BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kelpeng's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2006-12-27 2:59 PM
in reply to: #633862

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Any good triathlon loot for the holidays??

Hi Kelly,

I always tell everyone not to get me anything for Christmas, but my wife did get me ear muffs for when I run because somehow a headband always slips off my head, and I don't like a full hat unless the temp gets down to the low teens. I have some smartwool socks also, and they are nice and warm! As long as my ears and feet are warm, I'm very happy running in the cold weather.

The Jets gave me a nice present by winning on Christmas, and now they just have to win Sunday to get to the playoffs. I hope the Giants lose Saturday (which will help the Pack)because I'm not a Giant's fan and I'm getting tired of their drama. I'll be pulling for the Packers this weekend.

I have some questions about my half marathon training, but I will post them later when I get home.

Anthony

2006-12-27 6:58 PM
in reply to: #633862

User image

antigo wisconsin
Hi!

I got some neat stuff for Christmas. I got a Pearl Izumi wind vest (in screaming yellow - visibility because I ride on rural roads), some Under Armour workout clothes and the Triathlete Training Bible.

Santa brought my me and my wife three Spinervals dvds.

Santa also brought me a cold, so I've been laying low. Hopefully a couple more days and I can begin working out again.

Terry

Edited by tajarl 2006-12-27 6:58 PM
2006-12-27 9:09 PM
in reply to: #625452

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kelpeng's Group - FULL

Hi Kelly,

So I wanted to ask your opinion on 1/2 marathon training. I have my first one on March 4th, so in about 8 weeks. The longest race I've ever done is 10K, and my goal is to finish and hopefully not have to walk at all. Most half mary plans have you running 5 days a week, so I tried following a plan for a couple weeks, but running on consecutive days felt like too much. The distance was OK, but the lack of rest days was hard; my joints are not as young as they used to be . So I'd like to do like I've done in the past with 3 runs a week: A 3 or 4 mile run with some hill repeats in the middle, a 3 or 4 mile run with 1or 2 miles in the middle at 5K race pace, and an LSD on the weekend, increasing the distance 10% a week or less. Last weekend I did 8.25 miles (my longest run ever) at a pretty slow pace and felt really good afterwards, so this weekend I would like to try 9 miles and see how I feel. I will also try to bike once or twice a week. Do you think that will be enough to get me ready, or should I do more or something else?

Hope I haven't rambled too much, Anthony

2006-12-28 1:11 PM
in reply to: #634691

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi Terry,

Hope you are feeling better today. Which Spinervals DVDs did you get? I only have one, and honestly it's a little dull for me. I need to get a new one.

2006-12-28 1:19 PM
in reply to: #634785

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi there,

You're not rambling, don't worry. First off, I must readily admit that I am no kind of running expert. But, I've been on this site a long time now and have read a lot about others' training plans so hopefully can provide some advice.

I am right there with you with the joints. I have bad ones; really bad ones (particularly my left knee). I try not to run on consecutive days for that reason. Honestly, I think your proposed schedule will serve you very well. Just be sure to get that longer run in on the weekend, and you'll be fine. Having never run a half marathon, I don't have personal experience, but I've heard many people say that even if he/she has never run the actual race distance before, they still get through it on race day largely due to adrenaline. For example, friend of mine ran a full marathon last fall but his longest training run was only about 17 miles. He was very concerned about the race, but ended up doing just fine and only walked the water stations.

Your plan should have you covering the 13 miles distance in training well before the race comes around, so you should be just fine. I don't follow my training plan to the letter mainly because I don't have time, but also because my body just can't take running 5 or 6 days a week. It sounds like you are doing a similar adjustment based on what your body is telling you, and that is the best way to train, IMO.

2006-12-28 1:23 PM
in reply to: #634345

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
amschrod - 2006-12-27 2:59 PM

I always tell everyone not to get me anything for Christmas, but my wife did get me ear muffs for when I run because somehow a headband always slips off my head, and I don't like a full hat unless the temp gets down to the low teens. I have some smartwool socks also, and they are nice and warm! As long as my ears and feet are warm, I'm very happy running in the cold weather.

Excellent! I still haven't used my smartwools, but maybe tonight. I so much prefer to run outside, but staying warm is a challenge.

The Jets gave me a nice present by winning on Christmas, and now they just have to win Sunday to get to the playoffs. I hope the Giants lose Saturday (which will help the Pack)because I'm not a Giant's fan and I'm getting tired of their drama. I'll be pulling for the Packers this weekend.

Excellent again! It's always nice to have extra fans pulling for the mighty Packers! Of course, even if the Giants lose, if the Packers don't beat the Bears, it's all over. So, all together now--Go Pack! Boo Giants! Boo Bears!

2006-12-28 7:24 PM
in reply to: #635487

User image

antigo wisconsin
Hi Kelly

the spinervals are 8.0 recovery&technique 16.0 areo base builder and 23.0 time saver 1. I think we will give this a try
2006-12-28 8:00 PM
in reply to: #635487

User image

antigo wisconsin
by the way I'm sure you know this but the packer game is on at 7:00pm nye. terry
2006-12-28 8:09 PM
in reply to: #635981

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

I heard that, and frankly it kind of stinks!! At least when it was to be at noon, there was a good chance I'd be able to watch it. But we'll probably be at the NYE party thing by 7 pm... What is a sad little Packer fan to do??? *sigh*

Thank goodness for TiVo.

2006-12-28 8:52 PM

New user

Hi All-

Hope every one enjoyed the Holidays. I still have not worked out yet. I am going to start training when my children go back to school on January 2nd.

I;ve been spending time researching the waterproof MP3 players. I really want one but it seems that the technology has not been perfected yet. Guess I will have to continue to hum while I swim..lol

I plan on starting my training with swimming for a week or two. Since I love to swim this should help get me back into a routine of wanting to work out. After the swim I will get back on the stationary bike (too cold and soon too snowy to ride a real bike) and I will walk.....and yes....one day learn how to run!

I hope everyone is doing well and has a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Cris
2006-12-29 12:43 PM
in reply to: #636020

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi Cris,

Good to hear from you! I'm also very interested in the underwater mp3 players but have the same feeling as you. They're just not quite there yet with the technology, I think. Maybe next year sometime.

Enjoy your time off with your kids! Happy new year!

2006-12-29 1:34 PM

Hi Everyone:
With the holidays and this cold that I can't quite seem to shake I've been MIA for a little while here but hoping to dedicate this weekend to resting up for a new training season starting on Monday. All this Jets and Packers talk has me wishing my Bills were doing better this year (I'm a Buffalo transplant from 4 years ago). Everyone have a happy new year.
2006-12-29 7:18 PM
in reply to: #635485

User image

Expert

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the good advice regarding my half mary training. I'm sure you're right, but I think I worry too much because I lack some confidence. I wasn't sure that I would finish my first 10K, or my first sprint tri, or my first oly either.

About the swim MP3 player, that does sound interesting because, to tell you the truth I really don't like swim training. If I could swim in a lake, I would love the swim training, but the pool is tough because I just don't like training indoors. I think I might like music for swimming even though I don't run with music.

BTW, if the Packers are still in it Sunday night, I think you should stay home and watch the game, because if you don't, Brett will be mad at you

Happy New Year everyone!

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2006-12-29 7:19 PM
2006-12-30 8:46 AM
in reply to: #636668

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi there! Thanks for checking in! Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Hopefully the rest weekend will help. I think a lot of people (myself included) are just sort of coasting into the new year, no worries!

Happy New Year, and see you next week!

2006-12-30 8:49 AM
in reply to: #636942

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
amschrod - 2006-12-29 7:18 PM

BTW, if the Packers are still in it Sunday night, I think you should stay home and watch the game, because if you don't, Brett will be mad at you

*gasp* I can't have Brett being mad at me!! What should I do?? Seriously, I'm totally peeved that the NFL changed the game time. I'm certain I'll be taking frequent breaks from the swimming and water sliding to check the score... (pathetic!)

Happy new year to you too!

2006-12-30 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Happy new year to all!

Good morning everyone

Just wishing all of you a very happy and healthy new year!

We are off on a mini-vacation for the next two days, so I may be MIA again. I'm not sure if the hotel has an internet terminal or not. If not, I'll "see" you on Monday!

2007-01-01 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Goals/resolutions?

So, it's that day again...What are your goals/resolutions/hopes for the years? On the tri front, I resolve to complete an olympic distance race this year. I actually registered for it the other day since the fee was only $35 before 12/31. So 8/19 is the big day!!

And of course, there's the standard "must lose 10 lbs, preferably 15." Same song, different year.

On the home front, we simply MUST get more done on updating our house. We haven't done a whole lot in the three years we've lived here, and I'm not sure how much longer I can stand to look at this hideous wallpaper.

Anyone else care to share?

2007-01-01 8:52 PM

New user

Hi All and Happy New Year!

This year will bring many changes for me. I will be going back to Weight Watchers this week (the only eating plan that works for me). I also will start to work out this week. I plan to enter a Sprint Tri that will be in my hometown in early July.

After 7 months off I will be starting a new job in 2 weeks. I'm not sure how I;m going to juggle a full time job, 3 teenage boys, and workouts. Although I do think I'm in the perfect group for support.

Good Luck to all with your hope and dreams for 2007

Cris
2007-01-02 3:02 PM

I finally am company free and got my house organized after the craziest three weeks. I am starting tomorrow. Stood on the scale today and found that I gained a little more than expected over the past few weeks of an almost sedentary life filled with family, food and drinks! So the 10 lbs that I thought I needed to lose has now moved up to atleast fifteen by race season. I am attempting to train for a few short 5k's and three sprints with hopefully an olympic distance at the end of the season. I have not signed up yet because I need to see how my sciatica holds out. Santa brought me some nice cold weather running gear and a new indoor bike trainer! I need a real push this season though because I lost my trainer partner who is a great athlete and has about 8 yrs of tri experience. Happy New Year and keep training!
2007-01-02 8:14 PM

User image

antigo wisconsin
Hello all let me tell you how my run went this afternoon on my treadmill.I got a good start and was hitting my stride when my dog started choking on a piece of rubber ball she was chewing on, she is ok now. so then I got back going now the darn thing is slipping when I go too fast so know I have to wait for a service call.

Kelly I was wondering if you hear about the cellcom green bay marathon on may 20 07 they also have half marathon and a 5k we did the 5k last year just because the runers get to run in lambeau field.

terry
2007-01-02 8:57 PM

New user

Hi All-

So sorry to hear about your day Terry. Mine didn;t go much better. I got Locked out of my house for the entire day. Got stressed and walked to the grocery store to get a muffin (not on my diet) . Had I been wearing my sneakers I would have atleast gone for a longer walk. Instead I just sat on my front porch.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day! LOL

Cris

2007-01-02 9:58 PM
in reply to: #639678

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Cool--a new trainer! Congrats! I'm certain I'm in the same boat with weight, but since my scale needs a new battery, I don't have to find out for sure!

I signed up for three races in the last few days, so hopefully I won't have any injury issues. One of those races is an end-of-season oly, similar to your plan.

We'll have to be your virtual substitute training partners!

2007-01-02 10:01 PM
in reply to: #640042

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Wow, sorry to hear about the dog choking and the treadmill slipping! Glad the dog is ok now. When I have days like that, I figure it's just not in the stars for me to work out.

Yes, I've heard of that run at Lambeau. I'd like to do the 5k, but that's a looong way to go for 3.1 miles. Maybe someday if I happen to be in the area then. I have family near there, so it's possible.

2007-01-02 10:03 PM
in reply to: #640079

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Geez, it's the day for mishaps in this group! Glad to hear you at least got a muffin out of the deal! (Oh wait, that's not a very mentor-ish thing to say, is it?) Locked out the entire day? As in, say, 8 hours?? wow.

Tomorrow has got to be better for you and Terry!

2007-01-02 11:39 PM
in reply to: #640144

User image

Expert

Well, I didn't have a real smooth day at work today, but I did manage to squeeze in a run during lunch, so that was cool.

Cris: are you planning on Mossman in Norwalk? I may do that one also.

Lea: I don't have a training partner, but BT is great because I learned everything I know right here, and I keep on learning, and now with this mentor program, it's even better.

Terry: They have a 5K where you run in Lambeau? That sounds great. There's a 5K that ends in Shea Stadium (where the Mets play), but I've never been able to work it into my schedule. Someday I'll do it though.

Kelly: Here's to an injury free 2007!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kelpeng's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8