Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2006-12-15 5:41 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: kelpeng's Group - FULL

My username is kelpeng, and my first name is Kelly. I live in a suburb of the Twin Cities, Minnesota.

I'm married with 2 daughters, 2 stepsons, and 2 dogs, and I work full-time. I have three seasons of triathlon racing under my belt, all sprint distance (16 races). I'm a very average MOP-er, and am totally fine with that. Running is my major limiter, and I have chronic issues with my IT band.

I try to follow the training plans available here, but I'm not super strict about them. I just do the best I can in the time I have available. I'm "lightly technical" in that  have a Garmin and another HRM, and few other gadgets, but I do not carefully analyze the results. They're more for tracking than anything. This offseason I am trying to be a little more structured, particularly with running. I hope to move up to an oly next season, IT band permitting.

Weightloss has been a constant struggle for me. I yo-yo up and down about 10 pounds. Currently I am up, and am trying to get back down again. I love food, so it's hard. I'd love to lose about 15 pounds before next season.

Edited by kelpeng 2006-12-20 11:39 AM

2006-12-19 2:38 PM
in reply to: #625452

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: kelpeng's Group - OPEN
Hi Kelly! I would like to join your group ... Autumn mentioned you (said you are great) so you come with great references!

I'm a 45 year old, single woman with two jobs, 4 dogs and a training schedule that I cram in between everything else. This year (2006) was my first season off the couch. I started swimming in April, running in July and bought Bridget the bicycle just a couple of weeks ago. I've done 4 sprint relays ... always the swim, except for Wilmington NC where I did the swim and the run.

My next race of any kind is the 5k Resolution Run on January 1.
After that is the Myrtle Beach Half in the middle of February.
First FULL tri sprint is 3/31 ... so I'll be able to finish the first quarter mentoring with a race! WOOHOO!

I'm low tech. I do not have a HRM. I just broke my sports watch band, so I'm relegated to carrying it any time I run. I do have a computer on the bike. I have taken a modified version of Higdon's Novice Half training schedule and modified it for tri-sport training with Monday being my complete rest day. I'm having "runners knee" issues, so I'm doing my long runs on Sunday on a groomed running trail rather than on asphalt or concrete. My plan is abbreviated for time, so my longest scheduled run is 10 miles. I may end up walking some of the half ... but I'm perfectly okay with that.

Weightloss so far is about 25 pounds, but the reshaping of what's left has been amazing. I'm NEVER going to be a really nutrition conscious person, but I think I can still lose another 20-25 through moderation. I like food and beer, and I'm okay with that.

So far, I've been a BOPer ... which is okay ... and I fully anticipate that I may end up DFL sometime before it's over ... and that's okay, too ... my goal is to avoid the DNF's and DNS's through training and moderation. I've been using the logs faithfully since July, so you can pretty much see that I'm neither overmotivated ... or fast!

Thanks for doing this mentoring ... I'm looking forward to it!
2006-12-19 2:50 PM
in reply to: #628257

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi there!

Thanks so much for joinging (and to Autumn for the reference! )! Do you mind if I ask your first name? It'll just seem more personal than calling you "1 Foot".

My training plan is always abbreviated for time too, so I can totally relate to cramming things in when we get the chance. What I can't relate to is your outside biking at this time of year--I'm SO jealous! It's all bike trainer, all the time for me right now.

Congratulations on your weightloss; again, so jealous. I am also a lover of food, so it's a tough battle.

I'm at work now so I'll have to check out your logs in more detail later, but it's great that you use them so faithfully. I do too.

I just got high speed internet at home after suffering with dial-up for several years, so I'll make it a point to check in in the evenings at least once. Talk to you later!

2006-12-19 3:05 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Silly me ... I'm Robin. I'm a nuclear engineer working as an environmental engineer in my first job ... and a software test monkey/documenter in my second. I do the second job from home, so I'm on my computer ALOT!

I look forward to getting to know you!
2006-12-19 5:35 PM

Hi Kelly. My name is Lea and I am interested in joining your group. The main reason is because you have a family and a very busy life that makes training a little difficult like myself. After three years of planning to train I finally made the move last year and did my first sprint. It was a great experience. I only did one race because life got too busy. I want to train hard this year. I have a lot of improvements to make in my swimming and could use a little push in my run. I am a personal trainer and a fitness instructor, the knowledge is there it's just the drive to keep going when my schedule gets crazy.

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully we can all help each other reach our goals.
2006-12-19 9:04 PM

New user

Hi Kelly-

My name is Cris and I would love to join your group. I am 45 yrs old and a mother of 3 teenage boys. We live in Connecticut.

I have ALWAYS dreamed of doing a sprint-tri and there is on in my Town in July. I was training last yr but lost all motivation when my mother passed away.

I plan on restarting my training in the New Year. I have been a swimmer all my life so that will not be the problem. I was also doing pretty good with my bike training. My problem will be the running. I have never been able to run!

I also have gained about 30 lbs and will need to lose this weight and tone my body.

I have a HRM a swim suite and I have a friend who is willing to lend me a bike. So I guess with a good pair of running shoes (that I will be getting for Christmas), I will be ready to train!

I am willing to put in the time to make this dream of mine come true,

Thanks,

Cris

2006-12-19 9:06 PM

User image

antigo wisconsin
Hi - I'd like to join your group. I was looking for someone who has the same time constraints as I do and lives in the same general region. I live in north central Wisconsin. I work a job that has me working average 60-65 hours a week, so it takes good organization to get the training in.

I'm a 42 yo married man. My wife and I are getting in to races together.

I did my first tri this past July - a mini-sprint (200 meter swim, 8 mile bike and 1.5 mile run). I did a Duathlon in October (5k run, 32 mile bike, 1.5 mile run). I've also done several 5k's.

I haven't worked out seriously since the Duathlon, but am getting back in to it now. I'm definitely a Clydesdale because I come from a power-lifting background.

I look forward to being a part of this group.

Terry

2006-12-19 10:24 PM
in reply to: #628301

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hello again, Robin,

Thanks for the additional info. I'm also a software documenter, actually. I'm a technical writer at a software company, so documentation is pretty much what I do all day (fun! not). Lucky you on the outside run today!

2006-12-19 10:32 PM
in reply to: #628455

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi Lea,

How are you? It's great to hear from you. Welcome to the group! Yes, it's so hard sometimes to fit in training around life, isn't it? Congratulations on having completed your first sprint; that's great! How many races are you planning to do this year?

I'll be keeping up with everyone's logs and hopefully posting some general discussion topics here in the forum. I look forward to chatting with you!

2006-12-19 10:37 PM
in reply to: #628591

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi Cris,

Welcome to the group! It's great to have you. First I must say I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. I'm sure that was hard for you. Congratulations on your renewed training efforts. You certainly have plenty of time to get ready before your race in July. We are very similar in that I'm a stronger swimmer than anything, I struggle with the run, and I need to lose weight. So we can help each other!

I'll be keeping up with everyone's logs and having discussions here. I look forward to chatting with you!

2006-12-19 10:47 PM
in reply to: #628594

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi Terry,

How are you? Welcome to the group. Glad to have you! I am originally from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so I've been through north central Wisconsin many times as we travel back and forth between here and there. Dare I hope that you are a fellow Packer fan?

My husband and I also race together and it's been a lot of fun for us. He's a far better runner than I am, but I'm a stronger swimmer, so we encourage each other. I'm sure you and your wife will have a great time with triathlons too.

Congratulations on your completed races; it sounds like you've got a solid start on your tri career.

I'll be commenting in everyone's logs and starting some discussion threads here. I look forward to talking with you.

2006-12-20 9:33 AM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Wow!!! This looks like a GREAT group!
2006-12-20 9:58 AM

Hi Kelly:
I would very much like to join your group. I'm a 29 year old attorney on Long Island, married for 2 years, and the father of a 3 week old baby boy. My wife has not yet caught the work out bug but hope springs eternal. About 18 months ago I decided to get back into running after realizing I could no longer eat the way I did in my early 20's and not gain any weight. I started with 5k's and then gradually moved up, finishing two sub 2 hour half marathons this past summer. As Fall has turned to Winter I have found that getting motivated to run has become increasingly difficult so I've decided to try and train for a 70.3 in the hopes of varying the workouts, etc. I'm thinking that swimming is going to be a big problem for me so any special help with that area would be greatly appreciated. I train using a heart rate monitor. I look forward to any help or advice that you can provide. Thanks!
2006-12-20 10:22 AM

User image

Expert

Hi Kelly. I would like to join your group if I you have any room left. I also try to do my best to fit training into a busy life. Plus, you and Robin always have something good to say over in COJ

My real name is Anthony. I'm 48, married (20th anniversary next May), 3 children, boy 18, girl 17, and  a boy 10. I live in beautiful Orange County NY, about 70 miles NW of NY City. I try not to cut into family time with my training by training early in the morning. Fortunately, I am an early riser and don't need a lot of sleep, but winter is tough because I don't go out in the dark. The cold doesn't bother me (our winters are cold, but nothing like Minnesota), but I don't like the dark, and I can't stand being indoors on a treadmill.

I've been running for a few years, but this last year was my first Tri season. Did a couple of Du's, several sprints, and 2 Oly's and had a BLAST!! I can't wait til next season, and I have signed up for Timberman HIM.

BTW Cris, where in CT do you live? I am originally from Westchester County in NY, but only a few miles from CT. I did the Greenwich Cup Sprint Tri last year, and had a great time. I hope to do it again next year.

2006-12-20 10:24 AM

ontario
Hi Kelly,

My name is Cindy, i live in a small town in Ontario.

i work full-time as a medical secretary and part-time as a personal trainer.

started running about 6 years ago, have done a few half and full marathons and just started with some beginner tri's this year with one sprint tri at the end of the season. i love it!
hoping to complete a oly distance and maybe a half in 2007.
i kind of followed my own training plan this year but would love to have something a little more structured as well.
i am also, "lightly technical", like to run with my garmin, use a bike computer, and sometimes my HRM.

i hope i can join your group, sounds like fun

Cindy

2006-12-20 11:43 AM
in reply to: #628966

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hello Cindy, and welcome!

Congratulations on your races so far! A marathon seems like the impossible to me, so I tip my hat to you. The training plans here are really helpful, so you should be sure to look  in to those. As I said in my intro, I shuffle the suggested training around a lot to fit whatever I have going on in a week. With two jobs, I'm guessing you'll do a lot of the same!

I'll be checking in on people through their logs and also posting some discussion topics here. I look forward to talking with you!

2006-12-20 11:49 AM
in reply to: #628961

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi Anthony, and welcome! There's certainly still room on the group. We've got a good-sized group going here and that's great!

I wish I could say the same as you about being an early riser! I also try not to cut into family time too much with training, but for me that most often means getting on the trainer or treadmill at 9 pm when the kids go to bed. I can hardly wait for winter to be over. Actually, this Minnesota winter has been very mild so far. I can't believe that a mere 5 days before Christmas it's 38 degrees and there's not a flake of snow on the ground.

It sounds like you certainly made the most of your first season! Good for you! I'll be posting messages in your log and starting discussions here, too, so I look forward to chatting with you!

2006-12-20 11:57 AM
in reply to: #628924

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi ivyhoop,

Welcome! Congratulations on the birth of your son!  I'm sure he's keeping you and your wife very busy these days, so good for you for still finding time to train.

Those are some impressive running accomplishments! Way to go! Running is my weakness so it's good that it's swimming that you need more advice about. Actually, when my husband started doing tris last year, he couldn't swim at all. He had never learned to do much more than a modified breaststroke thing. He basically just started one length at a time. I showed him basincally how the front crawl should look and he just kept at it, a little farther each time. Now he can finish a 1/4 mile swim with no trouble. The first thing you might want to work on in getting used to having your face in the water and exhaling while doing so. My husband seemed to have a very hard time with that. But we can talk more about that later if you'd like.

I see you user your workout log, so that's good. I'll be commenting in there and starting some discussion threads here. Looking forward to it!

P.S. I harbor thoughts of going to law school some day. When my youngest goes off to college, I'll only be 42. Tell me that's not too old!!

P.P.S. Can I ask what your first name is?

Edited by kelpeng 2006-12-20 11:58 AM
2006-12-20 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: RE: kelpeng's Group - FULL

Wow.  Kelly's group is full!  Yay!

I've known Kelly for what, 2 plus yrs? 

And from reading about, you, the respondents, I think you have all selected an excellent mentor!!She will be a great resource for you all!

She might not say it, but she is also an excellent and FAST swimmer! 

2006-12-20 11:59 AM
in reply to: #629104

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Awww, you're too kind, fromer.

(Note to all: fromer is the excellent and fast swimmer, but I'm ok.)

2006-12-20 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Ok, it looks like we've got our group!

Great! There are eight of us, I believe (including me).

Nothing like starting off like a dope, but just a heads up that I will be leaving town tomorrow morning and won't return until Sunday night. (For those interested, my traitor/Vikings fan husband and I will be at the Packers/Vikings game at Lambeau tomorrow night--woo hoo!) I'll try my best to check in while gone, but my parents only have dial-up internet access, so I may go insane waiting for downloads (let's hope not). For sure I will be online again Sunday night. I'm guessing that everyone will be busy in the next week or so anyway, but my apologies for being kind of out of touch for a few days.

Ok, so as I said in most of my replies, I'll be using the Inspire me feature in people logs a lot. If you don't already use the training logs here, I REALLY encourage you to do so. It's a fantastic tool and very easy to use.

I'm looking forward to this and hoping it will be fun and useful for you!

Anyone else travelling for the holidays?

2006-12-20 12:24 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my name is Jason but I go by Jay.
42 is nowhere in the neighborhood of "too old" for law school. I'll try the swimming tip. Thanks a bunch.
2006-12-20 2:29 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i second what fromer said - kelly will be an awesome mentor!

here's a table for your group. packers colors, of course.

BT Mentor Program

cris :: swimcris
terry :: tajarl
lea :: leayag
robin :: 1_Foot_The_Other
anthony :: amschrod
cindy :: rungrlrun
jason :: ivyhoop
kelly :: kelpeng

2006-12-24 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Checking in on Sunday night!

Hey everyone, how's it going?

We returned safe and sound to MN this afternoon. Not much working out for me while I was gone, but did get one run in anyway. I suppose that's better than nothing!

Anyone getting any good tri gear this year? None for me yet, but I still have a lot of things to open tomorrow. I'll check in again then!

2006-12-27 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Any good triathlon loot for the holidays??

Hi everyon!

It's pretty quiet in here these days due to the holiday, but I thought I'd find out if anyone got any new tri equipment/toys this year.

I'll start; I got a few things--new bike jersey, a stick of BodyGlide in my stocking, and a container of dog repellant that I can take with me when I run. (It's basically mace for dogs; there are a few stories in my training log about this dog down the road that gives me way too much attention when I run by his house.) Oh, and my mom got me a pair of smartwool socks and a new pair of bike shorts. I've been using the same pair of shorts for all three years of training (yes, they are in the wash all the time), so it's well past time for a new pair!

Anyone else??

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kelpeng's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8