BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2006-12-15 5:45 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: PirateGirl's Group - FULL

Your username / first name: PirateGirl (Elaine)

Family situation (single/married/family):
Married for 7 years to my husband (Zac) and we have no kids, but two rescued greyhounds. My husband isn't a triathlete, but does do some running with me, and we do lots and lots of mountain biking together.

How you train in general (what race distance in 2007, technical or not):
I have a full time job as an engineer (my degree is in chemical engineering), so I have to balance training with my career. I prefer to follow a training plan, and for many of my longer races (Half Ironmans) I've followed the BT plans. I'm currently training for Ironman Arizona 2007, and I am following the 20 week gold BT plan for that. So far so good! Usually I tweak the plan to fit my schedule by rearranging the days around. In between big races I don't follow a training plan, mostly for "mental rest." I find that I can burn out trying to follow plan after plan in a row. I also rely heavily on the logs here on BT, and religiously log all of my workouts (and sometimes non-workouts like "yard work".

I'm not a fast racer, and usually I'm at the back of the pack. This will be my 3rd season as a triathlete, and I do it mostly for fun and to keep in shape. I've had good races and bad ones, and have learned from each. I'm starting to really enjoy the longer distances such as Half Ironmans over the sprint distance. So I'm really looking forward to IMAZ.

And any weightloss goals that you have (or the weight lost so far as a triathlete):
I'm "average" weight for my height, but interested in loosing a few pounds (10 or so). I'm finding this pretty difficult to do. I am also vegetarian, and have been for 15 years, so I try to eat healthy.

Other:
I'm the 2007 president of the Tucson Tri Girls, a local women's triathlon club. So I enjoy encouraging new folks in this sport. 

Looking foward to meeting you and mentoring in 2007!

Edited by PirateGirl 2006-12-17 12:10 AM

2006-12-16 9:52 AM
in reply to: #625459

User image

Veteran
Carleton Place, Ontario
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's Group - OPEN
Hi Elaine,
Can I join your group?

My name is Rae, I am an engineer (electrical) too. I work full time as a hardware designer for a large telecommunications equipment supplier. I am a 42 yr old female, married to my partner (also female) of 18 years. We have two rescued dogs as well, an elderly black lab/newf mix, and my sometimes running partner, a 4 yr old pit bull mix. We live in a small town called Carleton Place, just outside of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

I started running several years ago by following run/walk plans and participating in running clinics sponsored by a local chain of running stores. In the fall of 2003, I completed a HM but several months later got injured and fell off the running wagon. Even without injury, I definitely have a problem with training consistantly. It seems like if I have a plan and a goal race I can follow through. Off-season, I'm not so dedicated.

I had been wanting to try a triathlon for several years and last year I finally did it. I completed several try-a-tris with the longest being 200m OW swim, 20 km bike, and 5km run. I ended up walking much of the run so one of my goals this year is to improve my running fitness. I am a VERY slow runner and I really want to improve. I would like to focus on completing some sprint tris this summer with possibly building up to an Olympic distance later in the summer.

This past Sept, I joined a local Master's Swim Club. I'm really enjoying it and I find it pretty easy to attend consistantly. We meet three time a week for an hour each time. I'm a pretty good swimmer, as I was a lifeguard in high school and I'm confident in the water. I can give as good as I get in the "washing machine".

So what I guess I need to concentrate on the most is biking and running. Lately I have been focused on low HR, aerobic training in both. I have a treadmill at home that can keep me running through the winter, and I just got a trainer for my bike.

Oh yeah, weight....I'm 5'8" and weigh about 158 lbs. I was 147 when I did the HM in 2003 so I'd at least like to get back down to that.

So thanks for reading my novel and I look forward to a great 2007 tri season for us both.

2006-12-16 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hi Elaine,

I want to join too! My name is Pam. I am a 21 year old college student at the University of Minnesota. I am studying child psychology hoping to go to nursing school someday soon, so I have a very busy schedule these days. Last September I completed my first season, starting from not being able to even run a mile to completing my first 5K, 10K, sprint distance triathlon and duathlon. I absolutely love reading about the sport, nutrition and making me a better athlete. Running is by far my hardest sport and as I look at competing in long distances I realize that my running needs to be my focus. I am training for a marathon this spring and longer races this summer. I am hoping in September 2008 to participate in IMWI and successfully complete the race. Any advice and motivation would be absolutely wonderful!! I look forward to also motivating everyone else too!

Have a good weekend!
Pam
2006-12-16 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Ohh yea, I also forgot to mention, since I have started doing triathlons, I have lost 30 pounds and have about 30 more to go until I am in the shape that I think is ultimate for IM. I have a hard time eating well so any motivation there will be great!

Pam
2006-12-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: #625693

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Welcome to the group, Rae! Always nice to meet a fellow engineer, and a dog lover too!

I hear ya on the running part. I am not a fast runner at all. But I'm working on it. Last year at the SOMA half Ironman I walked the ENTIRE run portion of the event. This year I went back and ran all the way to mile 9 before a cramp set in, but running that far helped to take an hour off of my previous time. I think we all have those races that we like to go back the next year and get revenge on.

I just joined up with Master's swimming too. It's keeping me motivated to swim during these colder months. Last year I didn't swim at all during the winter, and it bit me hard when I got back in the pool in Feb. So I'm going to try to stick with Master's 3x per week for the next few months.

Have you checked out the Spinervals DVDs? I've been using those for trainer rides and they are EXCELLENT! When I was shopping for a trainer people would say "Oh I hate the trainer....all I do is stare at the wall." I think it's because they didn't have a goal other than to spin for a certain amount of time. But Spinervals is a focused workout, and Coach Troy tells you everything you need to do. I've only been using them for a few weeks, but I'm really impressed. It's nice to have a structured workout with a focus on what to do.

So do you have an Oly you've been eyeing on the horizon for possibly doing this summer? You've got lots of time to prepare, and with the help of the group here we'll do everything to help you get there!

2006-12-16 2:46 PM
in reply to: #625735

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Hi Pam! Welcome aboard!

Wow...college and keeping up with the training...you are one busy gal! It's cool that you keep active while in school. But you've got a great advantage of getting into this sport while you're so young.

I'll share any lessons I learn with ya as I train for IMAZ, and maybe that will help as you think about IMWI for '08. I'm quickly finding out how much focus and time management you have to have while training for an event like this, especially if you work full time or have other obligations that take up the majority of your time. But some mornings it means getting up at 4AM to be on the trainer to be done and into work by 7. Hey, if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes. Thankfully this will all be over with by April.

We'll do everything we can to keep ya motivated. I'm hoping this group will become a virtual workout group where we keep updated on each other and motivate/advise each other as needed. I can't tell you all how happy I am that this is starting to take off!

2006-12-16 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hey Rae,
I agree with Elaine about Spinervals. They are absolutely great. I have one specifically made for Irongirl, a set of races across the country, and it combines spinning and some training on the exercise ball. Check them out...I think it's great for a little bit of extra motivation.
Good luck!
2006-12-16 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I would love to be part of your group. I'm planning my first tri in 2007, not decided yet on which one. Will give you more details on my background etc. when I have a few more minutes to spend online. For now please include me in your group. Thanks, Cathy
2006-12-16 5:59 PM
in reply to: #625887

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Welcome Cathy! Your first tri will be in 2007....that's awesome! Looking forward to hearing more about you.
2006-12-16 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Carleton Place, Ontario
It is funny you mention it. This past week I just tried the Spinervals for the first time. I agree they are motivating. I got the 5 DVD Aerobic workout set. I can't make it through a whole workout yet but that gives me a goal to work up to right?

I should probably do some sort of LT test as I'm just working on a guesstimate right now. I'll try to do that next week.

By the way, tomorrow morning, our Masters swim club is hosting a "fun" swim meet geared for newbies. I'm racing the 25 and 50m freestyle and breaststroke. I'm nervous but it should be fun. I'll fill you all in about it tomorrow.

Pam, congrats on all your accomplishments last season. You are really ratcheting up your running distances. All that and juggling school too.

Cathy, can't wait to hear more about your goals.

Sounds like we are all trying to work on our running.
2006-12-16 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA

I would like to join this group, as well, if I may!

I've been on BT for a long time, but I really have a hard time staying motivated and need more support and accountability. Here are my stats:

Family: Living with my BF for 3 years, no kids, 1 dog, 2 cats. The BF is not a triathlete and is unsupportive about it about half the time (which is another hurdle).

How I Train: First, I spend a lot of time figuring how to get OUT of training :-). Other than that, I always have a plan. If I don't have something on the calendar that says "Tuesday--60 minute spin, 15 minute T-run" nothing will happen. Right now I'm with Team in Training so I use their plan but I don't go to group workouts much.

I have done two sprints, I have a half in May and am going to IMC in August. I am always BOP and am incredibly uncomfortable in the water.

Weigh loss goals: My weight isn't bad. I wouldn't mind being 135 (I'm 143 right now, at 5' 9" but my body fat percentage is HUGE. I do not exaggerate, I have a ridiculous body fat percentage so it is my goal to try and burn thru that without eating skinless chicken and plain broccoli for the rest of my life.

Other: I travel a lot for work which makes it really easy to miss a lot of workouts. Also, besides my Ironteam friends, and I do'nt see them often, I have no other companions in the sport so I could use a smaller group here on BT to communicate (and commiserate) with.

Thanks for doing this! BT.com is amazing and this is just another element that rocks.

--leslie

2006-12-16 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Elaine,
I am interested in joining your group.
2006-12-16 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
My name is Karen

The picture is my son.
MY STORY: I have run many 5ks, 10ks, half marathons, and two marathon. I am not a fast runner but I am working at getting faster. I have done one triathlon and one duathlon. I have been setting little goals for myself with the triathlons and runs. My expectations of myself can be very high and I get upset with myself If I can't meet them. So I have to be thankful that I can train and do my best. I think this mentoring program is great. I am interested in meeting new people and encouraging others.
FAMILY : I have a husband, a son, and a dog. Husband is supportive.
Training : My New years goals are to stay in shape make little improvements with my training.
Weight : I don't really have any weight issues. I maintain my weight. I am medium build. I don't want to gain weight thats for sure.

2006-12-16 11:34 PM
in reply to: #626010

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Hi Leslie! We're glad to have you in the group!

Sorry to hear about the BF being unsupportive. But that's why we're all here, to help with that support. I'm sure it makes it tough, but hopefully it will improve over time.

I'm sure frequent travel for work makes the training tough. I rarely have to travel for work, but when I do it always messes up the training plan. I almost can never find a pool that would work for lap swimming (the play pools at hotels just don't cut it), and biking is definitley out, so it's usually running. But I've traveled to a few places where the hotel doesn't have a treadmill or gym, and outside is just plain scary for running, so I guess it just becomes an extended rest period. In the future I'm going to try taking a deflated fit ball along to inflate at the hotel, and maybe do some core workouts. Or I guess there's always yoga on the TV to follow along with.

Our little group is coming together quite well here!

2006-12-16 11:43 PM
in reply to: #626085

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Hi Karen! We're glad to have ya! Cute pic of your son.

You've got lots of running experience, so I'll definitely be picking your brain about that. IMAZ will be my first marathon, so I have a lot to learn. I'm thinking nutrition and pacing on the bike will be key for surviving the marathon. That and the mental side as well. Right now I'm having trouble wrapping my head around 26.2 miles of running (well, for me it will be shuffling ). I always hear these horror stories about people getting sick or having to run from porta potty to porta potty. I'd really like to avoid that as much as possible.

Everyone here is interested in encouraging each other, so I think this is going to work out great. I can't wait to hear more about everyone's experiences and learning more.

2006-12-16 11:49 PM
in reply to: #625948

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

raebo - 2006-12-16 3:11 PM I

It is funny you mention it. This past week I just tried the Spinervals for the first time. I agree they are motivating. I got the 5 DVD Aerobic workout set. 

Oh I am jealous! I have asked Santa for that set this year. I originally bought 2 Spinervals to try out (1.0, "Sweating Buckets" and 8.0, "Recovery & Technique" ) and I needed more just for a little variety. TriSports.com is located here in Tucson, and I stopped by to buy that box set but they didn't have a complete set. So I bought 2 other individual videos. Hopefully Santa will come through for me. My Master's swim coach also works for Coach Troy, so she has the entire set. On Thurs nights we are going to start doing spinning after swimming, where we all bring our trainers down to the pool and do a Spinervals workout in the lobby together. First try of it is this week, so we'll see how it goes.

2006-12-17 12:05 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hey Karen and the rest of the group!

Karen, I hope you don't mind a lot of questions because I am in the fourth week of my 10K program and then I am transitioning right from there to my marathon program. I signed up for a marathon in May and I have a lot of work to go before I can even think about that. The 4 mile run today was killer and running 20 just scares me to death!

I have a question I am going to throw out there. Tonight I went ice skating with a bunch of friends for some finals relief and granted I did run 4.5 miles today but my ankles were really weak and my shins were hurting. Why is this? I would think with all the biking and running I would have stronger ankles. But what is up with my shins? Does anyone think this is a good way to build up some strength going into my marathon training?

Well night everyone!
2006-12-17 12:08 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's Group - FULL

Well ladies, it looks as if we have formed our official group: Elaine (me), Rae, Pam, Cathy, Leslie, and Karen. Our group is now full. For other folks who are reading this thread and are still interested in joining a group, we have many terrific mentors available in the mentor forum. Just scroll through the ones that are still open and post to the one you'd like to join.

I've added you all as a link in my training blog, because I've found that makes it easy to check in on each other's training. I usually go to my blog the first thing every time I log onto BT, and that way everyone is just one click away. I love the "inspire me" function on there, so feel free to drop in on anyone in the group (or anyone else on BT) and leave a little note. After awhile you start to look forward to the little red numbers next to your blog every day.

We'll also keep this thread active by posting our thoughts, questions, and anything else we may have on our minds. Basically it will be our online clubhouse, so don't be shy and jump in with anything you'd like to add.

Edited by PirateGirl 2006-12-17 12:31 AM
2006-12-17 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Hi everyone.. sorry for the delay in giving my bio but I had only a minute to log on yesterday. I've read over everyone else's info and find I have something in common with most of you!

I will turn 47 in a couple months. I live near Kingston, Ontario not too far away from you Rae. I've been to Carleton Place many times.

My background is running which I started in July '98. I remember that first week doing 20 minutes of run 1/walk 1 and feeling like I would die every minute I ran. Since then I have run 3 full marathons, several halfs, and lots of 5, 8 and 10K races. I have wanted to get into triathlon for a while, and last year participated in the local one on a relay team, me being the runner of course. It was really exciting and fun to be part of so I decided I will do what it takes to do it solo in 2007. My swimming talent consisted of dog paddle only, so I knew I needed some swimming instruction. Through August and Sept I read everything I could find on swimming technique, and talked a lot to a friend who swims on a Masters team. I started swimming lessons in Oct. and will continue them in Jan, as well as hopefully joining the Masters swim team.

As far as weightloss I have battled my weight my whole life. I was always the fat kid all through school. In my 20s I was 120-125 (didn't exercise at all but smoked a lot!). At 30 I quit smoking and gained about 40 pounds. It took me a couple years to get back down to the low 140s which is where I am now. I'd like to lose 10 - 15 lbs by the middle of March.

I am married, with 2 grown children, one of whom lives with us. We have a Shiztsu and a cat. We live in the country with lots of good running/biking roads surrounding us.

My biggest obstacles to triathlon are 1)I work shift work, 12 hour days and nights which can make it tough to get in workouts sometimes 2)my husband is at times quite unsupportive 3)I need a bike !! shopping for one in the new year.

And lastly my goals for 2007 - I want to run a spring and a fall marathon, looking at the Shamrock in VA beach in March.. that will depend how much mileage I get in over the holidays. If it isn't enough I'll probably run the Missassauga or Ottawa in May. I will do the local tri but it's not until August so I'm looking at one or two shorter ones earlier, but haven't decided on any yet. I would definately want to do a 1/2 IM in 2008, and a full IM in 2010, the year I turn 50. I did my first marathon (in fact it was my first running race) the year I turned 40.

I'm excited about being part of this goup. Now I need to get out for a run.
Cathy
2006-12-17 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Carleton Place, Ontario
Hey looks like we've got a full house. That's awesome.

Cathy, looks like you are just down the road. Maybe we'll actually end up doing the same race one of these days.

So I'm really pleased with myself today. This morning was my first ever swim meet and it went great! I completely exceeded my own expectations so I'm really pumped. This despite, having nightmares last night that I couldn't get my goggles to seal correctly so I didn't sleep too well.

Here are my results:
25m freestyle: 19.82 (in-pool start in shallow end)
50m freestyle: 39.72 (off the blocks)
25m breaststroke: 25.30 (in-pool start in shallow end)
50m breaststroke: 49.33 (off the blocks)

I even ended up with hardware (christmas decorations) for each of the events.

I also swam a 50m leg of a freestyle relay but I don't have the splits for that.

Hope all of you had a great day too.
2006-12-17 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Everyone,
Raebo, sounds like you had a fun swim today.

As far as shin splints I think they are caused from upping your mileage to fast. You might have to read on shin splints. I have not an injury as far as I know from running. I think shin splints you need to take time off from running. Please read info about that I don't want to give the wrong advice.

You are going to like the Shamrock Marathon. It is a lot of fun here in Virginia Beach. It is a well organized race. Make sure you take rest breaks with Marathon training. Are you following a schedule? How long have you been running?

Ok. Everyone have a great week. Keep up the training. Don't eat to many Christmas cookies this week.

2006-12-18 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hey everyone,
Did anyone catch my message from before?

I have a question I am going to throw out there. Tonight I went ice skating with a bunch of friends for some finals relief and granted I did run 4.5 miles today but my ankles were really weak and my shins were hurting. Why is this? I would think with all the biking and running I would have stronger ankles. But what is up with my shins? Does anyone think this is a good way to build up some strength going into my marathon training?

What I forgot to mention during my intro is I am slowing gettting back from a 4 week break after a pretty serious bacteria infection. My biggest worry is I am going to push too hard after that break and hurt myself. Does anyone have any tips to keep me from going nuts?

Have a great day!
2006-12-18 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Okay, I'm bored and killing time at work! I wanted to just tell everyone since I read it somewhere that you were suppose to tell a bunch of your closest friends when you sign up for a marathon that I have signed up for a marathon! May 20th, I am running the Green Bay Cellcom Marathon! Oh boy, 26.2 miles, I had better get going if I am going to make it. Any tips for a first time racer?
2006-12-18 11:59 AM
in reply to: #626918

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA

Now that you've told us, we'll harrass you via your logs and make sure you have accountability :-).

Good job!!!!!

2006-12-18 12:33 PM
in reply to: #626893

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Hi Pam,

This is a total guess (as I've never ice skated before) but could it be from those small adjustments your ankle and lower leg muscles have to make to keep your balance on skates? Maybe skating causes certain muscles to wake up and have to work differently than the running and biking leg muscles. That's the only think I can think of.

Congrats on signing up for the marathon! Once you spend money you're committed. Now you have 5 people to keep an eye on you and your training.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6