Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-25 1:57 PM
in reply to: #625459

User image

Veteran
Carleton Place, Ontario
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's Group - FULL
Just registered. Makes me nervous but I guess I'm committed now. ;-)

Salt tabs...I guess I'll have to do a bit of reading on that. Thanks for the heads up.

2007-01-25 2:09 PM
in reply to: #667719

User image

Expert
Ontario
Don't you even think of leaving !! There are now three of us training for spring marathons, and pirategirl also with her IM, so if nothing else we can help each other with running !! I don't even have a bike yet so I can't really say I'm 'triathlon training' any more than you are. Please don't leave the group.
2007-01-25 2:13 PM
in reply to: #667975

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA

cathyd - 2007-01-25 12:09 PM Don't you even think of leaving !! There are now three of us training for spring marathons, and pirategirl also with her IM, so if nothing else we can help each other with running !! I don't even have a bike yet so I can't really say I'm 'triathlon training' any more than you are. Please don't leave the group.

Thank you!!! I can't tell you the layer of stress that has lifted off of me now that I know I don't have to worry about the IM in August. Ok, so I"m looking at doing either the San Diego Rock n Roll or the Mayors run in Anchorage. Rock n Roll would be near my family but when would I ever get to Alaska again?! Both are in June, which seems a lifetime away, but is really just around the corner.

Now, I find myself eager to get out there and train. All in one decision, it stopped being something I have to do and became something I want to do.

Lovin' you guys!

--leslie

2007-01-25 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

You shouldn't have to leave our group just because you dropped the race.  I don't think any of us judge each other off of what races we do.  I use you guys for support and ideas when I have problems or when I just need that extra kick...so stick with us!

2007-01-29 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: Another week/month gone by
I'm not very happy with last week. I ended up doing nothing on Thursday so had 3 days of nothing. I only swam twice and ran 3 times, and didn't do my long run.
Overall January was ok, but not great. I didn't meet any of my January goals. I haven't lost any weight. I still haven't done any bike training. My running mileage is too low. Swimming I am happy with.
For Feb I really need to work on sticking to the plan. The focus is on running and swimming, and I need to get the long runs done every week.
I need your help group... no more of those sweet inspires, its time to get tough !! Summer is right around the corner !

Edited by cathyd 2007-01-29 3:19 PM
2007-01-30 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Carleton Place, Ontario
Cathy,
Forget about last week, forget about last month...focus on the future. I will make it my personal mission to get on your case. ;-) I'll have a look at your plan and start cheerleading and guilt-tripping. If you don't comply, I promise to come to the Smith's Falls event and heckle. ;-)

As for me, the last month has been great. Thank you all for your support and encouragement. I've dropped 4 or 5 lbs and am starting to remember what a waist looks like. Last week my partner Ally commented how she can feel that my body is getting firmer. That definitely made me feel good. And so far no injuries.

So I guess it is time to set some new goals for February. I have a plan all set up already so that is in place. My eating is mostly under control now. So here are some other goals:
1) Do at least one run per week outdoors. (as spring comes I will gradually increase this)
2) Do at least 2 core training sessions per week (even if they are just short ones)
3) Do 1 strength training session a week.

How about the rest of you? What are you focusing on for February?

2007-01-30 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Cathy, I have been in your shoes COUNTLESS times but I agree, dwell not and look ahead! Since I joined the run team instead of the Ironteam I have this new found energy. I have a goal instead of a chore, and I am so excited to get out there and work. So be out there working with me! Only do it faster then I do.....
2007-01-31 12:27 AM
in reply to: #672513

User image

Expert
Ontario
Thanks Rae. I have now loaded my planned training into my log so I am much more accountable if I don't do it.
2007-01-31 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Hi ladies--any of you ever worked with a nutritionist or dietician? My weight is good, I'm 5'9", 143# but quite literally 1/3 of my weight is fat. I may only be on a home Tanita, my body fat hasn't been taken by a full blown tank system, but it's accurate enough for me to know I've got a problem. Additionally, I have a will power problem and a 'no time to cook' problem so I need professional help. This is different from weight watchers, for example, which focuses more on strict weight loss rather than changing mass from fat to anything but fat. Any experiences here? 
2007-01-31 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hey there,

I am not working with a dietitian, but I am on nutrisystem and I have lost 30 pounds with that.   Yea I know there are a lot of commericials out there for it, but it does work.  If you have any question about it let me know!

2007-02-01 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Girls,
I am focusing doing this half marathon in 3 weeks and my longest run has been almost 7 miles. I am CRAZY Hee! Hee! My brother is in town so I am doing this for him and he is running the race. My goals are to do it in 2:18 and have a good time. I better get running. Karen

2007-02-01 8:35 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hi everyone,

Here is my Feb goals.  I am just hoping to stay healthy and keep up the progress.

February Goals:

-Have a 95% month for exercise

-Do yoga 5 times this month

-Take better care of my legs

-Learn how to eat
2007-02-06 11:54 AM
in reply to: #675550

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

newadventures - 2007-02-01 8:36 AM

Hi Girls, I am focusing doing this half marathon in 3 weeks and my longest run has been almost 7 miles. I am CRAZY Hee! Hee! My brother is in town so I am doing this for him and he is running the race. My goals are to do it in 2:18 and have a good time. I better get running. Karen

You'll be fine! There's lots of folks that do half marys with a lot less training or even no training. You've still got 2 weeks plus one week of taper, so keep up the running!

2007-02-06 11:56 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Well, my last week of training went down the tubes. The hotel gym was only open from 6am to 10pm, and we ended up working 14 hr days while out there. I could've gotten some training in if it were a 24 hr gym. But I did get a long bike ride of 5hrs in this weekend, so that was a pretty big thing. I figure it's ok to miss some of the smaller workouts (if I can't help it like with the travel) but the long workouts I MUST get done.

I'm hoping I don't have to travel until after April from now on!

Edited by PirateGirl 2007-02-06 11:56 AM
2007-02-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: #681213

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
PirateGirl - 2007-02-06 9:56 AM

Well, my last week of training went down the tubes. The hotel gym was only open from 6am to 10pm, and we ended up working 14 hr days while out there. I could've gotten some training in if it were a 24 hr gym. But I did get a long bike ride of 5hrs in this weekend, so that was a pretty big thing. I figure it's ok to miss some of the smaller workouts (if I can't help it like with the travel) but the long workouts I MUST get done.

I'm hoping I don't have to travel until after April from now on!

I can totally relate to this experience but sticking that long bike ride onto the weekend is an AWESOME accomplishment after such a grueling work week. when I finish with a week of work travel, I want to sleep for three days!

2007-02-12 12:58 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Well here we are at mid-February. Time seems to be flying by so quickly!

This weekend we're doing a 24 hour mountain bike race. I've got 2 teams of Tri Girls from our club (and their husbands) put together for this. People keep getting sick or injured. If we even make it to the start line it will be a victory. We're just doing it for fun, and not to be competitive. So I hope this weekend works out well. The race course is 15 miles long, so everyone should get about 4 laps in.

I've warned them all about food though. For this event you're eating and riding a bike when your stomach is used to sleeping. So I've learned (the hard way) it's best to be nice to it. I'm going to rely on a mostly liquid diet of Spiz, bananas, strawberry fig newtons, and Shot Bloks. Pretty similar to what I've used for HIMs in the past. But some people go for the pasta, burritos, etc at 3am. Fine for them...but not for me!

So I'll have to let you all know how it goes. I've taken Monday off from work, so I'll probably do my race report then. After getting some sleep, of course.

2007-02-14 4:19 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Happy Valentine's Day ladies!

Wouldn't ya know it...the day I FINALLY see the scale move down 2 lbs is the day I am surrounded by chocolate candies and treats. I have such a sweet tooth that it is a loosing battle. Chocolate is my weakness! Oh well...hopefully I'll burn it off this weekend.

2007-02-19 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Carleton Place, Ontario
A brand new week brings a brand new training plan...

Yesterday I finished the 8 wk maintenance plan. I was really pleased with how well I did with it. I followed it consistently and it seems to be paying off. Between all the exercise and eating better, I've lost about 8 lbs over the 8 weeks. I'm noticing formerly flabbly bits turning into more muscley bits. Even better, my partner Ally is noticing formerly flabbly bits turning into more muscley bits. ;-)

And through all the volume, I've managed to stay pretty healthy. My only complaint is that my piriformis is starting to tighten up again. Rather than let it get worse and worse like I usually do, I went to see my physiotherapist last week. Between her efforts and getting massages, I think we can get it taken care of. Otherwise I'm feeling great.

So today, I start the 26 week Olympic training program. If I can do anywhere near as well following it as with the winter plan, I am going to be one lean and mean triathlete by August.

Hope everyone has a great week. I know some of you have been/are soon doing some racing. How's it going?

2007-02-19 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Well my first race of the season is done and I am really happy with myself for the most part.  The swim was awesome...I can't believe how far I went.  The bike went pretty well but my legs were tired from the swim and the run caused my knee to flare up but it was okay... well I am going to go write my race report so you all can read about it in full!  Next I start training for my running season and building my body for the bike and swim.    I decided after long debates that I am going to change my registration from the full marathon to the half marathon in May.  I don't want to be not prepared enough and DNF when I want to do so well.  I do want to do well my first one so instead I am going to do the Twin Cities in fall and just do the half marathon for Cellcom.  So what is going on with everyone else?
2007-02-19 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi everyone,
Sorry I seem distance from writing. I guess I need to post more on here. I know I have kind of tough with some of my comments. Sorry If I have offended anyone.
I am going to try and post more on here instead of leaving a lot of posts on each persons training logs. Have a Great week everyone and thanks for the support. Karen
2007-03-01 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Here we are starting our third month of 2007. Some of you (Rae and Elaine especially) are doing great, some of us are struggling to meet our goals. And a couple of us are dealing with injury, for me the knee problems I'm having may represent my first injury in 9 years of running.
The mentoring group, and the BT web site have helped me a lot to keep working, although not as much as I had planned to do. Consistent winter running has always been a problem for me as I really, really hate cold weather and TM running makes me crazy.
Overall I'm happy with what I've done so far this year. I've gone from struggling to swim 25 yards without drowning in Oct. to swimming 100's of yards per session. My running mileage has been low but I'm really being careful with this knee right now, I do not want an injury to sideline me. And I've bought a road bike and trainer so starting tomorrow I can say that I am a real triathlete in training, logging time in all three sports. I'm looking forward to a great March.

And how are you all doing/feeling?? Elaine the clock is ticking, you must be getting excited. Karen just finished a half marathon and beat her goal time and Rae is racking up the miles. Pam take care of that IT band- that injury can take a lot of time to fix and being healthy is more important than running any one specific race (ie. the 1/2 in ten weeks might be too much, but you have lots of years to run lots of races), Leslie - hope you are still out there, remember we do this for fun, if a race entry causes stress dump the race and just get out there and run/bike/swim for you !!
Take care everyone
Cathy

2007-03-01 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi everyone,
I think I am doing good. I am just going to continue to train and sign up here for a couple of races Thanks for all the support. This was a great idea. Karen
2007-03-01 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Yep I am trying to take care of that IT band and get myself better.  The good news is I believe I can walk the half marathon if I have to so there is no pressure to run it   I am going to be setting goals for March probably tomorrow, but thank you for all the encouragement and inspiration along the way.
2007-03-05 2:20 PM
in reply to: #708384

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

cathyd - 2007-03-01 3:53 PM

Elaine the clock is ticking, you must be getting excited.

Oh gosh I'm starting to freak out! I feel so unprepared! Some gals from my tri club and I did a ride and run on the course this weekend, and it was the windiest weekend ever! None of us did the full 100 miles on the ride. Wind gusts up to 40 mph were awful. It took everything out of me. I REALLY hope there's no wind on race day. Sunday I did one loop of the run course, which was about 8.7 miles. We have to do 3 loops. I think I've convinced my head that it's 2 loops and a parade lap. I'm going to spend the last lap walking a lot and hugging all of the volunteers.

I had this idea. I'm going to put a little Thank You card in each of my transition and special needs bags to give to the volunteers that are right there. I figure it will be a nice suprise for them.

Well ladies, it's March so let's start training like lions.

2007-03-05 2:23 PM
in reply to: #708489

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

crea0029 - 2007-03-01 6:13 PM Yep I am trying to take care of that IT band and get myself better.  The good news is I believe I can walk the half marathon if I have to so there is no pressure to run it  

Hey, that's a good way to do it! Hope the IT band stuff clears up soon!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6