BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kelpeng's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-04-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: #758341

Subject: RE: kelpeng's Group - FULL
My school's gym, as well as my gym at home after school ends, both have pretty decent lap pools. And yes, I am using one of the site's free plans. I'm going to start in earnest next week, and I spent this week running, swimming, and biking a little each day.
One question for the group: What does everyone think about stationary bike vs. actual bikes. I have a nice bike at home, but here at school, I have just been using the stationary. Any thoughts?
Evreyone have a good day, the weekend's almost here!
josh

2007-04-13 9:09 AM
in reply to: #758506

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

jakman - 2007-04-12 9:40 AM  What does everyone think about stationary bike vs. actual bikes. I have a nice bike at home, but here at school, I have just been using the stationary. Any thoughts?

My opinion is that a stationary bike is certainly better than nothing, but use your real bike as often as you can. The muscles used are different between the two, and as a general rule, it's best to train as close to race conditions as you reasonably can. But as I said, if the stationary is what works on a particular day, opt for that rather than nothing.

I had to use a stationary bike all last week when we were in Florida, and I could definitely feel the difference in the muscles I was using. Also, the different body position seemed to aggravate my IT band, where riding my regular bike does not.

Have a great weekend!

2007-04-16 9:20 PM
in reply to: #625452

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Hello from Manila!

Hi everyone!

I'm sitting in an office in Manila, Philippines as I type this. I'm here for work for 12 days and it is HOT HOT HOT. It's about 10:20 am here, and it's 91 degrees with a 102 heat index. Makes it impossible for me (who is extremely unaccustomed to this kind of heat) to train outside, but luckily the hotel has a nice pool and workout room.

How's everyone doing? Josh, how's the training coming along? Have you considered using the training logs here to track your workouts? I find it really helps me be more consistent.

Kelly

2007-04-17 9:28 PM
in reply to: #764106

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Hello from Manila!

Hey everyone, how are you all doing?

If you haven't already read them, I would like to suggest that you read PirateGirl's thread in Triathlon Talk about her DNF at IMAZ, and also her race report. I found her comments really inspiring.

So Kelly, Manila sounds interesting although I guess since it's for work it's probably not that exciting. The weather sounds like upstate New York in August

kelpeng - 2007-04-16 10:20 PM

How's everyone doing? Josh, how's the training coming along? Have you considered using the training logs here to track your workouts? I find it really helps me be more consistent.

Kelly

Absolutely. I find the training logs really help keep me on track.

Have fun everyone!

Anthony

2007-04-26 9:58 AM

User image

Expert

Hi everyone. I hope you all are feeling good and having fun.

I have been busy, busy, busy. Busy training, busy around the house now that Spring is here, and really busy at work. I've been very happy with my training, and this week I'm really psyched because I decided to do my first race this weekend; The Bassman in southern New Jersey which Lea has also signed up for. It's a sprint, but pretty long with .5 mi. swim, 29 mi. bike, and 4 mi. run. I'm going to approach it more like a training day, which will give me a good excuse for being DFL in my age group.

BTW, getting up at 3:30 AM, and driving 150 miles so I can swim, bike, and run is perfectly normal behavior, right?

Take Care,

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2007-04-26 9:59 AM
2007-04-26 3:33 PM

The ride will be worth it. The weather is supposed to be pretty nice and the water temp doesn't look too bad considering the weather. I am going to take a ride down on Friday or Saturday to check out the course. I am pretty sure it's mostly flat. Not many hills in this area. I am only about 20 minutes from the race site. Let's just hope it isn't too windy. We are by the water so we always have the breeze.

I think I am ready. My training lacked a little the last couple of weeks because of my shins, just hoping I finish

Good luck if I don't see you.

Lea

2007-04-27 11:08 AM
in reply to: #778064

User image

Expert

Very exciting to have a race so early in the season. I just checked the website and it says the water temp will be in the 50's. I have a Promotion sleeveless wetsuit, but I just get the extra sleeves that they make to make it a full so I'm glad for that. The weather forecast looks good, though. It looks like the bike course is very flat, so oddly enough, that worries me a little because I am used to riding hills, so I don't know how I will do on a long flat ride. BTW my bib numer is 238, and I hope we can say hello. I'm hard to miss; I'm a  really dorky old guy, plus I'll have kind of a lost puppy dog look on my face because my wife will not be with me. I tried to convince her that we should go to Atlantic City Saturday night, but we don't gamble so we decided not to.

LeaYag - 2007-04-26 4:33 PM  I think I am ready. My training lacked a little the last couple of weeks because of my shins, just hoping I finish Good luck if I don't see you. Lea

You'll be great I'm sure. If I may make a suggestion, try not to push too hard on the run in the excitement of the race, especially at the beginning.

2 days until the first Tri of the season. How cool is that? I am totally psyched!!

Anthony

2007-04-30 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Lea and Anthony--how did it go??

I know you two had a race last weekend--how did it go? Water temps in the 50s??? Wow, COLD. I'm sure you both did very well.

To everyone else, how is the training going? Mine has suffered pretty badly this month due to the family trip to Florida and then the work trip to Manila. I've got a LOT of work to do between now and my first tri on June 3rd.

Have a great week everyone!

2007-04-30 8:10 PM

User image

antigo wisconsin
Hello all

I'm back also just a guick note got back late sunday than go to work early today so I will restart tomorrow.
2007-05-01 11:11 AM

Hi everyone. Well the first one is over and I disappointed myself. I didn't do terrible but I had a bad experience on the swim. I couldn't get any air, it felt like my wet suit was choking me and I had a weight on my chest. I spoke to a few people after the race and they said it sounded more like a panic attack from the cold water (in the 50's) and your lungs sort of shut down and don't let the air in. I actually did back stroke for the entire swim. Bike went well and the run was as best as it could be with my shin splints. They have not posted the official times as of yet but I did come in last in my age group and that was a huge disappointment because I was so ready and trained hard. My focus for the next few weeks is to concentrate on open water swims and less pool. I guess you can never be too prepared. Through the entire race all I kept thinking was "WHY AM I PUTTING MYSELF THROUGH THIS?!" But when it was all over the only think I could talk about with my family was my next race. It's funny how that happens.

I did get to meet Anthony there. He seemed like he had a good race. Must have been a long trip back after that, huh? Hope you had a safe trip home and check out the pix, they have a shot of everyone for each transition.

Well enough excuses and complaining!!! It's time to get training and fix all of my mistakes before the next race!

2007-05-01 11:33 AM

User image

Expert

Hi everyone, and welcome home Kelly and Terry.

The race on Sunday went pretty well. I am working on my RR, but the race results have only the total time with no splits, and I only timed the bike, T2 and the run. I think I did the swim in under 20 minutes which for me for a half mile swim is pretty good. I even passed some people in the wave in front of me. The cold water didn't bother me much except for when I swallowed some and it hurt my teeth

I did not meet Lea before the race, but a couple minutes after I finished I heard the race announcer call her name, so I got to say hi to her and her family. I was happy to see that she didn't seem to be limping much since she is dealing with shin splints. Ouch!! The women's wave started 3 minutes after mine so I figured our times were pretty close, and it turns out we were less than a minute apart which is pretty close considering that the race took us about 2 hours and 40 minutes (it was a looooong sprint).

I will try to finish my RR tonight.

Anthony

ETA That was odd; Lea posted while I was typing my post. I don't have much time now, but I just want to say I thought you did really well. I will try to post later.

Edited by amschrod 2007-05-01 11:42 AM

2007-05-01 2:49 PM
in reply to: #783422

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Congratulations!! Sounds like a very good race. Can't wait to read the report!
2007-05-01 2:53 PM
in reply to: #783381

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey Lea,

Thanks for the update. Seriously, go and read my race report for the very first tri I did--the Buffalo Triathlon in 2004. I am a decent swimmer, but the swim ended up being the worst part of the whole race! It was the longest quarter mile of my life! I had the same experience you did--could not get my face in the water and could not catch my breath for anything, felt like I was choking, etc. The water was about 60 degrees, if memory serves, so yours was even colder. I'm certain that was an issue for a lot of people.

I just took away the lesson that I need to get in the water and get fully acclimated long before the race starts so that I can breathe when race time comes. So like you said, just use this to prepare for the next race!

Can't wait to read your race report. I'm sure you did better than you think. Congrats on finishing your first!!

Edited by kelpeng 2007-05-01 2:54 PM
2007-05-01 2:55 PM
in reply to: #782571

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great to have you back, Terry!
2007-05-01 4:05 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Hello, group! Sorry I've been ... um ... well ... ok, I've been a slacker as far as the group is concerned. It looks like you guys are doing well ... I'm going to go read some race reports,if I can find them. I have my second sprint of the season on Sunday, and I'm as ready as I'll ever be. My goal is to cross the finish line still vertical, and I think I'm trained enough to do that.

I'm sorry I haven't been more support ... but ya'll are looking great!
2007-05-01 4:11 PM
in reply to: #783381

ontario
congrats on your first race!
i had the same experience on my first race last year, and the water wasnt even cold! i also did back stroke for most of the swim.
i blamed it on nerves and not enough warmup time.
i am sure the next one will be much better.

2007-05-01 8:17 PM
in reply to: #783931

User image

Expert
kelpeng - 2007-05-01 3:53 PM

I just took away the lesson that I need to get in the water and get fully acclimated long before the race starts so that I can breathe when race time comes. So like you said, just use this to prepare for the next race!

I think you are exactly right, Kelly. The water was cold, and I didn't get a chance to get acclimated; we just kind of walked in and swam so I assume Lea's wave did the same thing. I normally like to swim around for 5 or 10 minutes to get used to it.

So Lea, I see that you were on the OW Panic Attack thread on triathlon talk so you see how common it is. Here's the way I look at your race: You got in the water and you couldn't breathe. At that point, most people would get out of the water. They would either just walk right back out or grab a kayak, but you didn't. Instead you did what ever you had to do to keep going. You did backstroke for half a mile, and I'm sure you've never swum backstroke a half mile before. Those buoys looked pretty far away on the other side of the lake, especially from water level. But you persevered and finished the swim. Then, after doing all that, you got on your bike and rode 29 miles, and THEN you ran 4 miles even though you have been dealing with an injury. So, I think you did a great job. Plus, you learned something so you can do even better the next time. Congratulations!

LeaYag - 2007-05-01 12:11 PM Well enough excuses and complaining!!! It's time to get training and fix all of my mistakes before the next race!

Excellent attitude.

Anthony

2007-05-02 8:19 AM

I appreciate that. Thanks. It's hard not to get down on yourself. Especially after I saw the split times. But I do need to take it as a lesson and move on. The best thing that came out of this for me is that my husband now wants to start training and try a race toward the end of the season and me and my two boys signed up for the Jersey Genesis. My kids are doing the duathlon and I will try the tri again! I am excited that I inspired them. It should be an exciting race for us.

I hope to see you again at a race. I thought about the one in Bear Mtn. but I don't think my back can handle the climbs. I grew up in Ringwood, NJ and I know that area pretty well.... not too many flat roads

2007-05-04 2:21 PM
in reply to: #784956

User image

Expert

Hi everyone. Hope you're all feeling good.

Your welcome Lea. I think there is always something to learn from each race, and I am sure you will take that lesson and do even better on your next race. I learned something that I thought I had learned last year but apparently forgot which is I need to always push harder on the bike.

It's great that your family is going to do some training and racing. That should be so much fun. I'm trying to get my wife to run, but she's reluctant.

Terry and Robin are both racing this weekend, so good luck to you two. Terry's race is a long duathlon, so he'll get to really try out that nice new bike.

BTW Robin, it's good to hear from you, but I'll have to remember to not get near you when there are rocks around

Anthony

2007-05-07 8:24 PM

User image

antigo wisconsin
Hello all

I posted my RR for my duathlon on sunday,all and all I felt pretty good about the results
2007-05-08 8:18 AM
in reply to: #792246

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job, Terry!

2007-05-10 1:31 PM
in reply to: #792648

User image

Expert

Hi everyone. How's it going? 

kelpeng - 2007-05-08 9:18 AM Great job, Terry!

Definitely a great job on a pretty long duathlon. That second run in a du can be mighty tough.

Robin also had a good race last weekend. Whitecaps on a lake swim is pretty unusual, and certainly a challenge. Reminds me I really need to work on my bilateral breathing.

My training is going well, and I'm trying to increase my distances because it's less than 15 weeks until the Timberman HIM. Time to really get serious, but still have fun

Anthony

2007-05-11 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day this weekend to me and all the other moms somehow attached to this group! No plans for us at this point. My husband has been in Houston at a conference all week, so I'm certain he and the kids will start their supposed-to-be-covert-yet-painfully-obvious gift planning after he returns tonight. I'll just flat out tell him to go with a gift card for the lawn and garden center since I need to get going on the flower beds.

Otherwise, I NEED to get in a decent run this weekend, hopefully Saturday. This week has been pretty poor for training for me, so I plan to make up for that this weekend.

Have a good weekend everyone!

2007-05-15 2:14 PM

I am finally back. My computer has been acting up so I have not really been logging anything, not that I have done much. I am trying to get back but the pollen has been so bad here it makes it very hard for me to get out and my allergy meds are not working. I did make it back in the pool today, yeah! I am going to try for a run after dinner tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Lea
2007-05-18 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Dinner ideas?

Glad you're back at it Lea! Allergies are getting bad here too. I could fall asleep at my desk at any moment.

Maybe all of you can help me with something... I am desperately trying to lose some weight, and I need some ideas for fast, healthy dinners that are higher in protein than fat or carbs. We eat *plenty* of chicken right now, and I really need some new ideas. Anyone? Bueller? We rarely have normal sit down dinners on weeknights, but I could possibly get it together and make one if it sounds particularl yummy.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kelpeng's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8