Other Resources My Cup of Joe » No smoking in condo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-11-16 4:15 PM
in reply to: #601019

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Subject: RE: No smoking in condo

Wow, that is a tough one.  It's much easier if it's a smoke free environment from day one, tenant one, but that not being the case, even a vehement anti smoker such as myself can see where a person's rights might feel trampled on.  The thing about a condo, or townhouse, or attached home, or whatever high falutin name you want to call it - is that some genius person somewhere along the line figured out that they could get people to buy, instead of rent, apartments.  And as in any apartment living situation, you pretty much have to go into it with the knowlege that you will probably forego, at some point, the ability to control your own living environment more so than a person living in an actual house because of your incredibly close proximity.  When a person lives 10 inches from you, and they decide they are going to do what they want to do, because they bought their apartment, just like you bought yours, they'll talk too loud, play their music too loud, have SEX too loud, cook stinky food, have a barking dog, or a crying baby, or smoke....it will happen.  So who's right and who's wrong?   That's a tough one.   Personally, I want as much space between me and my neighbors as I can afford, and twenty acres is just BARELY enough.

What is UP with all this anti smoking stuff all of a sudden, anyway?  It seems like it has just exploded!

2006-11-16 4:39 PM
in reply to: #601551

User image

molto veloce mama
i brought this one up w/ my dad...who is a retired pulmonary doc and very active in the smoke-free air movement here in minnesota (one of the reasons i have such an interest, and also access to a lot of info about the issue). anyway, he said this is a tough one. its private property, but also part of a community that could have a shared air ventilation system. in hotels, which have shifted to being mostly smoke-free, smoking rooms are usually kept to one floor, because the shared ventilation creates a problem. he said many apartment buildings are having the same problem.

oh, and france is now (mostly) smoke free. FRANCE!!!!!

France to Go Smokefree
Restaurants, bars, and nightclubs given until January 2008

France, 11/16/06-- It's official. Today, France published details of its new smokefree workplace decree. Beginning February 1, 2007, workplaces other than restaurants, bars and nightclubs, must be smokefree. Beginning January 1, 2008, restaurants, bars, and nightclubs have to be smokefree. The law also requires the outdoor areas of educational institutions other than universities to be smokefree.

"Congratulations to the French government for recognizing that workers deserve protection from cancer-causing substances in the workplace," says Joe Cherner, president of SmokeFree Educational Services, Inc. "We only wish that restaurant, bar, and nightclub workers were covered sooner."

France joins Ireland, Italy, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Wales, Norway, Sweden, Finland, New Zealand, Bermuda, Uganda, Malta, Uruguay, Hong Kong, and Bhutan in enacting comprehensive smokefree workplace legislation, including smokefree restaurants and bars.
(from smokefree.net)
2006-11-16 11:37 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

Ok - I reread and will edit

As a former condo HOA Nazi (just call me Mrs.kravitz of the 'Hood) I think that it is fair not to rule that they cannot smoke, but that it is their responsibility to contain and filter the smoke in some way so that it does not affect others.  Just as if you have a pet, you are responsible to for making sure it is not a nuisance to others.   This puts the engineering of the smoke containment on the smokers.   A non-smoking community is great - but how do they get that way?   Either newly built or through alot of arguement.   I would never buy a condo that said no pets, but what if the tide turned against pets?   Good think I set myself up as Queen (a voted in queen) and was generally liked.

We had pretty few rules.  There were a number of either very young owners or renters just out of college who did things like leave their recycling on the fire escape or after they clean the cat's litter box, put the bag outside their door in the hallway until they are headed down to the dumpster.  Most were pretty easy to bring into the fold - they just never really thought about it like hey - people can't pass my beer bottles if there is a fire, or hey - the neighbor can smell this when they come home and pass to go to their house..... 

I had a stick up my butt about 2 things that were contentious:

1.people leaving in window air conditioners all winter. for 2 reasons - a.   ugly in our 1910 building, and b.  they were the same people who complained about being cold, not realizing that their a/c's were like an open window..... and we all had heat from the same source

2.  People cutting into common plumbing for non-sanctioned clothes washers and dish washers and then complaining that the plumbing system (from 1910) was not up to their needs.

Edited by bootygirl 2006-11-16 11:49 PM
2006-11-17 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Ug. I hate living in an apartment for this reason (well, there are other reasons, but this one still pisses me off). My neighbors smoke outside on their deck, which just happens to be right near my dryer vent. Every time I open the dryer to get my clothes out, they smell like cigarette smoke! I have to sit around and wait for the dryer to go off so I can get them ASAP if I want to avoid the smell.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » No smoking in condo Rss Feed  

of 2