Subject: RE: mndiver's Group - FULL
Oops. Group title.

2007-02-26 9:22 AM
in reply to: #625415

User image

Regular
Long Island
Has everyone fallen alseep or are we to busy training to keep up. Anyway, I actually took a week off and went skiing now that we finally have some snow around here. I was a little worried about running when I got home. To my suprise instead of sucking wind I felt great and ran my fastest time without even trying. It really got me back into the training grove.

How is everyone else doing?

Hinch
2007-02-26 9:53 AM

User image

Elite
Geez, I'm glad someone chimed in.  I feel crappy not posting or logging here in so long.  Been pretty sick the last couple weeks and saw my work-out times plummet.  Decided this would be a break-out week.  Lots of training time to be done.  Kind of had an easy winter this year until Late January and February came.  Had about 3 weeks of bone chilling cold.  Finally warmed up enough to go outside and BAM we got hit with about 15 inches of snow with more predicted later this week.  Oh well. too bad for us.  I have an 8K coming up in two weeks and am REALLY hoping to be drwan for Grandmas half marathon in June.  The drawing is on Wednesday.  I'll be pretty bummed if I don't get in.  Other than that we are tenetatively planning a mock tri in early May for MN BTers and then the fun really begins.  I'm starting to get really excited for the tri season to hit.  How's everyone else coming along?
2007-02-27 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Hey guys! Things are going well here. Had a couple of lower intensity weeks, but this week it's back on! Although I won't be getting my bike time in, bike is for sale and hopefully will be sold on Thursday. New bike has been ordered and should be in this weekend. Here's a link to what I am getting....

http://www.feltracing.com/products/product.asp?pid=75&catid=18,19,28

I start with my coach on Monday. Can't wait. I'm sure she's gonna kick my rear!

2007-02-27 8:09 AM

User image

Elite
Great looking bike.  Too bad for the unfortunate ORANGE color.  Next thing you know they will have football teams dressed like that!
2007-02-28 6:30 PM

Not far from God's Land Clemson, SC
Hey guys. I've been a pretty poor member of this group. I don't get much time at work to post and being on the computer most of the day, the last thing I want to do is get on the computer at home. Anyway, my training has been going slow and steady. I'm starting to feel like I'm making some strides...it is starting to get easier. I've drop about 21 or 22 lbs since the first of the year.

I'll be getting the bike this weekend so that will be a good change...starting to get bored of the same ole, same ole.

Hope everyone is doing well and I'll will talk to you guys later.

D

Edited by TigerD 2007-02-28 6:32 PM

2007-02-28 7:02 PM

Hello Group,
I have been moving and just now getting settled in and got my computer and internet hooked up yesterday. I will be reading through the posts and giving an update on my training (unfortunately not much to update on).

I will be in touch again soon.
2007-02-28 7:49 PM

User image

Elite

Great job on the weight loss Derek.

Ascelente-Great to see you back.  Hope life gets easier with the move done.

2007-03-10 8:06 PM

Hello group. I've been pretty slack concerning posting, but I wanted to give my post race report. I completed the MAP Sprint TRI today, Time was 134:30, which placed me 400th out of 576.
2007-03-10 8:42 PM

User image

Elite
All right!  Way to go triathlete!  Nothing better than the first tri.  I'm sure you learned tons of things that will make your next one even better.  Did you post a race report?  Once again, great job.
2007-03-12 7:24 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Great Job!! So how was it? Since I have yet to do my first triathlon, I am very curious about the entire event? What did you learn, WHat would you have trianed harder on? What would you change the next time you TRI? Any inside tips you could pass along? If you don't mind I am always curious. Thanks, Hinch

2007-03-12 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
AWESOME!!! So are you addicted yet? All it took for me was my first and I was hooked! I want to be the 80 year old lady still racin'!
2007-03-13 4:33 PM

My first Tri experience.

I was extremely nervous going into the event. I still am not very comfortable with my swimming. I spent a week in New Orleans two weeks prior to this event. While in New Orleans I crashed my bike, and bruised my rib cage, which made swimming very painfull. I was still hurting the last day I trained for my swim, so that hightened my nervousness.

On the moring of the event,I arrived early. I had been coached by a freind about how to set up my transition area. Well anyway, I got my race packet, timing chip, and took my equipment to the TA. The spot for my bike was convientently at the end of the rack. I had brought two towels, one to lay out all of my stuff, and the other to dry off with. I also brought a 5 gallon bucket to use as a changing stool. I set my bike up on the rack, hanging by the seat and facing toward the exit of the TA. I placed my helment, and gloves on the handlebars. Then I draped my jersey over the bars. I placed my socks in my bike shoes, and my hat on top of my runnig shoes. Once I felt I had eveything set up for efficient transistions, I went and got body marked.

This was a pool swim, so the start times were arranged according to our estimated 100 meter swim times. Needless to say, I had a littlebit of a wait, before my time came. Actually, it was about 1.5 hours. This was good and bad. First of all it gave me time to observe what the other competitors were doing, second it gave me time to observe what the other competitors were doing. The first guys were out of the pool, and on their bikes in less than 6 minutes, WOW. But these were the elite triathletes. The next thing about the long was I remained anxious the entire time.

We were suppose to be able to have some warm-up swim time in an adjacent pool, but some kid took a dump in it, so that did not happen. So I figured; I'll warm up during my 500 meters. When I got out of the pool, my swim time was about 10:45 sec, I was stoked. The nerves were gone and I was ready for the rest of the event. I know that's still a slow swim time, but I was happy.

My first transition time was 2:03. Having everything organized really helped speed things up.

I did good during to bike segment, however my legs did try to cramp.

Second transistion was slower than I would have liked, 1:59. All I had to do was change shoes. but I did not run through the area. I also took the time to take my HR monitor watch of the bike and put it on my wrist.

I'm a slow runner, so my run time was about what I expected. I will focus more on improving my run time for future events.

Overall it was a great experience. I have a Dualthon next weekend, and beyond that nothing scheduled. I will most likely sign up for the Wilmington YMCA Tri which will be on September 29th. Also myself and some coworkers are planning on doing a couple of relays.

I am hooked, the issue now is finding the time to continue to train at a level that will provide the results that I need. Then having the days off to compete.

i have not yet posted a post race report, I'll do that now.
2007-03-13 5:17 PM

User image

Elite
Great report.  You'll probably find yourself looking at the triathlons in the area closer and closer and think about signing up for more.  I did 5 last year and wanted to do 3 or 4 more.  This year I have another 5 on the schedule with a few runs thrown in.  You warmer climate folks are so lucky your season has began.  Once again, great job.
2007-03-13 6:57 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Great Job! I'm Proud of you. Thanks for the deatiled report. It really helps us newbies try to invision what our event will be like.
2007-03-27 6:31 AM

User image

Elite
It's been pretty slow on our side for the past month or so now.  I think everyone has either decided they really like this sport or has maybe drifted on to something else.  Had a pretty interesting week for a few of our members.  Looks like Suzanne figured out there is never a bike ride short enough to not have the right attire for and DTraub had a great 15K run.  One thing I have figured out in triathlon is that I learn something new every single time I participate.  So what is everybodies main "event they are now training for?  Mine is towards the end of the summer, so I have time to practice.  All my work-outs are being focussed around  the Pigman Half Ironman in August.  I have 5 other tri's a duathlon and a half marathon that will hopefully get me prepared for that race.  If all goes well I will then head down to Ironman WI and volunteer for this years race, then get in line the next day to sign up for '08.  So, what do you guys have on tap?

2007-03-27 6:09 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
I'm glad someone started talking again. I have not lost the desire yet, far from it and I still have not yet completed my first tri. Anyway this is what's going on with me. I have lost a total of 35 pounds! I went from 145/150 to 114 this morning. I run 3 times aweek and have increased my running to about 3 miles which is what my sprint tri consists of. I hope to continue to push that to 5 by July. Which is when my evnt is. Before that I have entered into a Dualthon in May and a 5k run in april. I ride on the weekends about 13-15 miles. It's starting to get a little nicer outside so I hope to get out more and longer. I'm really getting worried about the swimming. I found alocal pool but it is only open on Mondays to the public and of course that is the worst day of the week for me, time wise. I still don't kow what I am going to do about t a wetsuit. I think I will try to fond a place that rents them. Since I have never been in one, I think I need to practice getting in and out of it. ANyway I am continuing to work hard and I hope everyone else is.

Hinch
2007-03-27 7:36 PM

User image

Elite
Great to hear from you Curt.  I really hope you meant you were down to 215 pounds and not 115 pounds, if so, slow down man.  You are going to be ready for your first tri and love it.  You'll be amazed how nervouse you will be at the start and then it will be over and you'll be fired up to do it again as soon as possible.  Some people like to train, others like me and I expect you, like to compete.  Thats why we train.  Great job with the weight loss and keep going.  As far as a wetsuit goes, don't get overly concerned about getting in and out of them.  There is no rush putting it on before the event and during T1 it is wet and comes off much more easily.  Best of luck.
2007-03-28 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Did you just hear my chin dropping to the floor when you said 115 lbs???

I suppose my main race is the SC half on 9/30 but since that is so far away it's hard to feel like that's the main one. So, my first is the Clemson sprint on 5-12 and that's what I'm getting ready for now, even though my training distances are more getting me ready for the OLY in June.

I do need to find a cheapy wetsuit though. Ladies M. Anyone have one they want to sell?

2007-03-28 8:51 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island
I'm Sorry, I meant 215
2007-04-03 7:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Hey all. It might have looked like I dropped off the face of the mentee-earth, but I guess I just kind of went into hibernation mode. Anyhow, Spring is here and it seems like we're all making moves toward the season.

I just copied this from my logs:

"I did it. I joined USAT and registered for my first tri.
It's a short sprint on the campus of my alma mater... and it's 2 1/2 weeks away! So, yeah, I'm a bit nervous-- not so much about finishing the distances, but more about the mechanics... knowing where to go, what to do and when, do I have all the information I need, setting up transitions... etc.

But, moreso, i am super-excited. I had the germ of an idea to do a triathlon last August on my 37th birthday. THen my head said, "yeah right. I don't have the time or dedication for this." But here I am, and here I go."

So, thanks for all your support and advice. I will try to be more active here

Dave

2007-04-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: #746758

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Good luck! You'll do awesome! You'll be able to learn what you need to know by watching others, it's really not that hard!
2007-04-13 6:18 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Just looking for an update, How is everyone doing?
2007-05-08 4:36 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
So I guess this group is dead??? Well this Sunday, is my first Dualthlon. 2-10-2. I think I am ready for it. I have run 3 times a week and have completed 50 mile bike rides. SO we'll see what happens!

Hinch
2007-05-08 5:04 PM

User image

Elite
Hey Hinch.  Originally I thought the mentor groups were supposed to run January-March.  Very happy to keep corresponding though.  Great job onn the 50+ mile ride.  Best of luck at your upcoming duathlon also please keep us informed of the results.  My first race isn't for another 3 weeks still so I have to live vicariously through you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mndiver's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8