Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-03-22 10:02 AM
in reply to: #625451

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: enginerd's Group - FULL
gail: you should be proud with all the progress you've made on your recovery. it's been great being able to hear about it every day. impressive.

I love your graph with all the annotations. Makes it very easy to understand exactly what you were doing. My legs are buning just thinking about the hills at 42/23.

Jon: Feel free to pat yourself on the back once in awhile. You've earned it and in the meantime, we'll pat you on the back. You have done a great job with your swimming as well as your biking and running. And on top of all that, you have a finished basement.

I suppose I should answer the questions myself that I posed to everyone. Even though I've made bigger gains with my cycling, I think I'm most proud of my running, probably because I came from a running background. I've managed to run 2 halfs and a 20K trail race already this year and I never thought I'd think of a 13 mile run as being routine. My run volume isn't very high and I'm not the fastest out there, but i'm pround of my running nonetheless.

I plan to continue to ramp up my cycling volume in preparation for the AIDS ride. I want to increase my running volume a little bit in anticipation of wildflower. I'll focus a little bit on speed on the swim, although I'm primarily focused on endurance/base. Most importantly, I want to have fun with my training. It helps a lot to be able to do long bike rides with DW even if we're biking slowly. I'd rather bike slowly and enjoy it than bike faster and not.

Hopefully we'll hear from Jason, Richard, Jeff, and Gina too.

2007-03-22 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Gail, you don't know?!?!?  How about you went through surgery and rode that fine line of getting back to training but not over-doing it?  It seems that it would be very easy in that situation to either a) go back to training too quickly or too hard and reverse some (maybe all?) of the good from the surgery.  or b) get lazy while recovering and not go back with such obvious motivation like you did.  Even if you don't see it, I think I can speak for everyone and say we're very proud of you.

Jon, you definitely deserve to pat yourself on the back, you've earned that and more.  Your swimming truely is impressive, especially getting up before dawn to get it done.

Donato, your running really is impressive ...so is your cycling.  Yeah, basically looking at your training logs is just impressive.  I really like what you said about having fun in your training.  I have to find a way to do that.

Me - I'm most proud that I found a way to move my family back to CA.  I didn't think that would be possible for someone that barely graduated high school, never went to college and was lucky enough to find one job where I could afford to start a family in the first place.  Tri-wise - I'm just glad I'm still training, not as much as I should/want to be but I'm still training.  And even though I'm making trips to Cali with a truck full of stuff on 4/6 and 5/4 I'm still doing my triathlon on 4/22.  I'll be slow and it will hurt but I don't care, I plan on finishing with a big smile on my face!

My next three months?  I'll be trying to stay sane, just like Jeff's blog says.  Moving my family to a different state, selling my house, starting a new job in a new industry all the while still training!!! 

I must be nuts.

2007-03-23 7:36 AM
in reply to: #733474

User image

Master
San Francisco
Jason, you totally should be proud of of your new job and your move to CA. You've done great for yourself and your family. It'll be great to have you over here.

It is important for me to enjoy my training because I spend so much time doing that; the races, in some ways, are just the icing on the cake. Even though an ironman distance race may last 12, 15, or even 17 hours, think how many training hours it takes just to get to that point (300 or more).

Gail, I put together my own chart of my bike ride home yesterday from work with my wife. check it out. The little glitch was when I went to the rest room and I assume I lost satellite reception from my GPS.

(ridehome.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ridehome.jpg (82KB - 62 downloads)
2007-03-23 10:17 PM

User image

Hey, everyone, while we are talking about successes, I want to add a shout-out to Andrea and Lesley-Anne, who, in case you all don't know, happen to be the training/life partners of Donato and Jon.  Andrea's matching long Donato's bike workouts and will join him on the 600-mile Lifecycle ride, which is no easy route, let me tell you; I know firsthand!  And Lesley-Anne not only is training for the same half-iron that Jon is training for (as well as the dus, the sprints, and the Olys), but she also is a BT logger and member of a different mentor group, which is of course not as great as ours, but don't tell her that!    (She will probably respond to that herself...)

And, of course, during our time together so far, Richard became a triathlete, and Jason has kept off the cigarettes, in addition to all the other great successes that everyone has had!  Next we need to teach Gina to change a flat tire fast enough that she still stays ahead of her husband and to find Jeff a wonderful job near his current one so he doesn't have to find a new swim team for his up-and-coming triathletes.

2007-03-26 1:51 PM
in reply to: #735315

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hi Gail. Thanks for the shout-out to our significant others who endure right beside us.

Nice little summary. I hope when they call for new mentors you consider becoming one and help share your energy and enthusiasm.
2007-03-26 9:19 PM

User image

Thanks for such a lovely compliment!  All those years as a teacher, I guess!

I am heading out for Boston in the morning, followed by a visit to the parentals in Pittsburgh.   Hope to keep up my rehab/back-to-fitness training while I'm gone!

2007-04-04 11:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey everybody. I have GREAT news. I talked with the California company I really wanted to get a job with today, and they offered it to me. Originally they had been only asking me about joining there office in Bakersfield but today he asked whether I would rather be there (in Bakersfield) or Valencia where I interned last summer. Obviously I am thrilled with the office and the choices, but I do not know which way to go. Financially Bakersfield makes much more sense because housing is much cheaper but the "quality of life" seems MUCH higher in SoCal. Obviously right now I will not be able to save much (with school loans, and low salary) but I want to start investing.

Anyway, thought Id share the news.
2007-04-06 11:58 AM
in reply to: #749710

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Awesome news Richard!!   You've already got some contacts in socal so that would be great but I definitely hear you on the lower cost of living being attractive.  Well I guess having to decide between the two is a good problem to have.

Congratulations!!!

2007-04-06 12:15 PM

User image

Hey, guys -- most of you know from my logs, but I have officially been discharged by my surgeon.  I still have some nerve issues in my left leg (he says they should resolve within a year) and some stitch issues in the right leg, not to mention the long scars, but I now can only blame my lack of speed on my training, which I am slowly building up, according to the plan from "my" wonderful coach.  I will need to correct some of my gait issues and build up different muscles, after all these years with this disorder, and it is hard not to do too much since nothing really hurts anymore, but all in all I am on the right track, so to speak.

Anyway, special thanks to all of you for being so supportive while I have been largely sidelined and/or consigned to a cheerleader/backseat driver role.  It has been really really helpful to know that you were all reading my daily reports and cheering for me, too!

2007-04-16 8:15 AM

User image

So it looks as if our whole group (minus me) is racing this coming weekend!  Prompt race reports for those of us in the peanut gallery, please!
2007-04-16 2:00 PM

User image

Expert

I'm hoping the doctor will clear me to race......that would be a big time bummer!

How is everyone?

2007-04-23 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
2007-05-15 2:20 PM

User image

Hey, gang, word on the street is that the January mentor program is officially "over," so I wanted to take this time to thank our fearless leader Donato for getting us together and making a place for us to find new friends.

Some of the mentor groups are full of training advice with tons of techno talk, others went entirely silent on the forum lines as well as in the inspires.  Donato, you have done a great job being our friend and a role model rather than our task master or even our teacher, and I have much appreciated that (I would have lasted about one day with the mentor who told everyone in the group they had to go buy a HRM and report back regularly). 

I know I'm the only one of our group not yet racing this season, but I will ... thanks to all of you.  Know that if you're in the LA area you always have a place to stay for a few days (like before R's apartment is ready or after D/DW's Lifecycle ride). 

2007-05-25 6:39 PM
in reply to: #801545

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
2007-06-12 8:10 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Hi everyone. After the AIDS ride, I stayed with a friend in LA and then had a chance to meet with Gail at a great coffee shop in Sierra Madre. It was great to meet her and talk live.  Here's a picture.

This next weekend, I'll get a chance to meet Jason at the tri for fun in Pleasanton. Hopefully, I'll get to meet Richard at Big Kahuna later this year. How cool is that?

2007-12-30 11:59 AM

User image

Hey, gang, the New Year is upon us, and it's time to be accountable again to your old friends.  Donato and Jon have registered for IMs, Jeff and I have just started logging our training again (and Jeff has joined a new mentor group -- although Jessi is a friend of Donato's, we *know* his new group can't be as great as ours was), and Jason, Richard, and Gina have been MIA for a while.  Let us know if you'll be training/logging 2008 so we know to watch and/or cheer.  Auld lang syne and all that.  Happy New Year!

2008-01-01 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1122828

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hi Gail.  I hope everyone else responds too.  2007 was a good year.  I'm amazed at where I was a year ago and where I am now and what I've accomplished in 365 days.  I hope you all feel the same way about yourselves.  2008 should be a good one, plus we have one extra training day in the year
2008-01-01 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1122828

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA

Happy New Year everyone!

Overall I felt 2007 was a great year from a tri standpoint. It was my first year and now I am hooked. I am really pumped about 2008 and if I get to stay healthy it will be an awesome year. I feel our great group is one of the reasons 07 was such a good year. It's good to know someone will read your log and keep you under control. I have a tendency to over train so it has been good to have Gail keeping an eye on the volume. However, compared to Donato my volume is nothing so I guess it all depends on who you compare yourself too.

Now that I am working with a coach my training issues should be under control. My current hurdle is nutrition. More on that later...

I will keep logging this year and I hope the rest of the group will do so as well.

In peace,

Jon 

2008-01-01 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey Gang, happy new year!

2007 has been awesome for me also. I completed my first mini triathlon in January, qualified for Boston in April and ended my season with a HIM. I also was lucky to finally meet Gail at Zuma Beach morning swims and Donato at the Big Kahuna. Hopefully in 2008 I will meet the rest of yall!

My primary focus for 2008 is to strengthen my knee so I can begin training consistently again.
As far as races for 2008 I have commited to the Boston Marathon in April but would like to complete an ultra and an HIM in the summer/fall.

Enjoy the rest of the bowl games!

Rich

2008-01-30 5:26 PM

User image

Expert

Hey all, I just saw that you guys had come back and done some updates. I'm a little late but will throw my two cents in as well.

I feel that 2007 was a great year. I went through a lot of non-tri related things and still found the time to complete quite a few races including my first Oly and my first HIM. I'm very proud of that.

Since October I've been dealing with a few physical issues but have been slowly working towards regaining some of my fitness and being able to consistently stick to a plan. I'll be doing a reverse sprint in a few weeks and then am considering doing an Oly and then HIM. I have signed up for an Oly in September.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for being so supportive over the last year. It is true that I joined a new mentor group, but I haven't felt quite as connected as I did last year. I'd still be more apt to come back here and catch-up.....

Cheers to everyone and happy training!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11