BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mndiver's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2006-12-15 5:17 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: mndiver's Group - FULL
User Name is mndiver and my real name is Bryan.

MY STORY: I was a competitive athlete in high school playing 3 sports and played football in college. Became a Health and Physical Education teacher and have done that for the past 12 years. I started to gain weight pretty quickly after I figured out it was pretty much impossible to get 10 to 22 people together at any given time to play the sports I was use to. My wife got into running about 5 years ago and I was very hesitant to start. I would bike and do some other aerobic stuff but always got really bored. Finally figured out I was a goal orientated type of person. Got into triathlon because I figured the running was short enough for me to handle.

FAMILY: My wife Kelly is also into triathlon and likes to run. I have a 10 year old daughter who would really like to do tri's also and will probably do some kids tri's this summer. I also have a 5 year old who I love very much but is trying to push me over the edge almost every day.

TRAINING and GOALS: Last year was my first year of tri's and I completed 5 sprint triathlons. I always thought that would be my limit. But I am attempting to prove myself wrong. I am working on increasing my running and now am running 15-18 miles per week, with a long run of 70 minutes. My goal for the years is to complete 2 half marathons at the start of the year. If that is a success I will compete in The Pigman HIM in the latter part of the year. Will also do 3-4 other sprint and Olympic tri's

WEIGHT: This is my biggest limiter. When I hit 300 pounds 4 years or so I decided I had to change. I have slowly brought myseld down to between 245 and 255 depending on the day. My goal is to get down to 230 for the start of the race year and end up about 215 by the end. I feel I can go as long as I need to cardiovascular wise. My problem is my weight beats up on my body.

Edited by mndiver 2006-12-20 4:22 PM

2006-12-18 11:13 AM
in reply to: #625415

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: mndiver's Group - OPEN

Can I join? I am opening the year with a half mary and want to do the SC HIM on 9/29 to end the season, with sprints and maybe an oly thrown inbetween.

I am 34, married almost 12 years (in March) and my husband and I are currently waiting for the referral of our first child. We are adopting a baby girl from China and hope to be over there picking her up this time next year!

Last year I was 197 lbs and miserable. I signed up with TNT and started running. I completed the RNR marathon in June in a whopping 6.5 hours. I loved running, but it was too much wear and tear on my body, so I started tri training to vary it up a bit. I am a pretty good swimmer, having lifeguarded, taught swimming lessons, and even did some competing in my younger days. I have never done an OWS, and that kind of concerns me. I need to practice that, but with no wetsuit, I'll have to wait...Biking is new to me as of this past summer. Running- I am getting better and faster.

I am now about 144-146 and will be starting my husband's "boot camp" on January 2nd. He is going to take my tri training and add weight lifting into it to help me gain some muscle and strengthen my core to help with all my tri sports. I also want to drop that last 20 lbs and have a smoking hot bod! We plan to follow the abs diet, as it seems like a very healthy approach. I was doing weight watchers but realize I was not getting enough calories for all the training I was doing and I was not getting enough protein. Hopefully this will change!

I would love the encouragement of a team and would love to cheer on others in the same boat!

2006-12-18 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
Sounds great Suzanne. Very glad to have you aboard. We have a lot of the same goals so we should be able to encourage each other A LOT. Look forward to talking and getting more people to add to our group.
Bryan
2006-12-18 2:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by spokes 2006-12-18 2:43 PM
2006-12-18 4:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Hello, I would like to join your group. I think its a great way to become more involved with the BT community and learn a great deal. I have been more of a lurker than a joiner, but I figure any extra commitment and motivation will be helpful

My real name is Dave. I am 37 years old, married 8 years, 3 kids (5, 3, 1). I am a high school social studies teacher located in Cincinnati.

MY STORY: I have never really been involved with sports though I have always been fairly active. However, I was not very kind to myself in college or the years immediately after. My nutrition plan was pretty much beer, take-out food, and cigarettes. I was 25 years old, hovering around 190 (I'm 5'10"), looked and felt terrible.

A couple things set me back on track, somewhat. My wife (girlfriend at the time) is super healthy and I learned to cook and eat much better. I quit smoking and cut way back on beer and pretty much eliminated fast food. I became involved with my old summer camp as a counselor, eventually backpacking coordinator and co-director. I love backpacking and hiking.

By the time I got married I had become much healthier... wavering between 165-170, but still not doing anything like working out. I have had several false starts of running, weights, etc, but never really committed, until last year. I began swimming 2X a week about a year ago. For variety, I added weekly run. TMy weight dropped to 155 and I feel like "oh, so this is my body." On my 37th birthday, I was running (and feeling great) and the idea of a triathlon popped into my head. I found BT that week.

I added two stationary bike sessions a week, but I don't have a bike so I am not actually riding yet. I hope to get a cheap bike after christmas and get on the road soon

MY GOALS: sprints, mostly in 07. Maybe an OLY in late summer. Longer distances may come with time , but I am only setting my sights on 07 right now. I have ran a few 5Ks this year, and discovered that I can actually run that short distance fairly fast. I am slowly increasing distances and aim to do a 15K this spring.

OBSTACLES - training time. With 3 kids under 6 and a stay-at-home wife, my time after work is family time. I am working out at 5:30 AM 4 times a week and have one weekend run on SUnday AM. To add distances or more workouts will be a challenge. I also don't have a bike yet. The biking world intimidates me. I have never been more than recreational on a bike and don't know much about gearing, maintenance, etc of bikes. I look forward to learning.

I hope to do my first sprint in April or May.

Look forward to this adventure and being a part of the group.

Dave
2006-12-18 5:14 PM

Elite
Scott and Dave,
Thanks a lot for joining. I think the thing I like the most about this is we all get a chance to read up more about fellow BTers. I think from reading all three of your backgrounds that it sounds like we all have pretty alike goals we are shooting for (who would have guessed that in America it would be hard to find a group of 3 out of 4 people trying to shed a few pounds. How about this for starters: Lets all post our goals for working out for the time starting today through lets say Christmas day as far as what we plan on doing for training. After looking at Scott's logs I'm a little nervous about how pathetic mine will look, but lets go for it anyway. I gotta go take my daughter to basketball but will check in later. Once again, welcome all. I really look forward to getting to know you all better.

Edited by mndiver 2006-12-18 5:37 PM

2006-12-18 6:54 PM

Elite
O.K. so here goes.
Today was a litle (VERY) frustrating. I was suppose to do an easy slow paced 40 minute run at the track. 1st lap in felt a really hard pull in right achilles. I stopped pounding on the track and tried the eliptical for 30 minutes and it felt all right, hopefully nothing major.

Tuesday- Spinervals D.V.D. in the basement. 35 minutes

Wednesday- Run on track (I hope) 45 minutes.

Thursday- Eliptical trainer 45 minutes, Spinervals at home for 45 minutes

Friday- Rest day

Saturday- Long run at track. Hopefully 75 minutes or 7 miles.

Sunday- Spinning class at YMCA

Monday- Short morning run, Spinervals tape

Tuesday- Christmas day- No work-out. Then I'm gone with my family for an 8 day trip to Cozumel!!

My goal through November and December was to work on running. Because of that I decided to stop swimming and biking. I just readded biking to the mix and will start swimming again in January.
Later,
Bryan
2006-12-18 8:47 PM
in reply to: #627299

2006-12-19 5:56 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
All righty...

Tuesday - Swim in AM, strength or core in PM

Wed - off day

Thurs - swim in AM, strength or core in PM

Friday - normally ride stationary bike at the Y, but since I am off work, I would prefer to get in a 40 minute run -

Saturday or Sunday - 40 minute run

Now, any of Friday, Saturday, of Sunday's plans may be scrapped because of last minute shopping, going to see the Christmas trains, cookie baking, etc. Since I am still not in a rigorous training program, I am usually quick to bag a planned weekend workout for family activities... especially with really young kids at Christmas time.

My downfall this week will definitely be treats -- I can usually pass up the odd donuts and stuff that appear at work, but my wife and I will be making cookies and other treats all week... starting with Chocolate Peppermint bark last night. mmmm.

Have a great day...
2006-12-19 6:50 AM

Elite
Great goals for the week. Did anyone notice that I have Christmas coming on Tuesday instead of Monday? Oops, I guess my kids are goin to be real dissappointed on Monday.

Hope everything is going well for you Suzanne. You mentioned your husband was going to be motivating and coaching you. Any chance he would want to join the group also? Just a thought.
2006-12-19 7:55 AM

Master
Tiger's Den

Bryan, I'll ask him for sure! He's an ex football player guy too, and trying to drop weight (the story of our lives!) as well.

I'm just maintaining status quo until the New Year with the exception of my training for the half mary. This week is a recovery week, so my long on Saturday will be less this week.

Tues: trainer ride, 30 minutes (only 30 'cause I have lots of baking to do as well as Christmas cards to finish, not to mention laundry and cooking dinner- spaghetti)- you know, no rest for the weary!

Wed: get up early for my run- will do 3 miles, should take about 35 minutes including warm up and cool down. Have a nail appt in the evening. Priorities peeps, priorities! Got to have pretty hands for opening up all my presents!

Thurs: trainer ride- 30 min- have to take my MIL (she lives with us) to get her hair fixed, so there is a slight chance this may not happen or may not be all 30 minutes, but I'm going to try!

Friday: off- going out with dear hubby to dinner- we got a $50 gift card to a local steak place! woo hoo!

Saturday: 7 mile run in the morning- better lay off the salad Friday night (LOL)

Sunday: off, cleaning house for Santa- he likes a tidy house!

Monday: 3.5 mile run in the evening (yes I'm gonna run on Christmas day- got to keep with the schedule, and it only takes 45 minutes!)

Tuesday: another trainer ride, 30 minutes at least.

2006-12-19 9:10 AM

Elite
Suzanne
You must be getting stoked for your half marathon. You're lucky to be in a climate that is condusive to outside running in the winter months. You mentioned something about needinig a wet-suit for open water swims. If you are looking at decent priced wet-suits you should look at the Neo-sport. I think it is a pretty good, not great, but good suit for about a hundred bucks. Also, if you look on e-bay under triathlon wet-suits you can find a seller who will on occasion have quintano roo suits for about $120.00 these are new suits also. Actually that is where I got my new Neosport from. I'm pretty leary about buying from e-bay but have had good luck through them with tri-stuff. I think in general triathletes are pretty honest people who would hate to rip someone off.

Dave
Have you ever thought of looking at buying a used bike to get started on? I bought a new O.C.R. 1 from Giant 3 years ago and was a great bike to get me going on. I paid more than I ever thought I would for a bike at that time and assumed this would be the bike for me for at least 10 years. Long story short, I really got into tri's last year and REALLY liked the look of the Cervelo's. Problem was there was no way I could justify spending that kind of cash on another new bike. Did a lot of looking and asking people online and eventually found a used P2 that was in great shape. I talked to the owner several times before bidding and felt this was a very honest trustwothy person to buy from. I got my new bike for under $1,000 and that came with the computer and a very nice set of Ritchey aero wheels. I have no doubt you could find a nice starter bike with decent componants for under $300.00 if you looked. I wish I would have went that way in the beggining instead of buying a new costlier bike that I was only going to really ride for 2 years.

Just some thoughts for the day.

Scott
I'm still laughing about the t-rex arms thing. Just a question with your lifting? What are you focussing on when you lift? What are your sets and reps and what upper body parts are you lifting? I'll check your logs also to see. I have no doubt you know more about bikeing, swimming and running than I do, but I think I can help you with lifting. I use to be a competitive power lifter as well as a personal trainer for a few years. My problem is I am trying to lose weight-yes even if it is some muscle weight. I have to get my weight down to hopefully slow down some of these over-use injuries. One quick suggestion if you want to look better- Work your triceps and your shoulders at least 2 times a week and work them hard. So many guys waste a ton of time working there biceps to make the beach muscle look great. You will look much better with well defined shoulders and triceps and they cotribute a lot more to triathlon activities also.
2006-12-19 9:34 AM

Master
Tiger's Den

Bryan: I think I will check out ebay and Neosport after the holidays- probably February after my bank account has had time to grow a little! Yes, the weather here is perfect for outdoor running, but I only get to on the weekends as I am leery of running in the dark. 2 weeks ago, it was 27 when I finished my run. Yesterday it was 76 when I left work. Go figure...

Good to know that you know a lot about weightlifting. I am getting excited about my husband's boot camp. I know my strength and flexability is an area I need to work on, and I am ready to see some improvement! He said his main focus on me will probably be shoulders, back, triceps, abs, hip flexors and quads. Wait a minute, that's just about everything...Tongue out

Scott: from a woman's perspective, shoulders and chest are the first thing I notice about a guy- my hubby has very nice shoulders and chest

Dave: I bought a Trek 1000C( same as pilot now) and love it, although I think I've already outgrown it somewhat. I will probably add clip on aerobars this summer and who knows what else. By the time you add on the seat I had to replace, the clipless pedals, the shoes, the helmet, the biking shorts, etc. I probably already have $1200 wrapped up in this bike, even though the bike was less than $600. So I'll be keeping it for a while unless I come across a super super duper deal. BTW, I ride a 50cm bike, but could probably use a 48 or 49 if you see any good deals!

Have a good week everyone!

Edited by SuzanneS 2006-12-19 9:37 AM
2006-12-19 10:34 AM

Master
Tiger's Den
My husband would like to join us, so you can consider him the 5th person. I am setting up his account now.... he can't log on at work, just at home...
2006-12-19 10:55 AM

Not far from God's Land Clemson, SC
Ok this is Suzanne on Derek's account. I've set him up and he will get on tonight to post as a full fledged member!

2006-12-19 10:59 AM
in reply to: #627763

2006-12-19 12:28 PM

Regular
Long Island
Hello Bryan. I would like to join your group.

After reading your short Bio, I thought this should be the right spot. My Name is Curt. I am Guidance Counselor in New York. I think we have a similar background. I played football in College and still love to compete. However as time went on after college I found myself sitting in a chair all day gaining weight. Coming out of College I was 6'1" 210 now 240. I was always use to playing oin a team instead ofan individual sport. I still coach HS football today but I wasn;t happy with my own fitness level. I starting mountain biking throughout the year and really enjoyed it, but started to lose interest after constantly riding alone. In the past I entered into a few MTB races and did ok. I am looking more into triathlons because of the different sports involved and the competitive nature. My goal is to complete a sprint Triathlon over the summer. I dislike running because of the constant pounding but I hope when I lose weight it will get easier. I have a son and another child is due any day. I have a thousands questions to ask but for now I will just say I hope I can get into your group and we'll take it from there.

Thank you,

Hinch45
2006-12-19 12:55 PM

Elite
With the addition of Derek and Curt I guess that fills our group up. I guess Suzanne all ready knows more about Derek than she probably cares to But, if you get a chance could you update us more Derek?
Curt, welcome to our group. Sounds like we have a lot in common. Really look forward to learning more and seeing how we can all motivate each other even more. I am also a VERY competitive person in regards to myself. It has actually been a huge hinderance in my training. I always want to go as fast and as hard as possible. This is great for some work-outs, unfortunately triathlon is an endurance sport. I am usually unable to force myself to work in Zone 1 or 2. I go full blast and then blow up after 30 to 45 minutes. It is almost impossible for me to keep my bike speeds down in the easy ride speed. That will be one of my big goals is to turn down the competiveness. As far as all your thousands of questions go, I think you joined a great group. I am the supposed mentor, but that is probably only because I started the group before Suzanne, Scott and Davie did. I look at our group as simply a way to motivate each other and help ourselves along.

So this is our group
1. Suzanne- SuzanneS
2. Scott- Spokes
3. Dave- DTraub
4. Derek- TigerD
5. Curt- Hinch 45
6. Bryan- MNDiver

I'm taking off as soon as I can get out of school and doing my last bow hunt of the year tonight and tommorow. I'll catch up with everyone tommorow night.
Bryan

2006-12-19 12:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Thanks for the bike tips. I will definitely be looking for used, around $300. I'm 5'10, but I don't know what sized frame I would be. I'm guessing 54cm, because that seems to be quite common, and my height is pretty average, I guess. Would you all consider it a mistake to buy a $200 bike from Target to get through a couple seasons?

Welcome Derek and Curt.

I am going to try to figure out how to add everybody's logs to my blog thingie.
2006-12-19 1:10 PM

Elite
Depends what kind of bike you are getting. I'm 5'11....6'0 on my drivers liscence. I have a 58 cm road bike that fits great. My tri bike is a 55 and once again fits great. I really wouldn't recommend a Target bike just because the componants are usually really low end. I think you would be better off finding a good used bike before a low quality new bike. Just my opinion though.
2006-12-19 1:20 PM
in reply to: #628124

Master
Tiger's Den

I second this... go to Craigslist and your local paper. You should be able to find a good bike for your price range that's used. Here's the thing, people who sell their good road bikes are doing so for one of 2 reasons.

1. They are upgrading

2. They never ride.

So, if #1 is the case, you are most likely getting a well maintained bike, and if #2 is true, you are getting a bike with very few miles on it- practically brand new...

The only thing I would recommend is getting a professional fit from a local bike shop. Since I started at a LBS, I got fitted with my purchase, but I understand getting fit for a bike can make all the difference. Maybe go and see what size bike you need, tell them you are going to get a used bike but that you will use them for the pro fit (usually around $100- if you find a bike for $200 this will work) and/or for the accessories. (Bike helmet, bike shorts, etc).

Oh and by the way, you can get by without clipless pedals but they do make a difference. And there's a huge difference in the comfort level of a walmart helmet and a good helmet. And trust me you want the shorts with the padding in them. These you can get online for a decent price. I started off with one pair and just washed them a bunch, but 2 pair is a luxury....

2006-12-19 3:17 PM

Bryan, I know the group should close at 5, but if you can handle one additional person, I would like to join this group.

Let me tell you all a little about myself. I'm 41 yrs old, married for 21 years, with 2 boys. I have worked as a paramedic in Charlotte for going on 18 yrs.

For most of my life I was extremely obese. My highest weight was about 3 yrs ago when I reach the 418 pound mark. Although I was very heavy, I remained fairly active. But as the years rolled by it became more difficult for me to function. I got to where I could not even go up a flight of stairs without becoming extremely short of breath. I had two episodes of difficulty breathing were I thought I was going to die. Once I was even transported to the emergency room. My Doctor ran some test. My functional respiratory capacity was 45% on a good day, so when I had bronchial spasms it was much less. He told me that if I didn't loose wieght that I would be dead in 5 yrs. I had tried to loose weight all my life, and would loose 50-100 pounds, only to regain it all plus more. I had a friend who had Gastric by-pass, so I researched it, and decided this was my only option. It tool me a little over a year to get approval, but I had my Gastric By-pass surgery on March 9th, 2004, My oldest son's 16th birthday, and the start of my new life. I had surgery on a Tuesday, and walked 1.5 miles on that Saturday. I continued to walk, and slowly increased my work outs to include an hour on the eliptical trainer each day. I had enjoyed hiking as a child, so I started going to a local park, and hiking 5 miles a couple of times a week.

My best freinds mother-in-law has MS. He had decided to ride in the MS 150 and asked me if I would like to do this with him. I said sure. When I was in high school I rode a bike 15 miles to school, and everywhere else, as this was my only form of transportation. I had bought a K-mart bike, just after my surgery. So we started training for the MS ride. After the 2nd training ride, I realized that I needed a road bike. So I made the investment. By the end of last summer I was up to riding 20- 30 miles a day, and 50 miles at least once a week. I have ridden in the MS 150 for the past two years.

If you can't tell I became a cycling nut. But I also started to run, on the treadmill,and weight training during the colder months. This year I was challanged to do some sprint tri's, and have started training for these.

I joined the local aquadic center, and have started swiming a couple of times a week. Swimming will by far be my weakest discipline. Right now I am focusing breathing every third stroke. I found a regiment online that go from 0-1650 yards in six weeks. This is swimming 3 times a week, and gradually increasing the distance.

I am now down to 225 pounds. I have ran in a couple of 5K's with my fastest time being 35 minutes. My goals for this year are a couple of sprint tri's, and a dual.

I hpoe I can be a part of this group, but if not let me know and I will look for another.

Tim.
2006-12-19 4:31 PM

Hello Bryan, I would like to join the group if you still have openings.

My name is Anthony. I am 33, married, with three lovely daughters (7,6,&3). I am very much a beginner in the triathlete game. I am planning for my first sprint this spring or summer. I am a moderate-to-slow runner, moderate-to-slow biker, and poor swimmer. I can side stroke pretty well, but can not free style very well at all. So I have some serious work to do.

I am a former athlete as well. Played football, baseball, and powerlifted competitively. I have been in martial arts off and on for several years but struggle to find time to train to stay in condition and sharp. I stuggle with weight also. I stay strong but get fat easy. I don't really enjoy running but it is the only thing that keeps the weight off. To enjoy running and stay stoked, I need something to train for.

I see triathletes as the ulitimate overall endurance athlete. So why pick anything else than this.
2006-12-19 7:46 PM

Good evening all. My name is Derek and I am Suzanne's husband. I appreciate the invite to join the group. I guess this is Suzanne's way of getting me to train with here for a triathlon. I certainly can't join BT and not train for one, so I guess I will train for the sprint tri in Greenville, SC this upcoming summer.

First of all, let me tell you a little about myself. I'm 34 years old, 6'0 295lbs. I'm an ex-football player who was very athletic during my youth. I was very active playing football, soccer, neighborhood swim team, threw shotput and discuss, etc. However, I have always stuggled with my weight. I'm very competitive on the field and at the table . I was all set to walk on to the Clemson football team my freshman year. I was in the best shape of my life at that point. I was weighing in at about 225Lbs. I was fit and strong. However, I hurt my shoulder in a pickup game of back yard football and missed my shot at making the team. From that point on, my eating got the best of me. I would lift weights off and on over the years, but nothing overly serious.

In December of 2000, I weighed 350Lbs. I decided to go on a low carb diet and start working out again. Over the course of 2 years, I lost 127 pounds getting down to almost 220 pounds. I felt great. But as it usually goes for most of us, the weight crept back on over the last 3 years or so. I did get back up to 320Lbs about a year ago, but have dropped about 25 Lbs since then to my present weight of 295Lbs or so.

Since Suzanne has done so great with the running and then the triathlons, I have actually thought about doing one. When you go to these events, you think to yourself I can do that. I guess now I have no excuss but to try. I have to be able to keep up with her. When I lost the 127Lbs several years back, it encouraged her to the same. Now it is my turn to look up to her for setting a goal and achieving it.

The running is actually going to be my hardest part. Very similiar to Bryan, being such a big guy, the wear and tear is rough when your out pounding on the road so much. The swimming part is not that bad for me. My stroke is pretty good...endurance is the only issue and that can be fixed with time. I will have to go out and find me a bike. I think the bike will be my stongest part, but it's been a long time since I've ridden a bike so you never know.

My biggest Obstacle is that I love to competitive bass fish. This takes up most Saturday's in the spring, so getting my long runs or rides might be tough. I will have to get creative here.

I'm looking forward to doing this with you guys and getting started. I will post my workout regime for the week on a seperate reply.

D

Edited by TigerD 2006-12-20 8:23 AM
2006-12-19 7:57 PM

Here is my training schedule for the week. You have to understand that I have a long way to go with running and such. I am the true beginner!

Monday - Brisk Walk for 5 minutes to warm up. Ran 1.6 miles running for two minutes, walking one minute, running 2 min., so on so on. I had a pretty good pace during the run portion pushing myself a little. Cooled down with a 5min walk

Tues - Ran 5 hills in my neighborhood. A moderate hill about 70 yards long. It felt good.

Wed - Going to the gym to do upper body weights. Ride 20 minutes on stationary.

Thurs - Run 20 minutes on treadmill...go bowling afterwards.

Fri - OFF

Sat - OFF (Going Fishing)

Sun - Run/Walk 3 miles.

Xmas Day - Don't know yet...but something.

My regimen will really pickup after the first of the year.

D
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mndiver's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8