BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-04 8:39 AM
in reply to: #625455

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - FULL
I have not noticed any increased bladder activity after a swim!

And here's my own swim question up for discussion: How important is it to work on bi-lateral breathing? I used to really focus on that, but now I just breathe every-other stroke (on the right) most of the time.

2007-01-04 8:53 AM
in reply to: #641852

South Carolina

Ok so I have some wierd post swim, bladder issues going on. 

No need to worry about hijacking, let's learn from one another and ask many questions. Laughing

Fyi...I feel more comfortable breathing every third stroke/bilateral during training, but in races I will breathe every stroke on one side or the other.  (whichever side is away from the rising sun)

2007-01-04 9:40 AM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

I appreciate all the swim discussions, as this is the area I need most help with.  I'm a novice as well. 

As for breathing, I breathe on the same side every stroke.  It seems to work well for me and I'm very comfortable doing it.  If I try to breathe any less frequently, I get winded more easily.  I know this is not ideal, but I just do what is most comfortable. 

Question on lap swimming.  Do you folks do "flip turns" in the pool and then push off the wall?  As of now, I just swim up to the wall, pop my head out of the water, turn around, and start swimming the other way.  I do this because I figure we can't push off the wall out in a lake or ocean.  Perhaps I'm losing a lot of momentum doing this.  Everyone in the pool seems to do flip turns.  Just wanted to get you feedback. 

2007-01-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: #641788

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
goggle recomendations - i love the swedes, but they are not for everyone. speedo and tyr have made great products in my experience. maybe you should try "socket rockets", they have a rubber padding rather than the big foam, which you might get a better fit. they might feel weird going from large pads. but again, find something you like and you'll wear.

equipment - the bouy and gloves are designed to increase the strength of your shoulders/arms by reducing your kick, and helps you focus on your stroke. the fins are superfun and make you kick a whole bunch (which i believe is the easiest thing you can do to increase your distance per stroke, most people don't kick that much). try not to correct your hips by just swimming with the bouy though, they chafe after a while (ouch!). your local pool may have bouys and kickboards if a swim team practices there, ask if you can borrow and you may not have to buy the stuff at all. i wouldn't think they are absouletely nessacary for tri swimming, but they can add variety/specificity/fun to your workouts.

breathing - breathing on both sides 1. helps you see where people are on both sides of you 2. forces your body to roll from one side to another increasing your stroke length 3. personally, makes me less dizzy and helps me swim straighter.

peeing - um, i drink a lot of water, so i pee all the time anyway. haven't noticed a big increase. the chemist in me says osmosis.

so i feel like i'm like "look at me, i know swimming" and coming off as a know-it-all, so here is my question, "what is a good way to start practing technique for running?" is there a book you guys read? online lessons? or do you just run and put the miles in? should i push off my foot a little more, chest up hips forward? any running technique stuff?
2007-01-04 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
flip turns, in my opinion, are not nessacary for tris unless you are doing a pool swim. they can be tricky to get and make you feel speedy, but do you need them? nope.
2007-01-04 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Sweet ... thanks for all the swim advice.  I'll probably check in on getting some new goggles and a swim buoy here soon.  Just a matter of taking the time to get down to the sporting goods store.

As for your run question, I am by no means fast - just look at my times.  But I'll chime in with my .02 worth.  I trained for my last 1/2 mary with a group in Columbia, SC led by one of the better runners in the country - 2nd place at US Masters 5k Championship in 14:31, sub-30 10ks, 1996 Olympic team (as an alternate), etc. all this and he's over 40.  He basically taught us to run tall, on light feet, with a quick leg turnover.  He partners with Greg McMillan of McMillan Running (click here)and recommends his methods, articles, etc.  He also said that if you were really interested in running, to pick up a copy of Jack Daniels' book on running.  I've got a copy and its super technical and scientific, and geared more for elite runners, but has lots of good info.

Right now, I'm just working on building my base and losing weight, so I'm not doing all the speed work that most fast folks do.  But I really do concentrate on my form during my runs.  I used to be a heel-striker, and have tried to change into landing more on my mid-foot.  It seems to be helping, as I don't have quite the leg pain/cramps I used to.  Hope some of this helps.

2007-01-04 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
thanks tommy, i'll look into those. i thought the jack daniels method envolved a lot more stumbling and crashing into things
2007-01-04 11:42 AM
in reply to: #641985

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I think Tommy hit the highlight for running with getting a quick turnover and trying to stay "light" on your feet.  You want to avoid "over-striding" or landing with your foot out in front of your body.  This will cause you to "hit the breaks" with each stride (also increases your impact and raises your risk for injuries).

A couple other things you can think about: 

Avoid crossing your arms across your center-line.  Your arms should swing parallel to your running direction.  You dont want to be swinging your hands back and forth across your chest.

Keep good posture.  Don't sag or bend over at the waist.  Some people will talk about a "forward lean", but this should really only be a slight tilt forward and come at the ankles.

Stay relaxed.  Don't let your shoulders or arms tense up.  Don't clench your fists hard.  Make running as easy as possible.

I can't recall if Daniels has much on running form.  It's mostly geared towards building a run-training program.  A very good book if you're considering a run focus.

2007-01-04 11:53 AM
in reply to: #642116

South Carolina
I find that the bottle (jack daniels) slips out of my hand during my long runs. I too was a heal striker and when i moved to focus on a mid foot strike, i felt like i was taking baby steps. My HR shot up and I was slowing down, but i stuck with it. Now I sort of still feel like I do not have a long stride, but my HR has dropped. After warming up, try doing some strides, barefooted on a grassy field or football/soccer field, someplace clear of glass, thorns, etc.You'll be forced to land mid-footed and natural feedback will occur when you heal strike. This will help greatly with muscle memory and tech.
2007-01-04 12:04 PM
in reply to: #642195

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
JohnnyKay - 2007-01-04 12:42 PM

A couple other things you can think about: 

Avoid crossing your arms across your center-line.  Your arms should swing parallel to your running direction.  You dont want to be swinging your hands back and forth across your chest.

Keep good posture.  Don't sag or bend over at the waist.  Some people will talk about a "forward lean", but this should really only be a slight tilt forward and come at the ankles.

Stay relaxed.  Don't let your shoulders or arms tense up.  Don't clench your fists hard.  Make running as easy as possible.

Johnny, thanks for including all of that.  They mentioned all of those things in training, but I just forgot to include them.  Now that you've reminded me, one thing to watch for is tensing up of your arms and shoulders to the point that your hands/fists are basically touching your shoulders as you run because your arm is so bent.  I find myself doing this at the end of a long run or when I'm putting in lots of effort.  Every so often I'll remind myself to just get the arms loose.  One thing that helps me to relax is to keep my jaw loose, not clinched.

2007-01-05 1:44 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

You are may know this already, but someone shared it with me about a year ago and I think it's a great tool.

You can go to the USA Track & Field website and map out any running or cycling route and it will calculate the mileage for you.  http://www.usatf.com/routes

Here is the website

Edited by jeepgil97 2007-01-05 1:48 PM

2007-01-06 1:09 PM
in reply to: #643797

South Carolina

Thanks for the tip jeepgil97

Bike question:

Do any of you run a Compact crank set (50/34 rings)?  If so, have you ever found yourself needing more gearing?  Why did you go with a compact crank?

I am considering a compact for Ironman Lake Placid, but I'm still on the fence about switching from my standard crank.  Currently, I run a 53/39 with a 12-25 in the rear.  I can spin up most hills around here, but I'm not positive about the hills in Lake Placid.  I guess I'm not thinking about the bike, but more about the run off the bike.  I hope that make sense.

2007-01-08 8:30 AM
in reply to: #644746

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

That question is too advanced for me.  I have a QR Kilo 2006.  Here's what came with it:

DRIVETRAIN
Front Derailleur Ultegra 6600
Rear Derailleur Dura Ace 7800
Shifters Shimano Dura-Ace
Cranks FSA Gossamer MegaExo
Bottom Bracket MegaExo
Cassette Ultegra 6600
Chain Ultegra 6600

I don't know if that is suitable to spin up the hills at LP or if I should switch to something else.  Let me know what you find out if you can. 

2007-01-08 9:20 AM
in reply to: #644746

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
timberleaf - 2007-01-06 1:09 PM

Thanks for the tip jeepgil97

Bike question:

Do any of you run a Compact crank set (50/34 rings)?  If so, have you ever found yourself needing more gearing?  Why did you go with a compact crank?

I am considering a compact for Ironman Lake Placid, but I'm still on the fence about switching from my standard crank.  Currently, I run a 53/39 with a 12-25 in the rear.  I can spin up most hills around here, but I'm not positive about the hills in Lake Placid.  I guess I'm not thinking about the bike, but more about the run off the bike.  I hope that make sense.

I don't have one, but the compact will effectively give you more gears for the hills.  To get easier gears to spin up hills, you can (a) install a compact crank, (b) change the cassette to one with more teeth, or (c) do both.  You can play around with different combos over at Sheldon Brown's site to compare what each will give you.

The advantages (that I can think of) of the compact are "tighter" gearing (fewer 2 teeth jumps on the cassette) and lighter weight (removing teeth instead of adding them).

The advantages of the cassette are generally an easier and cheaper swap.

I have a 53/39 and 11-23 combo on my bike right now.  I will probably swap to a different cassette (12-25 or 13-26) for LP to get an easier "bail-out" gear.  But a compact is another viable option.

2007-01-08 11:12 AM
in reply to: #645962

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

I took a closer look at my gears (for the first time) and I have the following:

53/39 in the front, with crank length 170

12-25 in the rear

You guys helped me learn something today.  Thanks!   

2007-01-08 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
The little bit I've heard about compacts are that they are good for those hillier rides/courses because you've got the lower end to help you get up the hills, while you don't really miss much of the higher gears.  I read someone where you only lose around 6 gear inches between at 53x12 and 50x12.  Considering most folks aren't pushing the 53x12, it seems like you aren't giving up much speed to gain better climbing possibilties and thereby keeping the legs fresher with the compact.  If I weren't so poor, I'd probably get try one out.  Keep us informed as to how it works out/your impressions/etc.

2007-01-08 1:51 PM
in reply to: #646190

South Carolina

Thank you for the web site!!  Very helpful!!

I think I will try out a compact crank in prep for Lake Placid.   Looking at the web site, I will not give up much, if any speed, but I will gain with the climbing and lightness of the crank.   Hopefully at Lake Placid, I'll coast/cruise down the big hills to save the legs for the long climbs back into town and the run. 

According to my set up plugged into the web site  -  It looks like a 50 - 13 is about equal to a 53 - 14.   (0.4 difference)

I'll let everyone know as I set up and try out a compact crank.  Thanks again for all the info.

A quick peek on the internet this afternoon....There are alot of great deals on compact cranks.

Edited by timberleaf 2007-01-08 3:53 PM
2007-01-11 1:37 PM

South Carolina

I just found a great product to share with the group.....

BIOFREEZE

Have you guys ever heard of this stuff?  I had not until recently.  Man this stuff is great.  I like to feel some pain in the muscles just like everyone else, but for continued soreness, I like the Biofreeze gel. 

greaseless, stainless, vanishing scent, cryotherapy - the cold method. 

2007-01-11 5:25 PM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I was wondering if anyone does the Core Performance stuff? I heard an interview with a devotee on a triatlon podcast, and I'm intrigued.
2007-01-11 6:36 PM
in reply to: #650986

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
timberleaf - 2007-01-11 1:37 PM

I just found a great product to share with the group.....

BIOFREEZE

Have you guys ever heard of this stuff?  I had not until recently.  Man this stuff is great.  I like to feel some pain in the muscles just like everyone else, but for continued soreness, I like the Biofreeze gel. 

greaseless, stainless, vanishing scent, cryotherapy - the cold method. 

the nurse at work gives me packets of the stuff for free, a big second on the wonderful power of biofreeze!
2007-01-18 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Time to crank out some more questions!!

Bike question:  Does anyone here use a road bike with clip-on aero bars?  Or are all y'all fast enough to warrant a tri bike?  I use the road/clip-on combo and was wondering if you or anyone you know just leaves the aero bars on year round.  Does that freak out the roadies when you show up for group rides?  I like my clip-ons, as I find I can ride longer more comfortably when I'm down on the aero bars.  Anyone have any experiences/comments?

And random weight loss question:  Does anyone have problems losing weight in the winter as opposed to the warmer months?  I've been averaging about 5 hours a week in training (not much for some of you, but a decent bit for me), trying to eat better food in smaller quantities and more frequently (the grazing concept), and while the clothes are fitting better, I haven't seen the scale budge in about a month.  In fact, I'm actually probably a pound or two heavier.  While not obsessing about my weight, I would like to eventually drop 15-20 lbs, and would like to lose something soon for my upcoming 1/2 mary next month.  Any suggestions, besides "eat less & exercise more, you lard a##!"?

Hope everyone's training is going well.

<< Edited:   Now we're on page 3 of posts!  Go JK's group!! >>

Edited by CarolinaLaw 2007-01-18 10:42 AM

2007-01-18 1:05 PM
in reply to: #659223

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I ride a road bike w/clips.  I never take them off, but I almost always ride alone too.  On the few occassions I have found myself in a group, I just ride out of the aerobars.  Unless there is you group you want to ride with that really frowns on them, just leave them on there.

As far as weight, I have gained a few pounds this winter.  But all of it came over the holidays so I know how it got there.   In the process of taking it off now (almost there).  I'd like to actually drop another 5-10lbs this season but that's going to take more discipline than I've been able to muster in the past so we'll see. 

It sounds like you're doing the right things (exercising, wathing what you eat and eating smaller portions more frequently to help stave off binges).  Unfortunately, your last line (ex-lard a## comment) is the best advice.  Fewer calories in, more calories out.  It's the only way to lose weight over the long-term.

2007-01-18 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
i never understood what the big deal was about roadies vs aerobars. i guess i've never run into an angry anti-roadie. if someone is getting all jerky because they don't like your bike, to h with them, drop em on the next hill.
2007-01-18 2:37 PM
in reply to: #659522

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Noz - 2007-01-18 1:18 PM i never understood what the big deal was about roadies vs aerobars. i guess i've never run into an angry anti-roadie. if someone is getting all jerky because they don't like your bike, to h with them, drop em on the next hill.

It can be a legitimate safety concern depending on how the group rides.  Riding in a pack on your aerobars is less safe.  Handling tends to be a little worse and you're further away from the brakes in an emergency.  That's why I stay off the bars in a group.  Also, there's no reason to stay aero if you're drafting. 

2007-01-18 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Oh, there's no way I would ride on the aero bars in a group ride - but I have seen it where somebody will make smart comments on someone who has aeros on their bike before the ride even starts.  I realize I'm not necessarily fast enough to get a true benefit from aero bars, but just find them more comfortable on longer rides.  That, and it took me awhile to get them where I feel comfortable, I've retaped my handlebars, mounted my computer, etc., so I don't feel like constantly putting them on/taking them off.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6