Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-12-15 5:18 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: dodgersmom's Group - FULL
Here's my story!

Marcy - Moved from Columbia, Maryland to Keller (DFW area) Texas in March 2006.  I have completed a decent number of sprints, 2 olys and suffered though one HIM!  Have an Oly (lonestar) and HIM (longhorn) already on the schedule for next year.

I love the bike, don't mind the swim and have learned to not hate the run so much.  BT has been instrumental in megetting as far as I have, and I would love nothing better than being there for someone else!  I have made so many friends through this network.

Outside of tris, I am a corporate trainer, have 2 beagles, love to travel and spend time with my husband...Pick me...Pick me! 

Edited by dodgersmom 2006-12-18 12:59 PM

2006-12-15 8:51 PM
in reply to: #625416

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: dodgersmom's Group - OPEN
Okay, Marcy - This'll get me out of the 'lurk list'! Thanks for doing it.

You got me through one half, now it's time for another.

I fell way, way off of the wagon after Florida, and, not counting some false starts, I've just gotten the running going again over the past couple of months. Last week was my first 3 swim week in I don't know how long (600 yards a piece). I'm doing some stairs as well, to keep my quads strong enough to avoid knee trouble. My bike still has a race number on it from a sprint last June...

The good news is that I'm right on track for the new Atlanta ING marathon on March 25, this time in a purple jersey (go team). I'm passing 30MPW going in the right direction, and I'm feeling strong. I don't know whether or not it's reasonable to be ready at the end of May to go back to Disney (I'm mostly not sure about bike miles), or whether I'm looking at something else further along in the year. I'd really like to do a half again by the end of June, if I can stay injury free. Looking ahead, I think this has got to be my century summer.

Between the Hawaii Ironman and Biggest Loser finale on the Tivo, I'm raring to go.

I need some encouragement to get back on the bike (my least comfortable piece), and especially just some check-ins, someone who is expecting to hear from me that I put some swims together, that I'm making progress, that I put the bike rack on the new car, etc.

It was a pleasure meeting you and your hubby at Disney, and having your support, so I'm both a mentee candidate and a walking ad - pick Marcy! pick Marcy!

-Josh
2006-12-15 9:28 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Josh,  It's so great to hear from you.  How's your dad?  It was great racing with you last year.  I'm really glad to hear that you are back on the wagon.  I do agree that anyone who watched the Biggest Loser has to be inspired. I am totally hooked on that show.

Wow, a marathon!  That is awesome.  We are heading down to Fla. the first weekend in Jan to do the Disney half...something about races in Disney, I can't stay away!  I'm really excited to be a part of this program.  BT has done so much for me.  The network of people I have met have kept me inspired so it feels great to "share the love".  Please tell your dad I said hi!  I'll talk to you soon!

2006-12-15 10:09 PM

New user

TEXAS
Hi Marcy, I picked you because you live in Keller. Not only am I a Texan but the tri that I have picked to be my very first is going to be in Keller, 07-29-2007.

I am a 45 year old grandmother of 8 (blended family) with 1 daughter, 18, still at home. I am a Paramedic and work 48 hours on, 48 hours off.

A little over two years ago I decided to train for a tri. I was well on my way when my life seamed to just fall apart, due to severe depression, anxiety and stress. I quit training and gained weight. Now I am starting from scratch, again. I started working out in September and have lost 30 lbs, I still have 50 more that I want to loose. I have been walking 2-4 miles most everyday and doing strength training 5 days a week. I never have been much of a runner so now I am doing the walk/run intervals, which I just started. I started riding the stationary bike last week and can do the 13 miles in about 34 minutes, I know it will be different on a real bike. I am a strong swimmer but have never done the whole breathing thing, so I have to learn that. I really want to do this and if I can finish somewhere mid pack that would be great, but right now I just want to be able to finish anywhere but last.

When I told my husband that I wanted to do this 2 years ago he wasn't very supportive. I don't think he believed me. This time I am going to just train and when it gets close to time I'll tell him then.

Any advise or tricks that you can give me will be very much appreciated.
2006-12-16 1:14 PM

CA
Hi Marcy:

I'd like to join your group. My younger sister competes in triathlons and for the last couple of years has wanted me to start training. Although I welcome her encouragement, her perspective on training (as a super fit athlete) is annoying and potentially dangerous for me, which is why I've become a member of BT. However, I've been a member for 9 months and haven't made any progress. THIS IS WHY I NEED YOU!

I'm 42 years old, married 14 years, with no children. I'm very athletic, but have never taken the time to be an athlete. Being 30 pounds overweight for a number of years, I'm very lucky to be as healthy as I am. Nonetheless, I've decided that it is time to stop messing around with my health and fitness--no excuses.

I've chosen the Couch to Sprint 12 week training program, but realize that I will have to really push myself on the running--I really don't enjoy running. I'm setting aside 2 hours a day for weekday training and 4 hours a day for weekends. I'll look into the Body for Life program that you mentioned for weight loss. I welcome any suggestions that you have.

I don't have any race dates set, which is probably a bad idea. Do you think I should consider signing up for 3 or 5Ks this winter?

Thanks!
Susan

2006-12-16 7:15 PM

New user

TEXAS
I have been doing a lot of browsing and came across this in an article titled 'Cycling Conduct for the Novice Triathlete':

5.8 Illegal Equipment.

Any participants who any time uses, wears or carries a headset, radio, headphones, or any other item described in Section 3.4(i) shall be assessed a variable time penalty

I have been training with my walkman, not only on the bike but also the walk/run, and it really helps to keep me motavated and keep my pace up.

2006-12-16 7:29 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Sonia,  OK, keep in mind that this in just my opinion but...

Let's start with the bike.  On the trainer, indoors, it's OK but I would really...really strongly suggest that nobody wear headphones while riding outside.  Fortunately, I have never had a close call, but I know many people who have had not just close calls, but actual run in's with cars.  Now I can tell you that the majority of the time, it is the car drivers fault, but we have to take every precaution out there, and being able to hear everything that is going on around you is the most important thing you can do.

As far as the run, I do listen to music about half the time.  The thing is, during a race it is an absolute No No and you will be DQ'd.  So, I have started running more without them so when it comes time to race, I won't go crazy.  Inside on the treadmill I always have either music or the TV.  I would also say to use your judgment as far as where you are running.  On a crowded path or trail, not so bad, but if you are relatively alone, I would say no music so you can hear everything around you.  It is also kinda cool to just listen to the sound of your breathing and your footsteps. 

2006-12-16 10:24 PM

New user

TEXAS
I see your point. I really hadn't thought of it that way. All of my training this far has either been indoors or on a track. I live in a small town so I don't worry to much about people sneeking up on me. I quess when the day comes I won't need anything to keep me motivated.
2006-12-17 1:39 PM

User image

Wisconsin
Sign me up!

Brief Background info: I'm a single 25 year old from Wisconsin, I'm a physical education teacher and a basketball coach. My schedule over the winter time gets pretty chaotic, but once the basketball season is over, I have much more time.

I got into triathlons about five years ago. When I did that, I lost close to fifty pounds. Two years after I started, I got two major stress fractures in my tibias. This, in combination with living the college life, contributed to adding the pounds back on. Since the injury I have remained active, finishing a marathon, and maybe three more triathlons. I am at the point right now where I want to know just how good I could be. (which I won't truly know until the weight sheds off again!)

I'm currently following (mostly anyways) the 8 week bike focus plan on BT. My goal is to finish a half ironman this summer...I'm looking at entering the Buffalo Springs Lake tri in Lubbock TX. Just haven't worked up the guts to sign up yet!

I don't have any friends up here who bike, run or swim. Everything that I do is up to me, and it is up to me to get myself going. I look forward to having a group to keep me on track.

~Joy

Edited by the_energy 2006-12-17 1:39 PM
2006-12-17 3:52 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Well guys, looks like one more and we are full.  So far we have

Josh
Sonia
Susan
Joy

I am really looking forward to us all working together for our common goals!  A few questions for all of you...

Would you prefer to use this forum to communicate, or would you prefer to use inspires (which I will use in addition to forums or PM's) or would you like to use PM's?  However you would be most comfortable. 

Which races in 2007 do you or are you considering your "a" races.  This means the race or races that you are totally focused on?

I have 3 this year, which is probably one too many.  I have the LoneStar tri (oly) in Galveston on April 1st, CapTex (oly) in May and the Longhorn HIM in October.  Galveston may drop off as an "a" race and I may just use it as a gague of my fitness.  Everything I do in 2007 is leading up to Longhorn and hopefull Ironman AZ in 2008 (yikes)

It would be great if all of you could add the others to your friends list. 

Fianlly, as I think I have said to each of you, the best thing you can do is fill out your logs.

Have a great Sunday everyone.  I know here it is almost 80 degrees and I had an awesome bike ride!

2006-12-18 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Marcy-

I picked you for three reasons. You're intro is short and to the point. You're a CT (hoping I can pick your brain on a couple smaller related questions). And, I spent half of the weekend watching Shrek with my 2.5 year old. If you've seen it, you know that the DVD menu has the donkey jumping up and down in the background saying "pick me...pick me!" After reading the last line in your intro, this struck me as pretty funny.

Jason- 31 years of age (feel like I'm 16, wife says I act the same age as my son! ) Very much into exercise, in fact, I treat it as a second religion. We can talk about my workout schedule later. I consider myself VERY active in cycling, running, snowboarding/skiing, rock climbing and the likes. Married 5 years with one boy. Live near Salt Lake City, Utah. Work in sales at Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd.

Started reading forums and articles from BT earlier this year. Looking for a new hobby that coincides with activities that I already participate in. Swimming will be my crux, but something I'm very much looking forward to improving upon. 2007 is my year to TRI!

Whatta ya say?

-j

2006-12-18 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: dodgersmom's Group - FULL
Well guys,,,thanks for picking me!  I am really looking forward to seeing what we all can acheive in 2007!  Thanks for picking me
2006-12-19 1:22 PM

New user

TEXAS
Hello Everyone,

I'm up for any of the communication avenues, I'm still learning how to use all of them.

My 2007 "a" race is also going to be my very first tri. I am looking to the RunBiTri in Keller, TX on 07/29/2007. I like the sound of the reverse format and the fact that the swim is an indoor pool, that is what really sold me. I had considered the Buffalo Springs Lake in Lubbock, only 80 miles from home, but the water is so cold. I have been there in late summer and it is still cold. I don't have a wet suit and don't plan on buying one until I've decided to do more tri's.

This is my second go at training for a tri, last time was 2 1/2 years ago and let's just say that things just did't work out. I'm back to square one, have some weight to loose and build up my endurance to be able to run. I have NEVER been a runner so that is the hardest part for me. I am doing a run/walk program, I'm currently doing 2 min run/ 3 min walk for 30 min. I have some very specific goals and I'm really going to try hard to stick to them.

I really want to do this!!! I also don't have anyone to train with here and I don't have alot of encouragement or support on the home front. They are all for me working out but I don't think that they would take me seriously if I told them what I was wanting to do, they didn't last time and quite frankly I proved them right.

I'm glad to be part of this group.
2006-12-19 1:57 PM
in reply to: #625781

User image

Veteran
Susan-

I'm not the mentor, but my wife is in a similar situation as you...she's not too keen on running.

I have done a couple 5Ks with her, to be supportive. And the nice thing about these types of races, are the fact that a lot are set up as 5K walk/run. They are sometimes put on for a good cause as well. Benefits: You're in a running environment, but won't get dq'd for walking. You can take your time and enjoy yourself. The other runners/walkers around you will be a distraction, and by the time you know it, you've ran further than you thought you would, enjoyed it a little, and can see the finish line. If it's for a good cause...even better...you've spent the morning outdoors for your well being, as well as someone else's.

Caution- Don't sign up for the walk, and then run. It's not fair to those who remain in walk mode.

Cheers,
-j
2006-12-19 4:55 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

I totally agree with Jason.  When I am out running on my own, my times are never as good as during a race, yet is seems like I put out less effort.  Part of it the the adrenaline (sp) on being in an organized run.  Part of it is having other people around.   As you progress and do longer and longer races, there is also a social aspect that comes into play.  I enjoy "talking" to people on the run.  Even if it's just saying hi as they pass me (notice not when I pass them).  Triathletes are the most encouraging people in the world.  There will always be someone saying "good job" or "way to go". 

Running for me is still my weakest of the three, but I really don't hate it like I used to...and shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I am actually starting to enjoy it!

2006-12-20 8:02 AM
in reply to: #628145

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Sonia,

I fit all the criteria of your post too!  In July, I was back to square 1 with my fitness.  Heavier than I ever have been, but hooked on the tri bug.  I have never enjoyed running, but I too use the walk run method of training and it has made amazing improvements in my speed and stamina in a short time.  I still do a 2/1 run/walk most of the time, but im ready to change it to a 3/1. Keep at it and you will see great improvements!

You should all be proud that you have taken this step!

Sonia - 2006-12-19 1:22 PM  I'm back to square one, have some weight to loose and build up my endurance to be able to run. I have NEVER been a runner so that is the hardest part for me. I am doing a run/walk program, I'm currently doing 2 min run/ 3 min walk for 30 min. 

Edited by Doughboy 2006-12-20 8:03 AM

2006-12-20 9:58 AM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Hey, all -

I prefer communicating here, because I haven't quite figured out a decent way of communicating via inspires (do I reply on my log? reply on yours? any way to set up notifications?). Then again, I'm not quite an old enough dog to be stuck where I'm at, so I'm open to learning.

I did the run/walk for my first marathon (Niagara Falls). Yep, five hours of run/walking, 4/1 no matter what. So, I'm a believer. I've also enjoyed a half marathon without a step of walking. I've also been last, and won hardware in various races. It's been a brief but diverse workout experience for me over the past few years... As the song says, "It's your thing, do what you want to do" Just find your comfort and be proud of yourself at home, on the road, or in a race.

My A race actually hasn't been picked yet. My B+ race is the Atlanta marathon in March, and my A race will be a HIM follow-up in the summer.

In the meantime, it'll be the struggle to get myself to the gym and eat the right amount. If I could find the right balance between fueling well enough to work out and not inflating I'd be a happy happy man.

Welcome to all, and I look forward to getting to know all of you,
Josh
2006-12-20 11:47 AM
in reply to: #628922

User image

Veteran
Josh-

Check out the ABS Diet book from Men's Health. It's NOT a diet, but a great plan for eating right, and getting the most out of your meals.

I have passed it on to several friends who have seen HUGE results and are hooked.

Again, It's NOT another fad diet. I have never had a weight problem...yet ( and don't plan on it in this lifetime) but the ideas/advice/recipes seem to keep me fueled no matter what activities I'm participating in...century rides, 1/2 marathons, climbing, etc.

Shoot me an email if you need more info on what the book is all about or where to get it (Barnes and Noble)

-j
2006-12-20 6:17 PM

New user

TEXAS
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I look forward to the day that I can run a full 30 minutes without stopping and "ENJOY" it. I will keep my thoughts positive.

Josh, I have also been searching for that delicate balance between fueling and inflating. Currently I am trying to keep my calories to about 1200 - 1500 and strive for a 20 % fat, 30% protein, 50 % carb balance. At one time I had my calories down to <1000, usually closer to 800, which was fine at first but as my workouts increased so did the fatigue factor. 1200 is working good for me for now but I am trying to loose about 60 more lbs. This won't work for most, to few calories, but it works for me for now.
2006-12-21 11:24 AM

User image

Wisconsin
Hey all-

Today only comes around once, so let's make the best of it!

(I say that as my run just got bagged because something interfered with my lunch )
2006-12-22 6:43 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
OK guys, tomorrow is my longest run ever...14 miles.  It's a 7 mile trail that I am going to run twice.  I plan on having some water and gel in the car since I have to come back to the car at mile 7.  I'll carry one water bottle and a gel with me.  I hope to be better than 3 hours.  Think about me mid-afternoon.  I am going to need all the good vibes I can get!

2006-12-23 5:34 PM

User image

Wisconsin
How did your run go Marcy?

Sounds like a good plan you have to go with the loop. When I trained for my first marathon last spring, I always ran loops. It was much easier to have things stashed somewhere instead of carrying it.

Make sure you let us know how it goes....

Happy festivus!
2006-12-23 5:59 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats to Marcy on a new land distance record! 12.17 miles! Disneyworld will be a piece of cake now... (mmm, cake)

I'm off to the Buffalo area to visit my inlaws through Wednesday night, so I won't be around.

I have no expectations of working out while I'm up there, but I'm bringing the sneakers to aid in my escape if nothing else.

In the meantime, good luck to all, and I'll check in Thursday to see who has been naughty and nice,

Josh

2006-12-23 6:39 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Guys,

Well, I didn't make the whole 14, but did 12.17 in 26 minutes. A big old PR for me!  Have 2 blisters that make things a little uncomfortable.  One on the ouside of the smallest toe on my right foot and one under a toe on my left foot.   I really felt great during most of the run.  Aerobically I was feeling good.  And physically was good until about the last 2 miles when I really started to feel it.  We parked one car at the end of the trail 3.5 miles from the house so we would have extra water bottles.  That was a really good idea but I could have used another water.  By mile 10 I was almost out.

I feel pretty good now except for some cramping in my right hamstring!  Thanks for you encouragement.  The Disney 1/2 is only 2 weeks away and I am now feeling very confident that I will be able to do the distance in the time I want.  I am aiming for 2:45!

Enough about me...how is everyone today.  I know Josh had a great run this morning.  Anyone else get out there today??

2006-12-24 7:18 AM

New user

TEXAS
WOW Marcy, that's great!! I can't even imagine running that far that fast. Twelve miles is way out there for me at any speed. Great Job!!

I'm out of the endurance training for a few days, found out I have the flu and my doc really doesn't want me to even be at work much less working out. Taking time off work is not an option for me unless I just can't function, I'm the only medic in town this weekend. He'll just have to be happy with me slowing down a bit.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dodgersmom's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5