BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JenBunn1e's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-12-15 5:24 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: JenBunn1e's Group - FULL

Username: JenBunn1e

About me:  25 year old, not married, no kids and overly ambitious chica from Brooklyn, NY.  I work in the finance sector in IT trying to outlive the norm of a typical IT chick.  If you're really interested, I'm a Senior Java programmer, with a focus on J2EE, serverside and clientside programming.  I do some DB stuff mostly on Sybase and UDB.  Geekie enough?  When I'm not working, I try to get myself as far away from it as possible.  I believe in working to live and not living to work.  I like to live the city lifestyle, while still finding time to train.  I did my first tri this past September and havn't looked back since.  Running is my first sport, but tri training forces me to balance hitting the pavement with other disciplines.  Joining BT has helped me maintain my focus on my training goals.  So I thought I'd give back.  Its great to recieve and get inspires and have a whole communitiy to support you.  Besides training, I love to travel, listen to good music and trying new cuisines.  I'm a major gear junkie.  To the extreme where I get special discounts because I buy so much.  So if you have a question about some electronic gadget, chances are I have it or I'm in the process of getting it.

Training:  I've run since high school being on varsity soccer, cross country and track 3 our of 4 years there.  In college I focused on my studies and always just ran to keep in shape.  Currently, I'm training for an April marathon in New Jersey hoping to reach a sub 4 hour marathon.  I've been doing heart rate training trying to keep in my zones to get into better shape.

Races:  I've targetted to do at least 3 more triathlons next year.  I've run a bunch of road races ranging from 5ks to marathons.  I've also done a few century bike rides.  I also plan to run 3 more marathons next year with the goal of qualifying for Boston.  I would also like to do a marathon in all the states as well as a few countries (Dublin, London, and Iceland to name a few).  I would also love to do a half iron man leading up to a full ironman one of these day.  After I have a few more marathons to my name I would also like to try an ultra event.  Adventure sport events are also very appealing to me right now as well.

Fitness Goals:  Trying to stay in shape.  Its so hard now with the holidays and all the parties.  But, BT has helped me with my accountability.  Although I'm heavier than I was in college, I'm still fitter than I was in college.  BT has helped me to realize that and to not be that self conscience about the weight.

Edited by JenBunn1e 2006-12-18 5:26 PM

2006-12-16 12:31 PM
in reply to: #625424

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Subject: RE: JenBunn1e's Group - OPEN

Hi Jen,

I would like to be in your group.  I am a 50-yr old paralegal in Tucson, AZ.  I have two children, a 21 year old and an 18 year old.  I am very active, i have participated in two sprint triathlons and a half IM relay (bike).  I just completed the El Tour de Tucson century.  I have completed three half marathons and countless 5k and 10k.  Swimming is my weakest discipline.  I battled the weight issue for years until my doctor warned that a 300 cholesterol count was not good for me.  I realized that dairy products are not my friend, and have quit eating dairy products for 2 years now.   I used to cook lots of mexican and italian food, which are both loaded with cheese and fat, but have stopped doing that.  I eat lots of low fat and high protein stuff.  By tweaking my diet and with the exercise, my cholesterol has dropped down to 192.  I feel much better, enjoy eating much more now that I have found what works for me and have kept the 26 pounds off since 2004.  I LOVE training, I would rather train that go to the mall. But there are times, especially with the swimming, that I need lots of motivation.  I plant to start swimming consistently in January to get ready for the 2007 triathlon season.  I fear open water swims. 

I love your avatar,, you appear to be a friendly and motivated person.  I am looking forward to being on a motivation team and  getting across that finish line.

2006-12-16 12:49 PM

User image

Hi, JenBunn1e. I'm glad that I found someone in the Tri-state (ha!) area. I live in NJ and work in NYC. With the winter season starting and lack of knee-friendly places to run, I was hoping to pick the brain of someone in the similar situations in terms of how/what/where to train.

I'm 38, married, with 2 sons, 3 & 7. I'm also a Java programmer (beginner, for 2 years) after 15 years of Assembler (that's right) programming. My knees are a bit banged up from years of indoor/beach volleyball. I've watched my sister-in-law do 2 sprint tri's in the past 2 years and decided to do one in July, 2007 (midlife crisis?) My biggest problem has been swimming all my life and about a years ago I picked up the "Total Immersion" book and hit the pool 2 or 3 times a week. I'm swimming about twice a week now and about a mile each session...I'm slow though...takes about 50 minutes to swim the mile. I bike on the Palisades Pkwy since it's right next to me but due to the winter weather I'm now a proud owner of a bike trainer and rollers. I also run outside whenever I can along the west side high way but the pounding can get painful. The other times I just hit the treadmill.

I have a lot questions about equipment, training methods/scheduling and am looking forward to getting advice from a major gear junkie!

Sonny
2006-12-16 4:10 PM
in reply to: #625767

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Edited by JenBunn1e 2006-12-16 4:10 PM
2006-12-16 4:11 PM
in reply to: #625767

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
AZchica - 2006-12-16 1:31 PM

Hi Jen,

I would like to be in your group.  I am a 50-yr old paralegal in Tucson, AZ.  I have two children, a 21 year old and an 18 year old.  I am very active, i have participated in two sprint triathlons and a half IM relay (bike).  I just completed the El Tour de Tucson century.  I have completed three half marathons and countless 5k and 10k.  Swimming is my weakest discipline.  I battled the weight issue for years until my doctor warned that a 300 cholesterol count was not good for me.  I realized that dairy products are not my friend, and have quit eating dairy products for 2 years now.   I used to cook lots of mexican and italian food, which are both loaded with cheese and fat, but have stopped doing that.  I eat lots of low fat and high protein stuff.  By tweaking my diet and with the exercise, my cholesterol has dropped down to 192.  I feel much better, enjoy eating much more now that I have found what works for me and have kept the 26 pounds off since 2004.  I LOVE training, I would rather train that go to the mall. But there are times, especially with the swimming, that I need lots of motivation.  I plant to start swimming consistently in January to get ready for the 2007 triathlon season.  I fear open water swims. 

I love your avatar,, you appear to be a friendly and motivated person.  I am looking forward to being on a motivation team and  getting across that finish line.

Hi! Great to have you! That's great you've decided to change your lifestyle to help your cholestrol problem. Dude! Swimming is my weakest sport too! I'm trying to hit the pool more than once a week. Now that I have my new gym membership (the gym is right across the street from my apartment) I've been taking advantage of the pool! I've taken two swimming classes with a triathlon coach so it has helped a lot. I was scared s***less of my first open swim, but after the first time, I gained a lot more confidence. Great to have you and hopefully I can be of service.
2006-12-16 4:20 PM
in reply to: #625773

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

sonnyk - 2006-12-16 1:49 PM Hi, JenBunn1e. I'm glad that I found someone in the Tri-state (ha!) area. I live in NJ and work in NYC. With the winter season starting and lack of knee-friendly places to run, I was hoping to pick the brain of someone in the similar situations in terms of how/what/where to train. I'm 38, married, with 2 sons, 3 & 7. I'm also a Java programmer (beginner, for 2 years) after 15 years of Assembler (that's right) programming. My knees are a bit banged up from years of indoor/beach volleyball. I've watched my sister-in-law do 2 sprint tri's in the past 2 years and decided to do one in July, 2007 (midlife crisis?) My biggest problem has been swimming all my life and about a years ago I picked up the "Total Immersion" book and hit the pool 2 or 3 times a week. I'm swimming about twice a week now and about a mile each session...I'm slow though...takes about 50 minutes to swim the mile. I bike on the Palisades Pkwy since it's right next to me but due to the winter weather I'm now a proud owner of a bike trainer and rollers. I also run outside whenever I can along the west side high way but the pounding can get painful. The other times I just hit the treadmill. I have a lot questions about equipment, training methods/scheduling and am looking forward to getting advice from a major gear junkie! Sonny

Yeah!  Another female to the group!  Omg!  Thats too funny.  I live in Brooklyn, and I commute to and work in Jersey City.  Swimming is my biggest weakness as well, I think its most peoples.  For running, if your knees are a problem I would suggest running around the Reservoir in Central Park.  Its all dirt so that should be a bit easier on your knees.  For swimming don't focus on distance, focus on technique!  I'm a slow poke too, so no worries, completely understand.  If you're in Jersey, I believe there is a pretty big triathlon group down in South Jersey.  Which tri do you think you're gonna do in 2007?  Also there are tons of tri specific training programs in the city.  If its your first, a newbie friendly one is the Danskin triathlon.  Its an all women's event and is extremely friendly and a lot of female comraderie.  I did it as my first last year and it was a great way to get my feet wet.   Look forward to speaking with you!!!

~Jennie

2006-12-16 7:56 PM
in reply to: #625908

User image

lol, sorry. I guess I should have been more specific (and sorry to disappoint)... I'm a dude! I grew up in B'klyn, Queens and then Washington Heights in the Bronx. So finding a swimming pool was tough for a long time...now that I'm in Joisey, I guess I'm just making up for lost time. You are right though, I do try to focus on one or 2 things whenever I go (swim downhill, elbow high, etc) The sprint tri that I'm thinking of doing is the NJS Tri on 7/22 at Mercer.

Sonny
2006-12-16 8:00 PM
in reply to: #625995

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

sonnyk - 2006-12-16 8:56 PM lol, sorry. I guess I should have been more specific (and sorry to disappoint)... I'm a dude! I grew up in B'klyn, Queens and then Washington Heights in the Bronx. So finding a swimming pool was tough for a long time...now that I'm in Joisey, I guess I'm just making up for lost time. You are right though, I do try to focus on one or 2 things whenever I go (swim downhill, elbow high, etc) The sprint tri that I'm thinking of doing is the NJS Tri on 7/22 at Mercer. Sonny

OMG!  I'm so sorry!  my bad.  I was thinking about the NJS Tri but i wasn't sure about it.  I'm doing the New York Tri so we'll see how that goes.  I live right in Park Slope...so I have the 9th st Y right across the street which is cool.

OMG!  Sorry again!  I'm not disappointed either!  I'm just glad to have people!

2006-12-16 8:21 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hey JenBun!

You've been so helpful and encouraging on my blog that I've just got to join your group!

I am a chick, 44 as of last week, married late at 39 (hubby is not into this sport and has yet to watch a race) and have a son 3 who one minute is my sweetie pie, the next driving me insane! Ha! I was born in NYC, grew up in NY, CT and lived in RI, MA, PA but now live in WI. I miss the Northeast at times! I was working full time in sales/marketing and traveled alot in the US and abroad and went to NYC several times. Gotta love NY right? (my sister lived in Jersey but since has moved to NC) I then changed jobs and got fired after just 5 weeks in commission sales. Oh well...now looking again and I don't recommend losing a job in your 40's.

I am a former smoker and drinker for that matter. So my only vice now is ice cream! And working out! As a kid/teen, I was an avid horseback rider and skier and then in my late 20's started gym work outs but was not a gym rat and dabbled with biking-lots of charity rides but nothing major. Then at 39 decided to do a Team in Training deal for a century ride.I loved it! And then last summer after getting bored of biking and doing hundreds of spin classes decided to try triathlon. My Y does a mini sprint each year so about 3 weeks prior I ramped up to give it a shot. I finished and loved it! I realized I needed lots of help with running and swimming so hit the pool and tm/road. I then suffered some achilles problems from ramping up too much too soon but did a sprint anyhow (walk/run). Since then, I've been improving my running and swimming. I am looking to get some swim lessons in January (I did swim team as a kid but all that is gone now).

I'd like to learn more about hr training - I just shoot for my top zone all the time and I know that is not good all the time. I train 5-6 days a week. Typically - I'll swim 1-2 times a week, bike 2 times, run 2 times - then do a weight class/or water aerobics class and fit some weight training/abs etc.. here and there. I do double up sometimes - bike then a short run or weights. But I really think I am clueless so could use direction since I'm pretty new and don't train with others. I love the challenge and look forward to another race season. I'm not fast but I'm determined! I just wish I decided to jump into this lifestyle when I was your age

2006-12-17 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
Hi Jen!

I've been lurking on the site for at least a month and this mentor program finally convinced me to join BT. I would love to be a part of your group because I think we are very similar.

About me: I'm a 22 year-old female (thought I would make that clear from the beginning given the previous confusion who just graduated from college last May. I moved to New York after graduation (I live in Manhattan but one of my best friends from college lives in Park Slope so I'm there ALL THE TIME). I rowed varsity crew in college and even though we were a DIII team, we made it to NCAAs (Nationals) every year I was there so it was a very competitive, intense experience. In high school I ran Cross Country as well as both Indoor and Outdoor Track so I'm very familiar with running (although it is definitely a love-hate relationship). I got into training for a triathlon because I am naturally competitive and need a goal for working out otherwise I get bored. I'm also a geek like you- I majored in Neuroscience and work as a lab tech doing Alzheimer's Research. BUT I do like to have a good time and go out and take advantage of living in New York as a 20-something, so the social aspect will probably be my major detractor to this whole triathlon thing. While I am a complete newbie, my goal (at the moment!) is to complete a sprint or two this spring and then possibly a half ironman towards the end of the summer depending on how my training goes.

I'm excited to have someone to ask questions and whatnot as I get deeper into training and equipment purchasing (yay geeks!)

Thanks for doing this!
Emily
2006-12-18 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Got room for one more from Brooklyn?

Here's my deal:

38-yrs old, originally from Baltimore, but I've lived in NYC and Brooklyn since '90.  I'm married for 13 years, and have a son who's 2 1/2.  I've been an athlete my whole life, mostly team sports--football, lacrosse, wrestling, softball.  I also boxed for about 5 years or so.

I never ever had any interest in running.  My friend asked me to do the Cape Henlopen triathlon with her two years ago, but I couldn't because my son was born right in the middle of training. Last April, I started running with an eye on finishing the unfinished goal of completing the tri.  I finished it in just over 1:30 and was hooked.  I've got two other races planned for this year, and I'd like to do the NYC 1/2 marathon, too, although I've never done a stand-alone running race. 

Like you, I'm a gear junkie.  I credit my Garmin with getting me started in the first place and keeping me motivated.  I work in Human Resources for a company that sells running shoes and apparel, so I get lots of free and cheap shoes and other gear, whch is great. 

I'm having a challenging time staying motivated through the holidays, so I'm looking forward to having a support group.  This site has been a huge motivator for me. 

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2006-12-18 9:30 AM

2006-12-18 9:34 AM
in reply to: #626001

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
JenBunn1e - 2006-12-16 8:00 PM

sonnyk - 2006-12-16 8:56 PM lol, sorry. I guess I should have been more specific (and sorry to disappoint)... I'm a dude! I grew up in B'klyn, Queens and then Washington Heights in the Bronx. So finding a swimming pool was tough for a long time...now that I'm in Joisey, I guess I'm just making up for lost time. You are right though, I do try to focus on one or 2 things whenever I go (swim downhill, elbow high, etc) The sprint tri that I'm thinking of doing is the NJS Tri on 7/22 at Mercer. Sonny

OMG!  I'm so sorry!  my bad.  I was thinking about the NJS Tri but i wasn't sure about it.  I'm doing the New York Tri so we'll see how that goes.  I live right in Park Slope...so I have the 9th st Y right across the street which is cool.

OMG!  Sorry again!  I'm not disappointed either!  I'm just glad to have people!

I was also thinking about the NJS Tri.  I had orginally thought about the NJ Devilman, but I've heard it's not so good.  I've only heard good things about NJS.

2006-12-18 3:51 PM

User image

I've got a question about the performance membership...I know it's only 20 bux difference, but should I start with the bronze or silver? What exactly is the "detail library of training plans"? are they useful for a newbie like me?

thx,

Sonny
2006-12-18 5:32 PM
in reply to: #626019

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
BbMoozer - 2006-12-16 9:21 PM

Hey JenBun!

You've been so helpful and encouraging on my blog that I've just got to join your group!

I am a chick, 44 as of last week, married late at 39 (hubby is not into this sport and has yet to watch a race) and have a son 3 who one minute is my sweetie pie, the next driving me insane! Ha! I was born in NYC, grew up in NY, CT and lived in RI, MA, PA but now live in WI. I miss the Northeast at times! I was working full time in sales/marketing and traveled alot in the US and abroad and went to NYC several times. Gotta love NY right? (my sister lived in Jersey but since has moved to NC) I then changed jobs and got fired after just 5 weeks in commission sales. Oh well...now looking again and I don't recommend losing a job in your 40's.

I am a former smoker and drinker for that matter. So my only vice now is ice cream! And working out! As a kid/teen, I was an avid horseback rider and skier and then in my late 20's started gym work outs but was not a gym rat and dabbled with biking-lots of charity rides but nothing major. Then at 39 decided to do a Team in Training deal for a century ride.I loved it! And then last summer after getting bored of biking and doing hundreds of spin classes decided to try triathlon. My Y does a mini sprint each year so about 3 weeks prior I ramped up to give it a shot. I finished and loved it! I realized I needed lots of help with running and swimming so hit the pool and tm/road. I then suffered some achilles problems from ramping up too much too soon but did a sprint anyhow (walk/run). Since then, I've been improving my running and swimming. I am looking to get some swim lessons in January (I did swim team as a kid but all that is gone now).

I'd like to learn more about hr training - I just shoot for my top zone all the time and I know that is not good all the time. I train 5-6 days a week. Typically - I'll swim 1-2 times a week, bike 2 times, run 2 times - then do a weight class/or water aerobics class and fit some weight training/abs etc.. here and there. I do double up sometimes - bike then a short run or weights. But I really think I am clueless so could use direction since I'm pretty new and don't train with others. I love the challenge and look forward to another race season. I'm not fast but I'm determined! I just wish I decided to jump into this lifestyle when I was your age

Thats great!  It doesn't matter when you start as long as you're out there!  My SO is not into anything but watching football either, but he supports my crazy endevours.  Hopefully, your hubby supports your training.  Wow, you've lived all over the place.  I went to WI for a conference a few years ago, nice place.  If you leave near Madison, you leave near one of the best tri towns around! 

I did TNT as well!  It was a great experience for me too.  It made training for my first marathon so much easier knowing there was a greater cause envolved.    I think a swim class would be a great idea.  I would look for a class with some tri focus or perhaps a masters class?  There are so many tips you can learn on how to increase efficiency and save energy for the bike and the run. 

What kind of HRM do you have?

2006-12-18 5:42 PM
in reply to: #626716

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
jmk-brooklyn - 2006-12-18 9:38 AM

Here's my deal:

38-yrs old, originally from Baltimore, but I've lived in NYC and Brooklyn since '90.  I'm married for 13 years, and have a son who's 2 1/2.  I've been an athlete my whole life, mostly team sports--football, lacrosse, wrestling, softball.  I also boxed for about 5 years or so.

I never ever had any interest in running.  My friend asked me to do the Cape Henlopen triathlon with her two years ago, but I couldn't because my son was born right in the middle of training. Last April, I started running with an eye on finishing the unfinished goal of completing the tri.  I finished it in just over 1:30 and was hooked.  I've got two other races planned for this year, and I'd like to do the NYC 1/2 marathon, too, although I've never done a stand-alone running race. 

Like you, I'm a gear junkie.  I credit my Garmin with getting me started in the first place and keeping me motivated.  I work in Human Resources for a company that sells running shoes and apparel, so I get lots of free and cheap shoes and other gear, whch is great. 

I'm having a challenging time staying motivated through the holidays, so I'm looking forward to having a support group.  This site has been a huge motivator for me. 

Of course!  Always room for one more.   Whenever you see the NYC 1/2 announced, make sure you sign up!  The race closed in like 2 days.  I could have signed up but opted to sign up for some other races instead.  Are you a New York Road Runner?  I highly recommend it!  You get the newsletter with notices of when the registrations are going to open. 

Also, looking at your logs, and the way you're progressing, (trust me, it starts with one event..then to the next)..you may want to be a New York Road Runner so you have the option to qualify for the New York Marathon in 2008 without the lottery. 

So lucky with the freebies!  I wish I could have that and give my credit card a break.   This site is a great resource!  Trust, knowing that I have people looking at my logs...makes me almost ashamed if I have nothing for training on a particular day.

Edited by JenBunn1e 2006-12-18 5:43 PM
2006-12-18 5:46 PM
in reply to: #627226

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

sonnyk - 2006-12-18 4:51 PM I've got a question about the performance membership...I know it's only 20 bux difference, but should I start with the bronze or silver? What exactly is the "detail library of training plans"? are they useful for a newbie like me? thx, Sonny

I have the Silver plan which works for me.  Its more if you want the details of a particular training plan.  So lets say for Day #1 it will say

3200 yards for 1 hour

do the following

For Swim: Swim Endurance
Endurance
WU: 300 & then 3x 100 choice (free or non free).
MS:
4x200 pull with 30" rest
8x100 with 15" rest
200 kick
6x100 on 10" rest
CD: 200

instead of Go swim for an hour.  It also tells you what kind of strength you should be doing.  For me, it helps to see what I should be doing, but I'm really bad at following a structured plan.  If you need structure, and like to see what exactly you should be doing then you may like it.

2006-12-18 5:53 PM
in reply to: #626358

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Nekton - 2006-12-17 4:11 PM Hi Jen! I've been lurking on the site for at least a month and this mentor program finally convinced me to join BT. I would love to be a part of your group because I think we are very similar. About me: I'm a 22 year-old female (thought I would make that clear from the beginning given the previous confusion who just graduated from college last May. I moved to New York after graduation (I live in Manhattan but one of my best friends from college lives in Park Slope so I'm there ALL THE TIME). I rowed varsity crew in college and even though we were a DIII team, we made it to NCAAs (Nationals) every year I was there so it was a very competitive, intense experience. In high school I ran Cross Country as well as both Indoor and Outdoor Track so I'm very familiar with running (although it is definitely a love-hate relationship). I got into training for a triathlon because I am naturally competitive and need a goal for working out otherwise I get bored. I'm also a geek like you- I majored in Neuroscience and work as a lab tech doing Alzheimer's Research. BUT I do like to have a good time and go out and take advantage of living in New York as a 20-something, so the social aspect will probably be my major detractor to this whole triathlon thing. While I am a complete newbie, my goal (at the moment!) is to complete a sprint or two this spring and then possibly a half ironman towards the end of the summer depending on how my training goes. I'm excited to have someone to ask questions and whatnot as I get deeper into training and equipment purchasing (yay geeks!) Thanks for doing this! Emily

Yeah!  Another New Yorker! Wow, you were heavy into the sports.  You'd probably be smoking on the run.  Best advice I have is stay active.  Find the time to stay active.  If you're new to the workforce, it is a great way to relieve stress.  I try, and I mean try to workout in the mornings so I have the evenings to go out.  What has your longest run been so far?  Have you done any brick workouts before?  Also, if you decided to do a HIM, a lot of the registrations are open already so you should map out your schedule.  HIM have a tendency to close pretty quickly.  Also, to get your feet wet, the New York Tri Club just opened their registrations.  They offer Dus and Tris in the NYC metro area. www.nytc.org I'm thinking of doing the Couple's Du and forcing my SO into the boating part..

2006-12-18 9:07 PM
in reply to: #627321

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
JenBunn1e - 2006-12-18 5:42 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2006-12-18 9:38 AM

Here's my deal:

Of course!  Always room for one more.   Whenever you see the NYC 1/2 announced, make sure you sign up!  The race closed in like 2 days.  I could have signed up but opted to sign up for some other races instead.  Are you a New York Road Runner?  I highly recommend it!  You get the newsletter with notices of when the registrations are going to open. 

Also, looking at your logs, and the way you're progressing, (trust me, it starts with one event..then to the next)..you may want to be a New York Road Runner so you have the option to qualify for the New York Marathon in 2008 without the lottery. 

So lucky with the freebies!  I wish I could have that and give my credit card a break.   This site is a great resource!  Trust, knowing that I have people looking at my logs...makes me almost ashamed if I have nothing for training on a particular day.

Great idea about the NYRR. I'll have to look into it.  I had a good run tonight, in spite of a leg cramp, so I'm glad to be getting my training log off on a good foot. 

2006-12-18 9:36 PM
in reply to: #627321

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Hey Jen-- I have a Polar HRM. I forgot the model - got a good deal on Ebay. It is a watch also. It does not have fancy stuff on it like lap info so I can't figure out my LT. (and frankly, not sure if I'd know what to do with it). I set it up with my zones based on my HR for age and usually shoot to train at 80/85%. My running is always higher though or 85-90% it seems.
2006-12-18 11:06 PM
in reply to: #627464

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

BbMoozer - 2006-12-18 10:36 PM Hey Jen-- I have a Polar HRM. I forgot the model - got a good deal on Ebay. It is a watch also. It does not have fancy stuff on it like lap info so I can't figure out my LT. (and frankly, not sure if I'd know what to do with it). I set it up with my zones based on my HR for age and usually shoot to train at 80/85%. My running is always higher though or 85-90% it seems.

I bought this book called Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot by John L.Parker.  It focuses mainly on running, but it breaks heart rate training down in a very easy way.  I've been using it for my base training the past few weeks and I've been feel pretty good.  In the next few weeks I'm going to introduce some hill work outs and tempo runs into my regimen.  80-85% is kind of high to always be shooting for.  You should have days that you alternate so you're working at different thresholds.  about 60-75% is the aerobic zones allowing your body to learn how to use fat for energy vs. glycogen.  You shouldn't be getting that burning achy feeling everytime you work out.   Do you give yourself any easy days? Rest days are training days too.  

Edited by JenBunn1e 2006-12-18 11:07 PM
2006-12-19 8:58 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: JenBunn1e's Group - FULL
well, I know my hr is lower when I swim. And mondays in the bike are lower rates. I think I'll have to learn more about this stuff to make it work better for me.

2006-12-20 11:21 AM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
What is everyone's workout goals for the rest of the week?
2006-12-20 11:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
AZ

Hi Jen,

Wed:  track workout

Thursday:  30-40 minute run

Friday: 20 mile bike

Saturday: 4 mile run

Sunday: PARTY TIME.

In between that, I have to finish my Christmas shopping and wrap the presents, finish decorating the tree, make tamales, paint my new bathroom, go to work, and hopefully get some sleep.  Then I'm off work next week.  wooo hoooo.  I'll be able to get lots of quality training in next week.

2006-12-20 12:18 PM
in reply to: #629073

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
AZchica - 2006-12-20 12:36 PM

Hi Jen,

Wed:  track workout

Thursday:  30-40 minute run

Friday: 20 mile bike

Saturday: 4 mile run

Sunday: PARTY TIME.

In between that, I have to finish my Christmas shopping and wrap the presents, finish decorating the tree, make tamales, paint my new bathroom, go to work, and hopefully get some sleep.  Then I'm off work next week.  wooo hoooo.  I'll be able to get lots of quality training in next week.

Wow thats a crazy amount of stuff youre gonna do.  Make tamales...that sounds yummy.  Considering you have all those things to do and your workout schedule thats fantastic!

2006-12-20 12:37 PM
in reply to: #629045

User image

Wed: track then some biking on the rollers in the evening.
Thur: swim ~50m
Fri: trail run ~50m
Sat: break
Sun: bike on rollers ~50m

I've just been winging it...gonna sign up with the silver and get going with a program...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JenBunn1e's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5