Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-09-27 8:38 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

I'm sure that everyone has seen this because it's been all over various formus but just in case...

11-Speed Bonded Hollowtech II Road Cranksets

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Shimano-Recalls-Cranksets-for-Bicycles-Due-to-Crash-Hazard

If you have an 11-speed bike with a Shimano crankset, your first step will be to check the number stamped on it stamped on your crankset.  Not every single parts 11-speed is affected.  The recalled models have printed ‘Ultegra’ or Dura Ace’ logos on the arm.  Check the two letters at the end of the stamp and see if it matches the recall notice.  If it does, get thee to your local bike shop.

Yup, I'm affected. I contacted my mechanic for an inspection.

shimano crank arm

Is that your gravel bike? I need to check mine.

No the gravel bike has a GRX crankset and it sounds like an issue with the  Ultregra and Dure-Ace product lines. This is the road bike that I purchased in March 2020.  Supposedly newer road cranksets are not affected.

680,000 crank sets in the US are affected with 4,519 known/reported "incidents."

Ah, ok I think my road bike and tri bike are probably way too old to be affected, but will check to be sure.

Maybe? They are saying the date range is January 2012 through August 2023 and it could be that you had work done and parts replaced.  I'd still check it.

I'm not overly concerned but I don't want to ignore it either. I mean, it does not seem to be a high percentage of failure but it could be really bad if it happened to you.

2023-09-27 10:51 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I'm sure that everyone has seen this because it's been all over various formus but just in case...

11-Speed Bonded Hollowtech II Road Cranksets

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Shimano-Recalls-Cranksets-for-Bicycles-Due-to-Crash-Hazard

If you have an 11-speed bike with a Shimano crankset, your first step will be to check the number stamped on it stamped on your crankset.  Not every single parts 11-speed is affected.  The recalled models have printed ‘Ultegra’ or Dura Ace’ logos on the arm.  Check the two letters at the end of the stamp and see if it matches the recall notice.  If it does, get thee to your local bike shop.

Yup, I'm affected. I contacted my mechanic for an inspection.

shimano crank arm

Is that your gravel bike? I need to check mine.

No the gravel bike has a GRX crankset and it sounds like an issue with the  Ultregra and Dure-Ace product lines. This is the road bike that I purchased in March 2020.  Supposedly newer road cranksets are not affected.

680,000 crank sets in the US are affected with 4,519 known/reported "incidents."

Ah, ok I think my road bike and tri bike are probably way too old to be affected, but will check to be sure.

Maybe? They are saying the date range is January 2012 through August 2023 and it could be that you had work done and parts replaced.  I'd still check it.

I'm not overly concerned but I don't want to ignore it either. I mean, it does not seem to be a high percentage of failure but it could be really bad if it happened to you.

I have two that are likely included - both were taken off our tri bikes shortly after purchasing in 2014 and 2015. Guess I have to dig them out - thanks for the heads up!
2023-09-29 6:50 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Friday, Manatees!!!

Is anyone racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2023-09-29 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

One of these Fridays I will be able to answer something other than "nothing special"!

2023-09-29 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

One of these Fridays I will be able to answer something other than "nothing special"!

Haha! My big plans involve picking Kevin up from the airport so I'm right there with you.

2023-10-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Proof of life post....I moved again....  

Where in Wyoming are you? I lived in Laramie for for a few years back in the late 1990's. It's grown a lot since then. Not only do you get elevation gain on runs there, but you're already at a pretty significant altitude to start with.

I lived in Laramie between 1997-2005. I like the Rockies and am happy to be back this time I am in Casper, Wy.  I think altitude is over rated.  It is much easier to run in the mountains at 8,100' asl than it is to run in heat and humidity at sea level.  :-)

2023-10-03 11:16 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Proof of life post....I moved again. 

im happy you’re happy with your running!  I have no idea how far glacier NP is from where you are n Wyoming, but I know Vacation Races puts on a half marathon there each year. I was supposed to run it in June 2020, but 2020 was canceled!

As far as elevation on runs - I had a big 20 feet on my 5 miler this morning.

I scaled back on the hill work a bit. There is beautiful paved trail along the North Platte River that is pretty flat that I have been doing most of my running on.  I still get a lot of hills even when I do that path because there is 80ft of gain to get to the path from my house. 

The Glacier Park Half Marathon is about  9 hours from us.  That is a little closer that then National Multisport Festival.  Both are in neighboring states, but the state are really big in this part of the county.  

2023-10-03 12:09 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Inquiring minds want to know, are you getting a gravel bike???

No...not yet.  I did stop into MOUNTAIN SPORTS while I was waiting for my daughter to get picked up from school and they had a bunch of gravel bikes and fat tire bikes that were fun to look at.  

2023-10-03 1:00 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Manatees - was geting a note about one of the fitness apps I use coming up for renewal and the cost is going up and it makes me think about how sneaky all of these subscription costs are ... what do you have and think is worth paying for? 

Earlier this year I unsubscribed from paid Strava because while I liked a few of the visualizations it wasn't really worth the $.  I need to cancel Zwift because i haven't been on for ages and am unlikely for the next month or so. 

Plus, DH is currently the buyer for the exercise category (for Canadian Tire, a big Canadian retailer) and we have free memberships for iFit and JRNY -and he's constantly being asked to try out different ones. It feels like it all adds up and trying to be judicious about the ones that we actually will use. 

I use the following:

1) Strava - **Free Version** - I was upgraded to the paid version for month.  I didn't get any benefit out of the premium graphs & analytics.  The only feature that I miss was being able to slide the curser to get the best power for 5-second, 2-minute, 5 minute, 12 minute section of FTP tests.  Without the slide with best power for each duration of the bike workout I have to zoom in and get my best estimate for each of those values to plug into the Critical Power formulas to see what the new FTP is. 

2) TrainingPeaks- **Free Version** - got two months of the pair version with my USAT renewal a few years ago.  I really like that version because I could plan all my workouts a week in advance, add all my workouts that I had structured to my workout library, etc.  The calculations for Form, Readiness, TSS, etc were nice.  This did show me if I was moving in the right direction with training every week, but I really only use TSS to plan my training and the calculation for the other metrics are easy to run if I want to see them. So I have just stuck with staging all my workouts for the week on Sunday (I have like 15 sessions on that day) and then moving each day's workouts to the correct day the night before. 

3) TrainerRoads- $15.75/mo (Billed Annually) - I was required to sign up for this to get my workouts when I was coached.  I stick with it because I use virtual power and so my dumb trainer is pretty useless with out a bike app.  Over the past 7 years I have gone through the full Base/Build/Specialty Phases for 70.3, Olympic, and Sprint plans as well as use the Train Now, adaptive training (not a fan of this) and created a full 12 weeks FTP plan in the customer workouts with the TR software.  I am not using the platform very much right now. Especially since the speed/cadence sensors that I had died last month.  This is one that I will keep or replace by another bike app because indoor training is something I use a lot to make training safer at 5:30 AM in the morning (used to ride outside with a headlight) and it coaches me at a price I couldn't get a coach for.

4) Rouvy -  I did the 2-week **free** trial during covid.  I signed up so I could do one of the 56-mile IM course with my ambassador team which we paired with a video conference.  After the virtual team ride I used it to complete the bike legs of the USAT standard distance and sprint distance Virtual Duathlons during covid.  I loved the simulation on real work courses and being about to do virtual races.  TrainerRoads is better for every day training with its structured training plans, but this is great for getting a preview of a race course and for virtual races.

5) Garmin Connect - **Free**  The local Tri Club from Oklahoma does monthly challenges on here.  I don't really use it for much but to upload my data and sync it with TrainingPeaks, Beginner Triathlete, and Strava.  I have made some race course there and played with their place plan tool but that is about it.  

6) TriDot - I have done the Free PreSeason Program three times.  The First Time I did an 8 week Triathlon preseason program. That went well.  The second time I did the program they had changed things and I just got their standard AI training for 8 months with no real "pre-season" focus that I could see.  I went into the 2nd season after 6 weeks off and the AI was giving me workouts that I didn't have the base fitness to complete and I got injured twice in the first two weeks so I aborted the program went back to base training for the rest of my "pre-season".  The third time through they had totally made over the app to give you a score for every workout based on you HR data and the prescribed HR training.  That was something that I was really getting into.  I learned how to manipulate the workouts to get higher scores (even if it meant doing the workout less correct per the instructions, etc).  I became a game for me but I was getting fit at the same time.  I used the training the third time through to train for a half marathon and a Marathon.  I don't feel that it a very good IA app for long distance running events.  If you are going to do a non-competitive running event in the Triathlon off season it is okay, but I feel that the triathlon training is all you should really be doing with the TriDot app.   The prices for the full TriDot app were $15 a month for the a limited plan that only had you training for one short distance race (Sprint or Oly).  For $25 you could do one long distance race (70.3 or 140.6), then the jump was pretty steep after that.  The free trial was for the $150/month plan that had video instruction for workouts done by Mark Allen, and then there was an options for a personal coach which I thing was something like $200-$250 a month.  At $15/month I might try it for a short distance race plan.  The other options were to much $ for me.  I can write my own workouts for free and get results that are good. 

2023-10-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Inquiring minds want to know, are you getting a gravel bike???

No...not yet.  I did stop into MOUNTAIN SPORTS while I was waiting for my daughter to get picked up from school and they had a bunch of gravel bikes and fat tire bikes that were fun to look at.  

You do realize that's how it starts, right?

2023-10-03 6:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

I raced this past weekend. I did the Wrightsville Beach Triathlon. It’s a local race (only 4 miles to the swim start from my house) and brings out soooooo many people. There were over 1100 racers! I decided to sign up last minute (FOMO). I also decided to race “advanced” rather than AG. There were only 5 advanced women and I came in 4th. The ladies in advanced are really strong swimmers (like they came out of the water 4 minutes ahead of me) so no chance to catch them! I did PR by 2 and half mintues from last year so I was a happy camper!

Next up…IMNC 70.3 (as a relay). I got asked to fill in as ‘the biker’. Should be fun!

2023-10-04 6:44 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001

I raced this past weekend. I did the Wrightsville Beach Triathlon. It’s a local race (only 4 miles to the swim start from my house) and brings out soooooo many people. There were over 1100 racers! I decided to sign up last minute (FOMO). I also decided to race “advanced” rather than AG. There were only 5 advanced women and I came in 4th. The ladies in advanced are really strong swimmers (like they came out of the water 4 minutes ahead of me) so no chance to catch them! I did PR by 2 and half mintues from last year so I was a happy camper! Next up…IMNC 70.3 (as a relay). I got asked to fill in as ‘the biker’. Should be fun!

The Wrightsville Beach Triathlon is a very fun event!  I'm not surprised that it sucked you in!  I'm sure that you'll enjoy the IM NC relay as well.  Is Kiawah still on the calendar as well this fall?

2023-10-04 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I raced this past weekend. I did the Wrightsville Beach Triathlon. It’s a local race (only 4 miles to the swim start from my house) and brings out soooooo many people. There were over 1100 racers! I decided to sign up last minute (FOMO). I also decided to race “advanced” rather than AG. There were only 5 advanced women and I came in 4th. The ladies in advanced are really strong swimmers (like they came out of the water 4 minutes ahead of me) so no chance to catch them! I did PR by 2 and half mintues from last year so I was a happy camper! Next up…IMNC 70.3 (as a relay). I got asked to fill in as ‘the biker’. Should be fun!

Congrats on racing in the advanced division and on the PR! 

2023-10-04 9:02 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Wow, that's super cool that you were able to race advanced and came in 4th!  And a PR to boot: WOW!!

2023-10-04 1:38 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Interrupting your regularly scheduled programming with a link to an important post about the future of this website.
2023-10-04 1:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alicefoeller Interrupting your regularly scheduled programming with a link to an important post about the future of this website.

Well, this is unfortunate news. I suppose we might want to discuss the future of the Manatees as well. We've been together for more than 10 years.  How would we like to handle this?  I don't think that the 15 of us will make or break BT.  I suppose we could Google Group + Strava if all else fails.

ETA: Bronze is $50/yr. 

Edited by jmkizer 2023-10-04 1:46 PM

2023-10-04 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alicefoeller Interrupting your regularly scheduled programming with a link to an important post about the future of this website.

Well, this is unfortunate news. I suppose we might want to discuss the future of the Manatees as well. We've been together for more than 10 years.  How would we like to handle this?  I don't think that the 15 of us will make or break BT.  I suppose we could Google Group + Strava if all else fails.

The only thing that surprises me about this announcement is that it isn't just saying the site is being shut down! I'm not sure what to think as it seems there is a possibility that if we pay for a membership that may still not be enough to keep the site running.  My use of BT has morphed into this group and the log. I'd hate to lose either.

2023-10-04 2:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The only thing that surprises me about this announcement is that it isn't just saying the site is being shut down! I'm not sure what to think as it seems there is a possibility that if we pay for a membership that may still not be enough to keep the site running.  My use of BT has morphed into this group and the log. I'd hate to lose either.

Yeah, her post was not very clear.  Like you, I'd really hate to lose this group or the training log/race reports.  That would be very sad.

Again, I don't think the $750/yr that the site would get if all 15 of us subscribed would make or break it.  It does sound like we may want a Plan B -- where it's something like a Google Group or Geneva, well...

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by jmkizer 2023-10-04 2:30 PM
2023-10-04 7:22 PM

User image

Expert

Yeah, her post was not very clear.  Like you, I'd really hate to lose this group or the training log/race reports.  That would be very sad.

Again, I don't think the $750/yr that the site would get if all 15 of us subscribed would make or break it.  It does sound like we may want a Plan B -- where it's something like a Google Group or Geneva, well...

Edited to correct typo.

Well, that is a concerning development. Like the rest of you, the site is holding decades worth of logs, which is the means I use to keeps myself focused. Plus, the group also helps to keep me on task. I would hate to lose either.

On the stuff is about to change subject, I heard that Wahoo is considering discontinuing The Sufferfest platform, which is also concerning for me. If they drop that, I am going to shop for another training tools. I was part of the Zwift Beta test. The problem I had with the Beta test is it turned into a timetrial for me. For those of you who use it, how to you like it now that it has been up and running for a few years. Does anyone use a different platform and what do you think about it?

Oh and BTW, I am still alive! Michelle and I went to Italy for 15 days to celebrate our 30th anniversary. For those of you that I'm friends with on Facebook, my Social Media rep (Michelle) did a great job of documenting the trip and tagging me.
2023-10-05 6:23 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Edited to correct typo.

Well, that is a concerning development. Like the rest of you, the site is holding decades worth of logs, which is the means I use to keeps myself focused. Plus, the group also helps to keep me on task. I would hate to lose either. On the stuff is about to change subject, I heard that Wahoo is considering discontinuing The Sufferfest platform, which is also concerning for me. If they drop that, I am going to shop for another training tools. I was part of the Zwift Beta test. The problem I had with the Beta test is it turned into a timetrial for me. For those of you who use it, how to you like it now that it has been up and running for a few years. Does anyone use a different platform and what do you think about it? Oh and BTW, I am still alive! Michelle and I went to Italy for 15 days to celebrate our 30th anniversary. For those of you that I'm friends with on Facebook, my Social Media rep (Michelle) did a great job of documenting the trip and tagging me.

I think that you are OK on The Sufferfest front for now at least.  They discontinued RGT but kept The Sufferfest.

Lately, Ive been using Zwift and TrainerRoad. TR is just a screen with numbers, I run that on my iPad and use Zwift for the entertainment portion.  You could use Netflix or something instead but I can't focus on a workout and a TV program at the same time. I end up no knowing what is going on with the TV program. 

I also do quite a bit of "robo pacer" rides.  You pick the pacer bot that does the watts/kg that you want to ride and keep up. There is usually a decent sized group with the bot so it's relatively entertaining.

I had some Zwift groups that I rode with a lot over the winter -- so much so that we follow each other on Strava -- but that may be more of a winter thing for me.  For now, I kind of like riding on my schedule (as opposed to when the group is riding).

Regarding BT, I don't think there is a direct replacement. I am hopeful that we can keep the group together in some way. I mean, assuming that people are receptive/interested.

2023-10-06 4:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

The Wrightsville Beach Triathlon is a very fun event!  I'm not surprised that it sucked you in!  I'm sure that you'll enjoy the IM NC relay as well.  Is Kiawah still on the calendar as well this fall?

Kiawah is on the calendar...just doing the half. The rest of my gang are doing the FULL!

2023-10-06 10:28 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Edited to correct typo.

I only come here now for you guys. So I'm all in favor of another platform. Just let me know where we land and I'll show up!
2023-10-06 10:47 AM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Edited to correct typo.

I only come here now for you guys. So I'm all in favor of another platform. Just let me know where we land and I'll show up!

Pretty much the same for me. I occasionally look at the Triathlon Talk forum, but there have been less than 10 threads started there since the beginning of June. So not much going on. I've actually been surprised the site held on this long. I'd be happy to upgrade a membership, but I think as Janyne said, a few of us are not going to save things. I don't really enjoy Slowtwitch. Way too many threads feels like information overload, most of which doesn't really seem relevant to me. I'll follow y'all wherever.
2023-10-06 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Kiawah is on the calendar...just doing the half. The rest of my gang are doing the FULL!

I think that you'll have a blast doing that half.  The bonus is that you be recovered enough to cheer for the people running the full.They will be SO JEALOUS of you on race day!

2023-10-06 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Edited to correct typo.

Thanks!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33