Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-12-28 4:20 PM
in reply to: #635474

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Leah's Group - FULL
Yea, my husband reminded me that the leg will force me back into the pool. Whether I want it or not. What really makes me mad is that running is the hardest for me at this point and being injured doesn't help. The bike doesn't seem to bother it, so that's a good thing. Looks like I need to get my butt in the pool. yipee. :l

2006-12-30 7:58 AM
in reply to: #629744

User image

Expert
North Central WV

Hi Gang,

I am heading out of town this morning and won't have internet access again until tomorrow night.  Good luck with your training this weekend.

Pattie - how is your leg?

I hope you all have good weather.  We have a fantastic day but will be on the road for 4 hours of it :-(

Leah 

2007-01-01 8:08 AM
in reply to: #637125

User image

Expert
Happy New Year everyone! It snowed here last night, although just about 2 inches. Not enough to really get excited about. I'm still babying that leg, so no running for me anyway. Maybe I'll get my lazy butt downstairs and do some work on the Bowflex. Have a great day!

Pattie
2007-01-01 9:53 AM
in reply to: #638252

Happy New Year! Good to hear someone is having snow. All it has done in KY is rain, rain, rain. Today is 42 and lots of rain. Well...today starts everyones new whatever. Weather it's weight loss, stop smoking, or spend more time with the family I hope you all accomplish your goal. It has been 6 days since I smoked YIPPEE!

I rode the bike inside today, intevals, I rode 50 minutes but I don't know how far it was I unhooked all equipment. I want a new wireless computer that will run off the rear wheel.

Have a great day.

Pattie, take care of the leg.

Jimmy
2007-01-01 9:18 PM
in reply to: #638252

User image

Expert
North Central WV

Hi Pattie,

Happy New Year to you.  Did you get to the doc to see about the leg?  What did they say?

I have forgotten what snow looks like.  We have had none yet this winter.  This is pretty good news for the cyclists in town because they are still riding outdoors!  I am sure it is all about to change though.

Are those Bowflex things any good?  They always look impressive on the tv!

Leah

2007-01-01 9:21 PM
in reply to: #638292

User image

Expert
North Central WV

Jimmy - great to hear from you and that is fantastic news that you have been 6 days without the smokes.  Keep up the good work. 

I hate using the trainer but I was must have been a good girl this past year because Santa brought me one of those wireless computers for my bike!  Unfortunately he hasn't installed it yet   I will put my old one on my mountain bike and perhaps I will actually use the mountain bike again one day!

Cheers,

Leah

2007-01-02 10:51 AM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX

Jimmy, great to hear about your six days not smoking. When I quit I just kept reminding myself that after three days the physical nicotine was out of my body, and that anything after that was just a mental game with myself. Remember that to take it just one day at a time.

P.S. When I quit I was a three pack-a-day smoker, and had been smoking for about 10 years. That was 9 years ago. YOU CAN DO IT!!! 

2007-01-02 10:56 AM
in reply to: #639094

User image

Expert
North Central WV
wdsae - 2007-01-02 11:51 AM

P.S. When I quit I was a three pack-a-day smoker, and had been smoking for about 10 years. That was 9 years ago. YOU CAN DO IT!!! 

Wes that is awesome!  I too was a smoker and probably smoked a pack a day at my peak.  Combined with heavy alcohol consumption, I was quite a mess during my college years!  I have struggled to stay off the smokes and keep the drinking to a moderate amount.  Believe me guys, training really makes it easier!  I don't want to ruin what I accomplish by one silly night on the town.  Fortunately my husband doesn't drink or smoke and that makes it much easier for me.  I don't remember the last time I had a cigarette.

2007-01-02 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Hi guys!

L- Haven't gotten in to see a doc yet. I had to get all my records sent and then wait for a doc to review them. Big pain in the butt. Since I know what's causing it, I'm just not running on it for a while. Ice when it hurts. We all know the drill.

Starting the new year out right today. I went to cycle class, even though I didn't want to. It was an endurance class with my least fav instructor. She's not bad, just talks too much. And sings. Gack. I did my 50 min and was glad about it. Tomorrow I go for some bloodwork, so a light strength-training session. Thurs is another cycle class and Friday will be my swim day.

Have a great rest of the week!

Pattie
2007-01-02 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Jimmy- Good job on quitting the cigs. Keep it up!

Pattie
2007-01-02 6:26 PM
in reply to: #639185

Hi Leah, Pattie, Jimmy and Everyone in our group!

I started out the New Year with a 4 mile hike, was actually nice as the weather is great this time of year!

I wanted to let you know that I will be heading back home this weekend so when I get back into my time zone (Asia time zone) then I will get started, but I am hitting the gym or exercising everyday.

Jim congratulations on the cigs, hope all goes well there. For me it is sugar, I think I must be addicted to the stuff, can never seem to get enough. That is what I have to work on.

Happy New Year to all

Anita

2007-01-02 6:26 PM
in reply to: #639185

Hi Leah, Pattie, Jimmy and Everyone in our group!

I started out the New Year with a 4 mile hike, was actually nice as the weather is great this time of year!

I wanted to let you know that I will be heading back home this weekend so when I get back into my time zone (Asia time zone) then I will get started, but I am hitting the gym or exercising everyday.

Jim congratulations on the cigs, hope all goes well there. For me it is sugar, I think I must be addicted to the stuff, can never seem to get enough. That is what I have to work on.

Happy New Year to all

Anita
2007-01-02 8:08 PM

Good evening Anita, Wes, Pattie, Leah and all the others. I'm very sorry that I don't yet know everyones name but it is getting easier. I didn't know the smoking was such a hot topic. Well...I don't want to disappoint so I'll let everyone know that today has been another smoke free day. Yippee! Thanks for all your support it means a lot.

Here was my day:

I have lost 3lbs so far. 17 more to go. Ate rather well today except for the "brewtus" Sam Adams at Applebees. Food was salads, oatmeal and a lone of my wifes weight watcher meals.

15 minutes on the eliptical
20 minutes on the treadmill

sauna and a shower.

I know, this was a short day but we all can't have great days.

I bought a heart monitor and tried to use it but all it did was beep. It was really anoying so I turned it off. Maybe I should read the directions?

Thanks for listening.

Jimmy

2007-01-02 8:24 PM
in reply to: #640037

Hi JImmy

I also can not just that mechanical things very well, but my trainer use to put a bit of water behind the part your put on your chest then tap a few times with the watch part to that part and it would start.

Try that and see how it goes!

Hope that helps!

Anita
2007-01-02 8:45 PM

Regular
West Hartford, CT
Hi Jimmy - congrats on the smoke free..that is so great!
As for the HRM, when I bought mine a few months ago I was just as confused. I finally borke down and read the instructions with the HRM in hand. It worked.....recently I have bought a more complicated one 9my husband needed one so I gave him my hand me down) and even after reading the instructions I can not operate the stupid thing! Should have stuck to my cheapo basic model that had 4 functions! LOL!
Good luck with the HRM......I have a Polar. What model did you get?
2007-01-03 12:04 AM

User image

Expert
North Central WV

Hi Everyone,

I am having horrible insomnia problems at the moment.  However, I have trouble staying awake during the day - go figure! 

I had a well-earned rest day today but will be back on the trainer tomorrow for another miserable 2 X 20's - yuck!

HRM can be your best friend or your worst enemy!  The beeping may just be because the thing has a default setting for a HR zone.  It will beep every time your heart rate is outside of the zone.  Reading the instructions is a very good way to learn how to change that

Claudia - that is a pain in the butt that your HRM is still giving you those high readings.  Have you tried wetting the sensors - it nearly always works for me.  I have had the most luck with ky jelly!  If you are near a tap, just try plain old water.  Of course I usually forget to wet the sensors and so I end up using spit which gets all over me as I refuse to stop running to apply it!  If you are running on a treadmill and have a fan on you, you may not be sweating as much as you need to in order to get a good signal from your heart to the electrodes.  The sweatier the better!

Way to go Jimmy.  Keep up the non-smoking thing.  You seem to be going well with the diet too.  I need to take a leaf out of your book in that respect.

Anita - great to see you posting.  What a great supportive group we have here.  We should give ourselves a name like the New Life Team or something equally as corny

GO TEAM!!!!

Ok, off to try to get some sleep.

Goodnight. 

2007-01-03 8:20 PM

Regular
West Hartford, CT
Hi everyone. Well I did it today. I registered for my first 1/2 marathon. I am SOOOOO EXCITED> Its in NYC and takes around central park (twice).......it will be exciting! Its actually my first race. I will try to do a 5k and a 10k prior to - but only as a prep for the 1/2 mary!
Hurray!

As for my stinky HRM, I wet it with spit everytime (I am just not classy enough to use water I guess, LOL)!!! the stupid machine still does not work. Its brand new so the battery should not br an issue. My husband used it last night and he too got a high reading. Oh well.

On brighter tech news, I just bought the Nike+Ipod sensor and IT ROCKS!!!!! It tells you the mileage you ran, at what pace, how many calories you burned and Jimmy you will appreciate this - you only PLUG it in and GO!!!!

Hope you all get a chance for some good workouts this week. The gyms have been packed! Lotsof new years resolutions I imagine.....

Take good care - hey not all of you log in your workouts (Jimmy - you should log them in that way we can post notes, inspiring notes) Its fun to see what everyone is up to, gives us all something to aspire to
2007-01-03 9:43 PM
in reply to: #641444

Hey All!

I like the name of the good life team!

Claudia I am impressed you have registered for your half marathon! That is great!

All of you keep up the goods work!

As for me I am heading for a long boring flight (20 hours), I was hoping to get to the gym before hand but unfortunately I am barely packed and I have a 7 am flight to make!

I will get on and get posting and start looking at everyone's training also on this so that I can get inspired by all of you!

Way to go Claudia! Let us know how the half marathon goes!

Anita
2007-01-03 9:45 PM
in reply to: #641539

Opps Sorry one more. Claudia do you have a link for the Ipod sensor? It sounds great and sounds like something I should look into getting!

Cheers to all
Anita
2007-01-04 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
North Central WV

You all are totally inspirational!  What a great idea this mentor program is.  I am getting as much motivation from you guys as I am supposed to be giving you  

Claudia, I am very excited about your race.  It will be really nice running through Central Park.

Anita - argh - I hate long flights.  I am an Australian living in the USA so I know all about long flights.  But 20 hrs?  I have been in transit for over 30 hrs but never on a plane for longer than about 15 hr (LA-Melbourne).  I do a lot of airport walking when I am in transit.  It not only kills time but also helps me do some exercise.  My husband will actually change into his running clothes and go outside the airport for a run if it interupts his schedule!  I would think that some airports have gyms now - have you ever seen a gym at an airport?

Happy Tri-ing team!

Leah 

2007-01-04 8:13 AM
in reply to: #641444

User image

Expert
North Central WV

Btw, what date exactly is the 1/2 mary in March?

I would return the HRM and get another one.  Both my husband and I have cheap Polars and neither of them give us that much trouble.

I may have to check out the Nike+Ipod.  Sounds awesome.

Leah 

2007-01-04 7:16 PM

Good Evening Everyone.

My workout today was AAAAAAAHHAHHHHH!!! Not too good.
I rode the trainer for 40 minutes but I couldn't get any speed. It was still ok but it seems like I went a step back. Maybe I need a day off?????anyone?

I ate good today, fresh things.

Another day no smoking.

I got my HRM to work! YES! I still don't have the zones set but that's next. Riding hard my HR is average 183. Is that bad? Good? Average?

My wife has the iPod nano w/ nike. She likes it. I have an iPod video, I believe that is the best thing I ever bought.

Weight - 198.8

I think tomorrow I'll go to the YMCA and go swimming.

2007-01-04 7:49 PM

Regular
West Hartford, CT
Hi Jimmy

I have really bad workouts like that every now and then.....it is so awful when it happens

As for your HR at 183, all depends what you are trying to achieve in your workout. I have read that to train for endurance you should train at 60-70% of your heartrate......I however can not keep it that low and usually train between 70-80%. At 183 you are probably more in the upper 80% which is good for sprints but not to build endurance (atleast that was how I understood it)...There are alot of good articles on this website describing HR Traget training. This article is a good place to start;

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Hope this helps.
Have a great swim tomorrow.

2007-01-05 11:35 AM
in reply to: #642818

User image

Expert
North Central WV

jgilvin - 2007-01-04 8:16 PM Good Evening Everyone. My workout today was AAAAAAAHHAHHHHH!!! Not too good. I rode the trainer for 40 minutes but I couldn't get any speed. It was still ok but it seems like I went a step back. Maybe I need a day off?????anyone?

Hi Jimmy. Everything Claudia said is spot on but I wanted to add my own thoughts.  Going slower on a work out is definitely NOT a step back.  Your workouts ideally should be structured so that you have hard days and easy days.  Always follow a hard day with an easy day.  It is all about consistency.  Take a look at my training log and you will see that I have days where I workout at a higher HR and then days when I have a much lower HR.  Of course if you feel you need to take a day off then by all means do so.  But you will probably be fine with a couple of easy work outs to let your legs recover.

I ate good today, fresh things. Another day no smoking. I got my HRM to work! YES! I still don't have the zones set but that's next. Riding hard my HR is average 183. Is that bad? Good? Average? My wife has the iPod nano w/ nike. She likes it. I have an iPod video, I believe that is the best thing I ever bought. Weight - 198.8 I think tomorrow I'll go to the YMCA and go swimming.

Excellent news about another day smoke free

As for the HR, I am not sure what you are trying to achieve so I don't know what your question really is.  Without knowing your max HR on the bike, we can't tell much.  However, I think that it is good that you can get your HR up to 183 on the bike.  You certainly don't want to be up there all the time but for your harder workouts you can do shorter intervals up at that intensity.  On an easy day, you wouldn't want to go near that number!  When I do my 2 x 20's (which is two lots of 20 minute intervals on the trainer where I am riding at a certain percentage of the max. wattage that I am capable of maintaining for 20 min), my HR only goes up to about 167.  My max HR running is 187 so my max HR on the bike is probably in the high 170's or around 180. 

I can give you a lot more info. about HR training if you need it.  But I won't bother you with it if you don't need it.  Claudia gave you a link to a good amount of HR info.

Cheers,

Leah

2007-01-06 2:58 PM

Regular
West Hartford, CT
Hi everyone.
Thank you for all the kind words about the 1/2 mary. it will take place on March 25th so I have 11 more weeks to go

As for the nike+ipod, I bought mine straight from Apple but my husband saw them at Target last weekend. No matter where you get it, it should run you about $29.99.

I decided to do a January challange here on this site for swim + run and have signed myself up for 50miles running and 12,000yds swimming. I have 9,000yds and 43.1miles to go!!!!

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Hope you get in some good workout, rest or beer!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leah's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4