that can happen is that i gain another pound or two but that i can lose as fast as i gained it..

phew... i'm gonna go take a shower and then it's time for bed already... tomorrow i get to sleep in.. it's germany's "4th of july" - tag der deutschen einheit (something like day of germany's unity - they created that day after we were nice enough to take back east germany and pretend to accept it as a part of germany lol)...

so have a great day (and you have a good night jac )!!
Kathie

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/18 Rss Feed  

of 10