of 3

2006-12-27 12:53 PM
in reply to: #630265

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Brett's Group - OPEN
gaiaserver - 2006-12-21 10:57 AM

Hey everyone, Jim here....

Looking for a good starting strength program to build core and extremities.  Is it possible to do the core thing without doing crunches or sit ups or any of those awful exercises that work your gut? (just kidding).  Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer was trying to get into shape so he had one of his kids hold a donut at the top of his sit-up motion...do a sit-up, take a bite, fall back to the floor.  My kind of core training but with pizza instead.....ummmm, pizza.

Feedback welcome and encouraged!

Jim,

I hate abs. I despise working my core. You can do them either on the front end before your workout, or on the back end after the workout. But I like to throw them in the middle.
In order to fool myself into forgetting about doing abs, I squeeze them in between sets of my weight training. This cuts down on time, too. While I'm resting in between sets of bench press, I'll do some crunches, or between preacher curls I'll do some flutter kicks.
I think it also helps to have plenty of exercises to choose from. I'll name a few and you can look them up if you like:
crunches, side crunches, oblique crunches, reverse crunches, flutter kicks, good morning darlings, hip thrusts, corkscrews, russian twists, iron cross, skydivers
If you can't find them I'll try to describe them.

Watch out for the traditional situps - they're not good for the 'ol back. They're not bad to throw in there, just don't overdo it.
Also make sure you strengthen your lower back, too with things like deadlifts or supermans. Incorporate these into your back workout.
Make sure you work the entire abdomen: upper, lower, and obliques. Usually anything where you lift your legs is lower, lifting your shoulders & head is upper, and obliques are side-to-side.
Abs, like any muscle require a recovery period. They recover more quickly than other muscle groups, so it's good to do them every other day. Sometimes you can do them 2 days in a row, but I wouldn't advise any more than that.

There are TONS of core workouts with those swiss balls. I've never tried them, but those oversized beach balls are all over the place now. I've also been told that you can do your seated weight exercises on a swiss ball rather than a bench and it forces you to recruit more core muscles to stabilize yourself - I've never tried it, though and I wouldn't try it without consulting with someone who has.

Good Luck!
Ryan

2006-12-27 5:12 PM
in reply to: #625427

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Brett's Group - FULL

I'm all for Big Dan's 3-a-week lift setup, I use a very similar layout and depending on time I'll often drift into the 2 a week (upper body one day, lower the other) if time doesn't allow for the three. 

One thing I'd consider is switching the leg day to Wednesday.  With the weekends being traditionally when you get a chance for your long bike and/or run I find it tough to fully get into a squat workout knowing I've got my main run workout the next day.

2006-12-27 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Ryan-

Thanks for taking the time to share.  I will take what you have offered as well as Dan's and come up with something that "feels" right for me.  I will probably share it back with the group for input.

Brett-

Good idea about the legs in the middle.  Just the thought of getting on the bike for a long session after a prior days squat routine doesn't sound good. 

2006-12-28 7:53 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY

Hey All -

Sorry I haven't checked in here for a few days.  Busy as sin moving into a new house, traveling for Christmas, and getting over a nasty stomach bug that hit both me and my wife.  Anyways...

Jim - Sorry I didn't see your post inquiring about exercises.  I don't have time to search for it right now, but there is a website that gives a breakdown of almost every lift you can imagine.  Also, you are right - Googling them should get your just about anything you need.  Also, feel free to message me here or PM me with any questions. 

Ryan - GREAT info in those posts.  I scanned them quickly while waiting for some paint to dry.  I'll definitely be re-reading them soon.

Brett - Good call with moving the leg day to Wednesday.  I guess I still have that bodybuilder/powerlifter mentality of giving yourself the most rest time (weekend) after legs.

I'm really excited to learn/grow with this group!  I won't be able to help much with run/bike/swim support so I look forward to helping out with strength-training questions as well as anything else that may come up.

I'll be in and out (more out than in) until the New Year.  Hope everyone has had a Happy Holiday Season so far and enjoys their New Year!

Dan

2006-12-28 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Here's a good site to see exercises demonstrated.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
2006-12-29 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
Question:  I did my legs/shoulders routine on Wednesday and notice that my biceps and triceps started getting sore last night.  Is that a function of not doing the exercises improperly or just that there isn't true isolation of the shoulders on the exercises?  My sense is the later and it is probably a stupid question, but I thought I would ask.  Doing back and biceps today.

2006-12-29 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Chris-

Awesome site!  I love how they break down the exercises in such detail based on muscles inside a major group.  Thanks! 

2006-12-29 7:57 PM
in reply to: #636409

User image

Elite

gaiaserver - 2006-12-29 8:58 AM Question:  I did my legs/shoulders routine on Wednesday and notice that my biceps and triceps started getting sore last night.  Is that a function of not doing the exercises improperly or just that there isn't true isolation of the shoulders on the exercises?  My sense is the later and it is probably a stupid question, but I thought I would ask.  Doing back and biceps today.

What were the shoulder exercises?  There isn't a lot of stuff you can do with the shoulders that completely isolates them, so it's not uncommon to feel some lingering effects.  Although if they're more sore than your shoulders then you might want to take a hard look at your form.

bts

2007-01-01 8:30 PM

User image

Elite

Alrighty, Happy New Year all... time for the biggest, strongest BT group to fire up the reactors.  Make sure you are deciding on a plan either from this board or a book  or wherever and getting started.  Go ahead and post an overview of your plan in your goals in your logs (if you have questions about that let me know).  Make sure you start logging as well.

More soon,

bts 

2007-01-02 8:17 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY
Done and done!  Looking forward to my training today!
2007-01-05 8:50 AM

User image

New user

Well, I've logged three days in a row. Off to a good start so far. I'm feeling good about keeping it up.
Since I'm only a free member, I don't think I have access to plan overview and goals (unless I just don't see it - let me know if I'm overlooking it). So I'll post my plan here:
M: run
T: strength
W: run - speed work, strength
R: strength
F: run
Sa: run - long day
I need to add some swim and bike days if I'm serious about triathlons - which I like to think I am.

I haven't put together any race goals except one: the Flying Pig Marathon on May 6. More to follow, of course. Like to keep it local, but if I'm feeling good about my progress, I'll start to explore those within driving distance. There are usually plenty of 5k races nearby, and an occasional tri. I'm planning to keep my eyes peeled and play it by ear.

2007-01-05 9:09 AM

User image

New user

By the way, only the half-marathon is listed for the Flying Pig in the Race Nexus. Can anyone tell me how I add the full marathon? Also, there is a mini-marthon in March I want to add - how do I do it?

Edited by RynoMc 2007-01-10 8:57 AM
2007-01-07 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Hey all,

Hope everyone's new year is going well. I have started a new lifting (bulking) workout schedule. Iknow, I know, I don't need to bulk for tri's, but I am trying to shed some bodyfat and will cut in the spring.

How is everyone doing with their New Year Resolutions? My big one was to get back into the pool. Well...I've been there once, so I need to work on that.

Keep up the Good Work!!!

Chris
2007-01-08 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
SAdly I do nto have a plan per se, but I am tring to get in 1-2 hours of running and biking per week and my workouts on top of that.  The bummer is I do nto ahev access to a pool in the winter which means I have to start all over in the spring when the pool opens back up.  I am also logging nutrition as I am trying to get into the fat burn mode.  Not so much worried about losing weight as I am losing BF.  The more I read the more I am unsure on what P/C/F % I should be eating.  This si where I am really struggling, but I hope to come ot a decision pretty soon.  Workouts are going well and strength is coming along nicely.  Cardio is good as I feel better after almost every workout.  I have to force myself to take rest days, I just kind of go with how my body feels.  If I am tired I go witha  rest day.  All else is good.
2007-01-08 1:05 PM
in reply to: #646232

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
buckeye66 - 2007-01-08 11:49 AM

Not so much worried about losing weight as I am losing BF.  The more I read the more I am unsure on what P/C/F % I should be eating.  This si where I am really struggling, but I hope to come ot a decision pretty soon. 

Check out this site and message board thread, especially "So you want to lose fat" and "Clean Eating"

http://forums.menshealth.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/855109121/m/1561087...

These, along with http://www.fitday.com have helped me greatly.

Rest Days?? I try to force myself to take a rest day here or there, but am not often sucessful.

Chris

Oh, yeah and Go Gators!!! (I'm a Bama Fan, so have to cheer for the SEC)

Edited by CKinsey 2007-01-08 1:07 PM
2007-01-09 8:38 AM

User image

chattanooga
I feel like I am off to a good start-Mostly swimming for me and I am trying to throw some running in there. I will try to do weights on Wednesdays in between my run days. I have been logging each day that I have an activity. Saturdays are my off days. I have some endurance events I am signed up for: 50K trail runs in Febuary, a road marathon in March, and then a bike century in early May, then it is the start of triathlon season-mostly sprints, two Oly distance, and then try my best to do a HIM in September. I have a goal of doing an Ironman next year-hopefully if I can fit in all the training.
Good game last night! Sorry for you Buckeyes fans. Go SEC!!

2007-01-12 9:46 AM

User image

Elite

Anyone who hasn't checked in lately go ahead and sound off.  Also, make sure you're doing some inspiring in your group-mates logs.  Nothing helps the motivation like knowing lots of people are watching you. 

And let us know if you feel your motivation waning so we can turn up the heat on you.

bts

2007-01-12 9:58 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY
I've been in Vermont earlier this week and then hitting the pavement trying to find a new job...as well as getting the new house situated.  Not a lot of time for training.  I'm re-upping my plans to start fresh on Sunday though.  Wish me luck.  I'll be sure to check in on y'all either today or tomorrow.
2007-01-12 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Hunting this weekend, and have a sick 6 year old, but will find some time for training. Weight is back down some after holidays.

Looking forward to races in the Spring.

Keep it up everyone.

Good luck on the job hunt Big Dan.

Chris
2007-01-16 7:27 AM

User image

Elite

@Big Dan, good luck on the job hunt!

@Everyone, everything going well?  Staying on top of the workouts?

bts

2007-01-16 7:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Got in the pool 3 times last week!!! Hopefully this continues. Biking on the trainer is going well as is the strength training, really seeing some results and gains already. Didn't get outside to run alot last week as the weather was not condusive and I like to do my "long" runs outside. 109 days until my first 1/2 marathon. Can't wait.

Chris

2007-01-16 9:28 AM

User image

New user

If no one is familiar with this link, check it out!
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
It's the single most super-cool distance calculator. You zoom in to your area, hit "start recording" and double-click your starting point and other points thereafter (like bends in the road, side streets, etc), following your training route. It calculates the total distance and will even display elevation.
I'm sure it has its limitations, but it beats driving your route and checking the odometer!
2007-01-16 9:45 AM

User image

Happy New Year all.

Started out with a Beginner Sprint program as I felt like I was in pretty good shape and could handle it. Turns out I could, so I bumped my program to an Intermediate program... Um, it's a LOT harder! lol I'm doing pretty good with it tho... It's just a matter of getting into the habit of getting up and working out in the morning so I have my time later! The pool has been kind to me [1800m the 3rd time in the pool in a year!]. Need to run more. More. More.

A small plug for the Silver programs; I think they're great! I like that they're not just run 35m, bike 40m etc. etc. but rather actual specific drills, rates, distances etc. I think it's going to help me quite a bit.

Adam

2007-01-17 12:32 PM

User image

Subject: Swim Question

I have a long swim day coming on Friday and I have a question about rests. The workout is as follows:

Long day -
wu: 200swim, 200kick, 200swim
main: 2 x 750, RPE 3, even pace on both
cd: 4 x 50, each slower than last

My question: What's my break between the two main sets of 750? If there's no break, why is it not just a 1500?

Thanks,

Adam

2007-01-18 11:16 AM

User image

chattanooga
You should have a time goal on your sets-say 2:30 for a 100, so if you complete a 100 set in 2:15 then that gives you 15 seconds of rest inbetween each set of 100. Or if you are doing 200's on the 5, that means you have 5 minutes to do a 200 then you rest for the remainder before starting your next set of 200.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brett's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3