2006-12-15 5:32 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX
Subject: shornick's Group - FULL

UserName:

shornick (Slade)

Story:
I'm a 39 year old male - I had pretty much done nothing as far as physical activity for the first 20 years out of highschool. My wife has been competing in triathlons since 2001 and in 2004 there was a short one close to home with just a 350m swim in a pool. I started running about 2 miles a day a couple of months prior and after that race I was hooked. Since then I have completed several 1/2 ironman, 1 ironman tri's and recently have become more interested and involved in Ultramarathons.

Family:
I've been married to the same beautiful woman for 17 years. She is not only my wife but my best friend. We have 3 children ages 9, 7 and 6.

Training:
I'm currently training for my next Ultra, a 50 mile trail run in Huntsville Texas in Feb of 2007. I'll do another 50k trail run in my home town in March, I'll then be taking a few weeks off for rest and recovery before starting my tri training. I plan on either a 1/2 or full ironman distance tri in September.

Weight:
I am 20 lbs lighter than than I was 2 years ago.

I live in Robinson, TX which is just outside of Waco.  So if anyone is interested in running with me in Cameron Park, I'll be there just about every Wednesday Morning, Saturday and Sunday for long runs.

Edited by shornick 2006-12-19 9:52 AM

2006-12-18 10:33 AM
in reply to: #625436

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: RE: shornick's Group - OPEN
Hi Slade. I would like to join your group if possible.

I could definitely use help, advice, support from yourself/a group and will in turn give back as much as possible.

Story:
42 yr old male - run several short races (mainly 5 k's) over the last 2-3 yrs and trained for a half mary this year but ankle injury ended that. Played several sports in high school and several intramural sports in college. For 10-12 yrs after that I did very little sports/activities, except for occasional pickup basketball games and softball at work.

I got tired of gaining weight and my bp going up, so I decided to get myself into as good a shape as I can be in.
I am a competitive person, to say the least, and I'm a numbers person. I don't mind getting
into detail involving things I enjoy, but I like to keep a balance on things too.

Family: I have been married for 17 yrs and have 2 kids, 14 and 12.

Training: I am currently training for my first triathlon, the MAP sprint tri in Charlotte on March 10, '07. I have started using the training log on this site. I'm riding a Diamondback mtn bike from a neighbor.

Weight: I'm up about 10 pounds from where I was earlier. I'm 5'9" and weigh 183.5 but would like to be at 170 - 175 by race day. The weight will basically take care of itself if I stay on task.

Location: I live in Gastonia NC, 20-25 minutes west of Charlotte.

Thanks,

tri42 ( Craig )
2006-12-18 2:35 PM

User image

Regular
Arlington, TX
Username:
mginani (Mike)

Story:
31 year old male. Started jogging a few years ago for fun. Always wanted to do a triathlon. Did a sprint triathlon at the end of 2004 and loved it. I did 4 sprints in 2005. I am an average swimmer and below average in the bike and run. I also have done one adventure race. I am 5’ 10” and 196 lbs. Finding time to train and still spend time with family is an issue with me.

Family:
Happily married for 7 years. We have a 4 year old daughter and a 4 month old son.

Training:
Currently training for a half marathon in late February.

Goals:
I would like to complete an Olympic distance triathlon this year, but more than anything I would like to see improvement on the individual disciplines in triathlon. In particular, the run. I have always been a 10 minute a mile runner and would like to improve on this. I also would like to follow a consistent nutrition program and get my weight down in the mid 170s.

Edited by mginani 2006-12-18 2:36 PM
2006-12-18 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX
Welcome to the group both Craig and Mike!
2006-12-18 4:46 PM

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
Hi Slade -

Was wondering if I could join your group. I'm a 42 year old male training for my first triathlon (Chicago, Olympic distance in August). I've played competitive sports since I was a kid (played soccer through college; still play on an old-man's team and also took up hockey at age 40). Got serious about training for something when I got on the scale one day about 4 months ago and tipped it at 206 (I'm 5'8"). Since then, joined the BT community, put myself on an 1800-calorie per day diet and dropped down to 173 lbs. I want to get to a target weight of 165 before I start hard-core running (for some reason I find I'm prone to calf injuries; which don't heal so quickly at my advanced age). I'm finding that I am loving the training for the tri but am sure I'm not so good on technique and having folks to ask questions of would be a big help.

Regards,
Vic1365 (real name, Wayne)
2006-12-18 5:06 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

Of course you can join our group!.

Welcome!

2006-12-18 5:20 PM

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
Thanks for letting me join. Forgot to mention that I have been married for 14 years and we have three great kids: 2 boys ages 11 and 8, and one girl age 3. We live in Northbrook, Illinois which is about 20 miles North of Chicago. I'm looking forward to chatting with you guys over the coming months. This mentor program thing is a great idea.
2006-12-18 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

UserName:

scottt (Scott)

Story:
I'm a 44 year old male - I was a serious athlete through high school, college and until I was approx. 28.  Since then I've spent more time on business that anyone should.  I'm finally putting a little more balance in my life and spending more time with the family and not at work. 

All of the sports I previously participated in would be more "fast twitch" sports as opposed to endurance sports (soccer, football, tennis, basketball, swimming, raquetball).  No doubt I was in great shape earlier in life, but never was one to run very far or swim more than a 100 IM.

I've coasted on decent genetics and being very fit when younger, but that won't hold you forever, so it's time to get healthy again.  My biggest issues surround fitting in working out in a busy schedule and staying motivated to do so.

Family:
I've been married for 12 years with a 6 year old boy.  My wife is greatly supportive of anything that gets me away from my business.  For now, my son thinks it's fun to ride his bike or scooter with me when I run.

Training:
I'd like to do a sprint in April and an international distance in early July.  There's another sprint in September here in Long Beach that would be fun.

Within the last month, I've started getting out there 3-4 days a week.  I figure cycling is probably my strength and running would be my weakness.

Weight:
I  currently weigh about 195 lb. (5' 11" tall).  Weight loss will undoubtedly come with the proper execution of my trianing plan.  I'm not that hung up on the numbers.  I suspect 175-180 lbs. would be a place my body would be pretty happy at.

I live in Long Beach, CA.  I've got a terrific bike/running path 1 block from the house that goes along Long Beach harbor and the Belmont Olympic Pool is 4 block away.

I'd like to join your group!

Scott

2006-12-18 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX
Welcome to our group! - Hey if you would I think your training log is set to Private view only - please open that up so we can encourage you!
2006-12-18 7:00 PM
in reply to: #627368

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Try now.
2006-12-19 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
NYC
Hi Slade,

I'd love to join this group.

I'm a 25 year old female and currently training for my first Ironman, IMKY. I live in NYC and am a grad student and work as a consultant. Outside of tris, I am a huge downhill and backcountry skier as I prettymuch grew up on the slopes of NH. Actually, balancing that with tri training is probably going to be one of my biggest challenges come Jan.

I like this join this group because I'm really interested in ultramarathons as well... one of my good friends is an ultrarunner. Slade, I really like the fact that you have done a few of the longer distance tris as well! I think it's awesome that you're training for a 50-miler. The Western States 100 is on my radar, however I'll have to wait until I'm out of NYC because no way would I be able to train for all those hills here! (unless I could somehow convince the Empire State building to let me run repeats up their stairs!).

As far as tri background goes, I actually don't have that much, but I do have a pretty solid base in two of the disciplines. I've run two marathons and have a long background as a competitive swimmer, as well as swimming on a masters team in NYC before I joined a tri team. My training schedule is pretty solid over the next few months- I'll be doing the Nashville Marathon, Harrimon mini, and Tupper lake 1/2 all before IMKY. I decided to go for the Ironman distance NOW because I'm just not sure when I'll ever have time to fit all the training in my schedule again (at least, until I retire).

As far as weight, I'm pretty bad about my diet. I have to eat out a LOT for work- literally I have a client lunch or dinner at least 4 times a week! Also, I just flat out love to eat, so that could be a culprit as well! I particularly like really spicy ethnic food, and have a giant list of places I'm trying to get to in NYC. Anyways, my love to eat PRETTYMUCH balances out with my love of endurance sports, so that's good for now, although I'm sure as my metabolism gets older I'll have to cut back eventually.

Courtney

2006-12-19 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX
Subject: RE: shornick's Group - FULL

Welcome Courtney! - I love the avatar, we have a 10 year old basset hound and my wife wants an english bulldog puppy.

Our group is set with a good mix from around the country.  I look forward to staying in contact with everyone while at the same time accomplishing a few goals along the way.

shornick - Slade (Texas)
tri42 - Craig (North Carolina)
mginani - Mike (Texas)
vic1365 - Wayne (Illinois)
Scottt - Scott (California)
TacomaLuv - Courtney (New York)

2006-12-19 10:15 AM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

Here is an Excel spreadsheet that I have used from time to time to see how many calories that I burn based on my weight and time spent running/biking or swimming.  This is based on one of Gale Bernhardt's books that my wife has.  I just extrapolated a little so that I could fluxuate it as my weight, speed and distance changes.

You just enter your weight in lbs and follow the matrix to see your calories burned based on your intesity and time.  - I don't know about the swim sheet - it may not work for you if you are a fast swimmer.

Edited by shornick 2006-12-19 10:17 AM

Attachments
----------------
calories_per_exercise.xls (40KB - 48 downloads)
2006-12-19 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
NYC
Thanks, that's Red. He's actually my boss' bulldog...

I "babysat" him when my boss was in Indonesia. Let me tell you, trying to get a bulldog up and down a 5th-floor walkup apartment building for walks twice a day ... it was a fun week :D

PS- I am starting to log everything in the BT training log, however most likely won't be putting all of my workouts in in their entirety until I get back from skiing on Jan 2nd, if that's okay?

Edited by TacomaLuv 2006-12-19 2:10 PM
2006-12-20 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Hi all. Just a couple of things about equipmnt:

1) riding a Diamondback Response Sport mtn bike.......with the WIDE, knobby tires.......I will at least put sliks on it for the race. Friend at work has a road bike I will look at tomorrow and hopefully that will be something I can use. I'm averaging 14 mph on the street, with some hills, so I'm looking forward to changing to something that won't work me so hard !

2) Just need a pair of goggles..........any suggestions......I assume it's a pretty simple purchase.

I'm filling out the trng log and updating my race info.

Have a good night.

Craig
2006-12-21 8:23 AM
in reply to: #629734

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

On the goggles, I have had pretty good luck with the solid one-piece Speedos.  I don't use the mirrored ones.  I couldn't find any other pictures real quick.  I use clear ones for the pool and shaded for OW.

But the most important thing is to get some anti-fog solution of some sort.  This is really important for open water swims (you need to be able to see where you are going).  In the pool you can get away without since you are always looking down at the big black stripe on the bottom of the pool.

One the bike - a road bike will make a world of difference over the Mountain bike. 

2006-12-26 9:03 PM

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
Anyone have any guidance on a bike purchase? Is there really a big difference between a road bike with clip-on aerobars and a "real" triathlon bike? Any sites that you've seen with good reviews on either road or triathlon bikes? Thanks for your help.
2006-12-26 10:33 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

Wayne,

Here is one link that is helpful - it explains the difference between the two.

Link

I wish I would have researched this before buying my bike.  I bought a road bike, but the only thing I do with it is triathlons.  I have ridden in a few bike tours, but they are only for supported training days.

Also, this has been discussed many times on this site, you can search the forums or post a new question to the whole group and get some really good advise. 

2006-12-27 6:41 AM

User image

Master
I found that link too reading thru the gear section. That helped a lot.

Slade, thx for the goggle pics....I bought some clear Speedo's. I'll try the soap thing for anti-fog; if that doesn't work I'll buy anti-fog.

About gear; I have searched a lot on the forums here and am planning on buying some tri shorts (probably Sugoi or Pearl Izumi). I tried on a pair of Pearl's @ Perf Bike in Charlotte. Also, do you wear anything under these ? I laughed when I read about these being "kinda see thru" so I'll definitely get black. Seriously though, do you wear anything under them for other reasons ?

Also, I purchased a stick of Body Glide. Stupid ?: Does this not come off in water ? I assume it doesn't and you obviously apply it before race starts.

Thanks for the help !

2006-12-27 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

On the shorts - you don't wear anything under bike or tri shorts.  There was a topic in one of the forums about this just the other day.  One of the explanations was that the pad works to keep moisture away from your skin and if you wear cotton or other material between you and the shorts then this defeats the purpose.

Body glide will stay on through the water for shorter distances.  If you plan to do at least a 1/2 ironman (5-7 hour race) then you sometimes need to re-apply between the bike and run.

2006-12-27 6:01 PM

User image

Master
Thx Slade.

I've got soem time on my hands right now, as I'm off this week....:-).

2006-12-28 12:55 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX

How about some January goals? 

Here are mine:
Run 162 miles and stay injury free
Bike 200 miles or equivalent time on the trainer
Start weight training

2006-12-28 8:46 PM

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
Sounds good, Slade. I'd like to do a minimum of 1600 minutes of training in January, split evenly between swim, bike, run, and sports (hockey and soccer primarily). That's a bit of a stretch over my December actuals.
2007-01-04 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

January goals:

Swimming:    160 min.    Swim 500m non-stop

Running:       200 min.    Gradually increase long run to 3.5 miles (I know that's not long for Slade, Mike or Wayne)

Biking:           240 min.    Gradually increase long ride to 28 miles

Strength:       240 min.

Note:  I'll be in Utah skiing/boarding for the last week of the month, so I don't think I'll be swimming or biking that week...probably just running and strength (maybe some spinning).

Build base...build base...build base!

Scott

2007-01-05 10:56 AM
in reply to: #642785

User image

Master
Jan goals:

Swim: 250 minutes. Weakest event by far. Build a base, build a base, build a base.

Bike: 450 minutes. See previous sentence !! build a base !

Run: 400 minutes. Recovering from severe ankle sprain in early '06. More
flexible on this goal because of that. Fairly solid base built up.
Continuous running limit right now is approx 1 hr/45 mins. I'll be
honest though, I do throw in a 1 or 2 minute walk per mile on
SOME long runs....don't know how that is looked upon here, but it
sure makes a difference in recovery.

Strength : 160 minutes

Hopefully the sinus infections will go away at least for awhile and also I hope to stay relatively injury-free.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shornick's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3