Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2006-12-15 5:42 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: JohnnyKay's Group - FULL
Story:
I'm 37 now and began training for triathlons just over 2 years ago.  Rowed competitively in HS & college, but did little afterwards other than some infrequent attempts to stay in shape which generally fizzled out after a couple months.  Once I got started on tris, I got hooked and have been exercising and training regularly ever since.  In the 2 years I have done a couple half-iron races, a few olys, some sprints and a duathlon.  Also did a marathon.

Family:
Married for 11 years with 3 children--ages 7, 5 and 2.  They are amazing for putting up with my tri obsession, but it has also rubbed off on them and we are all more active then we probably otherwise would be.

Training:
I'm currently training for my first IronMan in Lake Placid.  I'm fairly disciplined in all my training and use HR, power, pace, etc. regularly.  I'm self-coached, but have spent a fair amount of time to listening and learning from some smart people in the sport to get the most out of my limited training time (work full time as well).

Weight: 
Dropped about 25lbs since I started, but have been at my current weight for about a year now.  This is less than my weight in college and I'm much happier with my weight than I was 2 years ago.  However, as my goals have become more competitive I may have to figure out how to drop a few more to maximize my potential.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2006-12-18 7:37 AM

2006-12-15 6:58 PM
in reply to: #625455

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - OPEN
I'm 32 years old and have 2 years of tris under my belt, from Sprint to 1/2 IM. I'm also attempting Ironman Lake Placid in '07.

I live in Middletown, DE. Married with 3 kids, ages 5, 3 & 2.

I'm not really structured in my training as I should be, with HR monitors, etc. I don't even have a bike computer. But I plan to start using most of that stuff this coming season.

2006-12-16 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
hi johnny, i was wondering if i could sign up for your group! i am 28 year old chemist living in iowa. i am married for four years and we have a two year old little girl.
background
i swam competively in high school and college. after swimming, i gained a bunch of weight and had very poor eating habits. i decided to start running to try to do something about it and got into tris shorty there after. this will be my third season of tris, i've completed a few sprints, a very hilly oly, and my first marathon! this year i hope to complete my first HIM with maybe a marathon afterwards. if all goes well, i might look into a full IM in 2008, but perhaps i'm getting ahead of myself.
training
i got some coaching for the marathon and i cannot believe how much of a difference it made! being in iowa, there are not a ton of like minded people in your neighborhood. i plan on signing up for a coach here in the spring to help with the HIM. i am a science nerd, so i love HR data and plans and such!
questions
i am most interested in hearing your advise on training with limited training time and still having time with the family. Thanks for the consideration, look forward to hearing from you!
2006-12-16 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

JohnnyKay,

I'm hoping to hop into your mentoring program.  Here's some info:

Story:  I'm 32 year old and just beginning the triathlon lifestyle.  At one time or another I've dabbled in cycling and running - swimming has never been my strongsuit.  I'm former military and used to be in pretty good shape.  Left the service to go to lawschool.  During the 3 years of lawschool I gained about 25-28 pounds.  I recently graduated and have settled into my government job, so I have more time to train now.  This past fall finished my first 1/2 mary, just joined the Y, and am beginning serious tri training.

Family:  Married for 10 years and have a 5-year old daughter, with my wife expecting our son March 8th.  They are pretty supportive of me in my training, but I don't have a lot of free time.  Accordingly, I either train at lunch, or before every gets up or after my daughter goes to bed. 

Training:  I just started logging all of my training here on BT the first of November.  I'm pretty technical about my training.  I've got the Garmin 305, bike computers, etc.  I read Friel's Training Bible, Daniels' Running Formula, Total Immersion book/DVD, etc.  I'm planning on doing 2 sprint tris this spring and 2 olys this fall.  In between, I'm riding the Assault on Mt. Mitchell in June, and will likely do a fall/winter marathon this year.  I am self-coached and pretty disciplined (borderline anal-retentive).  My training goal for this year is to basically work mostly on building a strong base and finish my races MOP. 

Weight:  I'm down to 182, from a high of 203 about a year ago.  I was 195 on July 4th - when I started my 1/2 mary training.  I am starting to make the right eating choices into a habit, but still drink too much wine - my one vice.

Goals:  I'd like to get some general advice and pointers from others.  I have questions, like all newbies, and would love to hear wisdom from someone who has been there, done that.  And the power of teamwork/inspiration never ceases to amaze me.

Now, to finish working on the baby's room so I can squeeze in a bike ride this afternoon.  Train well, y'all.

Edited by CarolinaLaw 2006-12-16 9:32 AM
2006-12-16 1:44 PM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I think this would be a good group for me, if you guys are willing!

I'm Kathleen. I'm 28, married, and have one 2.75-year-old son. I'm hoping to have another child sometime in the next 18-months or so. I'm a high school English teacher, and from Sept.-June, my job takes up a lot of my time. I'm also finishing my master's thesis this semester -- I'm really set on graduating this spring.

I ran cross country and track in high school and some of college in a DIII program. I got out of running when I contracted mono in 1997 and had to take a semester off of school to recover. I got back into it in 2000, and ran Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN in 2001. I've also run two other marathons, both in 2002, including one (barely) Boston-qualifying time.

I got preganant in 2003, gained a bunch of weight (55 pounds or so), and then lost it over about six months after my son was born. Because I had a c-section, running was uncomfortable for awhile, so I started going to master's swimming practices at my local Y. I started as the slowest-of-the-slow, and progressed a bit.

Last spring, I decided I wanted to train for something "big," but I didn't think I had the stomach for the long runs required for a marathon. Anything over 15 miles kind of ruins my day. A friend had done a few tris, so I signed up for a sprint and began with a plan here on BT. I completed two sprints, and I feel hooked. I am just starting to dream of training for a long-distance tri.

My more immediate goals are a half marathon in January (this will be my fourth). I'd really like to break the PR I set on the same course when I was 13-years-old. I have also just purchased my first road bike and trainer, and really need to put more time in on that.

Ok, that's long enough for an intro! Looking forward to this if it works out.
2006-12-16 3:09 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I've left each of you an inspire already, but consider yourselves part of the group.  Sounds like we'll all be able to help one another out with the different backgrounds.  We can use this thread & the inspires to address questions and offer support to one another (you should add one another to your training blog--let me know if you don't know how to do this).  I'm pretty busy this weekend, but I'll try to follow up this week with everyone.

We've got room for one more now!

2006-12-17 5:35 PM
in reply to: #625874

South Carolina
Got room for one more?

I'll turn 37 in March '07, married six years, father of one beautiful 3 year old, and i've been doing triathlons for almost 4 years. I still feel like I'm learning alot year after year.

I started out doing sprints and adventure races. This turned into longer triathlons and marathons. I have worked a schedule by myself and I have worked with a coach. I am the worst client for a coach, or maybe the best depending how you look at it. I pay up every quarter, but I skip alot of workouts due to family life and work. So, I am currenly working on my own basic week schedule.

In Oct 05 I finished my first Ironman, the Great Floridian Ironman. It was not pretty, but I finished in 13:21. I have higher expectations for my A race, Ironman Lake Placid '07.

That's about it for now....
2006-12-17 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
sorry i see- there are 5 already

Edited by JungleDoc 2006-12-17 6:08 PM
2006-12-18 8:19 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - FULL

OK, timberleaf rounds out our group by edging out JungleDoc.    (We would have snuck in him in as a sixth, but I think he's found another home already so it's all good.)

Looks like we've got plenty of experience here--swimming, running, some long course racing, etc.  And everyone seems to be enjoying the challenge of training while making sure we maintain our family life, so hopefully some things to share and learn from there as well.

So from here, we can start asking questions right in this thread.  Or feel free to use PM or the "inspire" feature in the training blogs if you'd rather keep something off the public forums.  I'll be keeping track of each of your training logs regularly and hope you'll each do the same for one another whenever you get the chance to do so.

2006-12-18 8:52 AM
in reply to: #626704

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Sounds like a plan, JK.  I'm just hoping not to slow this group down!
2006-12-18 8:58 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I'll kick things off just by sharing how I manage to squeeze in my training around work and family since that seems to be a common issue.  (Sorry if I ramble a bit, these are just some thoughts off the top of my head.)

There's no one way to make it work for everbody.  But it seems that for most people in our situation (work/school + spouse & kids at home), it's hard to avoid the early am workouts.  When I started, I began getting in the routine of 2-3 mornings/wk.  Now, I workout most every morning before work--and this has become the majority of my work-week volume.  The biggest adjustment to do this was cutting out most evening TV and getting to bed earlier.  I typically make it to bed between 9-9:30 and wake up @5am, so still get a reasonable amount of sleep.

I usually manage to get another 1-2hrs/wk during the evenings, but have most of this overlap with other family plans when possible.  For example, during much of the fall I would take my son to his soccer clinnic and run while he was practicing.  Most Tuesdays the last several months I've been able to run on the treadmill at the Y while my daughter has her swim lesson there.  Some weeks my wife & kids will go to an evening "play group" and don't get home until near 7pm anyway, giving me another opportunity to get a workout done without missing any additional family time.

I haven't used the lunch hour at work yet, but that's also a great option for many people.  If you can do that along with several am workouts, you may not need any evening sessions at all.

Weekends vary a bit more depending on what kind of family plans we have, but getting an early start is still usually the best way to get the workouts done that I'd like to do and not interfere (too much) with family time.  Again, during the fall I got in a 3hr bike ride on most Saturday's by leaving home at daylight and finishing the ride at the soccer field for my son's game at 9:45.  I missed breakfast with them, but not much else.

For this season, with IM training, I'm probably stretching this weekend time a bit and over-stepping what would be considered "healthy" for my family over the longer term.  I sat down with my wife before I signed up and explained all this to her.  She understands my desire to give this a shot and is (amazingly) supportive.  Of course, in exchange, I've promised that IM will not become an annual event and I'll likely go back to half-irons and under after this season for awhile.

For all of this, I've found planning to be critical.  Before the week begins I try to check with my wife about any plans she has for the week.  I have my "ideal" schedule which I'll then modify to give myself the best chance to get my workouts done.  Often, I try to figure out when I need to be "done" on a given day and then work backwards to see when I need to start.  This also helps at home, with my wife seeing what I'm trying to get done workout-wise while also seeing that I'm making the effort to keep family priorities.

The only downside to my strategy is that I'm forced to do most of my workouts alone.  There's rarely enough "buffer" time to drive to meet somebody or wait for somebody to show up.  And while it's nice to have someone to ride with or chat with during a run, I've grown to enjoy the personal time that training gives me.  Fortunately BT has been great for the support I miss by not having training partners.  Basically, I've got lots of "virtual" training partners here with which to share the challenges or victories (big and small) along the way (and not have to bore my wife with them all the time ).

2006-12-18 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

Great post, JK.  I guess now it’s my turn …

I also work to squeeze in my training due to family and work.  I luckily have a job that gives me an hour and a half for lunch, so I do all of my weights and swimming then, as the Y is only a block from my office.  I occasionally will throw in an early morning workout, usually a trainer ride in the garage during the winter, but it is difficult for me.  I can often squeeze in an evening workout before dinner, but sometimes have to wait until after my daughter goes to bed before getting in a run.  I enjoy running at night, but don’t have the gumption to try and ride at night.  Like most folks, my long days are on the weekend.  I don’t like to train on Sundays, because of church, so Saturday is usually when I go long.  I definitely get the wife on board with my training plans for the week.  As the saying goes, “If Momma ain’t happy, ain’t no one happy.”  It’ll be interesting to see how our new baby, due the first of March, will affect my training. 

I do have a question or two for the group.  I usually rotate my long workouts – i.e. one Saturday is a long run, the next Saturday a long ride, etc.  As such, my mileage for the weeks various greatly, and as a consequence, I break the hallowed “only increase mileage by 10%” rule.  For example, one week I’ll only run twice and have 6-8 miles total, but then the next week, including my long run, I’ll end up with 10-15 – thus increasing my mileage from one week to the next by more than 10%  Should I be concerned?  So far, knock on wood, no real injuries.  Just wondering if I was doing more harm than good by rotating my training like this.  Any thoughts?  As it is, I like to go 2 weeks at a hard intensity, then slack off some the 3rd week, in order to let my body rest.

Sorry if this post rambles … I’m pretty bad about doing that.

Train well,

Tommy

2006-12-18 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
mornings huh? man, i knew it was going to be mornings. i've tried to avoid them post swimming, but it looks like i will have to go again. i just recently declaired war on the snooze button, perhaps this will help. how long are your typical morning workouts? on average?
related to tommy's question, how do you (and you meaning everyone) handle going long? do you make a long run/bike during the week and the other on the weekend or do most do like tommy and alternate the long exercise on the weekend?
adding to tommy's question, is the 10% rule pertain to specific running or biking miles or does 10% mean duration? would the long bike be a sufficient subsitute for the long run so that he can increase the miles? does that make sense, or were you thrown off by my bad spelling?
2006-12-18 2:27 PM
in reply to: #627058

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Well, the new baby won't make your schedule any easier.   But my guess is that after a few weeks, you (and your family) will adapt and figure out what kind of new schedule works for everybody.

As far as the 10% rule, this is mostly solid general guidance.  But there's no reason why a training "block" can't be 10 days or 2 weeks either.  Just make sure you're gradually building both the "short" week and the "long" week and then stepping back every few weeks to let your body rest and absorb the training.  The "step-back" week is usually done by reducing volume rather than intensity.

You'll see lots of talk on BT (and elsewhere) about base, LSD and zone 1-2 work.  Basically, the consensus is that most people will make more progress by keeping the intensity of most of their workouts fairly modest, especially in the off-season.  By doing this, you get most of the benefits of the higher intensity workouts with much less injury risk and a much better chance of completing all of your workouts.  And with only doing 2-3 runs per week, you probably don't really have the base to do a lot of intensity.  I'd save most of that for when it will really benefit you--as you get close to your A-races.

2006-12-18 2:50 PM
in reply to: #627117

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Most of my am workouts are about an hour, give or take.  But I've done 2hr runs leaving the house @4:30 with just enough time to shower, change and grab a quick snack before heading off to catch my train.  I keep oatmeal in my office desk that I use for any breakfasts that I don't have time for at home.

My plan for this year is to do the long runs during the week (in the morning) and the long bikes on the weekend (though I haven't had many problems doing both on the same weekend either which is what I have been doing recently).  But I do know that some people follow the alternating long run week/long bike week.  In fact, I believe one of the IM plans available on BT uses exactly this design (not aware of any HIM plans that do this, but sure it could be structured).

The 10% could be either miles or time, but usually spoken of in time as that is more of a "common currency".  One person may run 8 miles in an hour at a steady effort while another person goes 6 at the same relative effort.  Yet they each run for 1 hour.  But you can't say, I increased my bike volume last week so it's OK to increase my run volume this week.  They're seperate sports and you need to respect the building of volume for each seperately (though personally, I find that I can "stretch" the 10% rule more in swimming or biking vs. running).  There's some cardio-related carry-over from sport-to-sport, but it's the sport-specific conditioning that the 10% rule is covering.

Hope that answered some of your question.

2006-12-18 5:47 PM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hi, All --

Love reading about the family/life/schedule issues. This is by far my biggest challenge, especially now that my husband is traveling for work. He's spending two weeks in Iowa (I'm in Minneapolis) right now, returning this weekend for the holiday, and then will be alternating weeks in Iowa beginning Jan 8 until the trial he's working on ends.

Lucky for me I just got my first road bike (Trek 1000) and trainer (Cycleops mag), which allow me to do a little cycling after my son goes to bed. I desperately need to work on cycling, so this will force me to get some time in the saddle. How long do you guys generally stay on the trainer? I think it's so hard!

My game plan this fall has been to get at least two early morning workouts in a week and then two workouts on the weekend. I know that 4 x week is bare bones, but as the fall is much more difficult for me in teaching, I thought that would be a good goal to start the year. I don't feel comfortable exercising alone in the dark, so I head to the Y when it opens at 5:30am. I've been either doing a high-quality treadmill workout -- tempo work or hills -- for 30-40 minutes or swimming master's for 45-minutes. I need to be at work by 7:15 most days (this is impossible when I do the daycare drop, however), so that's close to max time for morning workouts. On the weekends, I like to swim master's once and run long once. Sometimes I'll run twice, or like last weekend, just punt on the trainer if all else fails.

It's really a trick, isn't it? But I've learned from experience that letting my fitness fall by the wayside is really not an option -- everything in my life goes better when I'm in shape.

2006-12-18 6:56 PM
in reply to: #627330

South Carolina

Hello all!!

I too follow an early morning workout routine.  On my basic week, i try to get in 1 to 2 hours per morning.  I find that if I wait until the evening, then it takes me to long to relax and get a good nights sleep. then my next morning is ruined from the lack of restorative sleep.  see the cycle.  If i do work out in the evening, which will come as i ramp up for my ironman, i try to finish by 7pm.  gotta earn family points now to cash in later in the spring.

Here is what works for me:  set the coffee pot for a quick cup as i dress for the morning session, wash down the coffee with a bottle from the fridge.  I set my clothes out the night before.  usually in the garage.  actually,  I have considered putting a dresser in the garage for my workout clothes.  I grease the tracks on the garage door so they do not wake the house.  I'll ride the trainer in the garage or head out the door for a run or drive up to the y for a swim

In an ideal week, i'll get in a workout every morning. 

Breakfast happens in the car, Usually a home made smoothie, pre-made on sundays for the week.

Edited by timberleaf 2006-12-18 6:59 PM
2006-12-19 10:29 AM
in reply to: #627370

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
timberleaf - 2006-12-18 6:56 PM

Here is what works for me:  set the coffee pot for a quick cup as i dress for the morning session...

You realize you're taunting jeepgil now, right?  Wink

2006-12-19 12:03 PM
in reply to: #627873

South Carolina

He's strong!  I know he can do it. 

Actually I need to follow his lead.....all in due time.  I could not go cold turkey.  I'll follow the down titration method. Cool

2006-12-19 8:38 PM
in reply to: #628029

South Carolina

Good evening all!

I have some bike parts that i am about to list for sale, but i thought i would ask you guys first.

Profile T2 cobra aero bars, almost brand new.  I say almost because i mounted them on my road bike for a fit session, but decided to buy a tri bike which came with aero bars.  There is minor scratches on the back end of the bars and the pads have not been mounted, they are still new in the bag.

shamino 105, 10 speed rear derail, brand new, still in box

Sorry if i am breaking any ethics code by asking on the group page.

2006-12-20 7:41 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Had a couple questions on "swim golf" from my logs.  It's just a way to balance working on efficiency & speed together.  Basically you swim 50y/m, count your total strokes (the efficiency part) and note your time (speed part).  Add them together and that's your "swim golf" score (so if you can swim the 50 in :40 and you take 40 strokes, your score is 80).  I doubt an experienced swimmer would worry much about this, but as a novice I found it helpful and still use it--still feel I can improve on both parts of the equation.

2006-12-20 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Any advice on how to tailor swim golf/workouts to a 20yd yard pool?  I always see workouts with 50m/100m/150m etc., but I can't do the 50 part, thanks to the smallish pool I use.
2006-12-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: #628764

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

CarolinaLaw - 2006-12-20 7:58 AM Any advice on how to tailor swim golf/workouts to a 20yd yard pool?  I always see workouts with 50m/100m/150m etc., but I can't do the 50 part, thanks to the smallish pool I use.

Wow, I think I would go nuts swimming in a 20y pool (assuming I didn't get dizzy first)! 

But, you could still do the same thing.  All you're doing is tracking your own progress so it doesn't really matter what distance you use as long as it's the same for you.  So choose 40y or 60y and use that as your benchmark.

2006-12-20 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

If you go as slow as I do, you don't get dizzy.  ;-)

I'll try some swim golf maybe next month or so.  I'm still trying to focus on technique and learn how to swim.  That and build up swim endurance.  That to me so far is the hard part.

2006-12-20 9:03 AM
in reply to: #628838

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
CarolinaLaw - 2006-12-20 8:56 AM

If you go as slow as I do, you don't get dizzy.  ;-)

I'll try some swim golf maybe next month or so.  I'm still trying to focus on technique and learn how to swim.  That and build up swim endurance.  That to me so far is the hard part.

Swimming is hard to pick up because there is so much technique involved.  If you can get some coaching, that is your best bet.  But here are 2 links that might help.  The second one is a drill progression that I used to teach myself to swim (before then getting some additional help through coaching).

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimtechnique1.htm

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimming-drills.htm

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6