Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-01-17 9:44 AM
in reply to: #625451

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Subject: RE: enginerd's Group - FULL
Really quick:  I got the call, I go back to Concord on 2/5.  Very busy today, but I'll try to write more later.

2007-01-17 11:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Hooray for Jason!  One step closer!
2007-01-18 6:33 PM

User image

Okay, I admit I'm totally jealous that you guys can bike, run, and swim, since I can't do any, but in reading all your info every day I have to wonder if anyone is on a periodized training program, and if not, why not.  You guys have a lot of aches and pains and reports of fatigue...maybe that's just the nature of blogging (it tends to encourage complaints), but wow, if I weren't laid up I'd be doing base training only in January, and you guys are working pretty darn hard without many rest days at the start of the year!  I'd hate to see you burn out early.  So I'm curious where y'all are getting your training programs (or if you're making them up).

I bought Joel Friel's book to read during rehab, but so far haven't had the heart to pick it up ... I hear it's got great advice on training schedules.  Anyone tried it?

2007-01-19 12:19 AM
in reply to: #660083

User image

Expert
gailg - 2007-01-18 4:33 PM

Okay, I admit I'm totally jealous that you guys can bike, run, and swim, since I can't do any, but in reading all your info every day I have to wonder if anyone is on a periodized training program, and if not, why not.  You guys have a lot of aches and pains and reports of fatigue...maybe that's just the nature of blogging (it tends to encourage complaints), but wow, if I weren't laid up I'd be doing base training only in January, and you guys are working pretty darn hard without many rest days at the start of the year!  I'd hate to see you burn out early.  So I'm curious where y'all are getting your training programs (or if you're making them up).

I bought Joel Friel's book to read during rehab, but so far haven't had the heart to pick it up ... I hear it's got great advice on training schedules.  Anyone tried it?

I am! I'm using one of Hal Higdon's 1/2 Mary programs. My race is on Feb. 4th so the mileage has been creeping up for some weeks now. I modified it by adding two days of swimming and biking although I don't usually make each of those. Obviously the running is the important thing for me right now. After the 1/2 I'm going to start a 16 week Oly plan tha will end up getting me to a race in early June, but I'm going to start riding some longer rides as I want to do the 62 mile Tour De Sewer on March 17th.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

2007-01-19 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

So a little more on the job update:  I'm now one of roughly 200 people going for 30 jobs which is still intimidating but it's better than being one of 800 like it was at first.  On February 5th I go in for 5 hours of assessment, basically teamwork exercises, leadership exercises etc.  I'm not guaranteed anything but it's hard to stop myself from getting excited at the prospect of moving back home.

Everybody: thanks for the well wishes, good thoughts and everything.  I really appreciate it.

Gail:  I'm using the 16 week beginner sprint program (swim focussed) from right here on bt.  It does not contain any time for weight training so I'm just trying to add that in where it seems appropriate.  I know I complain a lot on the blog, sorry about that, but I figure better there than out loud to my wife who already puts up with so much

Donato:  good luck this weekend!  Enjoy!

Richard:  good luck tomorrow!  I'm looking forward to hearing a first hand account of a first timer's triathlon.

Jeff: thanks for gettin' on me in the training logs.  I'm normally very self motivated but it always helps to be held accountable by others.  Especially when those others aren't just talking about what I should do, they're doing it themselves.

Gina:  this time out to CA I'm hoping to get a run in on Monday morning but it will have to be from my hotel room in Fremont.  If you have any suggestions for trails around Mission Blvd. & 880 I'd appreciate it.

Peace,

Jason

2007-01-19 12:21 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA

Okay, I admit I'm totally jealous that you guys can bike, run, and swim, since I can't do any, but in reading all your info every day I have to wonder if anyone is on a periodized training program, and if not, why not. You guys have a lot of aches and pains and reports of fatigue...maybe that's just the nature of blogging (it tends to encourage complaints), but wow, if I weren't laid up I'd be doing base training only in January, and you guys are working pretty darn hard without many rest days at the start of the year! I'd hate to see you burn out early. So I'm curious where y'all are getting your training programs (or if you're making them up).

I bought Joel Friel's book to read during rehab, but so far haven't had the heart to pick it up ... I hear it's got great advice on training schedules. Anyone tried it?

Great topic and it’s one I have been struggling with a little since I am not sure I am doing the right thing. I am currently not following a program. At this point I am just making sure that I get a decent balance between the three disciplines. I know that I eventually need to start using a training program. My plan is to get onboard around the middle of March. By then I can hopefully start to bike outside. I would not want to do a three hour ride inside on the spinning bike :-). I am looking for a 16-20 week plan since my HIM takes place the first weekend in August. I am hopping to get some input on a plan from the tri club I just joined, however, if any of you know of a good program please let me know.

In peace,
Jon

2007-01-19 11:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California

Hi Gail!

I'm following the Beginner 1/2 Ironman plan from BT, and I am in my base building phase.  I am tired and I know that it's a lot to take on with a toddler and a part time job.  I was playing catch up from when I was sick earlier in the month and I think thats why I'm feeling it now.  But also, my daughter has hit the age that she starts to assert her authority, talking back, not cooperating, etc etc.  It's a real drain on my nerves and I've almost had  a couple nervouse breakdowns this week as a result of her temper tantrums.  UGH!!

Jason: I don't know the Fremont area at all, as I live here in Pleasant Hill.  Sorry I can't help you out with running trails.

2007-01-19 11:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
And Jon: there are so many great training plans here on BT, tons!  You should at least check them out.  Makes it real convenient since it will appear right on your training log once you download it.
2007-01-20 12:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey yall

Sorry for my inactivity this past week but I have been busy getting back into the swing of things since coming home from Seattle. My week in Seattle was amazing with the tours and amazing seafood but what really suprised me was that in the downtown area (where we spent all our time) there were no fast food restaraunts except for McDonalds. Its neat that people dont eat much of that junk and that people were much more active than here in Oklahoma and Texas. Anyway it was a great trip but like all trips I am glad to be home!

Gail

I know what you are saying regarding the consistency of everyones training but I see it as a great thing that everyone is getting their year off to a good start.

For me I am running focused until the OKC marathon in April. It is my A race for the spring and most my goals revolve around it. My other goal for the spring is to become a respectable swimmer. In my training schedule I have 3 days of swimming and hopefully will add 1 day of cycling or spin class. I am still doing this swimming plan that progresses to a mile in 6 weeks that I found on the web. I just started my third week and it is progressing well. Once I finish the swim plan I hope to go back to basics and do more drills and smaller sets like yall suggested in earlier discussions. Thus my ideal schedule looks like this:
Monday - Swim
Tuesday - short run
Wednesday - Tempo run/swim
Thursday - Bike
Friday - semi-long run 2/swim
Saturday - OFF
Sunday - Endurance Run

Its alot of training but I have found that my body stays tired through the week but each day I work different muscles and avoid overuse injuries.

Richard

gailg - 2007-01-18 6:33 PM

2007-01-20 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Donato

Good luck on your half marathon tomorrow!!! Hope you finish strong

Richard
2007-01-20 12:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California

Good luck to YOU Richard!  Take no prisoners.

Gina

2007-01-22 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA

I bought Joel Friel's book to read during rehab, but so far haven't had the heart to pick it up ... I hear it's got great advice on training schedules. Anyone tried it?

Joel is coming to Spokane on the 22nd of February. I guess he is one of the best tri coaches ever but $85 for one evening is a bit too much I think. Have you started reading his book yet…?

In peace,
Jon
2007-01-22 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
That is a hefty price to pay to listen to someone teach from his book that you can read for a quarter the price....

I finally posted my race report for the indoor tri (Jeff Myers Challenge)..

Hope everyone had a good weekend and gets back to training. From reading yalls logs it sounds like a lot of us are coming down with a cold or other symptoms. For this week I plan to hit the pool 3-4 times and run 4 times. Tomorrow or the next day I should hit 100 miles running in January!!

A quick question for yall who train with others: I had been going to the pool by myself for the last month and have been able to do my workouts how I wanted too. This past weekend though a friend of mine (who taught me how to swim) asked if we could go to the gym together in the mornings. Reluctantly I told her yes. The reason I say reluctantly is that she has different goals than I do. She might swim a couple 100yds then either take a 5 minute break before starting again or quit after swimming 500yds in this manner as was the case today. My question to yall is how do I deal with this. Would you suggest continuing to go but working more on form and ignoring endurance or maybe add another swim day a week to do my workout?

Richard.

2007-01-23 10:08 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hi tri peeps. I'm back from Cabo. Been crazy busy at work yesterday so, just finished my race report this AM. posted here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Will catch up with everyone later today!
2007-01-23 1:51 PM
in reply to: #664278

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
rjl171 - 2007-01-22 9:28 PM

That is a hefty price to pay to listen to someone teach from his book that you can read for a quarter the price....

I finally posted my race report for the indoor tri (Jeff Myers Challenge)..

Hope everyone had a good weekend and gets back to training. From reading yalls logs it sounds like a lot of us are coming down with a cold or other symptoms. For this week I plan to hit the pool 3-4 times and run 4 times. Tomorrow or the next day I should hit 100 miles running in January!!

A quick question for yall who train with others: I had been going to the pool by myself for the last month and have been able to do my workouts how I wanted too. This past weekend though a friend of mine (who taught me how to swim) asked if we could go to the gym together in the mornings. Reluctantly I told her yes. The reason I say reluctantly is that she has different goals than I do. She might swim a couple 100yds then either take a 5 minute break before starting again or quit after swimming 500yds in this manner as was the case today. My question to yall is how do I deal with this. Would you suggest continuing to go but working more on form and ignoring endurance or maybe add another swim day a week to do my workout?

Richard.

Richard,

That is a tricky problem you have. It’s hard to give good advice without knowing any of the persons involved and how they might react. That said; here is what I would do. If I am not mistaken you use a swim training schedule, correct? If that is the case the solution to your problem might be a zip-lock bag! I would first of all, in a casual way, communicate to my friend that I am following a schedule to improve my endurance in the water. Second, I would write down or printout the workout I have planned for the day and put it in a zip-lock bag and bring it with me to the pool. This way my friend will see the workout my schedule calls for and might realize that I don’t have time for a five minute break every four laps. Putting the workout in zip-lock bag and bringing it to the pool is also a god way for you to remember everything the program asks you to do especially as your workouts gets longer and you start to incorporate different things into your swim workouts.

Sorry if it doesn’t sound like much but this is the best I can do…

In peace,
Jon
2007-01-23 3:01 PM

User image

Way to go, Richard and Donato!!!  Great reports both.

Jon, that sounds like a heck of a lot of money ... what do you get, just a seat?  I paid only $20 to hear Paula Newby-Fraser (women's record holder at Kona, of course), and $20 to hear Bob Roll (needs no introduction, I'm sure), and I got dinner and a bunch of swag, too! 

Richard, since your friend asked if you want to "go to the gym together," then just figure you are going there together, but not doing the same workout (for ex., Donato and his wife didn't "run together," although they clearly ran that half "together".  You can chat as you pick up a kickboard or get into a lane, and then again when you get out and dry off, but watch the pace clock and take off when you should, and just do your workout.  I do that with some of my friends, esp. my slower friends, and it works out fine -- just be upfront about it with her. 

Gina,  hope you are feeling better, and that Gianna's not too temperamental this week while you are feeling poorly!  Just keep telling yourself, she'll grow out of it as long as you are consistent in reminding her what's appropriate and not appropriate (says the professor of child development).

2007-01-23 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California

Hey everyone!

I'm feeling much better even though I have a major lingering cough.  Today I had a long workday (since I only work a couple days a week they are longgggg), so tomorrow I will hit the gym again!  I can't wait.  I've missed being able to post logs and check Donato and Richard's race reports which I will do right now. 

2007-01-23 11:46 PM

User image

Expert

Congratulations to both Richard and Donato for a couple of great races!

Richard, I sometimes go to the gym with co-worker/friend and we usually talk about what we are going to do while we there and if we're going to do the same type things then we'll chat on the bike or make comments while we're running but generally don't talk when we're in the pool. I'm surprised there's enough lanes that people aren't either waiting and/or splitting the lanes. I would just be up front about it. Honesty usually works the best. I'm doing x amount of sets and will be done in about x minutes. After that I think chit chat all you want!

2007-01-26 10:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey thanks for yalls advice. Thankfully it just worked itself out and am able to do similar workouts with them but at longer distances.

Hope yall have a good weekend with lots of training!!

Richard
2007-01-29 3:15 PM

User image

Expert

Where's are group??

I was gone for 5 days and saw one post. I know that there was some sickness going around, is everyone still down? What's next on everybody's agenda? How is the training going?

I'm set to do my first 1/2 marathon on Sunday and I believe that Donato has one as well. Anyone else?

2007-01-29 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Well, I'm back as of today.  Been out of town and glad to be back on the program.  I'm running on Sunday too, the Kaiser Permanente 5K in San Francisco.  I'm pretty sure Donato is doing the 1/2 mary at the same place.  Good luck to both of you with your races.  I was just thinking to myself while running this morning that race season is finally here again!!!!! So happy. 

2007-01-29 7:56 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hi everyone. Sorry I've been a bit remiss in posting here. Work has kept me super busy thanks to 3 new hires/contractors I brought in this week and am letting two go as well as two simultaneous audits occuring at the same time. But enough about work already!

Yes, I have the half this weekend. Hopefully I'll get to meet up with Gina and other BTers. Regardless good look to you both Gina and Jeff! How ya both feeling for your race?

I managed to do a brick this weekend and then a 12 mile run yesterday. headed to the pool soon.

What's everybody else up to?
2007-01-29 8:11 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Totally different topic for everyone - shopping! I have to admit that I love shopping for tri stuff. Anyone know of any sales going on?

here are a few I know of -

trisports.com has up to 20% off right now. Coupon codes are:
*SAVE 10% on your order of $50-$114.99 (TRI-10)!

*SAVE 15% on your order of $115-$349.99 (TRI-15)!!

*SAVE 20% on your order of $350 or more (TRI-20)!!!

Excel sports has some sale/clearance items here - http://www.excelsports.com/esam.html

nasbar and performance bike have their sale of the week going on.
2007-01-29 11:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey yall, I am glad we are all back and healthy.

Good luck to all yall running this weekend!! knock em-dead especially Jeff on your first half marathon. The miles are going to fly by with the crowds cheering you on! I hope all of you meet your highest goals for the race.

As for me, I am still focused on the marathon. Unfortunately, I cancelled my trip to Dallas for a half marathon next weekend in favor of buying a set of used aerobars sometime soon. I am thinking I am going to buy the profile design carbon strykes (I have found a pair for $80) but would like to hear any suggestions. I am kind of sad to miss the half but since I just finished the triathlon a couple weeks ago, I am still excited about daily training.

Richard

2007-01-30 11:24 AM

User image

Hey, everyone ... glad you are getting back on schedule!

I'm continuing my rehab routine of walking, some spinning, and strength/stretching, and I have added some elliptical and even a little jogging into the mix, although now I'm fighting a heavy chest cold that has left me with zero respiratory capacity.  I look pretty scary, but I am doing well overall.  No race plans till summer, I think...just volunteering till then.  I hope all of you take some time to volunteer at at least one race this year -- everyone who races should give some time in return!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11