The Red Rock Company
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 26m 25s
Overall Rank = 19/1700
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/151
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:00am Sunday morning after a fitfull night of sleep. This race was a big deal for me, both as a gauge of my long course training progress and my expectations for Ironman Arizona in April as well as being my first Half Ironman. I walked outside into the night to check the weather and the skies had a heavy overcast which bode well for the race conditions. Overcast here in the dessert means warmer mornings but cooler mornings. Conditions would prove to be absolutely ideal.

Tempe Town Lake is about 30min from my home and I arrived in T1 to set up by 5:15. I had a few friends competing as well as my coach. We met up at my coaches tent to suffer through "THAT HOUR". You know the one, the hour after you've fussed with your transition set up and now have nothing ot do but wait. And wait. Always seems to give your bowels sufficient opportunity to mess with you and make you an expert at getting in and out of your tri-suit in the porta-pottie which you now share with nearly 1700 of your new best friends.

Swim
  • 30m 42s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

The Swim-The first two waves sent the Men and Women in the Quarterman off first. 13 min. later, they sent Men 30-35 for the Half followed 3 min later by my wave. The water was about 68 degrees, so very comfy in the wet suit. The single best thing I can say about the swim was that it was completey uneventful and devoid of drama. A long rectangular course with atheletes well spread across it. The swim exit was a large bleacher like structure with volunteers on the "step" pulling you up. They helped steady shaky legs and guided me up to the sidewalk. I ran towards the strippers and spotted the owner of my local tri store, a big burley guy named Kevin. He had my westuit off me so fast I felt like I should file a police report!

Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

When I checked my watch following my near rape by Kevin, I saw I was a little ahead of schedule. There is nothing better than getting out of the water with some extra time in the bank. Transition wasn't very crowded as most of the Quarter racers were gone.

Bike
  • 2h 23m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 23.41 mile/hr
Comments:

The Bike- OK, hears where I was really entering unkown territory. In my previous Olympic races, the bike simply was go as fast as you can. Period. Not a lot of nutritional startegy, some hydration, no heart rate monitor, just go like hell. Now I had to race smart, mind my pacxe, monitor my effort, down some GU's, ect. My coach gave my VERY specific instruction for me NOT to exceed a heart rate of 155 bpm on the bike and this turned out to be the single largest contributing factor to my positive day. Based on months of training, he knew that it would represent my maximum sustainable effort for the race without sacrificing speed and enough to get me home without blowing up and he nailed it.
It was a 3 lap course around the Tempe Lake area. The first lap I found myseflf riding in a pack of 5 others....ALL in my age group! It was every thing I could do to not try and break away but my coaches advice echoed in my head..."let them go, you will see them again on the run". I chilled out as we all took turns leading the group for the first lap. I felt very comfortable and was, for the first time in a race, actually having fun on the bike, chatting occasionaly with the guy's around me and having fun with the volunteers at the aid stations. Theer were a lot of very tight turn arounds and a few riders went flying into the oncoming lanes, but the traffic on the course for me wasn't too bad.
Eventually the other age groupers dropped off the pace and I was left with this guy Matt who had been riding behind me to the left for most of the first 2 loops. When we rode side by side I turned to him and asked, "Please tell me you are not a good runner!" He smilled and said he was a cyclist and was going to need to try and drop me ASAP. I told him I understood. His catalyst came blowing by us early in the 3rd lap when a 42 year old blew by us like we were standing still. I looked over at Matt and said, "You're going to chase him down, aern't you?" He smiled and took off in pursuit and I stayed with my plan as I watched them put some real estate between me and them. It will turn out that Matt waited just a little too long .

Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

As I pulled into T1 I was greated by some crazy woman yelling at me. Not with words of encouragement, not telling me I'm doing great, oh no. This lady was screaming, "FASTER, GET GOING, STOP GOOFING AROUND!" I love my wife . Between berating me, she was able to communicate that there were at least 2 guys in my AG ahead of me, one of which was my new friend Matt. I told her I could catch him, wich proved to be insufficient for her as she responded, "CATCH ALL OF THEM!!!".

Run
  • 1h 29m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The Run- 2 Laps aroound Tempe Town Lake. My coaches words rang true yet again as I ran down Matt by mile 3. I pulled along side and I said, "Oh, sure, some guy comes by on a flashy bike and you dump me without so much as a by your leave!" He laughed and said he sould have tried that earlier 'cause here I was and he didn't have anything left to respond. We wished each other well, and I moved ahead for good. I knew at this point that I would place in my AG, just didn't know if it was 2nd or 3rd. Now I only had one more mission to complete: finish ahead of my coach on the course even though I started 3min ahead of his wave. We saw each other on the bike and he barley acknowledged me, he just looked very focused and determined in contrast to me being very chatty. At one down and out turn around towards the end of Lap 1, we passed eachother and by my reckoning, I still had about 2 of those 3 min. I spent 100% of Lap 2 waiting to hear his feet behind me. The course had become crowded at this point with other athletes on their first lap. My legs were beginning to feel tight and a bit stiff though my respiration felt comfortable. My HR was elevated to about 156-158, but with only 5 miles to go, it was just gut check time. Afetr the second down and out, I saw that coach wasn't close enough to catch up. Too bad, would have made an awesome finishing picture. At this point, I realized that I was going to go sub 4:30. My expectation going into the race was 4:35-4:45. The last 2 miles were the longest I have ever run, wanting to get close to the line and the crowd to give me that last lift towards the finish. Now my wife was cheering for me rather than yelling at me! I was alone in the chute and had a chance to hear the anbnouncer read my name and number. BEEP!

Post race
Warm down:

Ate some pizza at the finish line!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had the perfect day, couldn't have gone faster.

Last updated: 2006-11-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:42 | 2112 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/151
Overall: 0/1700
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca P-Flex
Course: Large rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:23:32 | 56 miles | 23.41 mile/hr
Average HR 152
Wind: Some
Course: Multiple down and backs heading both north and south, east and west.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:29:23 | 13.1 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
156-158 hr
Course: 2 loops around Tempe Town Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-01 8:41 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Soma Triathlon

2006-11-01 8:57 AM
in reply to: #585083

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Soma Triathlon
Good job and nice time too!  I think you're going to rock IMAZ.  I'll see you in April...at least at the beginning.
2006-11-01 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
WOW! You are amazing! What an awesome time you posted! You are going to totally rock IMAZ, I wish you the best of luck, even though you obviously don't need it! Great RR too!
2006-11-01 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Holy crap, dude.  That was your FIRST half ironman?  Wow.  I can't wait to see how IMAZ goes...you're FAST!
2006-11-01 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Thanks everyone . Yes, this was my first Half and this is my first yaer of triathlon. I posted an introduction of myself with my background story in the Into Thread. I've done 3 Olympic races, finishing top 10 and winning my age group twice and now this. This week is the first week I really believe I can go 10 or just sub-10 hours at IMAZ and qualify for Kona. I have been training for 5 months and have 5 more to go, so I'm feeling pretty optomistic.
2006-11-01 12:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Awesome race.  You're ready for IMAZ...  Keep on training and have fun.

2006-11-02 6:43 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Thanks again . You all need to let me know if you ever do any group training sessions, I would love to join in. I swim out at lake Saguaro a lot or maybe a rid eout to Tortilla Flats

-Edit- Opps, I meant to put this in the AZ thread, soory

Edited by bryancd 2006-11-02 6:44 AM
2006-11-04 5:01 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Got some pics!

(Finish.jpg)

(Bike Close up.jpg)

(Out of Swim.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Finish.jpg (37KB - 70 downloads)
Bike Close up.jpg (27KB - 81 downloads)
Out of Swim.jpg (34KB - 79 downloads)
2006-11-07 8:03 PM

User image

Mesa
Hey, great finish time! You are a speedy one.

If you want some group training sessions, goto http://www.aztriclub.comand register for the mailing list. We have I think 8 or 9 members doing IMAZ and will have training rides, runs, and swims going on.
2006-11-08 3:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Wow, you are SMOKIN' fast! Especially that run... *sigh* I wish I could run like that. SOMA's a great course... it was my first... HIM that is! Anyhoo, way to go and congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Triathlon Rss Feed