Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2006-12-15 5:35 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: Artemis's Group - FULL

Username: Artemis

My story: I was a competitive swimmer in high school and was pretty active until I went to college. Then I stopped working out so much. My dad encouraged me to start bike commuting to work, so I did that. I got the crazy idea two years ago that I could probably do a triathlon, so long as I learned how to run. I stumbled on the BT "Beginner Couch to Sprint" training plan and followed that. In the past two years, I've done four sprints, one olympic, and two half-marathons, which I never thought I'd be able to do. Next year, I'm planning on doing more olympics and my first marathon. Never thought this would ever be possible.

Family: I'm married with no kids. Maybe one day when I grow up

Personal: I'm a PhD student in Integrated Life Sciences (Bioinformatics concentration) at Virginia Commonwealth University. I've been working on juggling courses, TAing, research, married life, and training. It's always a struggle, but I'm doing my best to make it work. Outside of all that, I like to...sleep?

Weight: I've been struggling with my weight since college. I'd lost weight last year, but gained a ton of it back because of medication side effects and now I'm working on losing it again. I'm learning how to eat healthy and resist bad food, which I know I couldn't do without the things I've learned here

I would love to help people here as much as I've been helped. I've gotten so much information and I don't think I could have accomplished nearly as much without everyone here. Plus, I wouldn't have gotten to meet all the great people that I did in the past two years.

Edited by Artemis 2006-12-21 8:45 AM

2006-12-18 7:44 AM
in reply to: #625443

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Artemis's Group - OPEN
Hello, Artemis (Jen), I would like to join your group.

Since your template seemed to work well, I think that I will steal it to convey my own bio.

Username: dlvt52
Ral Name: Dave

My Story: Years ago, I was a varsity high school basketball player (and all-around gym rat and athelete) who had scarcely an ounce of fat on his body despite the 5k+ calories consumed per day (6'5" ~190lbs). I decided to go to Virginia Tech to become a computer engineer, dashing any (glim) hopes of participating in any organized college atheletics. I ate poorly and only played basketball sparingly, gaining weight and losing the atheletic body and cardiovascular shape that I was accustomed to. The day I graduated was the last day that there was an easily accesible basketball gym (and players). I started work as a software developer and my diet worsened and I became sedentary (~235 lbs). About a year later, I got married and my diet began to improve and I finally decided to loose weight. After a few years of mild success (~220 lbs) I realized that diet alone was not going to be successful, and that I should get back into some sort of exercise. However, the only exercise that I had known my whole life was sports exercise. The thought of goaless running/biking was quiet boring, honestly. It was about then that I read an article on how anyone can complete a triathlon. It was the right article at the right time. It lit a fire that is still burning , and to continue the pyro-metaphor, and growing hotter every mile/day I complete.

I ran across this site in the my initial triathlon whirlwind research and have been checking back frequently ever since. I started a training log in a composition notebook, but decided to use the resources on this site instead, and I have logged every mile on here since I started the 20 week 2x balanced training plan 6 weeks ago. I am planning on completing a sprint triathlon (Virginia Run) in May. I am focusing on that goal now, letting future, follow-on aspirations develop when the ground is properly fertile.

Family: I am married with an 8 month old son.

Personal: I am a software developer at a defense contractor in northern Virginia.

Weight: I am less concerned about weight now than I was when I started this plan. I am realizing that I am gaining muscle mass and losing fat, so I am no longer watching my weight on a daily basis. My fat% is dropping visibly, and that is enough encouragement on that front. Progress is all I am looking for. Now my focus is on getting better at biking, running, and swimming.

I am quite motivated, but with a level-head and knowledge that this is a long-haul goal, not a short and fast goal. My current most difficult challenge is swimming. Despite feelign the best about swimming when I started, it has proven to be the opposite, and the only area that I have struggled to keep motivation.

I am looking for additional inspiration and guidance to keep my training focused and constructive while keeping my head pointing in the right direction.
2006-12-18 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Jen,
I'd like to join your group.

A little about myself:
I'm a 27 y/o male, married (4.5 years), and no children, yet. I ran track in HS but stopped running in college. I decided, thanks to some prompting from my wife, to start running again this year, and finished my first 1/2 marathon in October. It was an awesome experience and I can't wait to do more! As I began to think about my training goals for 2007, I decided I wasn't quite psyched up for a full marathon, yet, but was definitely up for some triathlons. My wife and I got a membership at the local YMCA and that will certainly help through the cold winter months here in Missouri.

My goals for 2007:
I want to train for, and complete, a couple sprint tris. I have my eye on 2-3 already. I also have a friend who wants to do a tri, too!

Where I'm starting from:
Swimming: I can swim at least 100m in 2:00, but my heart rate was pretty high compared to when I run/bike. I swam at a comfortable pace and my HR was around 190-200. It's usually 120-130 when I run/bike. I was also quite out of breath!

Cycling: I can ride 4-5 miles comfortably (probably more if I had a better bike).

Running - this is my strength - I can run well and am very comfortable running!

I hope to gain some guidance in training this next year and having a "mentor" would be all the better!
2006-12-19 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Sask.

Username: Stbrrn

My story: I was a very active kid and played many sports throughout high school.  I played rugby on my provincial team from age 15 to 19, going to nationals every year.  At 20 I retired from rugby because I hurt too much and needed to concentrated on school.  When I finally entered the real world I was very overweight, probably due to having rec hockey as my only exercise.  I signed up for a women’s try-a-tri group in the summer of 2006 and completed 4 tris and 1 duathlon, all sprint or less in distance.  This season I want to complete an olympic distance tri. 

Family: I am single.

Personal:  I am 24 and an engineer. 

Weight:
I have currently lost 20lbs this year and really hope to lose more.  I have gradually been changing my eating habits and increased my activity.

Edited by stbrrn 2006-12-19 9:36 AM
2006-12-19 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Good morning everyone! How is everyone's training going so far this week? I ran on a treadmill last night (first time ever!) and had a great workout. I ran 3.25 miles at a 10:00 pace and really enjoyed it. I also got some weights in, but not as much as I would have liked. Tonight I think I'm going to hit the bike pretty hard. I hope everyone has a great day!

Robert
2006-12-19 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
Good morning!

I had a nice "long" bike ride yesterday. I just had to take advantage of the 70+ temps here in northern Virginia in the middle of December.

Good run! When I started training (6 weeks ago only) I used a treadmill and really enjoyed it for the pacing and structure. The weather has been so nice that I have been doing it outside lately, but that has resulted in my not lifting weights. I just can't seem to get myself to make the extra trip to lift after doing my main tri training. It was no problem when it was right there, but an extra trip is a bummer.

Wow, first time ever on a treadmill and you are a runner by trade? What pushed you inside this time? I am still working up to running that 5k distance, and the hills aorund my house have not really been helping. Maybe the treadmill would be nice.

Today is my day off, but I am planning on a 29 minute run on Wednesday. (week 7 of the day-shifted around version of the 20 week 2x balanced training program)

Edited by dlvt52 2006-12-19 10:13 AM

2006-12-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: #627840

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
dlvt, I envy the weather you're having! It is in the upper 30's here right now.

As for the treadmill - I ran track in HS, so all our running was outside. When I started running again (just this year, back in April), the weather was nice enough to stay outside all spring/summer/fall. Now that it's snowed and gotten cold, my wife and I migrated inside with a membership to the local Y (5 minutes from home, too). Having free access to the pool was a big factor in training for tris, too. I much prefer to run outside, when it's light out, but I work during the day and it's usually dark by the time I get home. I will run outside on the weekends, though.

It was a good run, too, just not as satisfying as the 8, 9, and 10 milers I was putting in for my 1/2 marathon training. Oh well, I'm only on the TM for the winter, then it's back outside!
2006-12-19 11:00 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hey everyone!

I went for a ride (and a run) yesterday, too.  The weather here in Virginia was too gorgeous to not get out and do something!

Last year I did my training for a half-marathon in March mainly inside.  I was pretty new to running and it wasn't so bad at the time.  This year, I'm doing the same half-marathon, but I think I'm going to do most of my training outdoors.  I just can't stand running on the treadmill anymore.  It feels like it takes so much longer and I get hotter and I run slower.  Not a whole lot of fun.

Are you guys following training plans right now?  I'm using a training plan for the Shamrock Half-Marathon, although slightly modified (Here's the link ).  It has me running four times each week and then two days of cross training.  I'm trying to do three and three, although the past few weeks have been really busy. 

2006-12-19 11:21 AM
in reply to: #627926

User image

Regular
Hello, Jen!

This has been some excellent weather, hasn't it? I am hoping that we just skip winter completely this year.

Being that I am currently a BT freeloader, I am following the 20 Week Sprint 2x Balanced Training Plan. I moved the days around a little bit, but other than that I am trying to follow it as best as I can (except that I really need to get back in the pool). I am currently on week 7, but I have had a few trangressions, including a vacation (to a place without a bike, and only a small non-lap swimming pool), and nothing but frustrations in the pool.

I basically was coming "off-the-couch", although I was playing some basketball and lifting weights before I started my tri training.

- Dave
2006-12-19 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
I'm currently following one of BT's free beginner programs: the Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week program. I'm loosely following it as I can't swim right now b/c of an open wound on my thumb. I'm trying to avoid pool water b/c I don't want to risk any infection. Right now, I'm just trying to get through the winter without losing the fitness I gained this year as I trained for my 1/2. I want to run another 1/2 or 2, do a couple tris, and perhaps a full marathon in October, but the jury's still out on that.

I'm not crazy about treadmill running, either, but at least I can zone out with my IPod and not worry about falling off the curb into oncoming traffic, rabid demon-possessed dogs (ask me about Fluffy sometime), or drivers who don't watch for me at intersections.
2006-12-19 5:05 PM

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
I would like to join this group also. My name is Kelli

I have been training for about a year and have done a few triathlons this past season. However I have lofty goals of getting better. Currently I recuperating from surgery and unable to train. I plan to get back to training beginning in the new year.

I am 41 years old single mother. I work in education.

2006-12-19 8:30 PM
in reply to: #628428

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hi, Kelli!  Welcome to the group.  Hope you heal quickly and you're able to get back to training soon.   

celticblde05 - 2006-12-19 6:05 PM I would like to join this group also. My name is Kelli I have been training for about a year and have done a few triathlons this past season. However I have lofty goals of getting better. Currently I recuperating from surgery and unable to train. I plan to get back to training beginning in the new year. I am 41 years old single mother. I work in education.

2006-12-19 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Hi Kelli, and welcome to the group! I hope you get healed up soon and are able to get back to training!!

I just got in from the gym: 7 miles on the bike and 150m in the pool. Felt great!!!

Now, if I could just learn how to NOT suck in water when I inhale, I'll be even better! Any tips?
2006-12-19 10:12 PM
in reply to: #628589

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Nice workout! 

As far as the swimming, it helps if you breathe out while your face is still in the water and then you can just breathe in when your face is out of the water.  Other than that, it's just a lot of practice.  I remember doing drills when I was little and just learning to bilaterially breathe.  You would hold onto the wall and put your face in, breathe out, and then breathe in on each side.  No swimming, just practicing with the breathing.

jcdenton2000 - 2006-12-19 10:04 PM Hi Kelli, and welcome to the group! I hope you get healed up soon and are able to get back to training!! I just got in from the gym: 7 miles on the bike and 150m in the pool. Felt great!!! Now, if I could just learn how to NOT suck in water when I inhale, I'll be even better! Any tips?

2006-12-20 5:46 AM
in reply to: #628428

User image

Regular
Hello Kelli, and welcome to the group! I hope your healing goes well and gets you ready for more training. I will be interested to hear about some of your fist couple of triathlons. I am planning on trying my first in May.

I have had a heck of a time breathing in the pool, too. Instead of gulping water, it is more that I never learned to breathe out underwater. So I attempt to exhale and inhale when my face is out of the water, which leads to me being out of breath quickly. I have been trying to exhale underwater, but it feels so unnatural and will just take a while, I think. I need to stick with it. I am signing up for adult beginner lessons this week that will start in January.

Good workout, Robert! You blew by the opening bike (and swim) distance on your plan, nice job.

Today is my "long run" (29 minutes - hoping to break the 3 mile barrier) and I am going to try and fit in some strength training. I have gotten off the strength training wagon, but would really like to get back on.

2006-12-20 7:00 AM

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Swimming, so I hear, is one of the sports that tends to get at Triathletes the most (did you know that?). The majority of the triathletes actually come from running or biking but not swimming. I was a swimmer for many years growing up, so I had at least knowledge and skill of one sport under my belt prior to beginning the quest.

Think of swimming as an old-fashioned clock. One gear has to rotate to click another gear which in turns clicks another. That is what swimming is kind of like. Every movement has its own purpose. Swimming is the most technical of the three disciplines (so I read). I breathe every time I lift my right arm (I am not great at bi-lateral breathing). Just before lifting my right, I actually exhale in the water. The best description for swimming, including drills is from a tri book I use SWIM BIKE RUN: TECHNIQUE, TRAINING, RACING by Wes Hobson, Clark Campbell, and Mike Vickers. I highly recommend this book for any triathlete. (but really, I have only completed one season and have so much to learn myself)

Edited by celticblde05 2006-12-20 7:02 AM

2006-12-20 7:16 AM
in reply to: #628707

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
My first TRI was extremely emotion. I think I almost missed the finish line because I was crying so much. I couldn't believe that I had actually accomplished this great feat.

Currently I am only doing Sprint Tri.s. My first one was outside Pittsburg in a state park with hills and LOTS of wind. The best thing I did was prepare and bring many appropriate and needed tri equipment. I went to the pre-event meeting (A MUST FOR ALL). There was a pro-triathlete explaining how to set up your space, how to transition (A FOURTH DISCIPLINE in triathlons), and what to pay attention to. So many pieces of advice I needed for my first time.

The next day was so cold and windy. My daughter had layers of clothing plus wrapped a blanket around her. Fortunately I had bought the wetsuit (really a MUST). The air was cold and it was needed, but I saw many did not have one. A wetsuit actually makes you faster because of its buoyancy. I got mine online. However I did not want one with arms to inhibit my swimming. Just a hint--if the air is cool the water is probably warm. This was the case.

Once the first gun went off and the guys went in, I almost cried. This was it! I was in the third wave of swimmers. Finally it came to my wave and the horn went off. This was serious now, no more crying. Fortunately this swim was an out and back swim, one line. They had us swim up on the left side of the buoys and come back on the right. This was great for me because it mimiced lane lines. About 200 yards into the swim I figured out that I wanted to be near the buoys & rope. The water was choppy and the wind was still kicking in. Drifting is a huge problem. So if I could get something in sight (the buoys and rope) then I could keep myself from drifting. It worked, I just plugged away at it and ended up passing quite a few people. I even caught up to other ones in the previous wave. The water so so dark it was hard to see anything, but I just kept going. Finally I noticed light from reflections, the shore was coming. When I put my arm into a stroke and it hit ground I stood up... and almost cried again. I had just finished LEG ONE!!!
2006-12-20 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Kelli - thanks for sharing your experience with your first tri - very cool - I can't wait to do my first next year!

Jen - thanks for the info on how to improve my form/breathing - I'll have to go try it out tomorrow at the pool. Breathing out wasn't too hard to figure out, so once I get the breathing in figured out, I should be ready to rock and roll!

Dave - one thing I found that really helps with the breathing out in the pool is a pair of goggles. I know it sounds weird, but being able to keep my eyes open in the pool, helps me keep my head down. I very quickly found out that I don't have to open my mouth up wide/big to exhale, but rather I kind of purse my lips and force the air out. by having a smaller opening, it minimizes any water getting in. Bi-lateral breathing is tough as I sometimes run out of air, but breathing only on one side makes me feel like I'm breathing too much/often. Very odd.

I was pretty pleased with the distance on the bike last night, even if it was just a stationary bike. My legs are pretty strong from trianing for my 1/2 this year, so jumping on the bike has been a good experience. I did discover that if I'm on the bike for anything over 30 minutes, it takes a couple minutes for my legs to adjust to walking. I plan to do a ton of brick workouts this winter at the Y as the bikes and the treadmills are in seperate rooms (probably do this once a week at least). I figure the experience of cycling for 30-45 minutes (or more) and then hopping on a treadmill will at least get my legs somewhat used to the transition. Once the winter goes away, I plan to get outside and get some "real" experience at it.

Edited by jcdenton2000 2006-12-20 10:16 AM
2006-12-20 11:55 AM
in reply to: #628947

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Robert - the workout you described (going from biking to running) is commonly called a "brick" around here.  Either because that's what your legs feel like when you're done or "Bike + Run = ICK". 

Either way, they are really really helpful for training for a tri.  I definitely recommend doing at least one before your first tri.  I try to do one about once per month during the summer.  Less often right now.  It made a difference for me.  I didn't do any before my first tri, but did some before my second.  What a big difference!  My legs were much more used to running after getting off the bike.  Another thing that can help with the transition is to keep your cadence high while biking - most people say between 80 - 100.  It's usually closer to what you run so that will help with the transition too. 

2006-12-20 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Jen,
I found the terminology to be quite adequate in describing how my legs felt after a hard 30 minute ride! LOL! I do plan to do them regularly, maybe once a week. I'm thinking that during the winter a lot of my workouts will be indoors, making bricks very easy to accomplish, with a focus on my swimming and cycling. On Saturdays I can easily go out and put in 5-7 miles running around my neighborhood.

I did find out something disturbing on the road bike I bought for $5.00 at the thrift store: I don't think it shifts! LOL! I didn't test it out when I picked it up to see if it did and I'm not sure what I was thinking!!! :-( Luckily it was only $5.00. I took it out to the country about a month ago after putting new tires on and had put the rear tire on wrong, causing the tire to rub the frame. I forgot to throw my tools in my car, so I only got like 2-3 miles out of it, and never got it to shift. I got the tire fixed so that it doesn't rub the frame, and as I was playing with it, I noticed that as I moved the shifter, the gears didn't change. I could switch between the two main discs, but couldn't shift beyond that. Luckily I have my trust mtn bike which I know shifts great and rides well enough to get me started. I dropped by the LBS and found a new bike (can't remember the brand) for $800 that I really liked - very light, and it shifts smoother than my car! I'm going to get through my first season and save money for it.
2006-12-20 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Sask.

Robert,
I am also looking a getting a new bike in the near future.  I bought a used Cannondale mulisport on impulse in the middle of last season an now I regret it as I feel it is too big.  This time I am planing to over research before I buy, I guess I have all winter.
-Erin

2006-12-20 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
LOL! I think I just scared the crap out of myself! I was thinking back to my first 1/2 marathon back in October and how (gloriously) tired I felt after running it, then it dawned on me that a 1/2 IM requires a 1/2 marathon run after swimming 1.2 miles (that's a lot when I could barely do 150m last night), AND a 56 mile bike ride. WOW! That's quite an eye-opener!!! I see how this has to become a lifestyle choice and something that will certainly require a lot of patience to work up to! I hope to do a full ironman someday...but suddenly that goal/dream seems like it's a LONG ways off!
2006-12-20 7:45 PM

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Just a few more days and then I can begin to train again. It is interesting reading everyone's comments especially when it comes to training plans. For the past year I have made up my own. I did do research on many areas using books and this site. Basically I rise early and go to the gym everyday before work and on Saturdays. I spin on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I swim on Tuesdays, Thursday PM and Saturdays (my race or distance swim). And finally I run on Wednesdays, Fridays and any night after work that I can including weekends.

I prefer to run outside and bypass the treadmills. The workout isn't the same if you are not controling the pace instead of the machine. As the weather gets cold, I just dress for it and still go out. Running is the worst aspect of my Tri. It doesn't help being overweight, but I am keeping up with the training. My goal is to break the 10 minute miles (which is a big deal for me). I run with a small group in the mornings and by myself the rest of the time. However, I am looking to change that. I need a better runner to pace me or rather to increase my pace. The focus of my training this year will be the run.

A tri group around here has invited me to join their weekend runs. I have held back because they are all 7 minute miles and such. I am too slow at this point for them. However, they have said that their run is not together but rather in the same area. They all run for a total of 60 minutes. They don't all run the same pace or distance, just the same time. For example, same starting place--they run out for 30 minutes then start back to beginning. Each time they try to get further than the last time, but it is all done in 60 minutes total. So I am planning on changing my run workouts to be for time and not focusing on distance. From what I read, this is a good way to do it for the endurance workouts. The drill workouts for running will be something new for me... anyone suggest any??

Edited by celticblde05 2006-12-20 7:46 PM
2006-12-20 7:51 PM
in reply to: #629253

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
You might try looking around for Century Rides in your area. These are group rides (it can be casual or whatever pace you want) that are social with no awards or times for places. They have different routes for people to take. For instance, if you are doing the full 100 miles then you will need to do the 50 mile route and then two 25 mile routes. The one I did had one 50 mile route and two different 25 mile routes. It gives you an event to train you for the race and you meet great people.

Working up to 50 or 100 miles was very taxing on the rump. Make sure you have a good biker pant (plenty of cushion).

2006-12-21 6:42 AM

User image

Regular
I love the time-based workout plans. I know that they are primary useful for building volume (not necessarily speed), but I have found that approach very easy to follow (once I got a watch to track time while I was training ).

I have my sights very firmly on the sprint tri distances. If I even think about trying to train for a bigger tri, I think it would just seem too large of a distance to cover (figuratively and literally). The distances are just so far out from my current abilities. Slow and steady and I have a chance of not getting discouraged.

Thankfully, we are staying in town for the Christmas season, but I am taking 11 days off, so I should have plenty of time to keep the training up.

Good job crafting your own plan. I just latched on to one of the plans here, and went with it. I read one book (Triathlon 101), which was ok, but the information wasn't really that enlightning. Our library doesn't have "SWIM BIKE RUN: TECHNIQUE, TRAINING, RACING", but I am going to hunt it down and check it out on your recommendation, Kelli.

Luckily we get hardly any snow here, even though it can get cold. So I am planning on just running/bikiing outside through the winter if I can stand it. I don't really have adequate supplies, but that is what the after-Christmas sales are for, right?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19