General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help out a HRM/LT n00b... some questions... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-07 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Help out a HRM/LT n00b... some questions...
OK, I've had my HRM for about a week now and have worn it on a couple runs just for kicks. Earlier in the week I started reading up on zone training and in particular the LT 30 min TT test. It just so happens that my run this past Tuesday *might* qualify. It was 40 mins total and I pushed myself hard the entire way (I got a lot of "whoa, where did that come from?" comments from my training partners). Anyhoo, here's a graph of my HRM data:

I know the recommended conditions for the LT test is a flat course, but that's just not possible around here. The reason it's flat for the first 12' and then steps the last 28' is because the course we run is about 1.5 miles to a 1 mile loop (which has a hill... thus the steps in the HRM data).

Anyhoo, my average HR for the run was 162, but if I take the data from the last 20' of the run, my avg HR is 170... so, going to the training bible that puts my zones at:

Z1: 112-144
Z2: 145-155

That seems a bit high, no? Where did I go wrong? What do I need to do to get an accurate LT test?

Thanks!

2006-10-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: #563395

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Help out a HRM/LT n00b... some questions...
The first thing you want to do when doing an LT test is to be ready for it - it's not something that you want to do on a whim as you should try to at least do the test after an easy day of training - if not during a recovery week. Also, like you've probably read, the 30'TT is the most common method, but ideally it would be an entire hour - which few people are willing to commit to except in a race. Make sure you take sufficient time to warm up before starting the test if you are only going to run hard for 30' as you want to be completely ready to go when you pick up the pace.

Looking at the trend in your data for the last 20', it would seem that your avg HR was increasing the whole time so you probably have a decent starting point for HR zone training.

Don't worry about what the numbers are - some people have an LT that is higher than others - it doesn't mean anything about how fit they are.

I would say you can give it a whirl and if your z1 and z2 feel too hard, you can adjust from there. If you haven't already, look at some RPE charts and how they relate to HR so you can see how things line up.

Shane
2006-10-07 11:12 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
If you were rested and hydrated before the test and you pushed hard throughout the entire 40 min I think you can use the results.  After all a TT test is a guesstimate to design your training zones and test those in training sessions and eventually learn how HR, PE and pace correlate with each other.

I would take the avg of the last 30 min of the test and THEN multiply that by .97-.98 and use that number to get your training zones >>> i.e. if the AHR for 30 min was 170 then multiply by .98 and you get 167 – plug that number in Friel’s TTB table and determine your zones. Once you do that train and test it for a couple of weeks and seek a relation between your zone 1,2,3, etc and PE & pace. If HR zone 2 seems somehow easy but PE and pace is a bit higher than usual then you might need to adjust the zone. (Same if the opposite happens)

2006-10-07 3:49 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Both the above replies are right on the money. My opinion is that you need to do the test by the book - and if you can find a track, most high schools have them - you have your flat course. Knowing your HR/pace will be helpful later on. I am going to run a 15k next weekend - my first one, so I'll be able to see how fun that 1 hour TT is.
2006-10-07 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Thanks for the replies. Looking at my training log, I'd say I was fairly well rested before the run. My previous workouts had been pretty easy and I had taken off the day before... though it certainly wasn't coming off a recovery week. If/when I do it again (at an ideal course) I'm not sure how much different it'd feel because I'm not sure I could push my harder than I did (for that long anyway). I'll give it a shot though. In the meantime I think I'll try running in z1/z2 using the adjusted 167 LT that Jorge recommended and see how that feels - I have my long run scheduled for tomorrow.

I need to find a track anyway to calibrate the HRM footpod so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. I'm just worried about running on a track for 30+ mins... A few years ago I lived right across from a high school and would run at the track once in a while just for kicks, but I found it tough to maintain my pace just because I'd get bored and my mind would wander (and thus my pace would drop). Of course, pushing myself for a LT test might be enough to keep me focused. Anyways, I'm just rambling now.

Thanks again, everyone.
2006-10-07 5:10 PM
in reply to: #563529

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Carl Carlson - 2006-10-07 2:56 PM Thanks for the replies. Looking at my training log, I'd say I was fairly well rested before the run. My previous workouts had been pretty easy and I had taken off the day before... though it certainly wasn't coming off a recovery week. If/when I do it again (at an ideal course) I'm not sure how much different it'd feel because I'm not sure I could push my harder than I did (for that long anyway). I'll give it a shot though. In the meantime I think I'll try running in z1/z2 using the adjusted 167 LT that Jorge recommended and see how that feels - I have my long run scheduled for tomorrow. I need to find a track anyway to calibrate the HRM footpod so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. I'm just worried about running on a track for 30+ mins... A few years ago I lived right across from a high school and would run at the track once in a while just for kicks, but I found it tough to maintain my pace just because I'd get bored and my mind would wander (and thus my pace would drop). Of course, pushing myself for a LT test might be enough to keep me focused. Anyways, I'm just rambling now. Thanks again, everyone.

Carl -
Since you are from NJ, I'll assume you are tough - and therefore just get on the track and run hard - as hard as you can for 30' - you can handle it - and your mind won't wander just focus on not goiing out too hard and keep your pace even or get faster as you go along. Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help out a HRM/LT n00b... some questions... Rss Feed