General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone have the new ipod shuffle (clip version) ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-12-13 10:08 PM
in reply to: #606954

User image

Central Minnesota
Subject: RE: anyone have the new ipod shuffle (clip version) ?
Does anyone know if they have an "Otterbox" for the new clip-style shuffle?

2006-12-13 11:16 PM
in reply to: #623678

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
nuorder - 2006-12-13 8:06 PM
I don't think you are using itunes the right way. I've always been able to control what goes in and out of my shuffle, manually.....I'm thinking that you have it wrong.

That's what I thought, too. Then I read something on the Apple forums for the Shuffle that this is the way it works for the Shuffle (and only the Shuffle). I know (and don't we all?) that forums aren't the perfect source for information...but it does confirm my suspicions that Apple is full of a-holes that are just out to get me!
2006-12-14 8:46 AM
in reply to: #623709

Pro
yep,

Deputy - 2006-12-14 12:16 AM
nuorder - 2006-12-13 8:06 PM I don't think you are using itunes the right way. I've always been able to control what goes in and out of my shuffle, manually.....I'm thinking that you have it wrong.
That's what I thought, too. Then I read something on the Apple forums for the Shuffle that this is the way it works for the Shuffle (and only the Shuffle). I know (and don't we all?) that forums aren't the perfect source for information...but it does confirm my suspicions that Apple is full of a-holes that are just out to get me!

you are definately using Itunes the wrong way.  In the perferences section of Itunes you have the option to auto sync or not. With this option unchecked you connect the shuffle and you manually click and drag songs.  Usually (I disabled this the first time I connected to Itunes) it works with all Ipods.  Give this a try.  90% sure it will solve your problem. 

2006-12-14 3:36 PM
in reply to: #623877

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Dlaxman31 - 2006-12-14 8:46 AM

Deputy - 2006-12-14 12:16 AM
nuorder - 2006-12-13 8:06 PM I don't think you are using itunes the right way. I've always been able to control what goes in and out of my shuffle, manually.....I'm thinking that you have it wrong.

you are definately using Itunes the wrong way.  In the perferences section of Itunes you have the option to auto sync or not. With this option unchecked you connect the shuffle and you manually click and drag songs.  Usually (I disabled this the first time I connected to Itunes) it works with all Ipods.  Give this a try.  90% sure it will solve your problem. 

Absolutely correct! Auto-sync is the key! Otherwise, your itunes is dumping songs in and out without your knowledge and you probably have more songs in your itunes than can fit in your shuffle. I always just click and drag the songs that I want on my shuffle onto the shuffle icon.

2006-12-15 11:06 AM
in reply to: #624428

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
nuorder - 2006-12-14 1:36 PM

Dlaxman31 - 2006-12-14 8:46 AM
you are definately using Itunes the wrong way. In the perferences section of Itunes you have the option to auto sync or not. With this option unchecked you connect the shuffle and you manually click and drag songs. Usually (I disabled this the first time I connected to Itunes) it works with all Ipods. Give this a try. 90% sure it will solve your problem.

Absolutely correct! Auto-sync is the key! Otherwise, your itunes is dumping songs in and out without your knowledge and you probably have more songs in your itunes than can fit in your shuffle. I always just click and drag the songs that I want on my shuffle onto the shuffle icon.

Dlax, you know that 10% you left open. Guess what? The new Shuffle is in the 10%. At least the way I'm using it is.

"Only update checked songs" was the FIRST thing I unchecked (there is no "auto-sync" option).

See, the thing is...I have ONE song in my iTunes library because I don't (and don't want to) use iTunes to manage my music. Even with auto-sync off, that's the only song that's left on my Shuffle if I open iTunes.

Edited by Deputy 2006-12-15 11:11 AM
2006-12-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: #624972

Pro
yep,
Deputy - 2006-12-15 12:06 PM
nuorder - 2006-12-14 1:36 PM
Dlaxman31 - 2006-12-14 8:46 AM you are definately using Itunes the wrong way. In the perferences section of Itunes you have the option to auto sync or not. With this option unchecked you connect the shuffle and you manually click and drag songs. Usually (I disabled this the first time I connected to Itunes) it works with all Ipods. Give this a try. 90% sure it will solve your problem.

Dlax, you know that 10% you left open. Guess what? The new Shuffle is in the 10%. At least the way I'm using it is. "Only update checked songs" was the FIRST thing I unchecked (there is no "auto-sync" option). See, the thing is...I have ONE song in my iTunes library because I don't (and don't want to) use iTunes to manage my music. Even with auto-sync off, that's the only song that's left on my Shuffle if I open iTunes.
\

okay fine... just trying to help.  But considering the fact you dont want to use Itunes to organize your music then why are you even makign this post? 

2006-12-15 12:42 PM
in reply to: #625011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Dlaxman31 - 2006-12-15 9:36 AM

okay fine... just trying to help. But considering the fact you dont want to use Itunes to organize your music then why are you even makign this post?

I appreciate the efforts to help...if anyone knows how to fix it, I'm VERY open to hearing it.

The reason is because you still need to use iTunes to manage the Shuffle, ie enabling disk use, updating firmware, and what not.
2006-12-15 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

While I love my Shuffle (when it works), caveat emptor ... I am on my THIRD one in 18 months.  These things are less than reliable. Yeah it is ~$79.00 -- but who wants to keep spending the same $79.00 over and over again.

Most store only have a 14 or 30 day guarantee - so then you are stuck with Apple support, which is virtually non-existant.

Unfortunately, I have only a warning and not a solution as only Ipods work with Itunes.

2006-12-15 3:18 PM
in reply to: #625167

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
brian - 2006-12-15 1:41 PM

While I love my Shuffle (when it works), caveat emptor ... I am on my THIRD one in 18 months.  These things are less than reliable. Yeah it is ~$79.00 -- but who wants to keep spending the same $79.00 over and over again.

Most store only have a 14 or 30 day guarantee - so then you are stuck with Apple support, which is virtually non-existant.

Unfortunately, I have only a warning and not a solution as only Ipods work with Itunes.

I always hate it when people get on these boards a trash a company for no good reason. Apple is great with customer service! I have purchased my macbook through them, because their cust. service was exemplary. As for the 14-30 day guarantee; that is BS. You can buy a 3 year extended warrantee for very little money. Yes, they cost a little bit of money, but the piece of mind and convenience is worth the cost.

When I bought the extended warranty through apple for my iPod 20 gb model, I had it break down on me several times. (all due to my wear and tear and probable over-use) and they always sent me a new one. They even sent me a self-addressed box to mail the iPod in when I sent it back to Apple. Usually, it only took a week, or less.

I'm just telling you that all my experiences with apple have been positive.

I agree, spending $79 over and over again is not my cup of tea either, but next time you have to buy a new one, purchase the warranty program...it is worth it.
2006-12-15 4:56 PM
in reply to: #625284

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
nuorder - 2006-12-15 1:18 PM

I agree, spending $79 over and over again is not my cup of tea either, but next time you have to buy a new one, purchase the warranty program...it is worth it.

Better yet, in Canada, I bought mine at Future Shop (Best Buy/Circuit City type place) and I can get a 2 year replacement warranty (anything goes wrong, they give you a new one) for like $12.

Not bad.
2006-12-15 6:45 PM

I have the old shuffle and I love it.
My only problem is i tunes I just despise i tunes.

When I bought my i pod I learned about 3 days later their was a new one for about only 10 more dollars that was smaller and held more songs but hey thats life.

2006-12-15 6:55 PM
in reply to: #625284

User image

Veteran
East Lansing, MI
nuorder - 2006-12-15 4:18 PM

While I love my Shuffle (when it works), caveat emptor ... I am on my THIRD one in 18 months. These things are less than reliable. Yeah it is ~$79.00 -- but who wants to keep spending the same $79.00 over and over again.

I always hate it when people get on these boards a trash a company for no good reason. Apple is great with customer service! I have purchased my macbook through them, because their cust. service was exemplary. As for the 14-30 day guarantee; that is BS. You can buy a 3 year extended warrantee for very little money. Yes, they cost a little bit of money, but the piece of mind and convenience is worth the cost. When I bought the extended warranty through apple for my iPod 20 gb model, I had it break down on me several times. (all due to my wear and tear and probable over-use) and they always sent me a new one. They even sent me a self-addressed box to mail the iPod in when I sent it back to Apple. Usually, it only took a week, or less. I'm just telling you that all my experiences with apple have been positive. I agree, spending $79 over and over again is not my cup of tea either, but next time you have to buy a new one, purchase the warranty program...it is worth it.

Yea. This is a little off topic, but true..I bought a used 20gig off a random person at school, then a few months later it quit working. I brought it to an apple store, and they said the warranty had expired a week ago, but gave me a BRAND NEW IPOD anyways!! Maybe it's just the apple support where you are, but at least with regular ipods, they have good support. 

2006-12-15 8:47 PM
in reply to: #625495

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
kristenc - 2006-12-15 6:55 PM

nuorder - 2006-12-15 4:18 PM

While I love my Shuffle (when it works), caveat emptor ... I am on my THIRD one in 18 months. These things are less than reliable. Yeah it is ~$79.00 -- but who wants to keep spending the same $79.00 over and over again.

I always hate it when people get on these boards a trash a company for no good reason. Apple is great with customer service! I have purchased my macbook through them, because their cust. service was exemplary. As for the 14-30 day guarantee; that is BS. You can buy a 3 year extended warrantee for very little money. Yes, they cost a little bit of money, but the piece of mind and convenience is worth the cost. When I bought the extended warranty through apple for my iPod 20 gb model, I had it break down on me several times. (all due to my wear and tear and probable over-use) and they always sent me a new one. They even sent me a self-addressed box to mail the iPod in when I sent it back to Apple. Usually, it only took a week, or less. I'm just telling you that all my experiences with apple have been positive. I agree, spending $79 over and over again is not my cup of tea either, but next time you have to buy a new one, purchase the warranty program...it is worth it.

Yea. This is a little off topic, but true..I bought a used 20gig off a random person at school, then a few months later it quit working. I brought it to an apple store, and they said the warranty had expired a week ago, but gave me a BRAND NEW IPOD anyways!! Maybe it's just the apple support where you are, but at least with regular ipods, they have good support. 

No doubt...take your stories and mulitply it by a million...that is how many people are happy with customer service with Apple...that is why they are so highly rated in Consumer Reports.

Those "Apple Geniuses" at the apple store are some super, wicked-cool people. I want to be one when I grow up.

2006-12-27 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I just got one for Christmas and tried it out for the first time on the treadmill tuesday night. The darn thing is so small and light, I could definately lose it, but I love it. I have an older Ipod mini and just replaced the battery in it, but wanted the shuffle for the small size and light weight. I used to think you HAVE to have a screen on a music player, then I tried navigating songs on my mini while running on the treadmill and just about fell off. So, the small size and weight won out over the screen. I just clip it and set it to shuffle and run. It's great. For $79 you can't beat it!
2006-12-27 10:58 PM
in reply to: #634829

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
I'm loving mine...although, I haven't been using it much lately with me being under the weather the past week, ugh!

I kinda think of my shuffle as my own little 225-song playlist and "best of" that I can just throw on anytime...no fumbling with my arm strap, don't have to worry about queing my playlist,...I just hit play and go; very easy; to say the least. I still love my huge 20 gb model for long roadtrips and other things like studying and listening to podcasts....

2006-12-28 6:38 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Got one for Christmas and really like it so far.  The thing is amazingly small and light - clipped it onto my running shorts and couldn't even feel it.  Like another poster mentioned, it's so small I'm a bit worried about losing it. 

I thought the itunes auto-synch feature actually worked pretty well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone have the new ipod shuffle (clip version) ? Rss Feed  

of 2