of 5

2007-02-23 10:30 AM
in reply to: #700581

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Subject: RE: dodgersmom's Group - FULL
dodgersmom - 2007-02-23 10:25 AM

Mandi...do you have your eyes on any races this year??

I sure do!  Since I'm still trying to add back one thing at a time, my goal is to do the aquathon (swim/run) at PlayTri in April.  Then I'm looking at the Metroplex sprint in June as my first tri in 1.5 years!  I've got a whole list of possibles on my blog, but it's open to suggestions.

Thanks for the encouragement!  I couldn't have been this patient without all the support here.

2007-02-24 3:36 PM
in reply to: #625416

CA
That's GREAT news, Mandi!! It sounds like you have the perfect weather to restart your training.

I just signed up my sister and myself for the LA and Seattle Danskin races. She's the one who got me going on all of this and I was psyched to hear that she is coming to California to participate in the LA race with me! I don't get to see her very often, so I decided to sign up for the Seattle race, as well. It will be fun to share this experience with her. I suppose that I should get busy reserving a bike rental.

It's cold here. . . we didn't get the snow day we were hoping for on Friday, but have some residual low temps. I want to get out on my bike today and get in a swim (BRRRRRR). I've just started reading the Chi Running that somebody here (I can't remember who) recommended. I think that it will really help me. Has anyone gone to the Chi Running seminars?

Do any of you use an ipod while training? Are they allowed in most races? It seems like they would be dangerous. . . but I saw people using them at the 5K that I did. I would like to try one but don't want to become dependent on music to motivate/move me. . . I would rather be able to do that on my own. . . I'm obviously still working on that!

Susan

2007-02-24 10:29 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Susan,

Way to go with signing up for the Danskin.  The Danskin in Orlando was my first tri ever and I totally loved it.  As soon as I crossed the finish line, I could not wait to sign up for my next race.

I do train with an iPod when I run...never on the bike!  Here's the thing though, in a USAT sponsored tri (which almost all are), you cannot use them.  Most running races will allow them.  You may want to get used to running without one so when race day comes, you will not be going crazy without music.

I am finding lately that I am becoming more reliant on technology when I workout...an iPod, My Garmin and a HR monitor.  I am going to try to start using it a little less (with the exception of the HRM).  It's hard the first few times without music.  I found that I knew where I should be on my run by what song was playing.  You get used to it though.  Sometimes just listening to my breathing and footsteps is really cool!

2007-02-25 9:11 PM

CA
Goals for the week: 1) get up early every day to do CORE workout w/ball 2) Do all scheduled training sessions 3) drink water!!! 4) pack lunch every day 5) eat a good breakfast AND a good dinner daily

2007-02-26 11:12 AM
in reply to: #702745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

lose4tri - 2007-02-25 9:11 PM Goals for the week: 1) get up early every day to do CORE workout w/ball 2) Do all scheduled training sessions 3) drink water!!! 4) pack lunch every day 5) eat a good breakfast AND a good dinner daily

Can I steal your goals?

2007-02-26 10:24 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Great goals.  I especially like the lunch one.  I was doing really good for awhile but then I ran out of food and have not gone to the grocery store.  We ave a cafeteria where I work, and the salad bar is decent, but I never feel satisfied after that.  You not only get much better food when you pack it yourself, but it's amazing ho much money you can save.

2007-03-01 8:13 AM

User image

Wisconsin
Mandi-

How did those goals for February go for you? I met one of the three..my goals were 10,000 yards swim, 18 hours on the bike, 30 miles running. I met the swimming goal, but only made it half way to the other two. will think of some goals for March.

Susan- way to go on signing up for those races! Sounds like fun!

We are being swamped with another snowstorm today. We didn't get much in terms of winter storms all winter, and then bam! two big ones in a week. I am supposed to go to Chicago tonight to see a concert, my hotel is non-refundable, and it looks like I won't be able to make it. Makes me want to cry!
2007-03-04 9:06 PM

CA
Hey, how did everyone do with their training goals this week? Me, not so good. I started out strong on Monday. . . but fell apart during the middle of the week. I did eat breakfast and pack a lunch 4 out of 5 days, but not so good with dinner choices and workouts. I'll keep working at it.

So, my goals for the week are the same as the last. Anyone else?

Susan
2007-03-06 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

I had a hard time meeting my February goal of walk/run 23 miles, and 1000y swim, because of being sick.  I didn't swim at all - Doc's orders, but I walked 19.43 miles, and did start running.  I'm happy with that since I was sick the whole time between sinus infections and the flu. 

My ankle is feeling a little off right now because I hiked and over did it last week.  But I'm hoping for March that I can build up jogging to be able to continuously run 15 minutes at a time, and start swimming the last week of March (my nose should be healed enough from surgery by then). 

I like the idea of making/taking meals.  This month I'd like get on the Zone diet and plan out my meals/make grocery lists for a month of meals that I can use in the future. 

Happy Training!

2007-03-07 11:55 AM

User image

Wisconsin
Have a great week of training everyone!

I have had a pretty good week thus far. Didn't set any goals for myself though. I really haven't been all that hungry, which is a little weird for me. I usually have a huge appetite. I really need to start thinking ahead of what races I want to do and get a plan in place before it's too late!

I am heading out of town for the next four days to do a little R&R down in Madison. I'm meeting up with some old friends...should be fun (and probably also a little trouble!) I'm hoping to get a run or two in while I'm there.....
2007-03-18 9:21 AM

User image

Wisconsin
How is everyone out there doing?

Marcy- I was reading your log this morning and saw this:
"Got my wheels back from the shop yesterday. Had them glue on new tires and change out the cassette. I am going to get out and try thm tonight!"

What does this mean? Particularly the changing of the cassette? (and if you don't mind, roughly how much did it cost?)

I'm itching to start riding outside again. Temps are still too cold though. I gotta get my bike into the shop for a check up first...especially after all the trainer hours this winter.

Nice job on the race!

2007-03-21 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Hi All!

Sorry I've been out of touch for a bit.  I had my nose surgery on March 14th, and I've had a bit of a rough recovery with unstoppable bleeding and pain off the charts!

How is training going?  How's the morale?  I'm looking at my goal to do a swim/run race on April 21, and wondering if that's going to happen.  We'll see how it lines up with my overall goal of being healthy.   Any one have any races coming up soon? 

2007-03-22 7:48 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey folks.  Sorry to be out of it for awhile.  There is just not enough hours in the day.  Glad the surgery is over Mandi.  I really hope you get better soon.  I miss seeing you out at the races.  The tires I had glued were on a pair of Zipp race wheels that I bought.  They were used and I got them for $550 for the pair which is incredibly cheap.  The reason I had to chenge out the cassette was because my bike (Trek E9) is a 9-speed bike and the cassette that came with the wheels was a 10-speed cassette.  It would not work on my bike.

The tires are called tubulars because they are glued directly on to the rim, unlike most tires which are clinchers.  I raced with them on Saturday and had a great ride.

Got to eat now but will come back later and put some updates in.

2007-03-22 8:07 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Ok, I'm back...Had my first race of the season last Saturday, the Saint Paddy's Day Sprint in Keller.  I had the best finish I have ever had. 1:27!  Felt great on the bike and run but just never felt comfortable in the pool.  It was COLD!  Probably in the mid-40's coming out of the pool.  By mile 2 on the bike my toes were numb.  I lived every minute of it though.  The pics are in the album if you want to take a look.  Next race is in Galveston on the 1st.  An Oly!  Not sure I am ready!!
2007-03-25 8:15 PM

CA
Hey everybody!

Wow! A 1:27 Sprint??!! That's terrific, Marcy!

I've had a rough two weeks. . . I started the Jenny Craig diet but have been completely exhausted (and broke!), so I've decided not to stick with it. I've had a couple of long swims and some walk/runs but have been too busy to log them and now can't remember which days I trained and which days I didn't. I'm determined to get back on track this week. I'm scheduled for a Sprint the end of April and still am not running! EEEEEEEK!

Good luck making your training goals this week!

Susan
2007-03-26 1:34 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Speaking of still alive...
Hey,

I know a lot of the entries start with apologies for disappearing, but I really do mean mine. I just haven't been in one place, and my websurfing has definitely suffered. It was a pleasure to read through everyone's journey so far, though, and I hope to be able to keep up with y'all more regularly as we go forward.

I'm not going to go back and redo the log, because, well, I've really enjoyed moving to pen and paper logging. It somehow seems more satisfying to me. I did put in yesterday's run, the ING Georgia Marathon (my third - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... It was a hot and hilly day, and I wasn't super-smart, but had a good day and a good enough performance to keep things going. I have some blisters today, and some very sore legs, but no lasting damage.

In general, my run training and swimming have gone pretty well. Biking is lagging behind but okay, with my long ride only at 30-35 miles right now, less than 10 wks from a hilly HIM (Rock N Roll in Macon). I just haven't come up with a good solution for when I'm traveling (most weekdays), whereas I've joined a gym in London for swimming, and have been choosing hotels with pools whenever possible elsewhere. I've really enjoyed running in various cities and climates - I feel like it is toughing me up a little bit in terms of weather and navigation.

The big news is that, if I beat the cutoff in Macon, then I'm going to do an Ironman this year. Jen and I talked about it, made a budget spreadsheet (yikes), and it looks like this is the year where it could come together. I'll update my goals accordingly. I'm in the Kona lottery, but am starting to negotiate FF miles with Delta and BA to get me to Busselton in case I'm not as lucky in triathlon as romance.

My next 'B' race is the jackrabbit duathlon on April 14th. I came in second-to-last two years ago. Then, I improved my time by three minutes and came in DFL last year. I'm a lot stronger now than I was a year ago, and I'm hoping to put in a strong showing against this race that gets under my skin - http://www.gsmtc.com/april.htm

It sounds like it's been a challening spring for everyone, but this is the season for us to throw off those bonds of winter, and get our mileage on. I'll post April mileage goals as soon as I finish my recovery schedule.

Thinking of all y'all,
Josh

2007-03-30 1:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Hey everybody!

Josh I'm so glad you checked in. Sounds you've got some major motivation to push your limits with your rival course in the future. That's a good thing.

I'm so excited and had to tell y'all. I biked (stationary) for 30 minutes tonight. I have not been on a bike (stationary or otherwise) for a full 30 minutes in essentially 7 months (9/2/2006). The fact that I did it without pain is so encouraging to me. It's a baby step, but it feels huge to me!

Edited by Mandi 2007-03-30 1:12 AM
2007-03-31 9:37 PM

User image

Wisconsin
That's awesome Mandi! Congratulations!

Josh, thanks for checking in with us!

How did the month of March end up shaping up for everyone? It's amazing how fast the month went. I feel as though I stayed pretty consistent for once...at least the last half of the month. My running has increased, and so has my swimming. Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can get outside on my bike. Hopefully soon!
2007-04-04 6:35 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congratulations to our esteemed mentor, who fought through sickness, chafing, wind, and not enough food to finish the lone star oly!
2007-04-12 1:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Subject: catch ya later

Hey guys. 

I didn't want to disappear without saying anything.  I'm taking some time off from BT land to try to get healthy.  I'm afraid I've gotten a little obsessed about reading forums, articles and logs about triathlons in place of the training that I really can't do right now.  I've pushed myself to do things faster than my body is ready because I want to get back to tri-ing so badly!  So I'm going to try to reorder my thinking and priorities so I really will get completely well.  In addition to the chronic ankle problem, while I was laying around recovering from my little nose surgery I got bursitis in my hip.  An old-person malady?  Crazy, huh!

I can't wait to hear how everybody is doing and how your race seasons begin, so I'll make sure and check-in on ya'll!

Keep training, and when you feel like you can't or you just don't want to, remember that the ability is a gift even if you are not as fast, and enduring as you'd like.  Enjoy the experience.   Run, bike and swim and extra mile for me!!

2007-04-12 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey all,  Yes, she did survive LoneStar.  Aside from torrential rain, seasickness and chaffing it was a good race for me. 

Hope everyone is doing well.  Great to have you back Josh!!

I'll post something more substantial when I am not at work!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dodgersmom's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5