BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriForrestTri & Blackbud's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-12-15 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: TriForrestTri & Blackbud's Group - FULL

Name: TriForrestTri (Ben)

How'd I get into Tri's?: I've always been a bit of a runner and have always been somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Even during the crazy days of college, I ran a little bit, but drinking, smoking and poor nutrition meant that I was still out of shape.  After moving to Colorado to Illinois w/ my wife, a co-worker (John)  talked me into doing an Adventure Race out in Moab.  For the next six months, I didn't drink, didn't smoke, ate right and followed his coaching which included doing a couple tris.  Long story short, I survived the tris and the adventure race, but the tris stuck. 

What's my deal now?  I thoroughly enjoy training and racing.  It is a fantastic addiction and I've met some great friends along the way.  The "grass roots" nature of this sport is nothing short of inspiring.

With any luck this year, I'll complete 2 half iron distance races, 1 olympic distance, 2 sprints and anything else that fits into the schedule and budget.  I'm using the "Triathlete's Training Bible" to plan my workouts and am learning enormously along the way.

After 3 years of triathlon, I have no illusions:  I do this as a hobby.  It's supposed to be fun for cryin' out loud and I'd like to keep it that way.  While I definitely want to get faster and continue to get in better shape, meeting all kinds of interesting people along the way is probably what I enjoy the most.

Edited by TriForrestTri 2007-01-17 4:40 PM

2006-12-18 4:46 PM
in reply to: #625442

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: TriForrestTri's Group - OPEN
So there's an official sign up for this thing?  Do you get to approve of who you get to work with, or are you just stuck with me then?  Heeheee! 
2006-12-19 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Hi Ben:

I would like to join your group. What really struck me in your narative is that this is a hobby you do for fun.  That is exactly how I feel. I have no illusions, I'll never win a race or even win my age group, but I am here to enjoy the experience.

My name is Maggie. I'm a 45 year old female in Arlington, VA. I started last year with a sprint and got hooked. This year I hope to do several sprints and an Olympic.  I am also trying to shed some body fat along the way. Mostly I want to push myself and see how far I can go.

Thanks

2006-12-19 12:22 PM
in reply to: #627273

User image

Expert

StandsWithFist - 2006-12-18 3:46 PM So there's an official sign up for this thing?  Do you get to approve of who you get to work with, or are you just stuck with me then?  Heeheee! 

I wouldn't say that I'm "stuck" with you!  I'm actually kind of excited about this whole thing.

2006-12-19 12:34 PM
in reply to: #627758

User image

Expert
Nipper - 2006-12-19 8:06 AM

Hi Ben:

I would like to join your group. What really struck me in your narative is that this is a hobby you do for fun.  That is exactly how I feel. I have no illusions, I'll never win a race or even win my age group, but I am here to enjoy the experience.

My name is Maggie. I'm a 45 year old female in Arlington, VA. I started last year with a sprint and got hooked. This year I hope to do several sprints and an Olympic.  I am also trying to shed some body fat along the way. Mostly I want to push myself and see how far I can go.

Thanks

Hey Maggie - It's great to have you on board! 

2006-12-19 3:40 PM
in reply to: #627758

Pro
AZ
Hey Maggie!  Welcome to the cool group! Haha!  I guess I should fall in line with the other groups and post my little bio.  As soon as I get some stuff wrapped up here at work I will do that.  Then we can start interacting more and picking Ben's brain!  Watch out Ben!!!

2006-12-19 4:58 PM

Pro
AZ

Ok....here's the skinny on me:

My name is Tanya and I am a 35 yrd old working mother (1 8yr old son) and wife (1 husband) who lives in Gilbert AZ.  I work for a software company based in Atlanta, but work from home here in AZ.  I was very athletic in school and was always participating in sports, but once I joined the real world and life took over, keeping active was not a priority.  After years of puting others first and letting myself "go" I decided in March of 2004 that being 50 pounds overweight was unacceptable!  So I joined Weight Watchers and started walking.  After losing about 25 pounds it became clear that walking just wasn't cutting it anymore.  So I started a little jog/walk thing, and before I knew it....I was a runner!  Soon I did my first 10k and 1/2 marathon and shed that last 25 pounds.  I have been weight stable now at my goal weight for a year and a half.  I decided to switch to Tri's after coming to the conclusion that I did indeed want to remain active and fit, however, my body is not so excited about all this running all the time.  I figured the cross training that Tri's provided would be good, however, I had one little problem....  I didn't know how to swim.  When I say this, I am not simply saying that I had bad form.  I am saying that I never learned now to swim....never learned how to put my face in the water and blow the air out my nose.  I have tried my whole life, and just could never do it.  I like being in the water.....as long as I could touch and keep my head above water or plug my nose.  SO....if I wanted to attempt the goal of doing a triathlon, I was also going to have to learn how to swim.  I hired a swim coach, and swam 5 days a week from July 13 until Oct 15....my first Tri.  Just learning how to swim was the hardest thing I have ever done!!!!  So now I have a $1,000 stroke, but little endurance.  So that is what I am working on now.  So far I have done 4 Sprints, and have come in 3rd and 4th in my AG in two of them.  I JUST downloaded the Sprint to Oly training plan, as I would like to do my first Oly this spring. I have huge fears about the OWS, but I know I can work to overcome this too.  I also embrace the idea of doing it just for the fun of it, but at the same time, if I am going to do something and put a lot of time into it, I want to do it well.  So the competitive side of me does come out, the bottom line is to just achieve my own goals and be proud of my accomplishments.

Ok...that was a 500 word essay and NOBODY asked for.  Sorry.  I'm chatty.

Oh....and Maggie...I had the pleasure of meeting Ben while I was in Denver on business.  Met up with him and Blackbud for a spin class.  I totally smoked them.  NOT! Haha!

2006-12-19 9:26 PM

User image

Barrow Island, Western Australia
G'day Ben,
my name's Mark 43, I work out in the great Sandy Desert in Western Australia for the last 3 years. Married 4 girls and when time permits I live with them down on the coast near Perth. You sound exactly like the bloke I'm looking for. Myself I started running real distances about three years ago, prior to that a fair bit of cycling but that stopped when I took on a remoter job where bikes aren't allowed (might get hurt,, right!) hence the running became the focus. Completed one 1/2 and two marathons thus far and working to completing 2 marathons next year. But I'm keen to get into tris and work off the water spectre that has been with me for ages (don't do water) I'm sure I'll never be a first placer but I'm all for having fun because let's face it if it isn't what's the point. As far as techo gear goes I carry a Garmin 101 and won't train without it, camelbak and a pair of asics. Should get my new bike in January (felt F75). So if you're keen I'd like to jump on board thanks Mark
2006-12-20 12:09 AM

Name - Yakhead(Ian)

I would like to join your group?

Newbie here! I start my scheduled 20 week workout for a sprint tri on friday, I want to do a couple of 5k's and one or two sprints this summer or fall.

32 y/o Husband and father of 2 great boys (3yrs and 7 months) and I work in the medical field. My wife is supportive of me getting back into shape (i'm 6'2" 230)and to quit smoking (Have had only 1 since friday)and I think in the future I might be able to get her to try a tri. I have been lurking on here for about a year and last spring started running and biking and overtrained and hurt my knee and was out for 2 months and wife had a baby, and never got back on the treadmill, But I am ready now to get back on the horse. I like that you said that it is a hobby because if it is not fun then you will stop doing it.

2006-12-20 12:18 AM

User image

Groton, CT

Hi Ben, Can I join the group? My name is Victoria, I'm currently in the Coast Guard and stationed in Alaska. I swam in high school, ran in college, but never owned a bike until I met my boyfriend two years ago.  He bought me my first one and I literally had to learn to ride it, so biking is definitely my weakest area. He started me in triathlons, but I have never actually completed one.  We moved to Alaska last summer and I must say, there is a paucity of opportunities in small island town of 7000 and almost no support for athletes (Unless it involves killing deer or baiting fish hooks....)

I am currently following the 1/2 ironman training plan on BT and plan to race in the California Ironman 70.3 in March. I trained for the Vineman 70.3 in July, but had to cancel due to last minute work conflicts.  I am more of a long distance person. I've completed two half and two full marathons, I don't enjoy sprinting, so I am drawn to the HIM distance.  As for the areas I need to improve upon: I have a difficult time maintaining my training while underway on the cutter and find I have to start over every time we come back into port. I have never really had an issue with weight, but have a hard time building a good muscle base, and I think I need that to get any faster. I view triathlon as a way to relieve stress and enjoy the workouts, but am nervous about completing my first race.  I think I'm looking less for true "mentoring" than I am looking for a support group to bounce ideas off of and to keep me inline.  Thanks for letting me join. Hope everyone's holiday season is off to a good start.

2006-12-20 8:54 AM

User image

Boise Idaho
Hey Ben-
I would love to join your group. BIO- Boise Idaho guy. I turn 30 in March and have been a very active soccer coach and I just stepped away from the sport and turning the page on my book of life. I have always had a desire to run tri's. I will fill out my log book asap.

Thanks

2006-12-21 9:12 PM
in reply to: #628611

User image

Expert

Sorry it's taken a couple days to reply...  It's been a bit hectic around here to say the least.

Mark - It sounds like we've got a few things in common.  Not the least of which is the swim challenge.  When I started swimming about 3 years ago, I had all the swim skill of a monkey.  It's still my weakest area but at times, I also enjoy it more than biking and running.  Let me know how you like the Felt 75.  I've got the Felt S32, so we'll have to compare notes.

When you get a chance check out the"Training Log" feature.  It's great to see how you're training is going from week to week and we'll all get to see how you're doing too.

2006-12-21 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: TriForrestTri's Group - FULL

Before I log off, I thought I ought to wish everyone a  Merry Christmas!!!

It's always tough to squeeze in workouts during the holidays, but it's well worth it.  And it's even better if you can share a run with family.  Just ask StandsWithFist how much her son enjoyed running with her   Anywho, I'll try and check in a few times over the next week to see how things are going.  Happy training!!

2006-12-22 10:37 AM

User image

Boise Idaho
Merry Christmas to everyone.

2006-12-23 11:16 PM

Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday
2006-12-27 10:01 PM
in reply to: #631162

User image

G'day Ben,
I've started logging on the training log, picked a good time with Christmas etc,,,,, but started anyway, just downloaded the 16 week swimming enhanced,, so I'll give that a go. quick question though, I'm still working on doing two marathons this year, first one in May any hints as to how to fit them in?
PS 2 weeks till I get my bike, we'll definitely compare notes.

cheers Mark

2006-12-31 5:17 PM
in reply to: #634832

User image

Expert

markmark - 2006-12-27 9:01 PM G'day Ben, I've started logging on the training log, picked a good time with Christmas etc,,,,, but started anyway, just downloaded the 16 week swimming enhanced,, so I'll give that a go. quick question though, I'm still working on doing two marathons this year, first one in May any hints as to how to fit them in? PS 2 weeks till I get my bike, we'll definitely compare notes. cheers Mark

2 weeks?!?!  Knowing that your bike is on it's way is excellent, but the waiting for has got to be almost painful

As for how to continue training for your marathons, I think you might find it a relief to add some swimming and biking to your training but it really depends on how much your running now.  Given you're running background, I'm willing to bet that you're already running more than what the 16 week Swim Focused plan suggests.  I'm not sure what kind of distance/time your running during the week, but you might be able to do your short and medium runs during the week on Tue, Wed and Thursday then a long run on Sunday.  This would still leave you with Saturday off every week.

Just be careful not to overdo it and stick to the 4 week cycle that the plan has built into it.  After 3 weeks of training your body will likely be begging for some much needed rest, so reduce your training on week 4 by 25%. 

Have a happy new year!

-Ben

Edited by TriForrestTri 2006-12-31 5:18 PM
2006-12-31 5:40 PM
in reply to: #637982

User image

Thanks mate, I'll run with that got to admit the cross training does break the boredom, I'll hold off on the intensive training till 3 months prior to the race and yes waiting for delivery is wearing my nails down (from druming them!!) although in reality I've ben waiting 12 months for it, was worth then $2100AUS and then in December they dropped it to $1700AUS so good things come to those who wait but I'm nearly over the waiting game. Quick one for you, at the moment I'm swimming in boardies (yep surfing is cool!!) but what is the best for doing the entire tri in? I've seen the BT one pieces or the shorts and they look like the go,, I'm wondering are they different to proper cycling shorts? All the best for new years and new Goals

Mark
2007-01-01 9:33 AM

Pro
AZ

Hey Mark!  If you wear biking shorts for the whole tri, you will be cycling in a big, wet, mushy diaper!!!  Tri shorts have a nice, soft chamoise lining in them to help cushion your tush, but it does not hold water.  Plus, the material the Tri shorts are made out of is super thin and wicks away the water super fast so you can dry quickly on the bike.  Well worth it!!!  A lot of people have pairs they train in, and then they keep a nice pair just for racing, or have a 1 piece tri suit just for racing.  That way you don't have to bother messing with a shirt.

Happy New Year eveyrone!

2007-01-02 10:21 AM
in reply to: #638281

User image

Expert

What Tanya said!!!

Edited by TriForrestTri 2007-01-02 10:22 AM
2007-01-02 10:54 AM

Pro
AZ
Sorry.....left unrestrained, I will talk too freely!  TOO FREELY!

2007-01-02 3:19 PM
in reply to: #638281

User image

Greetings Tanya,gotta admit the visual picture would be a hoot! BUT I won't be doing it , cheers for that I'll get some proper tri shorts
2007-01-02 11:08 PM
in reply to: #639099

User image

Hey!!! how scary is this! yesterday I was working out what tri to take on and then this afternoon an email lands on my desk for a Tri in March (BP Ultimate/BRW-Perth) which works out about right. Time to get the skates on.
2007-01-03 9:27 AM

Pro
AZ
See....the universe wants you do pick a race and DO IT!!!  Sounds like the perfect amount of time to train and be ready.  Will I be seeing the beginer Sprint training plan downloaded into your log????? Hmmmm???
2007-01-03 9:23 PM
in reply to: #640422

User image

OK,,, even though I like pen and paper,,,,,, I'll get it going
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriForrestTri & Blackbud's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5