General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Questions (of a different type) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-09-21 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: Wetsuit Questions (of a different type)

I will spare everyone from the should I buy a sleeveless or full wetsuit question.  Instead I am seeking tips on its usage.  I have read nearly every article available but I am still looking for more information.  I am doing my first OWS in it Sunday and racing a week later.

What surprised you about swimming in a wetsuit?  What problems did you have?  Are any of them reoccurring?

Just looking for some testimonials from people who use them.

2006-09-21 7:35 PM
in reply to: #548562

Expert
Subject: RE: Wetsuit Questions (of a different type)
This is going to sound crazy, but as someone who had never donned a wetsuit prior to Triathlons, I was surprised how wet one gets inside of them. Seriously, I knew they don't call them "drysuits" for a reason, but I guess I didn't know what to expect. And the water is cold at first... no different than getting in the water without a wetsuit. It is only when you get moving and your body heat warms the water film up that you reap benefits.

I have a sleeved wetsuit, and it definately impacts my forward shoulder reach. It doesn't pose a major problem, just makes me more cognizant of getting a full pull in vs. swimming in a pool where it comes naturally.

I also was surprised at first how tight it felt. Again, not that I expected anything different, but when you first put it on and get in the water, it takes a little getting used to.

With that said, a wetsuit has become a staple for my OW swims, and I actually am a little nervous about the day when I do an OWS without one.
2006-09-21 7:38 PM

Veteran
Denver
I didn't have too many problems but some things did surprise me.

-it was much tighter than I thought. When I first put it on I thought I got the wrong size. Once I got in the water and got it wet, it was fine

-it will take some time for the shoulders to losen up. I would try to get 2-3 swims in before you race

-I was surprised how much it helps you float. My first 2 tri's I did with no wetsuit and I was a little freaked out. I paniced and had the obvious fear of drowning. With my wetsuit I feel confident that no matter what happens I could just float till I catch my breath and I'll be fine. That has really helped my confidence and eliminated my fear of the OWS
2006-09-21 8:53 PM
in reply to: #548584

Champion
South Jersey
I personally haven't had this problem, but I know a lot of people who have experienced a lot of rubbing around the neck - make sure you apply the body glide generously in that area.
2006-09-21 9:08 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Yup...like others have said.

Expect shoulder fatigue since your arms are now working against the resistance of the wetsuit on the recovery.

The thin layer of water between you and the wetsuit is warmed up by YOU.

They can feel very constricting. Are you clausterphobic(?)? Expect to work a little harder to get a full breathe in.

Soak the wetsuit a couple of times a day or two before you try to put it on. They do dry out like a sponge and shrink (and get brittle) when dry. They may drip for a day after you use them, so don't be too quick to put it away. It also helps to get wet before you put it on. (The tip on soaking came from one of the manufacturers, who has posted here before.)

I usually consider donning the wetsuit my pre-race warm-up...

2006-09-21 9:43 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
I have a full suit and am 6'8. i had to search high and low for info to find the right suit. i finally purchased a blue seventy helix. I have felt the cold h2o rush and how it does warm up. I have had the nasty neck hickey from the suit, but body glide does help. As for the arm restriction, I have had to pull up my suit a little further to get my arms in, but never really feel restricted with my swimming stroke. I guess it depends upon your suit and your feel in the suit.

I do thank McFuzz for the pointer regarding the wetting of the suit, I did not know that but it does make sense. Thanks

Good luck in your race!!

2006-09-21 11:03 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

When I was fitted for a wetsuit, I was told to pull it up "obscenely high" in the crotch. Supposedly, that's to give you the maximum amt of material in the chest and shoulder area. Once you get it up over your hips, then bend over forward and pull it up your chest.

It's a lot like pulling on tight pantyhose, actually.

Body Glide is great for those areas where it might chafe (around the neck). But I've found that cheap Suave-type conditioner is great for helping it go on easily and come off even easier.

As for the range of motion thing, I didn't really feel that at first. That might be because I was also instructed to pull the arms up very high into the armpits.

Then, when you're ready to be zipped up, find someone you trust, and have them give the back a couple of really good yanks before they zipper it up. And you might want to decide how you want the string to be handled. Some people like it over the top of the velcro part, some like it under, and some like it wrapped up a couple of times so it doesn't "swim around" in the water.

There is some truth to the tightness in the chest thing that might take a couple of yards to adjust to. And it might feel even tighter since this is your first OWS and there might already be some anxiety about that. Just go slow until you get used to it.

I have a devil of a time getting my wetsuit OFF after a swim. Specifically, off my calves. The conditioner pretty much solved that. But one thing to remember is that it's not like taking off a pair of pants. More like rolling off a condom. Don't let it bunch up or it will fold over on itself and then you'll land on your in the middle of T1, like me.

Does it make me a faster swimmer? I think so, but since I'm so slow, it's hard to tell. It certainly makes me more bouyant. And in salt water I'm like a fishing bob. I couldn't drown if I wanted to.

I hope you have a great race, no matter what you decide to do!

Edited to add: you might consider renting a wetsuit for your OWS and race.  Many places that sell them also rent them.  And they usually credit the rental fee toward a purchase.  That's how I got mine, and it worked great.  That way, I got to "test drive" a couple of different brands before I bought one.

Edited by madkat 2006-09-21 11:05 PM
2006-09-21 11:43 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
During my first long swims, I was surprised to find that I got hot. The water was cold, but my body heat made me way too warm. It's probably not enough to ever make me go without it, because I like the bouyancy advantages.
2006-09-22 2:11 AM

User image

Master
Denver
I'm surprised how much faster I am in my suit. I have a sleeved one that has been "shelved" and I have a new Quintana Roo John suit without arms that kicks *ss !

2006-09-22 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
I have a trick for getting on my wetsuit.  You take a recycled grocery bag and put your foot in it.  Then stick your foot in the wetsuit.  Pull out the grocery bag and do the other leg.  I also use it for the arms.  When I'm done swimming I put my wet wetsuit in the bag to take home to hang.  You won't believe how easy your wetsuit goes on.  I guarantee the next time you try this, you swear I'm a genious.  (okay, maybe thats going too far)
2006-09-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: #548791

User image

Master
piece o heaven
aluminum1 - 2006-09-22 8:06 AM

I have a trick for getting on my wetsuit.  You take a recycled grocery bag and put your foot in it.  Then stick your foot in the wetsuit.  Pull out the grocery bag and do the other leg.  I also use it for the arms.  When I'm done swimming I put my wet wetsuit in the bag to take home to hang.  You won't believe how easy your wetsuit goes on.  I guarantee the next time you try this, you swear I'm a genious.  (okay, maybe thats going too far)

I totally forgot to say that, but you are TOTALLY right! I heard that and have done it everytime. It really does make getting into your suit easier.

2006-09-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: #548791

User image

Master
Denver
aluminum1 - 2006-09-22 7:06 AM

I have a trick for getting on my wetsuit. You take a recycled grocery bag and put your foot in it. Then stick your foot in the wetsuit. Pull out the grocery bag and do the other leg. I also use it for the arms. When I'm done swimming I put my wet wetsuit in the bag to take home to hang. You won't believe how easy your wetsuit goes on. I guarantee the next time you try this, you swear I'm a genious. (okay, maybe thats going too far)

I just tried this grocery bag trick this morning and all I got was a big wet pile of brown yucky paper @!!^&!^!!

j/k
2006-09-22 10:24 AM
in reply to: #548635

Champion
South Jersey

McFuzz - 2006-09-21 10:08 PM Soak the wetsuit a couple of times a day or two before you try to put it on. They do dry out like a sponge and shrink (and get brittle) when dry.

This becomes more important the longer your wetsuit goes without being used.

2006-09-22 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
I will be up there too wearing my new wetsuit for the second time. I luuuuuv it. I am just not much of a swimmer and the bouyancy is grrrrreat. I should be a wetsuit salesman. You do not have to worry about drowning and you go a lot faster. I used to scuba dive a lot in them and I have never had chaffing problems. The only downside that I can see is taking it off after the swim and that is well worth the pros to me.
2006-09-22 10:32 AM

Pro
I find my swim wetsuit doesn't let a rush of water in like my scuba wetsuit does. Surprisingly comfortable. Also, I haven't experienced the shoulder fatigue others talk about. As for getting it on, the ProMotion fullsuit that I have has zippers at the ankles that allow you to put it on easily. To get it off, I put generous quantities of bodyglide around my ankles and the suit slipped off very easily.

I feel more like I'm piloting a boat than swimming when I swim in my wetsuit.
2006-09-22 11:24 AM
in reply to: #548983

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Z-dog - 2006-09-22 10:15 AM

aluminum1 - 2006-09-22 7:06 AM

I have a trick for getting on my wetsuit. You take a recycled grocery bag and put your foot in it. Then stick your foot in the wetsuit. Pull out the grocery bag and do the other leg. I also use it for the arms. When I'm done swimming I put my wet wetsuit in the bag to take home to hang. You won't believe how easy your wetsuit goes on. I guarantee the next time you try this, you swear I'm a genious. (okay, maybe thats going too far)

I just tried this grocery bag trick this morning and all I got was a big wet pile of brown yucky paper @!!^&!^!!

j/k

Did you use a plastic bag?

Also, practice getting out of the wertsuit. After a few "dry" runs you get the feel quickly. Like stated before, you roll it off. Start when you are first getting out of the water and peel/unroll to your waist, then when you get to stripping the rest off at your transition spot, SIT DOWN! I have seen too many people tumble over when trying to achieve this standing. In the end your suit should be inside out and you should be ready to go.

2006-09-22 12:04 PM

Veteran
I hate swimming in a wetsuit. I find that my legs become too buoyant to do the breaststroke (my rest stroke) and side stroke just doesn't do it for me. I feel much safer when I have the breastroke available to me when I get tired.
Just my 2 cents.
2006-09-22 12:12 PM

User image

Expert

The biggest surprise about a wetsuit was how much easier it was to swim. I tend to sink, but with the wetsuit my hips are much higher in the water which reduces the effort needed to swim. I feel like I glide between strokes rather than losing momentum between strokes. I don't know if this makes sense, but it almost feels like I'm swimming downhill. I'm still pretty slow, but I think I expend less energy swimming with the wetsuit.

Mine is sleeveless, so I can't comment on tightness in the shoulders, but, even though it is very snug in the chest, I don't feel like my breathing is constricted.

2006-09-22 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

I love my wetsuit and wouldn't think of doing an OWS of any distance without it.  Mine is a promotion full and I actually enjoy the full compression and the resistance on recovery.  In my case I think this is because my pull just isn't very good yet and my recovery works muscles that are very strong.

I was surprised at just how much "spring" I got out of the suit on my pull because it was returning to "neutral" for the suit.  I was also surprised at how buoyant I was.

I like being warm so for me the full suit has been great even on 90 degree days.  The only time I have felt it become something of an issue was on a 1 mile OWS  when it was sunny in a shallower lake where the water temp near the surface had to be close to 80 degrees.

Oh and because of the float and "spring" in the suit I am wayyyy faster in the suit then I am without it.  The longer the distance, the faster I am compared with no suit.

Unfortunately this means I feel like a slug when I get back in the pool 8(

2006-09-22 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
In my case i wear a sleeveless, but my main issue ??? whatever..it was and is the breathing. I wear mine alot, all my pool practices and OW swimming I have miles on my suit now and still find I must focus and keep my breathing controlled as the race goes on . It is tight ( not to tight) but if i get anaerobic it is very hard to catch my breath just can't haul a big lungfull.  Other than that removal costs some time but the suit has helped me shave minutes so a few extra seconds in T1 is no biggie. Bodyglide, conditioner(new one) or pam spray cooking oil, on the calves/heal helps in removal. Never had to sit down .... concerned would cost a lot of time ..... practice pull down stand on with one foot pull off other maybe use a hand to release off heal if needed, that way you can put on helmet, number glasses etc while removing suit with legs/feet. best advise get some time in the water in the suit prior to race day a few swims will help ease the unknown on race day.
2006-09-22 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I was amazed at how much faster I felt in the water. That buoyance keeping my hips up and in the proper position is awesome. I only wear my wetsuits for long swims at this point (if you ever saw me try and get out of it you would understand. Its not pretty and burns a ton of time), but my average 100 time drops about 10 seconds. I love it! One of these days I'll figure out T1, then watch out!

2006-09-22 1:45 PM

The first (and only) time I wore a wetsuit was horrible (unlike most of the experiences posted here).

I couldn't get used to the tightness of it (shoulders, chest). I felt constricted and claustrophobic. So, I haven't worn one in my past 2 OWS sessions and won't in my next tri tomorrow. Fortunately the water is warm enough (69) and I don't think any gains I get from boyancy will offset the breathing issues and the time/effort it takes to pry it off my body.
2006-09-23 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Only good experience here, I have a Promotion sleeveles, fits well and is very comfortable. Being a poor swimmer it makes a huge difference for me, only snag is can't wear it above 78 degrees which is most of my races! Oh well.
2006-09-23 11:21 AM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

My wetsuit makes my legs float, and I'm actually not used to them being that high.  I have a funky lower-back problem that makes any exercises where my legs are behind me a bad idea, so it's actually a bit of a strain for my back to swim in the wetsuit.  Maybe it's just me.

2006-09-23 11:33 AM

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
Other than feeling like He-Man (boy I'm old) everytime I put my wetsuit on, I will never do another OWS without it. I'm a slow swimmer in the pool, but with my wetzoot on I have significantly decreased my splits in the water and made on my last tri I made up 3:30 minutes from last year (no suit) on only a 1/2 swim. I love it.
Corey
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Questions (of a different type) Rss Feed  

of 2