Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by JeepFleeb 2006-12-16 9:00 PM

2006-12-15 9:31 PM
in reply to: #625429

Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's Group - OPEN
Hey,
I just joined here about a week ago.
I by the end of next year I will finish a tri or a duathalon. I dont want to finish I want to place.
Thats one of the reasons I chose you sound competitive like me.

Right now five days of the week I swim on my schools team, so unfortunately i dont have much time for running (my weakest event)
Ill be getting my road bike soon I just need to find a day when I dont have a practice to pick it up.

Edited by BANNED 2006-12-17 3:53 PM
2006-12-16 7:35 AM

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Aloha Aaron,

I am 44, currently 241 (5'9) down from 266. I have been on BT sincw 31 Oct when I started to train again.

I have run on and off for years (More off then on) but when I was 22 I self trained for 8 months and won a three mile road race and finished 3rd at half mary. (Best time of 69 mins). That was a long time ago! Now I am training at about 13 min pace and I will be doing WD half mary in Jan. I have found this site to be a god send and the idea of having a mentor is awsome.

Having read all the Mentors 'blurbs' (Isn't that a horrible word?) I find I best identify with yourself. (That's supposed to be a compliment though you might not think so). I would be honoured to have you as a mentor Aaron.

Perhaps you would be kind enough, when you have some time to look at my blog and see if you feel I would be a good subject for you to mentor. I think getting me over the first year will be the challenge as I historically seem to to give it in about 6 -9 months. This time is better and with this site I have an awsome new tool I didn't have before.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mahalo  Paul

2006-12-16 9:46 AM

New York City
Hey Aaron,

Thanks for volunteering! I'd like to join your group if you don't mind. I'm a 25 y/o male and have been running for about four years, and have completed one marathon so far. The past two seasons I have battled injuries and I haven't been able to make it through a full marathon training plan. This year, I missed 6 months of running due to IT band problems, and as a way to cross-train I picked up swimming and biking. Well, suffice to say, I got hooked and I now enjoy swimming and biking as much as I do running.

My goals for next year are to stay injury-free(!), complete some sprint triathlons in the spring/summer, and do an olympic distance race in the fall. I'm not following any structured plan right now, but rather, just trying to get more comfortable in the pool and on the bike.

thanks,
Brian
2006-12-16 12:22 PM

Master
Sachse
Hey Aaron..

We have already met once..even if it was only for a few seconds. I want to start off by thanking you and BT for doing this.

STORY:I am 32 (33 next week), 6'0 about 265 down from 315. After getting out of the Army in 1998, I got a job behind a computer. I really didn't do anything other than SCUBA that would be considered physical activity. Well, when you sit behind a computer, drink Mountain Dew by the gallons and eat junk, you get the numbers listed above.

Our fist child was born 10 months ago. When I first saw her, I knew that I needed to change for her and my family. I slowly renewed my gym membership, started walking, and trying to watch what I eat. Since then, I have dropped about 50 lbs. During this process, I started swimming (if you can call it that) for some timed swims that I need to complete for my Divemaster training. Researching sites about swimming, I came acoss triathlon sites. This looked really intersting to me. Further research lead me to this site, and I am glad it did.

Family:I have beautifu wife and daughter. We have been married for 11 years and had our first daughter 10 months ago.

Training:It is all over the place. I am changing this soon with the help of a coach, after the new year. I have also been looking at running classes through Run On and Swim Coaching through a TI coach. (this may change). Recent events that I have done and jumped in over my head: White Rock Half (slow..very slow..but finished), Ultra Centric 48 hour. (Long story short..didn't make it the full time, but made it 33.6 miles).

WeightI have always pretty much had to watch this. The only time that it was easier to keep it off was my time in the Army. I would like to get down around 175-180.

Goals Get healthy, stay healthy, compete for a long time. I don't think that I will ever really be "fast". My interests are (currently) going long. I want to be able to get to a "good" pace and hold it for longer and longer distances, no matter what the sport. Like many others on this board, I wish to complete an Ironman event and then work into ultra distances. As you can see, I have a long way to go.

I selected you as a mentor because of your past, your motivation, and your location.....we are in the same area and I am sure, I will see you at a lot of races.

Kenny

Edited by Ten9T6 2006-12-16 2:02 PM
2006-12-16 7:28 PM

Veteran
Auckland
Hey Aaron,

This is a great idea for 2007 and would like to join your mentoring group if it's still open.

Story - I am a 35 yo male from Auckland, New Zealand been married for almost 5 years and got into Triathlon about a year ago. My background was Mountain biking so we entered the New Zealand Xterra as a team with myself doing the MTB and after having such a good race I decided the following year (2006) I would do the whole race myself. So I started running, swimming and had a couple of tri-a-try's last November, December moving onto sprints the beginning of this year. Since then I have done several sprints, a half-Marathon, one olympic distance and Xterra races.

Goals - My goals for 2007 are to complete the Tauranga Half-Ironman (Jan) and Xterra in April and have this crazy idea about qualifying for the Xterra Worlds in Hawaii later in the year. For 2008 I am considering the Ironman in Taupo.

Weight - I have been controlling my weight through exercise and have dropped from 108kgs to 95kg and have a goal to get down to an ideal weight of 90 by Xterra in April.

Cheers Guy

2006-12-16 7:58 PM

Veteran
Delaware
Hi Aaron, if your group is still open I'd like to join. I'm another 'superclyde' at 255 lbs. I managed to complete the eagleman this year, but DFL'd hideously. This was in part due to undertraining. My main goal is to get back down to a comfortable weight for triathlons, which would be a little under 200. I'm married with 3 boys, and work as a paramedic. Life is busy with the kids sports, but realise that I need to take care of my own health as well. Right now I'm running at a 13 + min mile, and although I know that my sub-6 days are gone, would like to get down to sub 8 in the next couple of years. I think that this program would be good for me as if I can get three months of steady, consistent training under my belt, I should be set.
Thanks, Scott
2006-12-16 9:13 PM

2006-12-17 1:25 AM

Veteran
Delaware
Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's Group - FULL
Thanks for squeezing me in
2006-12-17 3:08 PM

Alright Ill start putting my info into the logs.
Right now its swim season so not much else goin on.
2006-12-19 10:28 AM

Master
Sachse
This a an email I sent to Aaron, last night...he suggested that I post it here (w/ a small edit):

I have a question about your bike... do you recommend '06 (or 07)Equinox 9 to a newbie....The reason I ask...I have been looking at a few different bikes and I noticed that RBM has these on special right now. (1599.00) .... The only bikes I have ridden in a while (besides the gym workout) is a cheap Wallmart brand..haha.. and a Motobecane Moutain bike....So, no matter what I get, it will be a hell of a lot better (for what I plan to do). There are few bikes on special...and they have a 6 months same as cash...so, I can knock it out in two payments or so..instead of all at once...

Thanks again for your help.
Kenny

2006-12-19 10:44 AM
in reply to: #627870

2006-12-19 10:49 AM

Master
Sachse
Thanks....and yes, I wouldn't think about spending that kind of money, without being fitted for it.

Thanks..

Kenny
2006-12-19 11:03 AM

Queen BTich

Comet here! Not part of the group, just home on Holiday leave, here to lurk. This is a great program, you guys are so lucky!

Keep up the good work, Aaron will be a great Mentor.

Edited by Comet 2006-12-19 11:03 AM
2006-12-19 9:12 PM

Master
Sachse
Ok Aaron.... I went to RBM and got fitted... and picked up a new bike. But, I did get something different than I mentioned earlier. Considering how much time I am going to need to put on the bike, I decided to get one that will allow me to do more than just TRIs for now. I can add the aero bars and clipless pedals as I progress. For now, I am just going to get time in the saddle....and it will be better for what I am doing than the MTB and the Wallmart special.... I will look at a TRI specific bike later. So, anyway... Here it is:

Kenny

Edited by Ten9T6 2006-12-19 9:14 PM
2006-12-20 8:31 AM

Edited by JeepFleeb 2006-12-20 8:32 AM

2006-12-20 9:01 AM
in reply to: #628791

Master
Sachse
JeepFleeb - 2006-12-20 8:31 AM

Sweet ride Kenny! 

But I'd ditch the cages ASAP.  They're actually a lot more dangerous than clipless pedals.  Clipless doesn't take long to learn, but if you're off balance and crash for whatever reason then you just move your foot and your unclipped.  With cages you'll naturally move your foot to the side to catch yourself, but you'll be stuck in the cage and risk hurting yourself worse.

Look around on eBay and the classifieds here.  You can find lots of good used pedals for sale.  I personally recommend Speedplay X series.

you... know.. I wasn't going to mention this until you said that. I found out what you are saying this morning. Good thing that it was 415AM and everyone was in bed...because I had one foot (left) in the cage...and strapped.....as I am starting off, going up the hill next to my house... I was trying to spin the right one to get my foot in. I was concentrating on it and the bike slowed way down and leaned to the left......haha... the same side that was hooked in...and it was not coming out any time soon. Lets just say that I am glad I went the Airborne School in the Army. The PLF (parachute landing fall) came in handy this morning. The bike wasn't hurt...neither was I ....I just laid there and laughed on the wet road.

This did make me more nervous as I started getting up in speed. I don't like the feeling of being strapped to the bike if I need to get off of it in a hurry.

I will be looking into the clipless pedals and shoes...pretty quick. I just need a day or so to let the wife recover from my new Christmas present.

Kenny
2006-12-20 2:04 PM

Master
Sachse
Aaron....

After my workout during lunch...I started thinking about training with my HRM. I normally always have it on during workouts....but it is more to tell me what it is.(to tell me if my heart stops...haha)..I haven't been working to keep it within a certain zone. When training with these, is it ok to use the typical formula for calculating MHR (using age)....or do you really need to test to find out what your MHR is? If I am going to put in the work, I want to make sure I am getting the most out of it....

Thanks..
Kenny
2006-12-21 1:31 AM

Veteran
Auckland
Hey Guy's

I have uploaded a number of photo's into my albums of the last couple of events I have entered, I thought you might like to see where I have been training and racing in New Zealand recently.
2006-12-21 7:41 AM

Master
Sachse
Very cool ! Some of those swims looked like fun!

Kenny
2006-12-21 8:35 AM

New York City
Sweet! New Zealand sure looks a lot nicer than Boston this time of the year...

2006-12-21 9:21 AM
in reply to: #629347

Edited by JeepFleeb 2006-12-21 9:21 AM
2006-12-21 10:27 AM

Master
Sachse
Thanks for the link......

Kenny
2006-12-21 9:15 PM

Swim season is ending in february. What I am wondering is if I should run track? Right now I swim and I really dont have time for much else. Do you really think it would be worth it, or should I work by myself. With the latter I would be able to swim, cycle, and run. With the track team I would be able to work on my weakest event but not much else. Do I really need a coach for running?
2006-12-22 8:04 AM
in reply to: #628791

Master
Sachse
JeepFleeb - 2006-12-20 8:31 AM

Sweet ride Kenny! 

But I'd ditch the cages ASAP. 

Done...I removed them last night. So, I have the basic pedal while I am looking at all my other options...... Thanks..

Kenny
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3