Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-12-15 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: TRIFOR40's Group - Full

Username: trifor40 -- Jenna

Story: I'm a newbie myself, just starting my second year of tri-ing. I'm 40 years old now, nnd had NO athletic training or even interest before the age of 36. I am married and have two kids- 6 and 8 years old. I work at home. but have monthly travel in winter and weekly travel in summer. I'm a former smoker and I put on lots of weight after my kids were born, and eventually decided to get more active to take off the weight. I started with the Body for Life program (weights and cardio, with a simple whole foods eating plan.) I gained muscle with the program, pretty easily since I had very little to begin with, and sort of caught the fitness bug.

My daughter is a Leukemia Survivor, so two years ago I decided to raise money for Leukemia Lymphoma Society through Team in Training. I trained for a half marathon but got injured a month before the race. (Still met my FR goal though!) I was pretty bummed because I couldn't run-- so my husband actually suggested triathlon because he thought the cross training might be better for my body than the repetition of running. (He's a die-hard hockey guy and has zero interest in tri for himself, but is very supportive of me.) My response went something like this: "But I don't know how to swim and I haven't been on a bike in 20 years!" He said "Uh, you could take a lesson, you know."

So I did. Stated training last January with swim lessons (inspired by my fish-like daughter!), got a bike in April or May, found a beginners plan here at BT, and finished (at the back of the pack) two sprint tris this summer. Training: I try to follow the excellent plans here at BT-- started with a Beginner Spint plan, and now am trying a very ambitious (for me) winter training plan.

I had been swimming at our local high school twice a week, but realized I needed more. So now I'm trying for 4-5 x/week at our Y, and am re-learning swimming through the Total Immersion book. It's working!!! I run outside (love the cold) or on the TM at the Y. I bike on a trainer in the basement now, but not as much due to the focus on swimming. Swmming is the hardest discipline for me, bike is the easiest (aka most fun!) I lift and do core work at home, when I do it.

Races: Finished at the back of the pack two sprints last summer, but finished uninjured and with a smile on my face. Hope to do two sprints and an olympic-distance next season. I will always be slower than most people, but coming from no athletic background at all, and starting overweight and underconfident, I'm thrilled at my progress!

Weight: Eighteen months ago I was 184 lbs and 42% body fat by my home scale. My "racing low" this fall was 146 at 30% BF. I'm back up to 152 (not eating clean and way too much) but I still fit in my skinny clothes. (The true test, right?) I'd love to lose another 10% BF by next September.... but if I'm feeling good and strong, and still able to do this sport, I'll be happy just the way I am.

I'm not a huge poster here, but I check in daily, use the logs, and get lots of great information.

Edited by TRIFOR40 2006-12-28 3:59 PM

2006-12-17 2:58 PM
in reply to: #625458

User image

Canton, Mi
Subject: RE: TRIFOR40's Group - OPEN
Jenna-

I would like to join your mentor group. I am nearly 36 and just decided 4 months ago that I was going to train for a Triathlon to loss 20 pounds and get in shape. I have been relatively agressive in my training, but am afraid of losing steam. I choose you because your story is similar to how I got to this point, and we both live in Michigan! Where are you located?

Anyhow, right now I am dealing with some knee issues, but I'm back on track mostly.

Ann
2006-12-17 3:01 PM

Regular
Username: colwins440. Given name: Tony Winstead

Jenna,
Please accept me into your group!
I started training 4 weeks ago when my wife (Lilli) and I decided to train for a triathlon. She wants to lose weight and I want to get back in shape. Lilli is 47 and I'm 54 years old. I retired from the Army in July 2001. I was in great shape then, but have been steadily getting out of shape ever since. I have run 2 marathons, several half-marathons, several Army 10 milers and too many 10Ks to remember. I now have arthritis in my right hip, but I’m not in any pain during training. I get stiff and sore the next day, but it subsides once I start moving around. I have started taking glucosamine chondroitin to help with the joints.

As mentioned, I am married and have four kids- ages 26, 24, 23, and 12 years old. I am a school teacher at present. I usually work out in the afternoons or evenings. I am a poor swimmer, an adequate biker, and will be able to manage the runs. Lilli is a good swimmer and an adequate biker, but is having some foot problems and is not able to walk/job at this time. Lilli is currently not interested in joining a mentor group, so I will use discretion when offering her any sage advice you or the others in the group have for me/us.

Training:
I have started with Michael Pate’s 22 week Beginner Sprint plan. I’m on track with the plan but have missed a couple of days due to work schedule and/or Lilli and Michael’s schedules. Swimming - I am up to 300 meters, but I’m only able to do this by using a combination of front crawl, back crawl, side stroke, and elementary backstroke. It’s mostly the sidestroke and elementary backstroke at this point. I know I’ll improve, but I really am bad at the present time. My biggest problem in the front crawl is breathing technique. I panick easily when I swallow water or get off rhythm.
Walking/Jogging - I am up to walking/jogging two miles every other day. I walk a quarter mile then jog a quarter mile. I am at about a 13 to 14 minute pace. I know I can develop this into a 5K at under 10 minutes per mile.
Biking – I have been using the stationary bikes at the YMCA about 3 times per week, and I’m up to 6 miles. Today was my first time outside on my bike in 6 months. I went 6 miles in 33 minutes. I’m satisfied with that.
Strength training – I’m using the Y’s FITLINXX program to work out about 20 minutes every other day.

Races: I plan on doing the Beginner’s Triathlon in Irving, Texas on April 21, 2007 and am looking for a late summer Sprint.

Weight:
I’m at 178 lbs. I want to get under 170, and am thinking about using the South Beach or Atkins diet to get me started.
That’s about it for now. I look forward to your advice and support!
Tony Winstead
2006-12-17 6:58 PM
in reply to: #626346

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Hi Ann!
Sounds like we have a lot in common-- I started out with some running related injuries too. I've taken a quick look at your logs and will do a more "serious" look tomorrow. I'm in Battle Creek, about 1/2 hour east of Kalamazoo. How about you?
So glad we can do this together--- it's alway easier with a workout buddy-- virtual or RW!
Take care,
Jenna
2006-12-17 7:10 PM
in reply to: #626350

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Hello Col. Tony!

I'm so pleased somebody with so much fitness experience in joining our group! I think it's wonderful that you and Lilli are doing this together. My husband and I tackled our (different) fitness goals together and it was wonderful having someone so supportive so close, and often annoying when accountability was the last thing I thought I needed!

I'm going to take a look at your logs to get a sense of your training and post more tomorrow.
Welcome to the group!

Jenna
2006-12-18 6:41 PM
in reply to: #626492

Regular
Jenna,
Those were the good old days (over 5 years ago) when I worked out so much. I am finally getting back into a schedule of working out and it feels good.
I found out today when I went to the Y that the pool will be down for annual maintenance until Dec 28th. This is a big bummer for me, because I have been trying hard to stick with the training plan and I am such a lousy swimmer anyway. I don't know of any alternative places to swim. I'm only up to 300 meters and most of it is easy strokes like the sidestroke and elementary backstroke (frog kick), but this is a big improvement for me. I've been trying to get 3 swims in a week.
I guess I can work on strength, bike, and walk/run during the interim.
You mentioned in your original bio that you are using some swimming course to help you. What is it and how can I take a look at it?
Tony

2006-12-18 9:01 PM
in reply to: #627359

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Tony-
That's disappointing about the pool-- but it sounds like you already have a good plan for the swimming "break." I find that adding one of the six core exercise workouts that Mike Ricci has provided on BT makes a good substitute for a missed swim workout--along with some cardio of course. I'll try to provide links here for those core exercise plans if you don't already have them. Go here http://www.d3multisport.com/articles.phpand click on any article Core Strength Part I - Core Strength Part VI. (Start slowly, as Mike suggests in the into paragraph in Core 1. You want to be able to laugh with only minor abdominal pain at the Holiday celebrations, right?)

I am using the Total Immersion book to "re-learn" swimming. http://www.totalimmersion.net/
There are many, many threads in the forum about TI swimming drills and technique, and almost as many opinions about it. I have found the TI drills extremely helpful. I am a much more aware swimmer now, and I am beginning to feel stronger and more efficient. TI basically breaks down the essential movements of a crawl stroke, and teaches them step by step in a series of drills. By the end of the series of drills, practised as suggested in the book, the student is not only supposed to end with a better, more efficient stroke, but the fitness to swim many lengths using bilateral breathing. I am not there yet, but I am making progress. You can do a search in the forums for Total Immersion to get more discussion, but you may want to check it out of your library or put it on the Chrismas List.
Hope that helps,
Jenna
2006-12-19 9:53 PM

User image

Canton, Mi
Jenna-

thanks for the information on Swimming. Also, I am struggling with my deit whiel doing this. In all, I have none. I just eat when I'm hungry. Can you suggest some places for information on fodd intake while training. Thanks!

Ann
2006-12-20 7:58 AM
in reply to: #628621

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Ann,
First-- asking about diet during the holidays is a trick question, right?
Here's a good straight-forward article from BT about nutrition: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
and this is basically how I eat. I really cleaned up my diet by doing the Body-for-Life Program a few years ago. This article outlines a similar "no-brainer" guide to eating. I am not a nutritionist, so take this as peer-to-peer information. I eat 4-5 times per day and drink 10 glasses of water. I don't drink pop, but I do drink several cups of coffee. Each time I eat, I tryto have a portion of good lean protein (LF cottage cheese, chicken breast, egg whites, tuna or salmon, string cheese) and a source of non-processed (or not-too-processed) carbohydrates (apple, LF granola, ww bread, handful of grapes, LF yogurt). At two of these meals I have a portion of veggies. Portions are equivalent to a deck of cards (fish, meat) or the size of your fist (cottage cheese, fruit, pasta). So example meals: a portion of cottage cheese with a handful of grapes on top and sprinkled with granola; an apple and string cheese; chicken breast, broccoli and parsley potatoes. One day a week I eat whatever I want-- "Free Day." This is when we go out for pizza or Chinese. Unfotunately, in the last week, I've put together a string of free days like you wouldn't believe!

I'm not a big calorie counter although many on this site are and you can get more info in the nutritional area ofBT. A lot of folks use Fitday or other sites to cound calories. I never stick with it. I've found the Keep It Simple method works for me. I've also subscribed to a service that sends me via email a weekly dinner menu plan for 4, with accompanying grocery list, for cardiac-healthy meals. It's good stuff, uses whole foods, and is a real time-saver for me. If you want to know more, I'll give you a link. (I sound like an infomercial already.)

I also just don't buy the processed stuff. I don't even bring it in the house, except for once in a great while. We eat fruit for snacks and, yes, my kids gripe, but they get over it.

Hope this helps!
Jenna
2006-12-20 1:42 PM

User image

I am new to the sport, or should I say the pursuit of the sport. Like you, I work from home and have to manage my own time. I realized this arrangement is perfect to pursue this crazy dream of mine. I used to be into cycling, but I had an accident which resulted in two metal plates and eight screws in my ankle. I think I did the poor, pitiful me thing for a while until I started cycling at the gym again, and I realized I didn't have to give it up. I never thought a triathlete was in my reach, but I have the time to train.

I' m not a natural athlete, but I love sports. I am doing the 8 month beginning exercise program, and I'm about to finish month 1. I've got weight to lose, about 50 pounds, and I like how the few weeks I've been doing this I've ssen the pounds coming off. Yeah, that makes me happy.

I was really inspired by your reasons to pursue the triathlon. Congrats to your daughter on her victory. Thanks. Laura
2006-12-20 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Hi!  I would like to join this group!  May I?

2006-12-20 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

I hope I can join....very quickly because I am on my way out the door...

I just turned 40 - that is what drew me to this group - and I am going to be starting my 3rd season of tris this next year.  I have 3 races that I am definately signed up for - a sprint, an international and a full (in November).  I am going to be selling my home in the next 6 months (hopefully) and buying a new one and getting married!  Yikes!  I do like to do things the hard way!  I am a part time teacher (private school) which allows me the time to workout at least 2 hours per day during the week.  I need motivation and direction.  I did 8 races this last season.  I raced as an Athena, but I am not sure if I will be doing that again.  I am very close to that non-athena point (I say that with peanut brittle breath, so who knows), but we shall see.  I really love racing...I am hoping to do a half mary in Jan and maybe a full in March.  Is there anything else I need to add?

Thanks,

Kelly

OH yea,  band - I am a band teacher

2006-12-20 5:15 PM

Hi Jenna.

I'd love to join the group. I'm a 39-year-old mom of three (8,6, and 14 months), and I've had a fantasy about doing a tri for a few years. At one point I started to train, but have been pretty much a slug since then. I'd love to hit 40 in the best shape of my life, with at least one race behind me. You seem like a perfect mentor. Will you let me in, please? Jen
2006-12-20 5:45 PM
in reply to: #629298

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Hello Laura and welcome! I will post more later-- I have to referee an air hockey game between my kids. Ugh. I'm thinking penalty box.
2006-12-20 5:49 PM
in reply to: #629564

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Abear--
Thanks for joining! I hope you will share your experience and expertise with us often! I will post more later--
Jenna
2006-12-20 5:52 PM
in reply to: #629644

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Jen-
Of course-- and welcome! It feels so good to hit 40 (or 30 or 50 or 60) "in the best shape of your life!" Not sure why it took me so long to figure that out-- but hey-- here we are, right? Looks like we have a great group! I'll post more later after my children stop fighting. Or at least when they fight more quietly.

Jenna

2006-12-21 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: RE: TRIFOR40's Group - FULL

Whats everyone doing today?  I have a really hard time working out when school is out.  I did manage a run on Monday but every day it has been something else to do.  I feel like to total slob not working out!  I am going to shoot for next week after Christmas maybe.  I know my youngest son is getting a bike for Christmas, so we will all probably go on a ride on Monday afternoon - if not then, for sure Tuesday!  How do you all find time/motivation to workout? 

Kelly

2006-12-21 4:58 PM

Regular
All y'all,
I guess I'm fortunate because I have the time available..... but I'm older than the rest of you, so I deserve more time! In addition, I'm a teacher in a private school and we finished the semester last Friday! Yes!
My son Michael (age 12) and I went to the Y today and worked out. Michael is real good about going to the Y. He likes to run (go figure), work out on weight machines that he is allowed to use, and shoot basketball. This is great for me because it gives me enough time to either walk/jog, swim, bike, and/or strength exercises. For now, the Y pool is down for annual cleaning, so I'm sticking to walk/jog, bike, strength.
So, today I walked 1 mile and ran 1 mile. (sequence was .5 walk, .5 run, .25 walk, .5 run, .25 walk). I did 50 crunches on the fitness ball and 50 back extension on the FB. Then I did my "Daily Routine" on the weight machines (which is really every other day... or so).

How you did you "guys" do? I know I'm the only male "guy" in our group, which is kind of flattering to me, since I have always enjoyed being surrounded by ladies (my wife and 2 daughters included!)
Hope y'all had a great day! I did!
Tony
2006-12-21 11:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

How did I do?  Nothing.  I did nothing. 

Well.....I did put up the Christmas tree, visit with my 1 year old niece for 3 or 4 hours, and go to a Christmas party...but as for working out - nada.  Like I said, I have a very difficult time working out when I am not in the 'routine'. 

I also teach at a private school.  I wish I could get my 12 year old in the gym - He would love it!  I think after we move (in the next 6 months) we will definately set up a home gym for the boys to work out with. 

Does anyone in the group swim with a Master's group?  I am thinking about doing that - if I can work it into the schedule, but I surely need some direction on my swimming. 

Merry Christmas!

Kelly

2006-12-22 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Hello everyone--
I had hoped to put together a little chart of everyone's goals and bio highlights so we can keep each other straight-- but that might have to wait a bit. I have gotten caught up in the last minute holiday details and haven't even gotten to the Y, let alone figure out how to make a chart in a bbs forum! LOL!

My poor family. I haven't worked out in days and my nerves are showing it. I'm going to try to get to the Y this morning and swim, and maybe get a little jog in outside sometime. (It's raining! More like Halloween weather than Christmas.) Tomorrow at 9am there's an annual holiday run at the Y-- not timed, no fee, etc. When I asked the gal at the desk how far the runners went, she said "when they get tired, they turn around and come back." Sounds like my kind of run!

I think that will be it for me until the 26th, except for quick jogs outside if I can fit a few in.

Enjoy your holiday preparations, everyone, but don't forget to take care of yourselves too! My personal goal for the next few days and my unsolicited advice for you: Get away for a few minutes with a peaceful walk outside, a hot bath, or even getting in a workout like Tony did-- make a bit of time for yourselves if you can! I'm going to try--
Take care-
Jenna
OH! Kelly- not ready for Master's swim yet but planning on looking into it in the spring. Still putting together my crawl stroke with the TI drills. I have never heard a negative thing about joining a master's group.

Edited by TRIFOR40 2006-12-22 7:28 AM
2006-12-22 9:55 AM

Regular
Jenna and Kelly,
I noticed on your training logs that you've entered your short term goals and long term goals. I would like to do the same thing, but I can't locate where to enter them in. Is it in the control panel or in the training log?
Tony

2006-12-22 10:02 AM
in reply to: #631466

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Tony,
You can enter goals toward the bottom of the contol panel page--
Looking forward to reading them!
Jenna
2006-12-22 2:04 PM
in reply to: #631474

Regular
Where is says "Interests"?
2006-12-22 4:03 PM
in reply to: #631879

User image

Veteran
Michigan
No, I'm not seeing that...
From my logs, I click on the control panel icon on the left-middle side of the screen. Then, I scroll to the bottom of that page and see an area to enter text under the heading called "goals."
I'm not sure where the interests area is... Does this help at all? I wonder if it is a difference in the type of membership or something. Let me know if you are still having problems.
2006-12-22 6:52 PM
in reply to: #631225

Regular
Kelly,
I teach 5th and 6th Grade Math and Science. What do you teach?
Tony
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRIFOR40's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 2