Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-01-25 6:57 AM
in reply to: #625415

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: mndiver's Group - FULL
Thank you all for the great input. THat's what i love about BT.. I feel much less ignorant when I have a whole community of people who can give me advice and information. I am determined to choose a bike by the end of the month. I'll let y'all know what happens.

2007-01-26 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Good morning or afternoon depending on where you maybe,
I have a swim training question for the group. In my swim workout today which is listed below, I am noticing that while my sets were pretty even time wise, I just could not push them to get any faster. There was a noticeable effort difference between the easy and hard lengths, but I had a hard time getting the build lengths to feel much different than the easy ones unless I really pushed it in which case it felt like the hard ones, so I feel I have the overall endurance to keep the sub 2' 100's up for a long distance, but do not have the power to get the speed up over said distance, as in the build laps. Any comments, suggestions, etc?
WU:
400 continuous, last 50 of every 100 kick only
MS:
8x100 EBEH (25 easy, 25 build, 25 easy, 25 hard) w 1' minute recovery which got me to maybe 70% recovery
1 - 1:49
2 - 1:50
3 - 1:51
4 - 1:51
5 - 1:52
6 - 1:51
7 - 1:52
8 - 1:53
CD:
6x25 with each being slower than the last, these averaged 30" each
Thanks,
Devin
2007-01-26 12:21 PM
in reply to: #668838

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Devin, I have to wonder if your "easy" lengths were truly easy enough. What was your breathing pattern on these easy laps. If I'm hearing you correctly, you basically have 2 speeds. Easy, and hard (fast).  If you notice,  your cool down laps were not really that much slower than the pace you were doing for the 100s (a :30 length is a 2:00 100 and you were about 1:51 avg on your 100s).

Have you ever tried the drill called "Catch ups?" Basically, you don't start your next stroke until both hands are in the glide position. It's to help elongate your stroke but it also forces you to slow down a good bit as you are emphasizing the glide portion of the stroke. You might want to try that. I would think you would want your easy laps to be "recovery" laps. A water resistant HR monitor may also be beneficial here.

When I swim an easy lap, there is no need for recovery. I'm not breathing hard at all when I get done with an easy lap.  I have no idea how fast my easy laps are, but I'll think to time them next Tuesday when I swim again. My 100 time that I can maintain for a race distance is somewhere between 1:50 and 2:00.

2007-01-26 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
I have done and do catch ups, but only in my drill sessions. One problem I have I have is that when I swim easy, I seem to feel like I am swimming sloppy, so I try and concentrate on form which can cause me to go faster. I did take a peek at the lap clock during my 4th set at the end of each 25 and these are what I gleamed:
E - 35"
B - 32"
E - 35"
H - 28"
based on this there is a slight difference between each length, but maybe I do need to make sure I am going more like 45" for the easy 25's. On the recovery part, the last 25 is the hard one, so I go pretty much all out, which I am pretty tired. Thanks for the tip and I will try the catch ups during my easys next week.
Devin
2007-01-26 12:40 PM
in reply to: #669076

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Interesting. When I work on form, I am slow as hell because I am concentrating on gliding through the water and it's hard to glide when you are going all out.

I understand the need for recovery after the fast 25. I am curious- if your easy is :35, your build is :32, and your fast is :28, that's a pretty good cross section. Time yourself doing just 25m sprints. Then try to duplicate that time as your fast 25 in that set of 100. Based upon a build of :32, a good spread would be

E :38, B :32: E :38, F :28

That would mean you are cutting 25% off of your time between your easy and your fast.

2007-01-29 9:00 AM

User image

Elite
I hope everyone had a wonderfull weekend. It's getting very cold and miserable up here in Minnesota. I think I picked a bad time to start running outside. Lets have evryone who wants to share tell us about a work-out based accomplishment they were happy about this past week or a goal they have for this following week.

I ran my first ever stand alone 5k. I have done several others that were oart of a tri, but never one alone. Even though it was freezing out, about 0 to -5 with the windchill, I really enjoyed doing it. Over 1300 people also ran the half marathon so I ran into fellow BTers and had a great time. I am making outside running in the winter a new habit.

2007-01-29 9:07 AM
in reply to: #671095

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I had a PR on the treadmill last Monday. 3 miles in 30:10. My goal for the coming week (and this is agressive) is to do the half mary in 2:30.

It was 60 degrees here on Saturday. Times like this I LUV the south!

2007-01-29 10:18 AM

User image

San Clemente
I was able to get tested for my HR zones. Now I can train more efficiently.

Also started swim class this morning at 5:30. That's a HUGE accomplishment for me.
2007-01-29 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Hello all,
I had a great week last week with my workout and found a new plan and I have migrated the first 10m weeks of my new HIM plan which includes the following:
6 weeks base
4 weeks build 1 phase
The idea behind this plan is made up of 7 key workouts and use the periodization model.
High intensity (HI) swim, bike, and run - Mainly intervals
Endurance swim, bike, and run - Mainly long sessions at a steady pace
One brick - Alternating between HIM pace and endurance pace.
There are also 2 more workouts not considered key which are a swim and run.
A big problem I am having is that I am having problems coming up with longer swim sessions for non key workout. I have come up with sessions that get to about 2000 yards, but then I get stuck, as I do not want to add more intervals, so I am leaning toward more mid range endurance sets such as 2, 3, and 4x 100-300yds.

Any ideas would be great, so please send them my way. I have first workouts tomorrow which are a HI swim and bike. Thanks for letting me babble on.
2007-01-29 5:48 PM

User image

Elite
So what HIM are you training for?
2007-01-29 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
I am signed up for Liberty in early June, am considering Chisago lakes and maybe Square lake.

2007-01-29 6:01 PM

User image

Elite
All right way to go.  I was originally going to do Liberty but injury completely derailed training for an early HIM.  I was at Chisago Lakes last year and did the sprint.  Very nice venue.  I am planning on doing Pigman HIM in Iowa this year.  I just need them to open up registration so I can get myself commited to it.
2007-01-30 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
I'm changing things up and hopefully moving forward. I have tried a few interval type things when I swim.... actually paying attention to the clock and aiming for specific times and distances. I think it will be a lot of work to sustain that effort over greater distances. I plan to look for some specific swim trainign plans that I can work on in my limited time.

Bike - I finally bought one! It is a used, very old, 12 speed Huffy but I think with the proper maintence and fitting, should get me through this season. I have to make an appointment at the LBS to get fit, etc.

I went to my first spinning class this morning and it kicked my butt. I had a lot of problems with the out-of-the-saddle work. It was partly balancing above my core, rather than leaning forward, but when I got enough resistance up it was too difficult to pedal. I will probably return next week.

RUnning.... We are finally having cold temps here. I will still run, but I don't feel very fast. Still working on increasing time and distance.

My weight is up, which surprises me since I have been pretty good about exercise (not as good with the food, but nothing like over the holidays). It's only a few pounds; I'm not too worrid about it-- I am telling myself it is muscle mass, since I have been doing more weight and core work this month.

2007-02-02 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont

Schedule is complete. Here it is:

2/4/2007 - City of Lakes Loppet 35K freestyle/skate ski race

3/18/2007 - Human Race 8K

4/28/2007 - Get In Gear 10K

6/3/2007 - Buffalo Olympic Triathlon

6/9/2007 - Liberty 1/2 Ironman

7/7/2007 - Timberman Olympic - Registration opens 2/24

7/29/2007 - Chisago Lakes HIM - Waiting on this one until April/May

8/19/2007 - St. Paul Triathlon Olympic - Same as above

9/9/2007 - Square lake HIM - Same as above

Devin

2007-02-02 2:33 PM

User image

Elite
Looks like Devin and Suzanne both have big work-outs planned for the weekend.  Best of luck to both of you!
2007-02-04 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Wow! What a weekend. Race Report and blog are updated. Best race of my life. I am so excited- I feel like a real runner now that I'm not quite so turtle slow. I mean, I know it's all relative, but I feel so triumphant after this race. I had no idea I had it in me. I essentially ran at LT pace for the entire half mary. I'm sore today, but elated. Zone training works!!!!

2007-02-05 12:12 AM

User image

San Clemente
Congrats to Suzanne. Great time!

I rode outside for only the 4th time in my life. 19 miles along the coast. The route has some hills and wind from the ocean. I'll get on the trainer a few more times this week and try to do 30 miles next weekend.

I'm also going to try to incorporate HR Zone training into my runs this week.

And this will be my second full week of the master's swim class. Last week was pretty tough. I actually wanted to puke on Friday, but didn't want to be the first one in history to do that!
2007-02-05 6:07 AM

User image

Elite

I highly doubt you would be the first person to puke after swimming.  It's probably a badge of honor for some people.  Good luck with your next Masters class and good job.

Once again Suzanne, way to go.  After reading your race report I was very inspired.  I think those are the kind of runs that turn people into lifelong runners.

Edited by mndiver 2007-02-05 6:08 AM
2007-02-06 6:12 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
OK I confused about something and I hope you guys can shead some light on this. Now that I have been working out for a couple of months. I feel much better about my self when it comes to running. At least now I can make it about 2 miles before stopping. Remember I started right off the couch in Early December. I am always looking for more information about training and getting the most out of each workout. It is very cold this time of year and workout times outdoors is scarce. MY goal at this satge is to continue to lose weight and establish a good running base. I hope by the time its starts to get warmer (March/April) out I can run 3-5 miles.

The more I read about zones and heart rate monitors the more puzzled I become. Every magazine and book has adifferent way of calculating Zone. At this point and time I am not ready to do a Lactate Threshold test or anything like that. I am open to doing it more in the spring time but not right now. I am using the simple claculation methods. I have read that a good Heart rate/base training stage keeps the HR low ( Zone 1) to burn fat and establish an base. THe only problem I have is the minute I start to run my HR goes right to Zone Three. I recover quicker now but ZOne 1 is bascially walking for me. SO If I am reading this right.... IT IS ACTUALLY MORE BENIFICIAL FOR ME TO JUST WALK 3-4 MILES RATHER THAN RUN 2? To me thats just feels like I am doing nothing except wasting valuable time. Time I could be spending pushing myself and sucking wind to go further, which is what I have been doing and seeing some differences.

I guess I have the old football mentality that if it doesn't hurt your not doing anything. Am I hurting myself by doing this? I have been free from injury and don't really worry about that. I am just trying to figure out what is the best course of action to take. The event that I have signed up for is a Dualathlon: 2 run 10 bike 2 run and a sprint Tri. 400m 10mile and 3 mile. I am not looking to finish 1st, but my pride will not allow mw to finish last either.

What do you think is the best plan for accompishing my goals?

Thanks

Hinch
2007-02-06 6:45 PM

User image

Elite

First of all I'm not going to give you any reccomendations,  I think others in our group are much more educated on running to help you out.  But I will say I was in the exact same position last year that you are this year.  Everytime I would run my heart rate would be through the roof.  I remember when I had first started being able to run longer, but was still pretty new, my heart rate would hold steady around 180 or so for the entire 30-40 minutes I would run.  I think the training zones are a great way to go, you just may not be ready for them for a few more months.  I still train too hard and I know I need tp stop.  But like you I have that hard core attitude.  Today is the first day I was able to complete a 35 minute run without my h.r. going over 160.  I just want to let you know I know where you are coming from.  Hopefully some of our runners like Suzanne and co tri guy can give you some insite.

2007-02-07 1:04 AM

User image

San Clemente
Hinch, I empathize with you. I trained tonight using my HRM. I figured I would run for 40 minutes - 20 in Zone 1 and 20 in Zone 2. Well, I did 40 minutes, but I had to WALK to keep my heart rate from going above. When walking got boring I made a turn to go uphill and had to WALK SLOWER! Very frustrating as I've been running 7:30 miles. Any advice from others would be greatly appreciated.

2007-02-07 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I was in this position last winter. What worked for me? Running for a certain number of minutes, and then walking for a certain number until my HR came back down. I was slow as molasses, but I did build a base. As time went by, I could spend more time running and less time walking. I probably had 6-7 months of running under my belt before I could do a run and stay in zone 2. Zone 1 workouts are recovery workouts for the most part. Good base building happens mostly in zone 2.

Oh, another thing that helped me was running slow enough that I could chant or talk- it forced me to keep my breathing regulated (think army/marine type chants) and keeping my breathing regulated helped me to go longer because I wouldn't get so winded. Going slow enough that I could get the words out meant I was going slow enough to be in zone 2. Can't talk/sing whatever at a higher HR, you are breathing too hard.

You will find that over time (and by this I mean 2-3 months at least) you are able to go faster at that same HR level. Last June a 15 minute mile (5 min running, 1 minute walking) was in zone 2. Today I can do 10:45-11 min mile in zone 2 on a flat course. It does work, it just takes time.

BTW, you won't hurt yourself by doing a couple of runs at a higher HR. Both of my mid week runs are in zone 3. Just be sure that you do a long run once a week and keep it in zone 2. This is the run where you most certainly should encorporate walking to help you get more distance. This is the run that will do more towards building your endurance level.

Good luck!

2007-02-07 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Longmont

Fair warning that this is going to be log winded!

If you are not ready for the LT test, I would say use the method although it is very inaccurate of 220 minus your age in years. Now to set your zones use the following percentages of your MHR. I have attached an excel spreadheet that will help determine basic zones once you input some basic data.

• Zone 1 60% of MHR (recovery/fat burning)
  • Zone 2 70% of MHR (Develop oxygen transportation systems)
  • Zone 3 80% of MHR (Improve lactic acid threshold)
  • Zone 4 85% of MHR (Lactic thresehold)
  • Zone 5 90% of MHR (sprints and anaerobic training)

For reference my cycling HR zones for are:

Recovery <125
Endurance 125-156
Overdistance 157-170
T/LT 171-180
V02 181-186

For running they are:

Recovery <141
Endurance 141-150
Overdistance 151-157
T/LT 158-164
V02 165-168

I know it is VERY hard to train in your zones for first couple of weeks and maybe even months due to you feeling like I should be able to run faster/harder, etc. Please realize that these zones will help your body get stronger faster and with less injury if give them the chance.

For example, I can physically run 9 MM for 2-3 miles if I want to, but this puts me well into Z3 which is not where I want to be for endurance training which is Z2 and an average speed of 10-10:30 MM. If I trained at this level (Z3 and above) on all my runs, I would get faster, but would not be able to hold he speed for any distance due to no endurance training. The opposite is also true for speed work, you need to stress your heart for short intervals into Z3/Z4 to get faster and develop better recovery.

Each zone has a specific purpose and I detail this out in my workouts, so I know what I am doing and why. An example is today's run was an high intensity run, which was designed to get my HR into Z3/Z4 and promote recovery and speed by using hill repeats or intervals. I also have endurance ride, swims, and runs where the purpose is to stay in Z2 for the duration of the workout. Feel free to take a look at my logs to see how I use purpose in each workout.

let me know if you have any questions,

Devin

Edited by co_tri_guy 2007-02-07 9:09 AM

Attachments
----------------
hrmzones.xls (15KB - 50 downloads)
2007-02-07 12:32 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Thank you to all of you I really appreciate the Help.
2007-02-10 12:01 PM

User image

San Clemente
What does the square icon with the arrow mean that is next to our goup title?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mndiver's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8