Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-02-12 12:32 PM
in reply to: #625451

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Subject: RE: enginerd's Group - FULL
Gail, very cool action shot!  Don't you just love flattering wetsuit pics?

2007-02-12 12:39 PM
in reply to: #688053

User image

ginac007 - 2007-02-12 10:32 AM Gail, very cool action shot! Don't you just love flattering wetsuit pics?

LOL -- I never would have posted it, except Jason's achievement was worth it! 

Donato, I'm working on a dress-up photo. 

2007-02-12 3:16 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks Donato, it was a great time and I think we all (my family and I) got a kick out of wearing the kilts.

It looks like everybody is well on their way to getting into shape for the race season. So who's got the next race? I don't have anything on the calendar for at least a month.....maybe more.

2007-02-12 5:47 PM
in reply to: #688410

User image

Master
San Francisco
elheffe99 - 2007-02-12 1:16 PM

It looks like everybody is well on their way to getting into shape for the race season. So who's got the next race? I don't have anything on the calendar for at least a month.....maybe more.

I think Gina has a race on her calendar this weekend...
2007-02-15 8:26 AM

User image

Okay, wow, everyone's logs are scary this week -- lots of fatigue and soreness! 

This morning I got an e-newsletter from my coaching team, which talked about season planning and mentioned Joe Friel's 3 types of training plans.  I've been reading the book during my rehab period so I can return to training much smarter.

1. Random:  do what you feel like every day.  Weather and social opportunities (e.g., group rides, masters swim) significantly affect the choice.  Friel says this is common and appropriate for new triathletes.
  2. Mixed:  Vary the workouts (e.g., hills, intervals, LSD, etc.) so that you do a variety each week, every week.  Workouts tend to be the same, or build in intensity, each week in a linear pattern.  Friel says this is better than random training for athletic performance but also is likely to lead to overtraining and injury.  (Denial that you are overtraining, BTW, is one of the symptoms of overtraining...)
  3. Periodized:  A plan that systematically stresses the body slightly and then gives it recovery so you can adapt.  Friel says periodization "involves arranging the workouts in such a way that elements of fitness achieved in an earlier phase of training are maintained...while new ones are addessed and gradually improved ... small changes are introduced into workouts typically during three- to eight-week periods."  For a season, this type of training, IMHO, requires either a good coach or a heck of a lot of time to educate yourself.
So, my question of the week from the injured-reserve bench -- which one are you?  Take an objective look at your logs, your goals, your body, and the inspirations you are giving each other for training hard, and BE CAREFUL out there ... it is only February, and you do NOT want five-inch incisions down each leg like I have, even though it is quite a fashion statement. 
2007-02-15 9:23 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hi peeps. What's going on with everyone? We're only at mid-february; still very early in the year. How's the motivation? How's the fatigue? Sounds like a lot of you are making some impressive gains. What's exciting?

Personally, I'm a little tired so I'm taking a rest day today. Usually, something gets in the way of my schedule and I'm "forced" to take a rest day so i don't directly schedule days off, but as Jon noted in my blog, I haven't really taken a day off now in 10 days or so. Ah, rest... Plus, works been crazy and I need it as a mental rest day as much as anything.

My wife decided to do the AIDS/Lifecycle ride with me so that's exciting. We'll spend a lot of time training together for it which is much more fun than doing it all solo.

I finally pulled the trigger (or really clicked the mouse...) to register for the Full Vineman in early August. I must be crazy, but my races give me a lot of motivation to structure my workouts to reach a goal. Plus, I like to push myself and if I have some missteps or failings along the way, that's okay since it's all a part of the journey.

2007-02-15 11:21 AM

User image

Expert

Hey hey hey.

Gail, in response to your email I'm going to go with option 4 for this week, which would be do nothing. Thanks you, thank you very much!

Seriously though, I think I've been doing #2. For the Tri I did last year and the 1/2 Mary I did a few weeks ago I followed plans on the internet that I think built in itensity over the weeks and the tapered off for the races. Starting on Monday I'm going to be doing a 16 week Oly plan off of BT. My guess is that it would fall under #2 as well.

Keep up the good work everyone, soon the season will be here!

2007-02-15 11:57 AM
in reply to: #691443

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA

Gail,

I best fit into the #2 category. Each week look the same as far as what discipline(s) I do each day. I feel I need to correct two things. First, I need to cut back on my swim distance. I will not swim 1,000 + before my masters class. I think I am logging too much distance too early in the season. Second, I need to mix-up my run workout. I know that some of that will come automatically when I start running outside. But I need to start doing some structured run workouts.

Thanks for keeping an eye out. I appreciate it. It means that this mentor group concept is actually working. I have taken Friday and Tuesday off from work mainly to work on my house but I will also spend some time putting a more structured training plan together.

Six more hours and then my five day weekend will start!

In peace,
Jon

2007-02-15 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California

Hey all!  Yes, I am racing this weekend.  A 10K trail run.  My first 10k (as a race) and first trail event as well.  I'm hoping the good weather we're having holds for just a few more days.

Gail:  I think I would put myself in category #2.  I'm following a BT training plan but modifying it slightly to fit my work/family schedule.  The only real fatigue I'm feeling is emotional.  I have a lot of things looming over me right now and my only escape is training.  It's the only time my mind stops worrying and I can let go.  Oh, I hope I don't put you all in a downer, I will survive!  I'm trying to learn the periodization training concept and from another BT'er I learned that I should should change my training plan to end on my A race ( which is Cancun 70.3) and be in a base phase from now until that 20 week plan will begin.  I should also use my other races as a part of my training to build me up to my A race.  So, I shall re-adjust.

Donato:  that's a mighty big step up to full Vineman!  By the consistency you've shown in your logs I know you should be well prepared.  I guess this means you won't be doing the Donner Lake tri now.  It's funny, when I saw you were doing that one I was thinking about switching from the Rancho Seco race that same weekend to Donner since we have a family home in Truckee.  At any rate, congratulations.

2007-02-15 8:48 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Gail: right now, I'd say I'm in category 2. It's early in the season so i've just been growing my mileage with my swim and my bike and trying to just maintain my level with my run. When I lay out my schedule for a specific event (last year it was really with my marathons and this year it will be esp. for Vineman), I was in category 3. i set up goals for each week, with gains for 3 weeks and then cutback for 1 week. As my long runs went over 20 miles, I alternated with a 20+ mile LSD week and a half that distance week following. For my second mary, i was able to do back to back weekends with 20+ miles though. I think periodization is important for all the disciplines, but I think with the impact that running does to your body, that needs it the most, then cycling, and then running. I'd be curious what you all have to say. now that I signed up for Vineman, I need to lay out my periodization schedule from now all the way to August.

Jon: enjoy your 5 day weekend you lucky dog! Monday is not even a holiday for me

Gina: hey, have fun with the race. Don't expect your times to be as fast as a road race. Terrain can be quite varied and footing can be spotty. Might be on single track trails so passing can be challenging esp. when there is 2 way traffic on out and back sections! I did 3 trail races last year and hope to do as many this year. They can be very enjoyable. Good luck to you!

Re: donner and vineman, I actually still hope to do donner. it's 3 weeks before vineman and it'd be an oly distance, so that might work out as my last race hurrah before I taper. I'll need to work out my schedule though to be sure. i like to use many of my races as training for my A races. in fact, I kinda think of all of last year as a macro base building period for this year (it was only a year ago from this month I bought a bike and started doing swim workouts after 20 years since I had done either. So, in reality, I'm very much a beginner too) and my attempt at vineman. I'll have to see how it goes...

Edited by enginerd 2007-02-15 9:36 PM
2007-02-15 11:57 PM
in reply to: #691443

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey Everyone!

First off thanks everyone for your well wishes these past couple days. I am feeling much better after some rest and some trusty Mucinex!! I am going start running again my assigned distances tomorrow assuming I feel up to it. This weekend is supposed to be beautiful so I am looking forward to a nice run on Sunday

Gail: I would say that I am a level 2 right now. Each week my marathon training progresses a bit to reach the end goal in april. Also each week I follow the same routine: recovery day, tempo run, long run, longer run. I would say my swimming would also be a level 2 since it is also following a structured program to reach a mile. Just curious but where would you rank the majority of us in your opinion?

Donato: thats exciting that you are taking on the IM this year. That is really exciting to register and Vineman seems like a really scenic IM.

2007-02-16 2:42 PM
in reply to: #692478

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Gail, right now I'd say I'm in category 1 although it's not so much about the group rides etc. It's more about the fact that my wife works a few nights a week and so I have my son which means that if I am going to get a run or a bike ride in it will be indoors on a treadmill or trainer.  Since I have started running and riding outdoors I have found it to be a more difficult workout which to me means that I should do it as much as possible.  I do have a plan from bt on my calendar but now I really just use it for my weekly goals as far as training minutes in each discipline.

Donato, full Vineman!  And you just started swimming and riding a year ago, I'm very impressed.  You've got great training totals and consistency so I think you'll do great, I'm excited to follow your training.

Jeff, I wouldn't say you're doing nothing, just yesterday you put in a round of golf and some 12 oz. curls (my favorite workout).  Seriously though, you've got a plan and it looks like your head's right and for me that's the most important part.

Jon, enjoy your 5 days off.  I'm seriously jealous as I am in the middle of working 10 days straight :/  Have fun!

Gina, enjoy your race!  Sorry to hear you're in a funk but just think about how cool it will be to have your new house!  I'm jealous of that too, your own training room - you've got to be kidding me!

2007-02-16 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Richard, glad to see you're feeling better.  Hopefully it'll be nice enough to get on that bike pretty soon!
2007-02-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: #692554

User image

rjl171 - 2007-02-15 9:57 PM  Gail: I would say that I am a level 2 right now.... Just curious but where would you rank the majority of us in your opinion? 

LOL, usually I get the big bucks for analyzing people's behavior and grading/ranking people.    Unfortunately, though, even though people always ask for my objective opinion, it's rare that they really want to hear it!  Nevertheless, I think our mix is interesting, and it's fun to see how everyone plans and puts those plans in action. 

2007-02-16 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
I got a letter from the oil refinery today and my interview is on March 1 at 1:30 pm!!!!!!!!  As I understand it about 70 people will be interviewed for the 30 positions so it's still quite a bit of competition but at least it's only 70 now, down from the original 800!  Thanks for all the well wishes everybody, I really appreciate it.
2007-02-16 11:41 PM
in reply to: #693451

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
gailg - 2007-02-16 2:59 PM

rjl171 - 2007-02-15 9:57 PM  Gail: I would say that I am a level 2 right now.... Just curious but where would you rank the majority of us in your opinion? 

LOL, usually I get the big bucks for analyzing people's behavior and grading/ranking people.    Unfortunately, though, even though people always ask for my objective opinion, it's rare that they really want to hear it!  Nevertheless, I think our mix is interesting, and it's fun to see how everyone plans and puts those plans in action. 

Oh come on!  You know people just love to hear the honest truth! 

2007-02-17 12:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey Jason thats great news. These next two weeks are going to seem like two months for as long as you have been waiting on it. Good luck and keep us informed how it goes!

Gina: good luck on your race tomorrow morning. It sounds like it should be a nice one

Gail, the truth, is what sets us free jk

Edited by rjl171 2007-02-17 12:42 AM
2007-02-17 12:15 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Richard: glad to hear you are feeling better. Good luck on your run.

Jason: that's great news on the interview. We're all pulling for you.

Gina: hope your race went well. looking forward to the race report

Jeff: sorry your Friday was so busy. Hope you get some training time in this weekend.

Jon: nice job with the swimming. Hope the work on your basement goes quickly.

Gail: hey, did you have a different avatar this morning? see you have a beach swimsuit pic in your album (that's a hint for all the guys to check it out - HOT! and those were your non-athlete days!). Hope the leg stops leaking!
2007-02-20 11:03 AM

User image

Hey, gang --

Glad you like my new avatar.  I figured since I can't find a dress-up picture, at least I should show you one where I am not wearing sunglasses.

My doctor gave me the all-clear to start training, so of course I went out this morning and did a sprint triathlon.  Okay, NOT, although all that walking has made me feel like I could.

What I DID do, though, was call my favorite coach to help build me a personalized training plan so that I don't overdo it, or underdo it for that matter.  I plan to do whatever he says, and "consistency" will mean following the plan including recovery days ... so you train-till-you-collapsers better not call me a slacker! 

Thanks for helping me get this far!!! 

2007-02-20 3:38 PM

User image

Expert

How do groupo!

I thought I'd make an appearance since I've been a bit of an MIA lately. It sounds like everyone is coming along nicely and having some good things going on. That's great, and is definitely motivating.

I started my new plan yesterday so I shouldn't have any crazy gaps like I did last week, for quite a while.

Keep up the good work!

2007-02-20 10:08 PM
in reply to: #696861

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
gailg - 2007-02-20 9:03 AM

so you train-till-you-collapsers better not call me a slacker! 

What choo talkin about Willis?  Glad to hear you got the doctor's all clear. 

Jeff, glad your back on the grid!

Edited by ginac007 2007-02-20 10:09 PM

2007-02-27 11:10 AM

User image

Hey, gang, it is the end of the month and time to account for yourself and set new goals!  I met my Feb. goals (run one mile straight, 20-mile bike ride).  I am waiting to talk to Coach Ian to set March goals.  What are your March goals?
2007-02-27 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey yall!!

I figure I should add something since I havent written on the group wall in over a month.

Gail: that is really awesome that you ran your first mile yesterday and hit your biking goals for february. I am curious to see your march goals

For myself: I had a great February. Only missed 1 running workout, will run 141 miles by wednesday and had a long swim of 1.2 miles and nothing on the bike (oops).

For March:
Run: 150 miles
Swim: improve efficiency by incorporating more 100yd repeats.
Bike: 100-150 miles (this is a wild hope of convincing myself to get on the bike)

Most importantly though I want to remain injury free and GET A JOB!!!

Richard
2007-02-27 5:37 PM

User image

Expert

Howdy Peeps!

I'd say I had a good February. I completed my first 1/2 Mary and then took about a week off and am currently in my second week of a 16 week Oly plan.

My goals for March are to rigorously follow the plan, so I can be well prepared down the road for the race in June. I need to pay special attention to the swimming as I think it's definitely my weak link right now. It's also the easiest for me to become unmotivated for.

BTW Gail, I was looking at my plan a little more in depth and I think that is falls more under you category 3 of your previous question regarding what type of training we're doing.

The first month it has 10% increases in work load until week 4 where you back off. The following month start the first week where you were in the previous months 3rd week. Then the next two you build and then back off in week 4.

I think that's what you were talking about in regards to periodization.

I hope everyone is doing well!

2007-02-27 6:11 PM

User image

Jeff (et al.)

I think all the BT plans are periodized for the length of the plan.  I have realized what I'm most interested in is how to periodize the year/season.  For example, Jeff was training at half mary running volume at the end of January, but his Oly plan (which is described as a volume-builder) starts off with runs of 24 min, 32 min, 40 min. in the first week.  Is that enough to keep the half mary fitness?  And if not, how do you decide how much to add to avoid overtraining?  I have this problem a lot, especially with swimming when a plan tells me to swim for like 24 minutes.  For me that is pretty much a warmup and a few laps of drills!  I suspect the answer is more complicated than any of us knows (and probably too complicated to fit with these kinds of pre-written programs) ... ultimately why I called a coach to help me.  I really don't want to overtrain, or undertrain and get injured at an event, all things considered!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11