Other Resources Challenge Me! » "Train Smart Race Fast" 3 months challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2006-12-18 11:41 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: "Train Smart Race Fast" 3 months challenge

FYI – I am just coming out from been sick for over two months, hence my training took a huge hit and I am NOT in the same shape as I was back in September. I am planning to return to structured training as of January 1st and build from there slowly for steady for hopefully a successful and FAST 2007 season 

For those of you who are about to start training in a structured way for the first time and/or returning from a long inactive period and aren’t sure how to go about doing that I decided to start this "Train Smart Race Fast" 3 month challenge and give you with some ideas/pointers of how to go about doing that. December is always of a tough month to train because of the holidays, traveling, family, etc. For that reason I won’t stress too much about training for the next two weeks. I’ll just work on doing some very easy workouts and staying active. IMO January will be a good time to do so as we’ll all have renewed motivation and the desire to kick off the year on a positive note right?

I am a big believer of smart and consistent training (thanks to my coach) and for that reason I like to work on getting my body ready for the hard work ahead. Before any crazy volume, elaborate plans or challenging sessions I like to accomplish two things:
1st I like to determine what my ‘current’ level of fitness is
2nd I like to get myself ready for intense and/or long training sessions by working on easy base training for at least 6 weeks

First we need to get our body ready for the base phase by doing unstructured easy sessions for at least two weeks. In this case, I’ll use the rest of December for that. No matter what, I’ll do some training EVERY day. All very easy and simple: maybe 10-20 min easy jogging or 10-20 min of easy swimming or 30+ min of easy riding. (By easy I mean your barely break a sweat!) Everyday other day I’ll also try to do at least 10-20 min of easy strength training (nothing with heavy weight. More like active stretching and balancing exercises). Other options could be long walks, yoga, hiking, skiing, etc.

Coming up Monday January 1st I’ll work on setting up the foundation for my racing season. What I am planning to do is to work on developing a SOLID running and swimming base for at least 6 weeks. (I’ll shoot to build up to 5-6x run and 6-8x swim a week, but if you are a beginner a good goals is 4x run and 4x swim and eventually add 2x bike a week)

The 1st thing on the agenda for 2007 will be to do a Run Time Trail Field Test. This test will help me determine my CURRENT running fitness level and also it will help me determine my running heart rate/pacing training zones. It is very important to begging our training based on where we are TODAY and NOT where we would like to be 6 months down the road. (Otherwise we’ll be risking injuries)

Once we determine our training zones well use those to gauge the intensity of our sessions. For this phase most sessions will be at “easy/steady or Z1/Z2” For Biking I’ll only do 2x week because it is kind of difficult to ride often this time of the year (I live in the Northeast), plus picking up on cycling fitness it is some how easier. BUT, still coming up February at least one of the biking sessions will be high intensity to develop power.

For January the goal will be to build up frequency slowly but surely. I’ll start with 3x run 15-30 min and 3x swim 15-20 min all done at (Easy/Z1 zone) 1x bike 30 min for the 1st week. At the end of the week I’ll evaluate how easy/hard was to complete all sessions and based on that I’ll either keep the same sessions for the following week or add 1x run same time/intensity and 10 min to one of the swims. If the sessions were challenging I’ll repeat the same or if I wasn’t able to even complete all workouts I'll reduce the time and even might take one session away. The MAIN point is to successfully complete all sessions relatively easy before adding anything for next week.

Please keep this in mind if the session feels easy complete the high end of the range, if it feels challenging stay on the low range. If you can’t complete the session cut it short and the next one go for the time you managed to accomplish in the 1st one. Until you feel comfortable completing certain time at easy pace THEN increase the time a bit until you can comfortably do 3x run at 20 min, 3x swim 20 min and 1x bike 30 min all easy/Z1 pace. If this is the case you spend 7 or 8 week on this phase but that is OK! It is better to have a solid foundation before moving forward. For the swim work on your technique on the shorter sessions and do long sets on the long ones.

Week 1: 3x run (all 15-20 min except the run test which will be 30 min), 3x swim (all 15-20 min) 1x bike (25-30 min) all session done at Z1 1 or Easy
Week 2: if you didn’t manage to complete all sessions relatively easy then repeat week 1. But if you managed to complete all sessions relatively easy THEN >> 4x run (all 15-20 min), 3x swim (20-25 min), 1x bike (30-40 min) all session done at Z1 1 or Easy
Week 3: if you didn’t manage to complete all sessions relatively easy then repeat week 2. But if you managed to complete all sessions relatively easy THEN >> 4x run (3 runs 20 min, 1 run 30 min), 3x swim (2 swim 20 min 1 swim 30 min), 1x bike (30-40 min) all session done at Z1 1 or Easy
Week 4: if you didn’t manage to complete all sessions relatively easy then repeat week 3. But if you managed to complete all sessions relatively easy THEN >> 5x run (3 runs 20 min, 1 run 15 min, 1 run 30 min), 3x swim (3 swim 25 min, 1 swim 30 min), 1x bike (40-60 min) all session done at Z1 1 or Easy
Week 5: if you didn’t manage to complete all sessions relatively easy then repeat week 4. But if you managed to complete all sessions relatively easy THEN >> 5x run (3 runs 20 min, 1 run 15 min, 1 run 40 min), 4x swim (3 swim 20 min, 1 swim 30 min), 1x bike (40-60 min) all session done at Z1 1 or Easy
Week 6: if you didn’t manage to complete all sessions relatively easy then repeat week 5. But if you managed to complete all sessions relatively easy THEN >> 5x run (3 runs 20 min, 1 run 15 min, 1 run 50 min), 5x swim (4 swim 20 min, 1 swim 40 min), 2x bike (30-40 min) all session done at Z1 1 or Easy

After week six and if you managed to complete all your sessions somehow easy and notice the improvement on your fitness level then we’ll move forward to the next 4-6 week block with more volume/intensity or both. But before getting too excited and adding anything, as Jack Daniels PhD would said : 1st  you should prove it!
You should do another run test and compared results. You will notice either: you covered more distance than in your 1st test at the same HR; you cover the same distance at a lower HR or both (You could also enter a race which will take you around 30-40 min to complete for extra motivation)

Keep in mind that this is a very basic approach and of course there are things missing but this ‘should’ give you a starting point of how to go about working on your base training. I think simple is better and I am intending to keep my training that way.  Some plans called for very elaborate sessions (and sometimes I do the same for my athletes) but I think this will work.

Who is with me?

2006-12-18 11:58 AM
in reply to: #626920

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: "Train Smart Race Fast" 3 months challenge
Run Time Trail Field Test

A very simple but highly effective approach to calculate your Heart Rate training zones is by performing a 30 min running time trial field test. This can be accomplished either on a track, treadmill or a somehow flat running loop/trail. If the test is done in the treadmill please make sure to have enough fluids as the heat will affect you more. Also for the test is imperative for you to wear a heart rate monitor with a lap feature so you can store the information for the entire test.
Run test protocol:

After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish 3-5 20 seconds bursts of speed at a faster pace (not all out) with 20 sec of easy walk to recover in order to get your heart rate going.

The 30 minute Run Time Trail Field Test begins:
Remember that the goal of the test is for you to run as fast as possible but at a pace which allows you to complete the entire 30 min test.
Start the test and start recording your heart rate. 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test. Remember to also record the distance that you covered for the entire 30 min calculate your pace.
The average for the final 20 minutes is what you’ll use to calculate your Lactate Threshold
It is very important that you should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.
After the test run/jog/walk easy for 15 minutes as cool down.

Use the BT Lactate Threshold method located on your logs to calculate your zones.

2006-12-18 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I'm in the "contemplation stage" -- Have printed the outline, Thought about LT run testing more than a few times in recent weeks, and Just need to pick a date to do the deed!

I'll let you know if I can get on-board with you.  Overall, the plan sounds Very Good!

Cheers, -Sunny

2006-12-18 1:45 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
One thing I forgot to add in my original post: This foundation WILL work for any athlete. If you have been training consistently for the past 3 months, you can also follow this outline with minor changes, such as more time per session and/or frequency. And YES you should still do most of your training at an easy/steady intensity through this time in order to set yourself for a better and faster 2007 racing season. Doing too much intensity early in the season might help in the short term but it also might jeopardize your peak performance later on.

For instance while a beginner might be doing 3x easy run at 20 min each and 3 x swim at 20 min all easy, an experienced runner could start at 3x steady run at 30 min plus 1 long run at 60 min easy pace and 4x swim at 45-60 min each.

Also the easy pace for a beginner might be at 11:00-10:00 pace per mile while an experienced runner it might at 8:00-7:00. As long as the pace is truly easy for the runner it should work.

Although training at our LT will make us faster, the biggest limiter for most of us is that me don’t run enough. Until we get in a decent amount of running time EACH week, just running lots EASY will make us considerably faster with lower risk of injuries…

2006-12-18 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

seems easy to you....  LOL.  here we go.  Will try to keep up along w/coaching.  It is going to be fun

By the way, are those May dates too close for A races...enough recovery time??

2006-12-18 4:51 PM

Online or Offline
Hola Jorge!

Wow this sounds like a cool challenge!

I want IN - but as you know I travel for work. I'll try to get all my sessions in - running and "some form" of biking whether it's a stationary or recumbent bike shouldn't be a problem while I'm on the road (but I hate it!). The swimming -- well, it's hit or miss depending on which city I'm staying at, and how much time I have available to me on the overnights.

Now that I've mentioned the travelling, I'll try to do work no more than 3 days away per week, which will hopefully allow me 4 days of availability to my own bike, gym, pool, etc.

Having said that, my A Race is June 22, Lake Placid, and I want to do Mooseman 1/2 and Patriot 1/2 also before Lake Placid. Will this 6 week ramp up be ok for me starting Jan 1st? I sorta feel like it's a long time of "prep", but what do I know? Maybe I'm just feeling July creep on me too fast since I've been REALLY SLACKING the last few weeks.

2006-12-18 5:08 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

May - I replied this to Mark rollinbones who had a similar concern via PM

>>>If pool time will be an issue, you should focus on running a bit more and maybe shoot for 2x swim and 2x bike. Whatever you can do as long as you can cope with running which will pay the most returns coming up August! (you'll be faster for sure )

As you know there are different ways to approach training, hence any combination can work as long as you build your volume consistent at low intensity for "x" period. IMO to have a running focus early in the season will set you up better for later stages in the training plan. So if you can do more running through this time maybe you can shoot for 4-6x run and just maintain 1 or 2 bike/swim sessions.

The goal of this challenge is for us to keep motivating each other and training smart in order to avoid setbacks.

2006-12-18 5:25 PM
in reply to: #627293

Elite
Laurium, MI
i'm in.  I just need to kick my into gear and keep me moving.
2006-12-18 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
I'm up for this challenge. I need speed in running and swimming.
2006-12-19 12:13 AM

User image

New user

I am definitely in... What kind of nutrition outline do you recommend Jorge?
2006-12-19 7:49 AM
in reply to: #627528

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Jayson - 2006-12-19 12:13 AM I am definitely in... What kind of nutrition outline do you recommend Jorge?

This evenning I'll post some general guidelines to work on your nutritional needs in particular through this period of time.

Edited by amiine 2006-12-19 7:51 AM

2006-12-19 8:47 AM

Pro
Andover
Hey Jorge,

What days should the workouts be done? For example:
Week 1: 3x run (all 15-20 min except the run test which will be 30 min), 3x swim (all 15-20 min) 1x bike (25-30 min) all session done at Z1 1 or Easy

Which day(s) should have swim and runs? Should the bike be on a swim/run rest day?

Thanks for any clarification.

Considering...

Rob
2006-12-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: #627721

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Which day(s) should have swim and runs? Should the bike be on a swim/run rest day? Thanks for any clarification. Considering... Rob
Well it really depends on your time avail be, schedule and whether you prefer to keep a completely day or two off a week from training or not.
I am thinking something like this:
Monday – swim
Tuesday - run
Wednesday – swim
Thursday – run
Friday – swim
Saturday –run
Sunday – bike

Another option with one day off a week:
Monday – Off
Tuesday – run, swim (two sessions today since yesterday was a rest day)
Wednesday – swim
Thursday – run
Friday – swim
Saturday –bike
Sunday – run

Yet another option with two days off a week:
Monday – Off
Tuesday – run
Wednesday – swim, run (two sessions today since tomorrow will be a rest day)
Thursday – Off
Friday – swim
Saturday – bike
Sunday – run, swim (two sessions today since tomorrow will be a rest day)

As you can see you can play with this and accommodate it with your particular needs. Since all sessions will be easy/steady for now you’ll have plenty of recovery time between sessions. Plus, you should always have warm up and cool down for each sessions and of course work on your fuel, before, while and after each sessions, sleeping well, etc. All this little details will enhance your training and allow you to be ready for the next session!

2006-12-19 5:29 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
First, thanks for all your work on this Jorge! It looks like the goals of the program line up pretty well with what I want to do, especially in running, so I may try to follow along.

I'm going to have to map out some shorter run routes though, as my usual short loop takes me about 30 - 35 minutes. Your plan calls for shorter runs than that to build frequency, which might address the problems I've had in the past with trying to run more often. It seems to be worth a try anyway, and I'm long overdue for some HR retesting.

I also usually swim longer in each session too since the masters swimming that I sometimes attend, and the weekly tri swim lessons I've also been taking, both last an hour each time. However, at masters, I'm in the beginner lanes while I learn some of the other strokes too. We don't usually work really hard there so those sessions are probably equivalent to a shorter steady effort. I might be able to add some shorter swims on my own as well to better follow your program, or I might leave the swimming as it is for now and just concentrate on using your ideas to build up my run. Either way, this program should give my training a little more focus in the new year. Thanks again.

Edited by Micawber 2006-12-19 5:34 PM
2006-12-19 8:11 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

First, thanks for all your work on this Jorge! It looks like the goals of the program line up pretty well with what I want to do, especially in running, so I may try to follow along. I'm going to have to map out some shorter run routes though, as my usual short loop takes me about 30 - 35 minutes. Your plan calls for shorter runs than that to build frequency, which might address the problems I've had in the past with trying to run more often. It seems to be worth a try anyway, and I'm long overdue for some HR retesting.
>>> Well the outline I suggested is based on the fact I am returning to the sport after a long period of forced inactivity and I am taking a conservative approach. 2 weeks into the challenge I might increase (or decrease) based on how my body is absorbing the workload. But you are right about frequency… that will be the name of the game! Well that and been consistent. Maybe you currently run 30-35 min 3x a week. Well, you could start with 4x25 min run a week (only 10 min total more of what you are running right now) it won’t be very taxing as you already run that time but it will get you out there one more day. Once all those 4 runs feel ‘easy’ then you can add a 5th run same time or begin increasing one of your 4th runs to make it your weekly long run until it is like 60-75 min duration.

I also usually swim longer in each session too since the masters swimming that I sometimes attend, and the weekly tri swim lessons I've also been taking, both last an hour each time. However, at masters, I'm in the beginner lanes while I learn some of the other strokes too. We don't usually work really hard there so those sessions are probably equivalent to a shorter steady effort. I might be able to add some shorter swims on my own as well to better follow your program, or I might leave the swimming as it is for now and just concentrate on using your ideas to build up my run.
>>> Both ideas will work. I personally will add more swims because it is one of the aspects I want to work on for 2007. Also *I* believe swimming is a great venue to build aerobic base without inducing much fatigue as with running or biking.  And later on that will benefit when doing more running/biking.  

Now get ready to train smart!

2006-12-20 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
I'm in. I've been looking for a challenge/motivation like this. I will read over it again in more detail later today but it seems like something I could do. My runs will be a bit longer as I'm shooting for a 10k in January, but I really need to be getting to the pool more. I have to let my thumb heal for a few more days then hope to get to the pool 2-3 times/week. Thanks for this Jorge!

2006-12-21 3:37 PM
in reply to: #626938

User image

New user

Ok. I plan to get a heart rate monitor and do the feild test, any recommendations on a brand?? I have changed my A race to an Oly intermediate on April 22, in Las Vegas. That gives me 16 weeks until race time from Jan 1st, and then roughly 25 weeks to train for a HIM I've yet to choose... I want to race in California, or somewhere on the west coast... If anyone knows of a great race in mid October...

Like Jorge, I plan to train unconventionally until the first of Jan. Then begin the 6 week layout he wrote... I would like to put together a 16 week training schedule that will prep me for these distances: 1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run. Also, I want to keep in mind that 25 weeks after this race, I'll be racing a HIM...

As far as a bike goes. I have a mountain bike right now. I plan to get a road bike in the next month or so... Until then, I'll train on my bike. Any recommendations on a good starter bike that won't kill me on cost??

Today I swam 500m in 20min. Then ran for 15min moderate pace. Felt good. Swim is definitely my weakest of the 3... I look forward to making progress...

As far as cross training goes, I will probably be doing some weights, and maybe a little yoga, but probably alot of hiking and some snowboarding this winter. You guys seem to have more experience than me with training... Any other suggestions??

Keep rockin... You all are a big inspiration!!
2006-12-23 10:53 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Hi again Jorge,

I've given it thought and have decided to do the following:

1. add a day of swimming to my routine -- if you say that it really builds aerobic capacity for the bike and run, without the stress, then I'm willing to try it. 
  2. keep my lifting and core training but not let it interfere with the increased running frequency in the build phase of this plan.
  3. not cut back to all Easy, all short sessions -- consistent training works really well for me and after a light Oct/Nov, I'm really ready for more in Jan
  4. do the run field test already!  I've been contemplating it for too long!  It's go time.

I'll continue to keep my Log current so that you all can bop in to drop inspires, encouragement, and/or yelling as needed.   

Looking forward to seeing everyone's (and especially my own) progress, -Sunny

2006-12-26 10:02 AM
in reply to: #632490

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Glad you're joining Sunny! I'm in a simliar situation. I've actually had a good "building" month of December and I'll have about 3 weeks in January to really stick to this b4 I start a 13 week 1/2 Mary Program. I like this idea because a) it's Jorge Smile b) it's not a typical "volume" challenge and c) it'll keep me us in check as we inevitably will increase volume.

Thanks again Jorge, lookin forward to it. (must also do the filed test already!

SunnyS - 2006-12-23 11:53 PM

Hi again Jorge,

I've given it thought and have decided to do the following:

1. add a day of swimming to my routine -- if you say that it really builds aerobic capacity for the bike and run, without the stress, then I'm willing to try it.
  2. keep my lifting and core training but not let it interfere with the increased running frequency in the build phase of this plan.
  3. not cut back to all Easy, all short sessions -- consistent training works really well for me and after a light Oct/Nov, I'm really ready for more in Jan
  4. do the run field test already! I've been contemplating it for too long! It's go time.

I'll continue to keep my Log current so that you all can bop in to drop inspires, encouragement, and/or yelling as needed.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's (and especially my own) progress, -Sunny

2006-12-26 2:04 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

SunnyS,

1.      add a day of swimming to my routine -- if you say that it really builds aerobic capacity for the bike and run, without the stress, then I'm willing to try it.  >>> Well, what I actually said was that swimming helps to build aerobic capacity without inducing as much fatigue as with biking running It isn't like you'll see direct results on your biking or running, BUT you will be fitter and spending that extra time will allow you to get out of the water fresher and to race better/faster. The goal is to spend more time swimming and running through the winter (we can’t bike too much anyway) and later one switch to more riding.

2.      keep my lifting and core training but not let it interfere with the increased running frequency in the build phase of this plan. >>> This is a good idea. I will continue with 2x strength sessions a week through all 6 weeks. By strength training I refer to balancing/flexibility exercises, core, active stretching and drills. I am not a fan of weight lifting.

3.      not cut back to all Easy, all short sessions -- consistent training works really well for me and after a light Oct/Nov, I'm really ready for more in Jan >>> Keep in mind that THE BIGGEST limiter for most of us around here is not enough volume for swimming and running and some intensity for biking. On paper the outline I posted based on my plans seems easy. And for some it will be, but keep in mind that the goal is to build to 5x run, 5x swim and 2x bike a week. That is going to be 12 sessions a week but later on the duration of some of the sessions will increase and add 1 bike and we'll go from 6-7 to 10+ weekly hrs of training!

For this time of the year I just want to get my body ready to be able to handle greater workloads and intensities later on. The main concept I am trying to communicate is that regardless of your current fitness level you a good idea to design your training is: 1st work on increasing your frequency, 2nd increase volume (increase duration of your current sessions) and last add intensity. This will allow your body to absorb the workload better with lower risks of injury. Just keep in mind that whatever number of sessions, duration and intensity that you choose, you ‘should’ be able to accomplish all and feel that you could have done a bit more that week. For this time of the year doing a LOT of training might not be the best idea, unless you have an early season big race.

4.  do the run field test already!  I've been contemplating it for too long!  It's go time. >>> that will certainly help you to train smart!

2006-12-27 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Hey Jorge,

Thanks for replying to my modifications to your suggested program, point by point.  I do see the makings of a great coach in your replies -- all thoughtful and thought-provoking.   I will do that field test run by the end of this week! 

I'll PM you about my issues with swimming frequency and take the rest to heart.

Looking forward to the challenge, -Sunny

2007-01-01 12:15 AM

User image

New user

Singapore

Oh count me in!!

I've been away from consistently working out for about a year and this sounds like a good challenge to get back in gear. I have easy access to a pool and stationary bike (I don't have a road bike yet!). My hips for some reason are acting strange lately. They've been popping, so I think I'm going to do minimal running until I build up more strength. I do have to do running workouts for my soccer team, so I guess I'll count those. I don't have a heart rate monitor though, but I think we're having a fitness test tomorrow with my soccer team.

Happy 2007 - Licensed to thrill!

maia

2007-01-01 2:11 AM

User image

New user

Singapore

I have another question:

The 15 minute run (or swim) you have listed - is it running/swimming for 15 minutes with or without the warm up/cool down?

2007-01-01 6:07 AM

Online or Offline

HNY

Welcome to day 1 of the official TSRF Challenge - 6 months 3 weeks til my A Race!

I'm actually waiting for a reliable HRM to make it here before I do my run time trial and I'll do it on a treadmill, so today's race will just be a "fun run", I suppose it is already decided for me how fast (or slow as it may be) I'll take it today.

Lets have a great 2007!

Now, where the heck is Jorge?

2007-01-01 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

8 am New Year's Day, no hangover, kids are sleeping, I'm chomping at the bit and it's pouring here in NY Frown

I want to run (read I loathe core exercises)

Happy New Year fellow TSRF Challangees! ( now get out there and run!)

Edited by rollinbones 2007-01-01 7:45 AM
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » "Train Smart Race Fast" 3 months challenge Rss Feed  

of 7