BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dodgersmom's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-12-24 11:00 AM
in reply to: #625416

New user

TEXAS
Subject: RE: dodgersmom's Group - FULL
I have been trying to get some of my co-workers interested in doing the Tri with me. Today one of them brought a tape to the station about a guy and his son. I believe their names are Dick and Rick Hoyt.

The son is completely disabled, he and his dad compete in Ironman Triathelons. The dad pulls his son in a raft for the swim, rides the bike with his son on the front and pushes his son in a wheelchair for the run. To top it off the dad carries his son through the transitions and secures him to the next piece of equipment to be used.

Talk about inspiration!!

If they can overcome the obsticales they have had to overcome and get out there and finish every race they start, then surely I can complete a little sprint. The love of the father for his son and the dedication involved to be able to complete such a task out of that love should inspire all of us to achieve our goals. Watching them cross the finish line, in the dark, with a full crowd still present, cheering them on, brought tears to my eyes.

It was truely awesome!!!

2006-12-25 3:07 AM

New user

TEXAS
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
2006-12-25 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
The Hoyts are amazing.  I was sad to hear that Kona was the last race they would do.  You're right about inspiration!
2006-12-25 9:19 AM
in reply to: #632820

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-26 7:57 AM

Pro
Keller, Texas

Happy day after Christmas all,  I hope everyone had a great holiday!  Now is the time to get serious thinking about all those 2007 race commitments.  I know I am!!

2006-12-27 7:58 AM

Pro
Keller, Texas
Morning everyone!  Hope everyone is well rested after Christmas!  Have a great day!

2006-12-29 8:20 AM

Pro
Keller, Texas
Good morning everyone...where are you?  I know this is a tough week, but only a few more days till the new year!  I hope everyone has a great weekend and gets in at least one workout!
2006-12-29 10:00 AM
in reply to: #636232

Veteran
Good morning.

I've stayed consistant with my workouts through the Holiday season, and plan on starting my swim training tomorrow morning.

I'll try and have some races picked out by next week. I've already registered for 2 early century rides in Feb 07.

Happy New Year everyone!

Cheers,
-j
2006-12-30 11:22 AM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Hey, all -

Happy New Years Eve Eve.

Sorry, I've been quiet, I came back from in-laws with a pound of fat and a killer cold. I took the week off in order to get in my long run today (all other workouts pale in importance for me - it's the one that really helps me improve). I made it, and thought of our fearless leader and her hubby doing their long run in a week. With at least three of us sick this week, I know that we're probably all feeling a little behind. No sweat, though, the muscles (and joints) can use the rebuilding time.

I'm in the pool tomorrow (if they're open - I'm doing a drive-by today), and the trainer is getting set back up once my wife heads into work this evening.

I seem to be awfully slow this year, but I'm doing my best to not let that bother me. Slow and steady wins the race, or so they tell me. Considering I only beat the HIM cutoff by 8 minutes last year, it makes me nervous anyway.

Marcy, what's the plan for race day? Are you going to run it together?

-Josh

2006-12-31 5:30 PM

New user

TEXAS
Happy New Year's Eve Everyone!!!!

I hope you all have a great evening and keep it safe. I hope everyone around here does also so I don't have to get out tonight (working today and tomorrow). It's just so cold here lately and besides, with my job, if you see me it's a bad start to your new year.

I start a new training plan tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll start getting into the pool once a week, change up my strength program and start a more structured approach toward running.

QUESTION: When training inside on the bike, how much resistance should I use to simulate being out on the road?

I'm also starting a new eating plan, try to get the weight dropping again. I'm going to try 4-5 small meals a day and using the "right combination" of carbs and proteins. I'll still be watching calories, keeping to 1250-1500, and work at keeping fats at 20%.

Any interesting New Year's Resolutions out there?

2006-12-31 6:18 PM

Pro
Keller, Texas

Happy New Year's all!  Sonia, are you a police office, an EMT or a Dr?  Everyone be safe tonight.  Tomorrow starts my new plan which includes consistant workouts...

I need to get myself out of bed early to workout.  Probably try to get my swim in before going to work. 

I am also going to take advantage of the fact that I have a full gym at my work.  There is no reason I can't take my lunch hour and lift and then eat at my desk afterwards.

And for eating, all of the crap is gone from the house.  I need to have a plan for eating, no more coming home and asking Steve..."So, what do you want for dinner tonight?"  I want to plan out my meals.  Breakfast and lunch are easy, a bowl or cereal for breakfast and I usually take a lean cuisine and some yoghurt and fruit for lunch.  I have to start drinking a lot more water than I do now.

LoneStar is 88 days from now and my #1 goal is to have to switch my registration from Athena to AG!

Be safe all!!

2006-12-31 10:13 PM
in reply to: #638027

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Happy New Year's to all --

I'm celebrating alone, as my wife is another one of those people you're hoping not to see tonight (ER Doc).

Sonia, do have a heart rate monitor (or are you good at taking your own pulse)? The combination of cadence (a religious war, but generally higher is better up to at least 80-90 or so) and heart rate will help you to get the resistance set for indoor riding. Just two cents from a far below average rider. If you're talking about a gym bike, it may have the metal contacts on the handles and a heart rate program to automatically adjust the resistance to keep you in the right zone. On a fluid trainer, just gear there. If none of this works, you can always try the singing/talking test - you should be able to do both easily.

My long run put me in bed yesterday with a significantly worse headache. That's what I get for jumping back in with both feet. Another forced rest day today, and I'm thinking tomorrow too unless I wake up feeling much, much better.

No resolutions for me, just incremental improvements.

Josh

2007-01-01 8:40 PM

New user

TEXAS
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

I hope everyone had a terrific day. Mine was quite busy, but I was able to get my workout in. It took two sessions but I got it done.

Marcy, I am a Paramedic.

Josh, I'm sorry to hear that you have been sick. I know how it is. I was sick for 10 days and had to take a lot of time off from training. Maybe if I had listened to everyone sooner I would have recovered quicker, but I kept pushing myself when I should have stayed home. Taking it easy and missing training for a few days is better than being out for a week, or more.

I do have a heart rate monitor and use it on a daily basis. What I really am trying to find out is what resistance simulates being outside, the drag of the road. I heard that if you use a 1% incline on the treadmill it more closely resembles running outside. Is there a certian resistance level that resembles biking outside?

I go home tomorrow WHOOPIE!!!! But I only have one day off this time.

2007-01-01 10:02 PM
in reply to: #638670

Wisconsin
Sonia-

I second Josh's advice on the bike trainer. I've been on my trainer quite a bit already this fall/winter, and this is my first off season using a Heart Rate Monitor and a cadence sensor. I really can feel myself improving. I've been doing a lot of one legged drills. I'm slowly getting better--you can really tell where the dead spots are in your pedal stroke.

The road condition is always changing too, with wind, hills, and rough roads, so I think it would be hard to say there is one resistance on the trainer that fully simulates the road.

I can only speak for myself though, so it's just my two cents.

Santa brought me a book called "workouts in a binder for indoor cycling"
There are a lot of good workouts in there as well. It's a good change of pace then just "riding."

Happy riding-

Joy
2007-01-02 8:09 AM

Pro
Keller, Texas

OOO...One legged drills are hard, but I was amazed when I did them just how bad my pedal stroke was.  I have 2 friends who ride on power cranks.  They are cranks that operate independantly, like constant riding doing one legged drills with both legs.  I tried them and they are hard but...Aaron (jeepfleeb) broke a crank on his bike during IM Fla (the powercranks are on his training bike).  He was able to continue to ride 15 miles before catching up to a mechanics wagon to fix it.  If he had not spend so much time with the powercranks, his race may have been over.

I do think that that trainer is much harder than riding outside, but if you hate the cold like I do, it's a necessary evil.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

2007-01-02 10:11 AM

CA
Hi all:

Wow, I'm so impressed that everyone has been diligent in their training efforts over the holidays. I was only able to get in a couple of walks with the dogs and a stationary bike ride or two. My parents were visiting from out of state and as much as I loved having them here, I found it next to impossible to follow my training plan.

I've still got a week of vacation so I'm going to get back in the pool today. I'm also scheduled to run for 10 minutes. I've restarted the Couch to Sprint program again, as I have found that missing a week of workouts (at the start of the program) really hinders my ability to catch up to the scheduled sessions. Has anyone else had a similar experience or found a way to work through this? I guess I need to focus more on just doing something instead of feeling like I need to complete each training day at 100%+.

I'm looking into buying a heart rate monitor, any recommendations?

Susan

2007-01-03 9:42 AM

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey All,  Hope everyone is having a good day.  I spent the day in bed sick yesterday but luckily it was a 24 hour bug.  I am feeling really weak this morning ad very dehydrated.  Susan, I use the Garmin 301 HRM.  The newer model is the 305.  I love it.  In addition to the heart rate data I love the GPS function.  You can download your workouts into a program like Motion Based and see your actual routes with all kinds of cool data.

I know BT is working on the functionality to have that download capability too.

2007-01-04 3:56 PM

CA
I've dpne it!! I signed up for a 5K walk/run in February AND I've recruited my husband and a couple of friends to join in! Thank you for the advice of signing up for the run instead of the walk, without your help I would have done it the other way around. Is there usually a time limit for the run?

The event is part of a Mini-Sprint Triathlon/Duathlon. I would have liked to have signed up for the Mini-Sprint but can't do the full run. Do all Sprint Triathlons require participants to run the entire distance? I thought I heard that some races were designed specifically for beginners. . . I don't see the "beginner" in getting disqualified for walking. Here's another question, when the swim portion of a Mini-Sprint Triathlon is done in a pool do you have to know how to do a flip turn or can you touch the end of the pool and then turn? How many people swim in the pool at a time? Do you just stay in one-half of the lane or circle around?

Would it be unreasonable to contact the person in charge of the race to get these questions answered?

I appreciate being able to ask these questions here. . . if I didn't have BT or all of you as mentors I think I would be too intimidated/embarrassed to try these new things.

Susan

2007-01-08 9:21 PM

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey!  great questions!  COngrats on signing up for the run!  That's awesome!!  Some answers:

No - you are not required to run the entire, or as a matter of fact, any of the distance.  Sometimes there are time constraints but run, walk or crawl it really doesn't matter.  as for flip turns, no way.  I can't do them and I have done a few pool swims and 995 of the people touch the wall.  As a matter of fact, I use that to my advantage trying to get as big a push off the wall as I can!    Don't be afraid to sign up for a sprint.  You'll love it!!

2007-01-09 1:15 PM

Wisconsin
Hey All!

We've been slacking a little bit on the communication

I think in every triathlon I've done, there have been people who have walked on the run. So I wouldn't worry about it. There is no way they could say "no walking"...because there are times when even people who are blazing fast run into issues where they have to walk (cramps, nutritional problems, etc.)

I've done one triathlon with a pool swim (due to the e. coli levels in the lake- yikes)
I didn't do and flip turns, and I think there were two people in my lane (me and someone else)
There was somebody on the deck counting laps for you.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask the race director your questions. Better to find out than be surprised.
You should sign up for the sprint!

Hope everyone's training has been going well. I've been quite rushed lately with teaching and basketball. I have to be anal with my time management to get done what needs to get done.

2007-01-12 6:17 PM

New user

TEXAS
Hi Guys

Sorry I have been out of touch for a while. First the internet was down then that 24 hour bug ( that lasts three days) went through my house, we were all down with it. I just got over it yesterday, stomach is still a little weak today but I did get on the bike for a 45 min ride. I got all my logs caught up. I also keep track of nutrition and training in a notebook that I keep with me at all times. It really helps to keep me on track, especially with the eats.

I was glad to see that flip turns are optional. I don't know how to do them, but was going to learn. I still will but it has moved down the priority list. I got into the pool last week and it was great. I really love to swim, always have, just need to learn to do it right/more productive.

I am having a problem with my little toe on both feet falling asleep while riding the bike. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need a better seat? Oh , by the way, THANKS for all the advise on my last question. I have taken it to heart and am training using HR and keeping cadence at upper 80-low 90.

Hope everyone is well.

Sonia

2007-01-13 9:29 AM

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey...I am back and alive.  Really sorry for the lack of communication lately!  Between the flu and the marathon, Thinga are finally back to normal.  Actually worked out yesterday.  If you have not read my race report, I died OK...not as good as I hoped. I had originally planned to finish in 2:45.  I knew by mile 6 that was not going to happen.  So I set my sights on 3:00.  Finished in 2:59:58 whew!!

It was tough.  I am not used to the humidity anymore and at race start, it was 70 degrees and about 90% humidity.  I am sure that my 4-days of not being able to eat played a part too.

How is everyone?  I'll check in with your logs later today...after the RAVENS destroy the COLTS!!

Anybody sign up for any races?  My next is the LoneStar Oly in Galveston.  From what I hear, the people putting on this race are the best.  I am really looking forward to it!

2007-01-14 1:15 PM

CA
I've been a bum all week and haven't followed my training plan. Learning that I could walk the run portion of the race both comforted me AND (strangely enough) set back my training goals. So to counteract that, I went ahead and signed up for the mini-Sprint on Feb. 11th instead of the 5K. I also signed up for a Sprint in LaQuinta on Aprill 22nd. I think I better just dive into it or I'll make excuses for never getting past a walk/run 5K. I'm also reasoning that experiencing transitions and setting a base time will give help me set improvement goals.

If the wind isn't blowing, the race in LaQuinta should be beautiful! I had the option of renting a wetsuit, but chose not to because I think my size will change by race time. Does anyone have any advice on this? Do we really need to know how to fix a flat on a Sprint? Where would I learn that?

I hope everyone is feeling well and enjoying working towards their race goals.

Susan
2007-01-16 12:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Hi all! I'm the new kid. Thanks Marcy for letting me join! I'm suffer from long-windedness so I'll try to be brief.

Name: Mandi

My story: I'll be 26 before this mentorship is over.  I started training on a whim in May 2005 - did 2 sprints. I was addicted! Until...dun, dun DUUN...I got injured (not from tri - I was a professional Folklorico dancer)  March 2006.  I missed all last season, but I'm finally on a walk to run program now.  The plan is to do a race at the PlayTri festival in April - either 5K or 750swim/5K. I also want to do at least one sprint this year, and if my rehab goes well more. I been able to do nothing for so long that I'm actually struggling to do whatever I can now. I'm also really feeling disconnected from tri stuff. So I think this will be a great way to get connected and motivated again. Now, to decide what race I'll focus on. This is so much fun to be able to do stuff again!

I've read through your bios, so now I feel like I know y'all a little. I'm looking forward to joining in on some discussions. Have a great week! I'm off for a walk (I know it sounds pathetic but it's what I can do right now.)

Marcy - give dodger and hoover a pat for me!

2007-01-16 12:47 PM
in reply to: #654091

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Susan, for my first sprint I trained with the intention of running the whole thing but still had to walk about half of it when it got to race day.  It was a struggle even to run as much as I did.  Knowing you can walk may give you a sense of not having to train as hard, but believe me, its a FALSE sense!    Just my 2 cents.  Congrats on jumping in with both feet.  Now you'll really have to be committed to training. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dodgersmom's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5