BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brett's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-12-15 5:26 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Brett's Group - FULL

Username (Real name): Brett (Brett), I think Ron and I are tied for the most unoriginal screen names on this board.

History/Background: TCU Alum where I majored in Computer Science.  Married w/ no kids.  Right now I'm living near Cincy supervising ROTC for the Air Force.

Training:  I've been doing triathlons for about 5 years now, although I've mixed it in with lots of other physical pursuits rather than focusing strictly on it.  I average 2-3 A races a year, all at the Sprint/Oly distances.  I'll probably suck it up and do a HIM this year to see what all the talk is about.  Like Ron I'm also big into lifting, but that's mostly to support my Rugby habit.  I've also tried adventure racing and will be trying to work a few more of those in this year as well.

Weight Loss:  As is my tradition, I'll drop 10-15lbs after the holidays to get back to my racing/playing weight.

Good luck all.

2006-12-15 11:37 PM
in reply to: #625427

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
Subject: RE: Brett's Group - OPEN

Brett-

Like to join your group.  The attraction was the original and clever screen name.  That and the comments you made about strength training...that is where I need the most help in advice and motivation.  Well, maybe the running and biking and swimming things as well....

My name is Jim.  I am a 46 year old Texan who moved to Northern California when I was 7.  Never got over the fact that kids can be so cruel to someone with an accent.  Anyway, I am a newbie of the highest order.  I joined BT in September after I signed up for my first sprint triathlon in May 2007.  I have always wanted to experience this type of racing (after watching the IM when I was much younger) but I am not much of a runner, or a swimmer or a biker....hence my hesitance.  I ran my first 3-mile organized race last Saturday and had a blast.  Ready for more.  I have signed up for a variety of 5K and a duathalon in February as training races for the May tri.  I am currently following the duathalon training program offered on BT and then plan to switch to one of the 12-week tri programs once i finish in February.  I took the TI workshop just before Thanksgiving and haven't gotten back in the pool since (which I find very weird).  Another thing I haven't been doing is strength training.  Here is where i need some help.  I just know that I would be much better off, training wise and weight wise if I had a stronger core and more muscle mass.  advice on weight training routines and MOST IMPORTANTLY gentle to harsh motivational input to help me accomplish my goal of making strength training a regular part of my routine would be most appreciated.

As for weight, it has been a struggle for the past 25 years.  I love to eat.  I am 5'7" and at my top weight on August 15, 2006 I was 211.6.  Scared me to death.  I am now at 190.4 and have lost weight by regular exercise (supported by the BT training programs) and slowly moving to a better diet.

I am ex-married with two great kids (9 and 13-year old girls) and work as a geologist in the environmental field.  That's me in a nutshell.

Thanks in advance if you choose to team up.  BTW, I am pretty good with constructive criticism, so don't be afraid to tell me the cold hard truth.

Jim 

2006-12-16 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Hello,

I think this may be the group for me as I like to lift weights and do tri's. I'm 31, married, two kids (Girls 9&6). I decided to I needed to lose some weight and joined a gym on April 1st 2006, weighed in at 250lbs. Decided to run my first road race in June 5K. Went with a buddy to watch him compete in an Olympic Triathlon. Was extremely bored waiting for him and told him at the end that if I ever came to another tri, I would have to compete in it. Well, my bluff got called and I got bitten by the bug. I ended up competing in 3 sprint distance tri's and a number of road races including a 10K.

Weight lifting has been a huge part of my training and losing weight. I am currently around 186lbs- 5'11". Went the past 2 weeks to the BodPod machine to get my bodyfat % checked. Actually had the test done 4 times with the results being 5.3% 5.6% 5% and 3.5%. I'm not convinced. I would put myself around 10-12% as well as would the 2 trainers at my gym.

My diet has consisted of mostly the Mens Health abs diet. My fitday log is located here: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=ckinsey42

I recently bought a cheaper HRM and am learning how to use it.

Next year will be a big year for me and my training partner, who is as new as I am. Plan is to start season in Indianapolis at the 1/2 marathon. Complete our first Olympic distance in July, our first 1/2 ironman at the Pigman in August, and our first marathon in Chicago in October. After we see how these go, maybe a late summer of 2008 full ironman.
2006-12-17 8:16 PM

User image

Elite

Welcome to my first two members in what I'm sure if nothing else will be the physically strongest mentor-group.  Sounds like both of you are off to good starts (and after my own heart in the strength training department).

Currently I'm on the road and won't be on quite as often as I like, but I'll be back in force right after the new year and we'll get going like gangbusters then.  For now, make sure you're starting to get in the habit of logging all your physical activities (I've been terrible about it over the last month or so since it's the off season) so that we can cheer on/harass each other as necessary.

I'll try and shoot you each PMs in the next week to get better aquainted.  Welcome again and I'm looking forward to an exciting, productive year.

bts 

2006-12-18 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY

As seems to be the trend here, the weight lifting aspect of this group caught my attention. Anyway, here's a little bit about me:

As you might imagine, my name is Dan. I'm 27 years old, married with a black lab and no kids (yet). About a year ago, on a routine doctor's appointment (one I had put off for about 5 years), I found out my blood pressure was in the higher region, as was my weight - I was about 260lbs then. Not too high to be of super concern, but high enough that the doc wanted me to pay attention to it. Given my family's propensity for heart disease, I decided to do something about it. I started running and biking and found that I really liked it. Just a little filler here - I grew up playing football, a lineman infact. So, I'm no stranger to weightlifting. Actually, I've been lifting in some form or another for the last 12 years or so. Up until about a year ago (when I got the news about my blood pressure), I was really big into powerlifting. I was benching 300+, squatting in the 400s and deadlifting almost 500. And, I was eating accordingly - tons of protein, green-leafy vegetables, low-GI carbs...the whole nine yards. I put on 20 lbs of muscle in roughly a two year span while maintaining about a 12% BF level.

Long story short, after my visitit to the doc, I cut down on the heavy lifting, started eating a bit cleaner (less red meat, less sodium, a bit higher carb intake for my training regime needs) and I trained to the point where I ran a 5K and a off-road duathlon last spring. I started a new job in May and that, along with some knee issues made me get off my running/biking kick. I have, however, been hitting the gym pretty regularly (2-3x per week) with some coworkers. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you want to look at it, I've gotten back into that heavy lifting mentality. My diet, however, has gone into the gutter as I've been using the excuse that I'm too busy with "life." I really need to get my butt back in gear and start doing more cardio work as well as eating better.

My current stats are:

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 260 lbs (yep, I crept back up there, but I'm not nearly as 'fat' as I was before - there's more muscle here now)

I'm pretty consistent at logging here and have found that I work best when I have to be accountable to someone. My goals are to get back down to the 225lbs range and to compete in a few 5K races this coming year. I might try and do that off-road race again that I did last year, however, that was a real ballbuster (excuse my French). I'm moving to an area that is more prone to having races, so I'll be better off!

I'm closing on a new home this Friday and moving during Christmas week, so I intend to start back on my road to fitness the first week of the New Year. I look forward to helping this working within this group!  Also, you'll notice that I do a few off-par activities...I'm a huge snowboarder and surfer (and tend to log my time doing those activities) and have also been getting more into geocaching (www.geocaching.com), so my walking/hiking times may start to rise...

Edited by Big Dan 2006-12-18 3:30 PM
2006-12-20 1:17 PM

User image

Brett,

Love to join your group. I'm previously married, no single just moved to Indy with no kids. I was a pole vaulter in college and have coached the pole vault to. Most of my good friends are very athletic, 3 of which run marathons on a regular basis. Me being a little wild (see pole vault) didn't see much excitment in marathons, so I though tri's would fill my need for excitement. I plan on running my first sprint in late april and then an olympic shortly after that. I don't lift much, becuase I put on way to much weight when I do. I do, pole vualt, rock climb, and wakeboard/ski and in the winter, snowboard a bit.

Thanks for your time, right now, I'm not sure how much time I'll have to get "real" workouts in while it's cold and I adapt to the larger city. Though after I get back from my new years snowbaording trip, I'll be gun ho!!!!!

Collin (cgayde)

Edited by cgayde 2006-12-20 1:17 PM

2006-12-20 2:37 PM

New user

Hello Brett,
I would like to join your group.

I was a distance runner in high school and sadly can say it's been over 10 years for any serious training for competion. I currently go to the gym and work out on the track and machines, not much swimming. I have for the past several months been reading and thinking of my first tri, I will be commiting to the training needed first of the year.

I used to bike ride (pre driver license) up to 20+ miles for fun on a typical 10 speed. I recently turned 37 and feels like old man disease is creeping in. I am currently 5'6" and 210lbs.
My legs are a strong feature, regular walking at work and stair master at the gym. upper body more soft and very low time before becoming winded.....when I worked in a factory I wieghed 170 and got a driving job and the wieght poured on upto 225, before the holidays I was down to about. Poor eating habits and too much loafing.

I would like to get my wieght near 180 give or take for added muscle wieght over fat, I used to average 6 minute mile and would like to return there for longer distances. To improve my swimming skills to complete a full tri would be awsome, even If I only compete in a sprint this year.

Strength training advice and encouragement is greatly welcomed as currently work out to keep current, but get distacted easily.

Michigan cold season is coming and this would be great to emerge in the spring more powerful and with a new shape (even though "round" is a shape) .
2006-12-20 2:39 PM

New user

Oops, for got to say who I was, busy correcting my spelling

thanks

Terry
2006-12-20 2:48 PM

User image

New user

Brett,

I'd like to join your group if I may. My name's Ryan. I live near Cincy, and I'm married w/ 2.25 kids (that's one kid on the way, not a kid missing two arms and a leg). I also have a brother-in-law who's heavily involved with the Cincinnati Kelts rugby club, so there's a rugby connection. I currently work in engineering.

I've never competed in a triathlon, but I plan to next year. In High School I played 4 years of varsity basketball and ran cross-country 2 years. Since then (it's been 10 years), I've not done much of anything from a athletics standpoint. In the last 4 months I've started a weightlifting regimen and chopped off 20 lbs (down to 185 lbs). My biggest hurdle is finding time & motivation for endurance training. Besides warmup, I probably only run a couple of miles a week. Also, my budget is very limited.

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 185

I don't see a lot of excitement in marathons either, other than the T-shirt and bragging rights (which just might be enough for me to give it a try). The thought of a tri seems really cool, and adventure racing sounds awesome. I have access to an indoor pool, but it's hard to fit in some swimming (not to mention I'm not the best swimmer - little endurance)... Especially since I'll be starting grad school in Jan. on top of the full-time career and family. I'm sure this is nothing new to plenty of other people, but I struggle with finding time.

I started off on a training logging kick back in September, but haven't posted anything since. I should be able to get back into the routine fairly easily, though. Especially with this new mentor program. Sounds fun.

Ryan

Edited by RynoMc 2007-01-03 7:52 AM
2006-12-20 2:53 PM

User image

New user

Oops. Looks like Terry and I were writing at the same time. He hit "submit" before I did, so does that mean I'm out? I count six including myself.
2006-12-21 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Hey everyone, Jim here....

Looking for a good starting strength program to build core and extremities.  Is it possible to do the core thing without doing crunches or sit ups or any of those awful exercises that work your gut? (just kidding).  Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer was trying to get into shape so he had one of his kids hold a donut at the top of his sit-up motion...do a sit-up, take a bite, fall back to the floor.  My kind of core training but with pizza instead.....ummmm, pizza.

Feedback welcome and encouraged!

2006-12-21 10:12 AM

User image

chattanooga
I would like to join the group. I started exercising about 2 years ago and tried to start running some then started entering events and improving. I then started doing sprint tri's this past year. I have the bug and would like to work up to a HIM by next fall. I try to run a couple of times a week, I joined a master's swim class on 2 nights a week, and I hope to get back on a bicycle in the spring and start training. I love to run, and now swimming has become my next favorite sport. I do need to get started at the gym for strength training. That is definately on my to do list for the upcoming year. I am just intimidated by the weight lifters. I am currently training to do 2 trail runs in Febuary so hopefully I can get through those. I really want to gear up this next year and try to improve on all three disciplines of triathlons. I am really weak on cycling so I am looking for help and encouragement there.
2006-12-21 11:12 AM

User image

If you've got the room, I'd like to join yer group.  Me: 36 yr old dude, 165lbs, very active.  Been athletic all my life but have within the past 4 or 5 years I've turned it up quite a bit and feel that I'm in the best shape of my life.  I play volleyball and do yoga as well as lifting and getting back to tris  [the ex got me into them after she did the Danskin, did 3 the summer of '05].

Goals:

• bulk up a bit [used to lift weights a lot but haven't been to the gym in a year to lift]
  • gain some weight
  • complete several sprints this summer finishing with an oly
  • use this forum as peer pressure motivation to get my lazy butt up and running

Weaknesses:

• the run

Thanks, Adam

2006-12-21 2:35 PM
in reply to: #630265

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY
gaiaserver - 2006-12-21 10:57 AM

Hey everyone, Jim here....

Looking for a good starting strength program to build core and extremities. Is it possible to do the core thing without doing crunches or sit ups or any of those awful exercises that work your gut? (just kidding). Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer was trying to get into shape so he had one of his kids hold a donut at the top of his sit-up motion...do a sit-up, take a bite, fall back to the floor. My kind of core training but with pizza instead.....ummmm, pizza.

Feedback welcome and encouraged!

Jim, I'm not quite sure if you are looking for a total workout or just a core workout. I'll go with the former as I'm sure a complete workout program doesn't hurt. Whenever I've been out of the gym for a while, I like to start with a 3-day/week program that I use for about 4 weeks. Basically, it goes like this:

Day 1 (Monday) - Push Day
Bench Press - 15, 12, 10, 8 (that's 15 reps in the 1st set, 12 reps in the 2nd set, etc...)
Incline Bench - 15, 12, 10
Cable Crossovers or Pec Deck - 15, 12, 10
Arnold Presses - 12, 10, 8
Front Raises - 12, 10, 8 --- I alternate these on a weekly basis with Side Raises
Tricep Rope Pushdowns - 15, 12, 10
Overhead Extensions - 15, 12, 10

Day 2 (Wednesday) - Pull Day
WG Pulldowns (or WG Pull-ups) - 15, 12, 10, 8
Seated Rows (handle type can vary) - 12, 10, 8
Deadlifts or Hyperextensions - 12, 10, 8
Standing Alternating DB Curls - 12, 10, 8
Preacher BB Curls - 12, 10, 8
Shrugs - 15, 12, 10 (personal preference)

Day 3 (Friday) - Legs
Squats - 15, 12, 10, 8
Leg Extension / Leg Curl Superset - 15, 12, 10
Calf Raises - 20, 20, 20, 20 (toes straight, in, out, straight)
Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 15, 12, 10

As far as abs go, I try to treat them as vegetable meaning that I try to use them in warm-ups (I have not been doing this lately, however). I'll usually walk on the treadmill or bike for 10 minutes and then do 3-5 different ab exercises making sure I hit my upper, lower, middle abs and my obliques.

If you've got any questions, let me know. You'll notice my rep scheme is pretty high...like I mentioned, it's a workout I use when I'm getting back into things. Sometimes I'll bring the reps down and the weight up or vice-versa.

2006-12-21 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
Hey Brett, Would like to join if possible, I think we're all submitting at once so let me know if I make the cut. Thanks Chris
2006-12-21 6:04 PM

User image

New user

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Hi Brett -

I decided I wanted to do a triathlon about 16 weeks ago, and changed my training program accordingly.

I'm 26, male, 215pounds, 6'4" and 13% Body Fat.

I currently lift weights 4 nights a week, and alternate swim/run/bike all week with a rest day on Sunday.

My run time is sort of slow, about 9min/mile but about 11min/mile after bricks.
Swim time is 17min for 1/2 mile
Bike time is around 25mile/10 mile.

My training heartrate using Maffetone Method is around 155beats/min with time trials running 170b/m

Avg Daily Caloric intake is 2,600 with 40%protein, 40%carbs, 20% fat.

Love to join your group if possible!
Garrett

2006-12-22 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio

Well poo, I hope I am not too late but I think I might be.  Just in case I will give it a shot.  I too was attracted by the weightlifting and the Cincy Connection.  In case Brett is making exceptions I will give my info and wait to hear back.

I am 35 years old and completing my first full year of tri's.  I did 4 tri's this year, 1 du, and three run races.  I have been a BT member for a little over a year now.  In the past 19 months I have dropped 77 pounds and am alsways working towards better health.  I do some kind of workout 6 days a week and sometimes 7.  This will vary between weights, bike, run, swim, or other cardio exercise.  I feel like crap if I do not do something in a day and have to force myself to take days off.  My backgroud has been in physical sports and mainly football.  I played at Ohio State and was an offensive lineman.  So the transition to endurance sports has been tough, educational, humbling, and incredible all at the same time.  I live on the north side of Cincy so I felt like this group would be a natural fit since we could meet up at a few races and support each other.  Looking forward to hearing back, and if I do nto make it then that is the brakes for being slow on the uptake. 

Good luck to all and have a great holiday.

2006-12-22 10:55 PM
in reply to: #630777

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Jim, I'm not quite sure if you are looking for a total workout or just a core workout. I'll go with the former as I'm sure a complete workout program doesn't hurt. Whenever I've been out of the gym for a while, I like to start with a 3-day/week program that I use for about 4 weeks. Basically, it goes like this:

Day 1 (Monday) - Push Day
Bench Press - 15, 12, 10, 8 (that's 15 reps in the 1st set, 12 reps in the 2nd set, etc...)
Incline Bench - 15, 12, 10
Cable Crossovers or Pec Deck - 15, 12, 10
Arnold Presses - 12, 10, 8
Front Raises - 12, 10, 8 --- I alternate these on a weekly basis with Side Raises
Tricep Rope Pushdowns - 15, 12, 10
Overhead Extensions - 15, 12, 10

Day 2 (Wednesday) - Pull Day
WG Pulldowns (or WG Pull-ups) - 15, 12, 10, 8
Seated Rows (handle type can vary) - 12, 10, 8
Deadlifts or Hyperextensions - 12, 10, 8
Standing Alternating DB Curls - 12, 10, 8
Preacher BB Curls - 12, 10, 8
Shrugs - 15, 12, 10 (personal preference)

Day 3 (Friday) - Legs
Squats - 15, 12, 10, 8
Leg Extension / Leg Curl Superset - 15, 12, 10
Calf Raises - 20, 20, 20, 20 (toes straight, in, out, straight)
Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 15, 12, 10

As far as abs go, I try to treat them as vegetable meaning that I try to use them in warm-ups (I have not been doing this lately, however). I'll usually walk on the treadmill or bike for 10 minutes and then do 3-5 different ab exercises making sure I hit my upper, lower, middle abs and my obliques.

If you've got any questions, let me know. You'll notice my rep scheme is pretty high...like I mentioned, it's a workout I use when I'm getting back into things. Sometimes I'll bring the reps down and the weight up or vice-versa.

Big Dan-

Thanks!  Where can I get some info on what some of these exercises look like.  Never heard of some but thought I might just google them and see what I get. 

2006-12-23 1:36 PM
in reply to: #632166

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
Tooo many people here so I found a different group. Good luck to you all. Chris
2006-12-24 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: RE: Brett's Group - FULL
Wow, this is a big group, but I think we can manage. I think we can all help each other out. Please update and keep track of your logs as this will help us help each other. Keep up the good work!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Chris
2006-12-24 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
So do we wait and hear if we made the cut, or just hope that we sit down at the cool lunch table and not get booted out?

2006-12-24 9:00 PM
in reply to: #632734

User image

Champion
Gold member

I actually changed the group status to 'full' as there has been a lot of action here and I noticed that he posted earlier that he won't be on a lot till the new year.  If he wants to take everyone, that's totally fine.

"Currently I'm on the road and won't be on quite as often as I like, but I'll be back in force right after the new year and we'll get going like gangbusters then." - Brett

2006-12-26 5:43 PM

User image

Elite

Wow, this got full in a hurry.  Anyone who got in before Ron posted I'll be happy to take on and support to the fullest. 

I'm just popped my head in (I'm at the in-laws), but I'll be back come this weekend to help with NY resolutions and starting to wind down the off-season (depending on the latitude you're at).

Remember, start putting your workouts in the logs to get in that habit.

bts

2006-12-27 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Okay group-

I am going to implement Big Dan's push-pull-legs routine starting today.  Being a Wednesday, I assume that starting in the middle is no big deal.  I give everyone permission to glance at my log tomorrow and give me total royal sh*t if there isn 't a log for strength training today.

Cheers!

Jim

2006-12-27 12:28 PM
in reply to: #632166

User image

New user

gaiaserver - 2006-12-22 11:55 PM

Big Dan-

Thanks!  Where can I get some info on what some of these exercises look like.  Never heard of some but thought I might just google them and see what I get. 

Jim,

I love your enthusiasm at starting a weight program. Big Dan sounds like he's had plenty of experience w/ weight training and his workout is pretty innovative. I'll share a little of my workout philosophy and not include specifics such as particular exercises, reps/weights, etc. This is a paradigm that I've picked up through High School sports training and reading fitness books & articles, as well as my own experiences.

1) The first and most important thing to any exercise is FORM. I can't stress this enough. Work on form. Concentrate on form. Devote yourself to mastering proper form. Performing an exercise incorrectly is not only dangerous to muscles, ligaments, tendons & joints - it's not very effective. Concentrate on maintaining a smooth motion for the entire length of EACH rep. Don't go fast. You'll find that you may have to reduce your weight in lieu of better form. This is correct weight training. Sure, you could stack on more weight and throw it around, but it's not benefitting you. Maintain a smooth range of motion so that each part of the muscle's contraction feels the same force of resistance. This is important. Once your muscles develop a memory of the proper form it comes naturally. But you must make yourself do it.

2) The first two weeks of any sort of training is the adaptation phase. YOU WILL BE SORE and you shouldn't expect too much in terms of results during this time. After this period, the body becomes adapted to training and you can start piling on the weight and/or reps. The soreness lets up (thank god) and you can comfortably start to push yourself. Once you get past this first stage, weight training gets much more rewarding and satisfying. Stick with it.

3) Strength training requires a warm-up. 5-10 minutes to bring up the heart rate and then a set of high reps / light weight of an exercise that isolates the muscles you will be working. You have to recruit the muscles and warm them with blood supply before they can respond to training (removing lactic acid, staying oxygenated, etc.). For example, in a chest workout I do a 5-min warmup then one set of bench presses at 20-25 reps with low weight - this can be just the bar itself! Skipping your warmup is a guaranteed ticket to soreness, and could lead to injury. This is just like any training.

4) For best results, perform each set to muscle failure. Muscle failure is defined as the point in which you can no longer perform the exercies with proper form. You'll find yourself throwing up the weight so that momentum carries it, or struggling to complete a rep. You need to be able to do 8-12 reps per set for strength training. If you can't do 8 before failure, you need to swallow your pride and take some weight off. If you easily do 12, you're taking it too easy - you need to try more weight. Big Dan does as many as 15 reps at the start of each exercise. Dropping weights and upping reps or vice versa can give you different results. Higher reps burns more calories and lead to better endurance / quicker recovery. Lower reps w/ high weight yields bigger and stronger muscles. Bodybuilders do a high number of sets of 4-6 reps with ridiculous amounts of weight and long rest between sets. Great for bulking up, but not the best for triathletes. A balanced strength training approach is 8-12 reps.

5) Finish each workout with a cool-down and stretch the muscles you worked out. Yes, you can stretch your biceps. Within one hour of weight training, you also need to replenish your fuel supply. Eat something with carbs and protein. If you are in to protein supplements, this is the absolute BEST time to take it. Whey is a lousy general source for protein because it quickly metabolizes - it hits the blood stream quick and is out quick; it doesn't stick around unless your body really needs it. But, whey protein is phenomenal after a strength workout because it is so quick and your body really needs it now. It gets protein into the blood and to the muscles for a quick recovery. I've found that I am a lot less sore when I take a whey protein shake immediately after weight training. One word of caution: whey has more cholesterol than one might like. Supplement discussion is a whole other topic that has as many philosophies as there are people.

6) Muscles need at least 1 day for recovery and rebuilding. 2 is better. This is the time that microscopic tears are repaired and your body evolves to compensate for this new strain it has felt by adding mass to muscle fibers. Don't work the same muscle group two days in a row. You can weight train consecutive days - just work different muscles.

7) The first exercise you do is the one that will get the most benefit. If you start the workout with a bench press, your bench press will get the most benefit. Pretty simple.

Knowing all that, here's what I do:

The body is divided into 6 major muscle groups:
Chest, back, legs, shoulders, biceps, and triceps.
When I work out, I stick to 2 groups per workout; normally one main group and one lesser group. When I say "main" I mean chest, back & legs, while "lesser" refers to biceps and triceps. Shoulders are kinda iffy in where they fall - most people will tell you that they're "main" but I treat them as "lesser" and typically work them in with a leg workout. When going through your workout, start with the "main" group. Think of it as starting in the middle (trunk) and working you way out. You can't get in a good set of bench press if your triceps are already exhausted.

I have two modes of thought when pairing muscle groups: Work either complementary or non-copmlementary groups. By complementary groups, think of ones that support each other through various exercises. For example, the bench press is a chest exercise, but your triceps play a big role as well. So, chest and triceps are complementary groups. Likewise, back and biceps are complementary - picture rowing. When working complementary groups, your recovery is easier and the next-day workout is more smooth. For example, you're not trying to do a bench press with sore triceps you worked out yesterday.
The idea behind working non-complementary groups together, such as chest & biceps, is that I can work in a set of one while resting between sets of another. In other words, I can do a set of bench press, jump in to bicep curls while resting my chest, head back to the bench press while resting my biceps, and back and forth. Really, the only way this helps me is by cutting down on my workout time. My "rest" between sets is used more efficiently. I do this when time is getting to be an issue.
So I come up with three complementary muscle group workouts:
1-Chest & Triceps
2-Back & Biceps
3-Shoulders & Legs
Or three non-complementary muscle group workouts:
1-Chest & Biceps
2-Back & Triceps
3-Shoulders & Legs
And alternative is to utilize two workouts that incorporate three groups each:
1-Chest, Triceps & Shoulders
2-Back, Biceps & Legs
A lot of people use the two-workout method, but it's not for me. It takes too long and it's a lot of muscle work & recovery. You really need to have plenty of carbs in your system to work three muscle groups in one workout, and make sure you follow up with plenty of carbs and protein.

Try to work out at least three times per week. MWF is an easy assignment, and doesn't get in the way of anyone's "long" days on the weekend for running/swimming/cycling. Six times a week is the absolute max anyone should devote to strength training.

When choosing exercies for my workout, I pick one big exercies for each group and do it first with lower reps (6-8) and more sets (4). Then I do two smaller exercises with higher reps (10-12) and less sets. So a typical chest & triceps exercise might look like this:
warmup 5-min
25 reps bench press, very light weight
Bench press 4X6
Incline Flys 3X10
Pec Deck 3X10
25 reps skull crushers, very light weight
Skull crushers 4X6
Tricep rope push-downs 3X10
Kickbacks 3X10
Cool-down & stretch
Protein shake containing whey.

Once you settle into a groove, your body becomes accustomed to the exercises and you get a diminished return on your workout. Make sure you shake it up with different exercises if you get too comfortable. I stick with 2 workouts (3 exercises each) for each muscle group and alternate them.
It's also nice to throw in a pyramid workout every now and then - like every couple of weeks once you're in a good routine. A pyramid workout is where you do sets of increasing weight then decreasing weight. Your reps will go down then up accordingly. What this looks like is (the weights are fictitious, for illustration purposes only):
15 reps, 20 lbs
10 reps, 40 lbs
5 reps, 60 lbs
5 reps, 60 lbs
10 reps, 40 lbs
15 reps, 20 lbs
All of the same exercise. You won't be able to do more than two exercises per muscle group - and you won't need to. If you haven't improved in a while, give that a try. Talk about a shock to the muscles!

So that's it! Arm yourself with 3 exercises per muscle group and design your own workout based on your fitness goals. I'd be happy to give suggestions, or exercises can be found in this website or others. Short video clips are best, as they illustrate proper form, which is criticial!!!!!

Such is the philosophy of Ryan.
Sorry for the ridiculously long post - maybe it belongs with the aritcles
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brett's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3