BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2006-12-20 7:47 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Brian's group - FULL

Name: Brian (user name)/Brian (coincidence?)

Story: Found myself doing a triathlon in the late summer of 2005 as I was ostensibly training for an adventure race my old college roomate challenged me to complete.  I did it on my newly purchased mountain bike and with only a few months of run training - and even less swimming.

I totally flubbed the race.  I went out too hard on the swim and blew up halfway through. The combination of a mountain bike and lack of miles in my legs had ladies in the 50's pass me (your age is written on your calf at the beginning of each race) - but not without a fight. 

I tried to make up for the lack luster performance by running too hard - the last 2.1 miles were a death march.  I was dying crossing the finish line ... but nevertheless, I was hooked.

Family status: Married to my college sweatheart,  going on 13 years with three children (eight, five and two).

Last Year's Races: First full year of triathlon training had me sing up with Team-in-Training for 2 races, the latter as a Mentor.  Through the course of the year I did 14 someodd races including 2 Olympic distance + 2 half-iron (70.3) triathlons, a couple Centuries (100 mi + metric) and a bunch of other races ranging from Duathlons to an Adventure Race to a handful of 10k's.  I also went through the training to get certifed as a USAT race official as a means to give back to the sport.

2007 Races: Ironman Coeur d'Alene (June) and Ironman Florida (November) are the bookend "A" races for 2007.  Leading up to IMCdA I will be doing St. Anthony's Oly and a half-iron race to be named later (Gulf Coast?), a couple half mary's and a metric century through the mountains of north Georgia.  In between them a local series of sprint tri's called "Tri-the-Parks' will be my speedwork training.

Weightloss: Not really my forte as I have been habitually and sometimes painfully skinny. 

Edited by brian 2006-12-22 12:13 PM

2006-12-21 2:55 PM
in reply to: #629763

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Brian's group - OPEN
Brian,

I've recently decided to engage the whole triathlon thing by participating in a sprint triathlon in March 2007. Come from an athletic background and tend to full throw myself into my training and preparation for much of what i do in my life.

I would like to engage you regarding swim drills, psychological approach to race days, and maintaining impetus during training preps.

My weakest area will be the swimming. I've read total immersion and apply that to my swimming drills. But, I know there is more. And I want to leverage the knowledge of people like yourself that have applicable knowledge.

Am a silv er member and have loaded a program into my training log. Now, I just need a mentor.

Ciao,
Jon
2006-12-21 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Hi Brian, I'd like to join your group.

Personal: I am a 34 yr. old SAHM of a 4 1/2 yr. old & 2 yr. old. I am trying to get into Nursing school and taking a class here and there. I also married my college sweetheart, 12 yrs. for us. I was not an athelete in high school or college. I was tall and never had the balance and speed for competitive sports. I started working out in college trying to lose weight (freshman 30?). I decided at age 28 that I wanted to complete a 5k, and I signed up for a running class at the "Y." I've loved running ever since. After my 5k I decided that I'd like to do a tri before I was 35 yr. old. Since I've either been pregnant or nursing for the last 5 yrs. I haven't gotten around to it until now.

Training: I already work out 3 days a week, running or cycle class. I downloaded the 20 week 2x beginner to sprint workout from the website and plan to start the first week in Jan. The race I am training for is a sprint tri in mid June. I signed up for a swimming class to start in Jan. I am a good swimmer, but don't really have the technique down to go a long distance.

Goal: I am excited about reaching this goal, and scared of looking like an idiot on race day. (like - where do I go?, where is my bike?, just knowing the etiquite of the sport). My goal for the race is to finish, preferably not last.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Gwendolyn

2006-12-21 8:46 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Hi Jon, Hi Gwendolyn:

Welcome to BT! Glad to have you.  I stumbled across this site as I was beginning to train for triathlons and found that there are some great resources available ... the most important of which is that you can ask any question without fear of being flamed as a "newbie".

One thing to keep in mind is that I am not a coach. I am an athlete like you that has just been through what you are about to go through - hopefully I can help you avoid some of the pitfalls I found and let you know what has worked/did not work for me.

There are some great articles here on the site about the basic tenets of training.  If you are looking for something more in-depth about training than an article, I recommend Triathlete Magazine's "The Complete Book of Triathlon Training" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446679283/104-8699122-0039906?v=glance&n=283155) - although there are others that are just as plainly written/not too technical.

One of the best resources here are the training logs (located as one of the menu buttons on the banner above) ... this is where you will log your works outs as they occur.  The logs will serve a guide to where you are going in your training -- as the old adage says: " ... it is hard to know where you are going unless you first know where you have been."

They will also provide the background information needed to answer whatever questions you may have over the ensuing weeks.

Jon:

Have you picked a training plan yet?  A March race is right around the corner ... which race is it/what are the distances?  (Do you have a link?)  Even though you come from an athletic background, you will want to be able to make the most use of the remaining time. Without a plan you will just drift from work out to work out without much purpose.

How much are you swimming, cycling and running per week now?  Do you have a bike you plan to do the race on?  What type (mountain, road, tri)?  Have you done previous races in either of the disciplines or has your athletic fitness been more of an all around nature?

Total Immersion is the bomb ... it is how I learned to swim.  That said, the drills are a little difficult to visualize and then put into practice in the pool.  The good news is the drills are not necessarily unique to TI.  See if you can find a Masters Swim program in your neck of the woods (see: http://www.usms.org/placswim/). It is usually $5-$10/session or a monthly fee of $X (varies)

I hesitated to go to a Masters Swim at first b/c I was afraid it would be full of people who knew eveything about swimming and no one would want to help a newbie who was only interested in free style.  I have, of course, found out that this is not the case. 

Contact the coach beforehand, if possible, and let him know that you are getting into triathlon training and need help with your stroke and efficiency.

Lastly, what your goals for this race and the rest of the season?

Gwendolyn:

The Masters Program may be a fit for you as well ... although it might be hard with juggling the two kids.  Some programs have swims that begin at 5:30 am, others have swims after normal work hours and still others have swims early Saturday mornings.  Our gym has a pool and child care facilities - but no Masters ... your Y may have both?

You mentioned that you have done some spin classes (and those can be really tough!) - do you have a bike as of yet?  If so, what kind?  If not, then don't worry about it yet ... the 2006 models are getting cheaper by the minute and it is about to be a great time to purchase a bike (new or used).

Sounds like you come from a running background. How much are running per week?  Any swimming?

You have more time to train for your first race than Jon, but that does not mean that you have time to burn ... just that you might be able to utilize your time in a different manner (e.g. be able to build a base in each discipline).

What are your goals for this race and the rest of the season?  Do you have your eye on any of the 5k or 10k's coming up as road race season approaches? (If not then you might want to consider adding a couple ... it is always good to have a goal to work towards )

I know, I know ... lots of questions - and I bet you have some for me ... fire those at will and I will do my best to answer them.  Post your questions here - at least for now - so that you two can get the benefit of each other's questions and answers.

Also do not forget to start logging your workouts in your training log. I log mine on a daily basis ... it took some discipline to remember to do it at first, but now it is second nature.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Edited by brian 2006-12-21 8:54 PM
2006-12-22 3:02 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Can I join???

Marina is my name!

Story: I'm 32 and been at the tri thing for a couple of years (not necessarily a 'real' newbie but still learning). Last year, racing and training got interrupted by a mid-summer cross-country move and some illness. I was rocking until then doing century rides, swimming lots, and running strong. I even placed third overall in a women's only sprint! Anyway, I'm recovered, settled in my new city, and the job is under control. Time to get ready for my third tri season!

I've always been active in sports - playing ice hockey (played internationally and was on a national championship team), soccer and rugby. I decided that I needed some different challenges so I made a list of my life goals. First came running with the 2003 Marine Corps Marathon and a number of other halfs (would love to BQ someday). The next thing to cross off my list was to do a tri, so I learned how to swim (Total Immersion is the bomb!). Then, I got a bike. The rest is history! Well, there still is that lofty goal of completing an Ironman, of course.

I'm still doing the hockey thing for fun but liking the individual endurance sports more and more in my older age. The tri sports are so much nicer to my knees that have endured too many surgeries over the years.

Training: Haven't done too much over the past few months so I've gotta take baby steps now. I can make all sorts of excuses like I had too much work travel, the weather was too frigid or that I lost my running shoes. But, they just won't fly anymore - time to get off the couch.

My goal this year is to do a half IM (or two) as well as a handful of olys and sprints. If I feel good into the end of summer, I might go out for a marathon.

It's been tough in these parts with so little daylight and the icy streets to get out on the road so I have my trusty trainer and a treadmill (got it today!) to keep me busy over the next few months. I'm also signed up for a masters swim session at the Y starting in January - that'll be two early morning swims per week to get my gills back. The BT Half IM training program starts Feb 5!

Weight loss: I've gained way too much over the past 8 months or so weighing in at my heaviest ever.  My aim is to lose 30lbs over the next 4 months or so. LOL...a little cardio will certainly do the trick!

Family: Single with dawg (Frankie, the bearded collie)

Edited by marina 2006-12-22 3:04 AM
2006-12-22 5:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Brian,

I would like to join your group! I am a 39 year-old mother of 3 (2,5,6) who just started triathlons this year. I come from a running background and have done 11 marathons. I did an Olympic and a half-ironman this year. I am planning on an Olympic, another half and am registered for IMFL in November. I work in the medical profession and have call at nights and on weekends at times, as does my husband. That combined with the children makes for a very odd training schedule. (Most of my biking for the half was done on a trainer, and I am up at 4:30 almost every day-weekends, holidays.)

I am trying to become better swimmer and stronger biker. I have been frustrated with people thinking I am crazy to try a full ironman. (Have you found this?) The other problem I am debating over is whether my road bike is good enough for a full ironman. I have been reading the thread on the ironman forum, and there are some who really believe you need a tri specific bike. I am so new to biking, that I am looking for any information I can get. I have a road bike with aerobars and clipless pedals. I had no issues with it in the half, but will I in a full ironman?

Oh, I've done the Blue Ridge Mountain Adventure Race in Blue Ridge GA 4 times. Lots of fun!

Thanks for your help!

-Kim

2006-12-22 8:06 AM
in reply to: #631237

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Hi Marina!

Sounds like you are 'ready to be ready' for your third tri season ... and you are spot on about starting with baby steps.  I took 8 weeks off after my H-IM last May and then ran a 10k flat out.  I PR'd the race, but also separated two muscles from my shins (ouch!) which took 3-4 weeks to heal.  This - as well as traveling for most of August for work - threw the rest of the season off.

Sounds like your first challenge will be to combat your muscle memory.  Your legs (like mine at the 10k) are going to tell you "Hey, this pace is what we are supposed to run" because that is what they remember doing when you are in full swing ... but they are lying.

The advice I got was to start slow ... painfully slow with smaller distances than you think.  This will help 're-awaken' your muscles and strengthen your tendons.  The good news is that this will happen quicker than you think. (It did for me.)

Running out of excuses not to train? Shoot, I've used a malfunctioning iPod for an excuse ... until my coach reminded me that she didn't think training with them was a good idea anyway

Have you done and/or are you planning on doing HR training for this coming season?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

- Brian

marina - 2006-12-22 4:02 AM

Can I join???

Marina is my name!

Story: I'm 32 and been at the tri thing for a couple of years (not necessarily a 'real' newbie but still learning). Last year, racing and training got interrupted by a mid-summer cross-country move and some illness. I was rocking until then doing century rides, swimming lots, and running strong. I even placed third overall in a women's only sprint! Anyway, I'm recovered, settled in my new city, and the job is under control. Time to get ready for my third tri season!

I've always been active in sports - playing ice hockey (played internationally and was on a national championship team), soccer and rugby. I decided that I needed some different challenges so I made a list of my life goals. First came running with the 2003 Marine Corps Marathon and a number of other halfs (would love to BQ someday). The next thing to cross off my list was to do a tri, so I learned how to swim (Total Immersion is the bomb!). Then, I got a bike. The rest is history! Well, there still is that lofty goal of completing an Ironman, of course.

I'm still doing the hockey thing for fun but liking the individual endurance sports more and more in my older age. The tri sports are so much nicer to my knees that have endured too many surgeries over the years.

Training: Haven't done too much over the past few months so I've gotta take baby steps now. I can make all sorts of excuses like I had too much work travel, the weather was too frigid or that I lost my running shoes. But, they just won't fly anymore - time to get off the couch.

My goal this year is to do a half IM (or two) as well as a handful of olys and sprints. If I feel good into the end of summer, I might go out for a marathon.

It's been tough in these parts with so little daylight and the icy streets to get out on the road so I have my trusty trainer and a treadmill (got it today!) to keep me busy over the next few months. I'm also signed up for a masters swim session at the Y starting in January - that'll be two early morning swims per week to get my gills back. The BT Half IM training program starts Feb 5!

Weight loss: I've gained way too much over the past 8 months or so weighing in at my heaviest ever.  My aim is to lose 30lbs over the next 4 months or so. LOL...a little cardio will certainly do the trick!

Family: Single with dawg (Frankie, the bearded collie)

2006-12-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #631252

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Hi Kim!

The Blue Ridge Mountain Adventure Race has a storied reputation. Any race that have >20% DNF rate has got to be pretty tough ... and as I learned at 'The Siege of Ft. Yargo', an off road mile is a lot different than a road mile!

Which Oly and H-IM did you do this season?  What were you major limiters?  If you did a race report for any other them, send 'em over (I love reading race reports ).

I see that you are already using the training logs.  One thing you might want to do is keep track of intensity and RPE (especially if you are not doing HR training).  Each logged session should not be novella, but it would be helpful if there was a little more detail ...

IMFL? As noted above, I am registered as well ... it'll be great to be able to train with you along the way.  Are you doing HR training?  Power meter? Have you picked out a training program?  When do you plan to start your IM specific training program?

As most folks will opine, worry less about the bike than the engine.  If the bike is fit correctly and you can comfortably complete the distance, anything else a different bike offers is just gravy.

If the bike has not been professionally fit for the aerobars, you will want to get that done.  It may feel fine now, but an improperly fit bike can cause injuries down the line -- especially given the volume we will be putting in.

That said, I switched from a road bike (Bianchi Imola) to a tri bike (Cervelo Dual) last April and loved the change.  I actually prefer and am now more comfortable on the aerobars than I am riding the hoods on my road bike. (I haven't taken my mtb off the wall in over 6 months )

Crazy to do an Ironman? Shoot, I ithink you're crazy to do 11 marathons ... seriously, races of these distances are personal goals - and personal accomplishments (well, actually, they are shared with the immediate family as it takes their support as well).

As far as odd training times, it actually might be an advantage.  I find that I have a more difficult time training later in the day than in the morning.  The odd hours will condition yourself to work at different times of the day -- and that will be helpful come next November.  One thing you might want to pay particular attention to your nutrition during your training.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

- Brian 

kimje - 2006-12-22 6:44 AM Brian, I would like to join your group! I am a 39 year-old mother of 3 (2,5,6) who just started triathlons this year. I come from a running background and have done 11 marathons. I did an Olympic and a half-ironman this year. I am planning on an Olympic, another half and am registered for IMFL in November. I work in the medical profession and have call at nights and on weekends at times, as does my husband. That combined with the children makes for a very odd training schedule. (Most of my biking for the half was done on a trainer, and I am up at 4:30 almost every day-weekends, holidays.) I am trying to become better swimmer and stronger biker. I have been frustrated with people thinking I am crazy to try a full ironman. (Have you found this?) The other problem I am debating over is whether my road bike is good enough for a full ironman. I have been reading the thread on the ironman forum, and there are some who really believe you need a tri specific bike. I am so new to biking, that I am looking for any information I can get. I have a road bike with aerobars and clipless pedals. I had no issues with it in the half, but will I in a full ironman? Oh, I've done the Blue Ridge Mountain Adventure Race in Blue Ridge GA 4 times. Lots of fun! Thanks for your help! -Kim

2006-12-22 11:22 AM

User image

Ocean Springs, MS (on the Gulf of Mexico)
Hi Brian,

My name is Bill Manduca. I have been tri'n since May of 05. Would like to join your group. I am 44 years old, married, and have three kids, Michael (20), Catie (17), and Eric (16). I have found triathlons to give me the variety and purpose for getting myself back into shape. I was a very serious competitive swimmer all the way through high school (actually considered going to a college that had a prominent swim team to see if I was Olympic material). Running isn't the only part that your body's muscles will lie to you. My problem is my brain still thinks like I was swimming at 17 or 18 but my body says, "You fool, what were you thinking?"

I have completed 7 sprint tri's since May of 05 (Tri It On Triathlon - B'ham, AL (2x), Mt. Lakes Tri - Lake Guntersville, AL (2x) and a couple of local sprint-distance tri's in Fl. and here on the MS Gulf Coast. This past November I watched one of my friends complete the FL Ironman in Panama City, FL and I seriously would like to make this a goal to do in the next couple of years.
My biggest inspiration wasn't that my friend completed it but a story that came out of the whole event. There was a guy there they gave the "Biggest Loser" award to: He lost 140lbs from Jan. of 06 up until race day (Nov. 06). This was done without any surgery or other medical procedures. This really fired me up and gave me the drive to say it is possible.

My biggest challenge is that I currently weigh in at 295 and am having trouble putting a serious weight loss effort together. I managed to get down to 285 during this past season. My two greatest limiters are my weight and my running. I could really use some help and encouragement here. Also, I would like to get some help in formulating a training plan for the upcoming season to include the new tri in Gulf Shores, AL (1000yd/20 mile/5 mile). As part of the plan this year, I would like to explore the idea of adding weight training for strengthening my legs especially. I am anticipating spending about 8 - 10 hours a week starting in January. I would love to trade my knowledge and expertise in swimming (I used to coach and teach and really like the TI method of instruction.) with someone's knowledge in running and then in cycling.

Well that is all for now. I am a newbie to this website so I am not sure where to go from here.

Looking forward to talking with you.

Regards,
Bill

Edited by BillManduca 2006-12-22 11:25 AM
2006-12-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: #631602

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL

Hi Bill ...

Welcome to the group - lucky #5!  Congratulations on completing the previous triathlons ... and for having your goals well defined.

The cool thing about the limiters you listed 'weight and running' is that they are not mutually exclusive.  I read somewhere that each foot strike while running is equivalent to 1.7x's your body weight. The average person has something like 80-90 foot strikes per minute while running. That is a lot of pounding on your knees and lower back.

The good news is that success in one goal (weight loss) will directly affect the success in eliminating your major limiter: running. I am not very well versed in weight loss methods, but do know this - it ain't easy and there are no short cuts.

What is the date for the Gulf Shores race (this the first, right?) ... also have you done HR training before?

edit: oh ... and from here you should look over the plans on the front page and pick one that suits you the best, start logging your workouts and it is up to you as to whether you want to start a nutritional log (I am thinking about doing it for next couple months just so I can get a handle on my nutrition).

Merry Christmas!

BillManduca - 2006-12-22 12:22 PM Hi Brian, My name is Bill Manduca. I have been tri'n since May of 05. Would like to join your group. I am 44 years old, married, and have three kids, Michael (20), Catie (17), and Eric (16). I have found triathlons to give me the variety and purpose for getting myself back into shape. I was a very serious competitive swimmer all the way through high school (actually considered going to a college that had a prominent swim team to see if I was Olympic material). Running isn't the only part that your body's muscles will lie to you. My problem is my brain still thinks like I was swimming at 17 or 18 but my body says, "You fool, what were you thinking?" I have completed 7 sprint tri's since May of 05 (Tri It On Triathlon - B'ham, AL (2x), Mt. Lakes Tri - Lake Guntersville, AL (2x) and a couple of local sprint-distance tri's in Fl. and here on the MS Gulf Coast. This past November I watched one of my friends complete the FL Ironman in Panama City, FL and I seriously would like to make this a goal to do in the next couple of years. My biggest inspiration wasn't that my friend completed it but a story that came out of the whole event. There was a guy there they gave the "Biggest Loser" award to: He lost 140lbs from Jan. of 06 up until race day (Nov. 06). This was done without any surgery or other medical procedures. This really fired me up and gave me the drive to say it is possible. My biggest challenge is that I currently weigh in at 295 and am having trouble putting a serious weight loss effort together. I managed to get down to 285 during this past season. My two greatest limiters are my weight and my running. I could really use some help and encouragement here. Also, I would like to get some help in formulating a training plan for the upcoming season to include the new tri in Gulf Shores, AL (1000yd/20 mile/5 mile). As part of the plan this year, I would like to explore the idea of adding weight training for strengthening my legs especially. I am anticipating spending about 8 - 10 hours a week starting in January. I would love to trade my knowledge and expertise in swimming (I used to coach and teach and really like the TI method of instruction.) with someone's knowledge in running and then in cycling. Well that is all for now. I am a newbie to this website so I am not sure where to go from here. Looking forward to talking with you. Regards, Bill

Edited by brian 2006-12-22 12:16 PM
2006-12-22 12:25 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

All:

With the addition of Bill, our team is now complete.

Outside of responding to the questions posed, please be sure to:

1) Start logging your workouts in your training blog (if you plan on workingout this weekend);
2) Add each person on this thread as one of your friends (see the 'control panel' on the upper left hand side on the screen when in your blog);
3) If you haven't already, pick your training program - you can either import it into your blog (Performance Members), manually enter it or print it out and follow it each day;
4) Set some realistic goals for the year and post them on your blog (again, see control panel), including the races you plan to do as well as the distances + dates for each (if you have a link to post, that'd be good too);
5) Lastly, have a GREAT Christmas weekend ... we'll circle around on the 26th or so.

If you have questions about how to do the above in your blog, see the following forum for information and, if you cannot locate the answer, the place to post them: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=9#s

Ho, ho, ho ...

- Brian

Edited by brian 2006-12-22 12:28 PM

2006-12-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: #631314

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

brian - 2006-12-22 7:06 AM
Have you done and/or are you planning on doing HR training for this coming season

Yup! I need to work out my ranges again though. I've had great success with using the HRM to be sure that my easy workouts are indeed easy. Parker's book, "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot" is my favourite and most simple guide.

2006-12-22 2:33 PM
in reply to: #631689

User image

Brian,

Yes I do train with an HRM (Polar) with footpod. My wife was concerned about me exercising to hard.

I believe the Gulf Shores tri is scheduled for the 19th of May. I could be off by a week or so. This would be the goal to initially train for. I am planning on doing the YTri in B'ham again this year. I am leading a group of tri'ers from my church. If you check the results from 06, my bib number was 89. You can still view pictures from the race.

That race was the second time I did it. When I left the pool after the swim, my heart rate was 176! I have set my max HR at 180. The good thing about it though, is that it doesn't take very long for my heart rate to drop back to normal. Notice my time for the swim was respectable. I dropped my overall time by 6 minutes from last year.

I am currently running 1.5 miles continuously (about 20 minutes). I average between 15 - 16 mph on the bike when I am training. I ride on mostly flat courses but need to do some hill work. Haven't been in the pool since September after my last race.

Any suggestions on an appropriate training plan for the Gulf Shores race?
2006-12-22 2:34 PM
in reply to: #631918

User image

[Two rules for life: 1. Don't sweat the small stuff, and 2) There is never any big stuff.]BillManduca - 2006-12-22 2:33 PM

Brian,

Yes I do train with an HRM (Polar) with footpod. My wife was concerned about me exercising to hard.

I believe the Gulf Shores tri is scheduled for the 19th of May. I could be off by a week or so. This would be the goal to initially train for. I am planning on doing the YTri in B'ham again this year. I am leading a group of tri'ers from my church. If you check the results from 06, my bib number was 89. You can still view pictures from the race.

That race was the second time I did it. When I left the pool after the swim, my heart rate was 176! I have set my max HR at 180. The good thing about it though, is that it doesn't take very long for my heart rate to drop back to normal. Notice my time for the swim was respectable. I dropped my overall time by 6 minutes from last year.

I am currently running 1.5 miles continuously (about 20 minutes). I average between 15 - 16 mph on the bike when I am training. I ride on mostly flat courses but need to do some hill work. Haven't been in the pool since September after my last race.

Any suggestions on an appropriate training plan for the Gulf Shores race?
2006-12-22 3:59 PM
in reply to: #631152

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
I am reading a book right now called "Triathlons for Women" by Sally Edwards. It is gving me the basic techniques for all three events, and suggestions for training variations. A lot to process (I'll just start with the basics for now).

I am not swimming at all right now, nor have I for some years (outside of prenatal water aerobics which doesn't count for our purposes here). Looks like the Master's programs near me are in the evening and my hubby works second shift, so that would be tough with the kids, dinner, bath & bed (you know the drill). The adult swim class I signed up for says it is for beginners to advanced and includes stroke instruction, and is open-format with our goals in mind, so I think it will do the trick.

As for the bike, I have a mtn. bike with a rusty chain hanging from my garage ceiling (ha ha). I think I'll go to a shop and get it tuned up, and while I'm there get measured to see what I would really need (I wasn't measured for the mtn. bike). My friend has one I can borrow, if it will fit. I've heard of people buying used bikes from others who just want a new one, or never really rode the one they had. So, I may check into that. I definately don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars, and I know that is "cheap." But I don't forsee myself ever riding more than 20 miles at a time. I usually do a 45 min. cycle class twice a week, but I know I need to get in some road time in the near future.

My runs are usually 3 miles twice a week. Mainly, just for cardio. I am about a 10-11 min. pace. Since having kids my left knee has been giving me some pain during runs, especially the downhill. I know I need to strength train to see if it helps. So I will add two strength training sessions per week, after two of my "short" cardio workouts.

My goal right now for the race is just to finish before the time limit 2 1/2 hrs., and not be dead last. As I progress in training and get an idea of what it will really take, I may become more ambitious with my goal. The only other event I really had my eye on is the Race for the Cure in Oct. 2007. But, I think your suggestion to add some races is a good one, to keep my motivation strong, since June is 6 mo. away.

I already added you to view my log, so let me know if you can't see it. The log is blank right now. My first official training week will start with my Jan. 13 swim class. But I will add whatever I'm doing from now until then. I'm sure I will have more questions when I get started with the training.

Thanks,
Gwendolyn

brian - 2006-12-21 9:46 PM
Gwendolyn:

The Masters Program may be a fit for you as well ... although it might be hard with juggling the two kids.  Some programs have swims that begin at 5:30 am, others have swims after normal work hours and still others have swims early Saturday mornings.  Our gym has a pool and child care facilities - but no Masters ... your Y may have both?

You mentioned that you have done some spin classes (and those can be really tough!) - do you have a bike as of yet?  If so, what kind?  If not, then don't worry about it yet ... the 2006 models are getting cheaper by the minute and it is about to be a great time to purchase a bike (new or used).

Sounds like you come from a running background. How much are running per week?  Any swimming?

You have more time to train for your first race than Jon, but that does not mean that you have time to burn ... just that you might be able to utilize your time in a different manner (e.g. be able to build a base in each discipline).

What are your goals for this race and the rest of the season?  Do you have your eye on any of the 5k or 10k's coming up as road race season approaches? (If not then you might want to consider adding a couple ... it is always good to have a goal to work towards )

I know, I know ... lots of questions - and I bet you have some for me ... fire those at will and I will do my best to answer them.  Post your questions here - at least for now - so that you two can get the benefit of each other's questions and answers.

Also do not forget to start logging your workouts in your training log. I log mine on a daily basis ... it took some discipline to remember to do it at first, but now it is second nature.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Edited by gygyhawk 2006-12-22 4:04 PM
2006-12-23 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Brian,

The races I did last year were the SC Festival of Flowers (Olympic) in about 2:45 I think. I did the SC half-ironman here in Greenwood in 6:01. Finished middle of the pack for both. I did a race report for the half. I will have to figure out how to send it to you. I plan on doing the same this year. The Festival of Flowers is June 10th. The half-ironman is September 30th. I don't know how far you are from here, but both are good races.

I do have a heart rate monitor, but have only been using it for interest sake, not following it really. I do find it useful on the trainer to make sure I am working hard enough. I mostly go by 'feel', which I guess is RPE. I am a strong runner with lots of experience there. I am a weak swimmer and biker. The swim has been my weakest, and I am working with the master's group here when I can, which is about once a week.

I look forward to hearing about your training for CDA and to training with you (sort of) for IMFL. You are brave to do 2 in one year!

-Kim

2006-12-24 6:22 PM

User image

Houston, TX

Team,

I've added you all to my blog.  And I also have the following questions being a newbie:

-Heart Rate Monitor: What brand(s) are solid - everyone I know has told me to get a Polar

-Heart Rate Monitor: what features do you each feel are important to have in a device?

-Bike: Road or Tri?  Why? Brands?  My plan is to get a bike in January 2007.  And I've been told about the popular ones (i.e. Trekk and Giant), but what else?

-Running Drills: In order to build up more of an endurance base here, what sorts of drills can you recommend

I certainly hope everyone has a safe and pleasant holiday weekend with their famiglias and love ones.

2006-12-27 7:23 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Choosing a Training Plan + Heart Rate training

Friends:

While I will answer your specific questions soon, I want to bring up two three topics of discussion for tonight to keep our momentum going: Picking a Training Plan and Heart Rate Training. 

Training Plan:

Choosing a plan is not really something that I can do as it is more a choice based upon your schedule (which days work best for which), available time to train each week and other personal variables. 

Word to the wise: plans that are longer in length with a more gradual build up are better as there is no such thing as a free ride in triathlons ... in other words: you get out on race day what you put in over the days, weeks and months of training.

The gradual, low intensity build up builds a base of endurance as it not only develops your fitness (muscles) but also your glycogen stores (this is the 'rocket juice' energy that a limited supply is stored in your muscles).  Gylcogen mixes with calories from your fat stores to form energy based upon a ration determined by demand - the higher the demand, the more glycogen is used.  Run out of glycogen and you have hit the proverbial wall.

Through the rigors of training, your body adapts by speeding up it's ability to process fat store calories over time ... this is largely what is meant when folks talk about building your base.

[The funny thing about this, though, is that it is not a process by which you go flat out until you collapse and then do it again.  Getting stronger, paradoxically, happens through lower intensity work outs and then recovery (rest). More on that later.]

That said, if you do not chose a plan then you will meander from workout to workout without real benefit and potentially work yourself into an injury.  Without a training plan, I am not sure that there is much I can do to help you as most of the next three months will be getting acclimated to the plan.

Don't worry if your race is too far out in terms of weeks vis-s-vis the plans available ... there are winter maintenance plans that will enable you to build your base - and that will make you that much stronger come time to 'formally' enter into your plan.

Take a look at the plans available here (or elsewhere) and let me know what questions you may have.  In the (likely) event I do not know the answers, I'll probably at least know where to help you look for the answers.

Heart Rate Training

I am drinking the Kool-Aid; I live in Zone 2.  This is the base building/glycogen training/fat burning zone discussed above.

A heart rate monitor essentially enables you to see the intensity at which you are training in.  It is not perfect -- but it is the best, most economical way an everyday athlete can take a lot of the guess work out of training.

I use the Garmin Forerunner 301 which can be had for ~$154.00 at Walmart.com (see: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3556738) ... there are other HR monitors that come in as low as $39.95 (see: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/item_list.cfm?category_id=32&estore_ID=959).

While it is not required by any means, consider getting a HR monitor to use as your training companion. If you do, I will walk you through the establishing your zones.

Equipment + Tri Gear

Don't worry if you do not have a bike yet ... there are plenty of after-Christmas sales and the 2006 models are getting cheaper by the day.  If you have a bike in mind, post it here and let's take a look at it in terms of bang for bucks.

If you do not have a bike in mind, there are two things you should consider: road vs. tri bike and your budget. 

I first bought a mountain bike (GT Avalanche 1.0) thinking that I was going to do adventure races, not triathlons. Then I did a tri and knew I was going to do more ... so I bought a road bike (Bianchi Imola).  I hate hated swimming and the thinking was if I didn't get the knack of it, I could always do road biking (which I have always enjoyed). 

Then I got the hang of swimming - thanks to my Team in Training swim coach teaching Total Immersion - and got a tri bike (Cervelo Dual).  (Needless to say, my wife is a little outdone with bicycles!)

My recommendation will be to skip the mountain bike step and choose between road vs. tri bike.  Some road bikes are better than others at accepting aerobars (has to do with the geometry of the bike frame) ... so it will be important to ask before purchasing. (We'll post the question and let the gear heads like Daremo, Bear and others opine about the suitability.)

If you have a bike already, then don't worry.  Just make sure that it is in good working order and that you have a helmet.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas because you are going to have a GREAT New Year (at least that is how I felt after my first full year of tri-training).

2006-12-27 7:47 AM
in reply to: #632702

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
trying2tri1906 - 2006-12-24 7:22 PM

Team,

I've added you all to my blog.  And I also have the following questions being a newbie:

-Heart Rate Monitor: What brand(s) are solid - everyone I know has told me to get a Polar

-Heart Rate Monitor: what features do you each feel are important to have in a device?

See above re: Garmin ... and then do a quick search of the forum's for a couple threads of discussion about it (search forum link is below the BT Store tab above) .  Personally, I think my Garmin is the best thing since sliced bread in that it will tell you (in real time):

1) heart rate
2) pace/speed (run/cycle)
3) HR zone
4) distance traveled
5) distance to go
6) time elapsed
7) other items

It is also programmable to do different workouts. For instance, you can load your training program into your Garmin, turn it on and then it will lead you through the workouts for the day.  Personally, I do not do that but have used it for pre-programed speedwork drills and so forth.

Lastly, it will download into your PC so that you can see (and track) the results of your work out - which I then transfer to my blog. (You can also do graphs that cross reference performance over elevation, lasped time, distance, pace, etc.)

While full of cool functionality, some prefer a simpler model.  See the link above for Performance Bike for a taste of some of the different HR monitors out there.  Also try eBay (although do not buy a used one ... you sweat in these a lot!)

-Bike: Road or Tri?  Why? Brands?  My plan is to get a bike in January 2007.  And I've been told about the popular ones (i.e. Trekk and Giant), but what else?

Here is one article often cited on the subject: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml and here is another I found from a quick Google search http://www.trinewbies.com/Article.asp?ArticleID=11

Different bike brands have different fits (this is due in large part to the difference in top tube length and angle as it relates to the other 2 sides of the bike frame triangle) ... the key thing is to find the bike that fits you.

You will need to shop around at different stores - and go to more than one store (even if it is to see the same brand again).  Be sure to get assistance from someone at the store to fit you e.g. which size frame - usually measured in centimeters - and this will vary slightly by brand and type (I am a 55 cm in Bianchi but a 54 cm in Cervelo).

After you pick the bike that fits, then let's talk componentry, pedals and wheelset.

-Running Drills: In order to build up more of an endurance base here, what sorts of drills can you recommend

At this point, you should be doing nothing but adding to your distance utilizing a low (Zone 2) heart rate.  This should be a pace that you feel that you can run for over an hour. Drills come later as they do little good without first building your foundation of fitness. (Much like building a house ... you got to have a solid foundation in order to build strong framework ... cannot emphasize this enough.)

I certainly hope everyone has a safe and pleasant holiday weekend with their famiglias and love ones.

Edited by brian 2006-12-27 7:49 AM
2006-12-27 8:15 AM
in reply to: #632241

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

kimje - 2006-12-23 8:44 AM Brian, The races I did last year were the SC Festival of Flowers (Olympic) in about 2:45 I think. I did the SC half-ironman here in Greenwood in 6:01. Finished middle of the pack for both.

I did the SC H-IM this year ... and suffered through it due to a lack of base training (injury in July due to restarting training with too much volume + intensity - and then three weeks of travel for work).  I also goofed up my nutrition (double does of Gu2O meant electrolytes were askew + the extra salt = frequent pit stops (I urinated a record SIX times during the course of the race).

After doing a metabolic HR test (VO2max) I since found that I went too hard on the bike and therefore suffered for it on the run. (Ran out of gas.)

I do have a heart rate monitor, but have only been using it for interest sake, not following it really. I do find it useful on the trainer to make sure I am working hard enough. I mostly go by 'feel', which I guess is RPE.

Humble advice: drink the HR Kool-Aid ... it will ensure that you will be able to 'go the distance'.  In your case, this will ensure that you have the gas in the tank to get to your strength: running.

Plenty of people train for this distance without the benefit of HR training - but I have not run across one (and there are 30+ people in our training group that is training for CdA).  

The good news is that you have plenty of time for base work.  Do you have races planned between now and IMFL? Do you plan on doing both again leading up to IMFL? (If so, you may want to choose an additional Oly towards the end of the summer as a tune up for your H-IM, which would be a tune-up for IMFL). Also, have you chosen your first couple races of the season (10k's, half mary, sprint tri, century, etc.)?

2006-12-27 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Brian,

I plan on doing the same races I did last year as they are right here. The Festival of Flowers Olympic one is June 10th. The SC half-ironman is September 30th. Since both my husband and I work weekends, my race time is limited, especially if travel is involved. There is a metric century here in June as well that I would like to do if my husband and I are both off that weekend. I don't know when that one is yet. I guess that means that IMFL will be my 5th triathlon. Maybe the SC half will fit in your schedule again this year as well.

-Kim

2006-12-27 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Jon,

I have a polar heart rate monitor, basic model. I am just learning to use it, so I can't help you much there. I have a road bike, Giant, that I got used off of e-bay. A used bike can be a cheaper way to get going until you decide exactly what you want. Mine is a 1995 model frame that is carbon fiber with fairly good components that I got for $350 and included clipless pedals and aerobars. The only problem with buying on-line is the fit issue. In that regard, I agree that it is better to go to some shops and try a few out.

-Kim
2006-12-28 1:11 PM
in reply to: #632001

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

gygyhawk - 2006-12-22 4:59 PM I am reading a book right now called "Triathlons for Women" by Sally Edwards. It is gving me the basic techniques for all three events, and suggestions for training variations. A lot to process (I'll just start with the basics for now).

Good basis for piecing together your training plan. I did the same thing with Triathlete Magazine writer Matt Fitzgerald's "Complete Guide to Triathlon Training".  Let me know if you run across something that does not make sense at first blush.

I am not swimming at all right now, nor have I for some years (outside of prenatal water aerobics which doesn't count for our purposes here). Looks like the Master's programs near me are in the evening and my hubby works second shift, so that would be tough with the kids, dinner, bath & bed (you know the drill). The adult swim class I signed up for says it is for beginners to advanced and includes stroke instruction, and is open-format with our goals in mind, so I think it will do the trick.

That sounds perfect.  Be sure to tell them that you are looking for endurance swimming as some swim coaches are all about power (high turn over, big leg kicking, etc.) ... which does not jibe very well with the swim distances and the bike + run afterwards

As for the bike, I have a mtn. bike with a rusty chain hanging from my garage ceiling (ha ha). I think I'll go to a shop and get it tuned up, and while I'm there get measured to see what I would really need (I wasn't measured for the mtn. bike).

Since you sit largely upright on a mountain bike, fit is less of a concern than a road or tri bike where you are more bent over the top tube.  Stop by a bike shop and ask them to help pick the right size bike for you ... this will enable you to shop for the right size bike.

My friend has one I can borrow, if it will fit. I've heard of people buying used bikes from others who just want a new one, or never really rode the one they had. So, I may check into that. I definately don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars, and I know that is "cheap." 

Is your friend roughly the same height as you?  Similar upper torso + leg lengths? If so then that would be the optimal solution.  E-bay has some deals on used bikes, but taking into account the shipping and the unknown. Also, the bikes tend to go for more than what I was looking to pay for a used bike (up to 80% of retail). That is not to say that deals are not out there to be had - just that I did not find one when I was looking ... and in the end it got to be a bit more gamble given the risks vs. reward.

You might want to try Craigslist.com as you can pick up locally and ask your local bike store for where you might find a used bike. (Sometimes they have bulletin boards in the store that you can look over ... I kow that our local REI store does).

Regardless of what you find in terms of a bargain, it is not a bargain if the bike does not fit.  In fact an ill-fitting bike can make riding feel like dental wor, lead to injury (stretching hamstrings, stressing hip flexors comes to mind) and mean decreased power despite demanding heavier exertion.

It is for that reason that no matter what bike you get, you ought to get it properly fitted.  If you settle on a road bike, then the fitting ought to cost something like $50 ... and it will be the best $50 you spend all season.

My runs are usually 3 miles twice a week. Mainly, just for cardio. I am about a 10-11 min. pace. Since having kids my left knee has been giving me some pain during runs, especially the downhill. I know I need to strength train to see if it helps. So I will add two strength training sessions per week, after two of my "short" cardio workouts.

As you are in the medical field, I'll let that alone ... but it could be a muscle imbalance or something more serious. Keep an eye on it as I have always heard that localized pain is your body telling you something -- and that you should never exercise through pain.

My goal right now for the race is just to finish before the time limit 2 1/2 hrs., and not be dead last. As I progress in training and get an idea of what it will really take, I may become more ambitious with my goal. The only other event I really had my eye on is the Race for the Cure in Oct. 2007. But, I think your suggestion to add some races is a good one, to keep my motivation strong, since June is 6 mo. away.

Try www.active.com to find some races in the interim ... look for a 5k and then a 10k to work towards.  It is sooooo much easier to stay on track with your training when you have an intermediary goal to work towards.

Have a happy New Year!

2006-12-28 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Wow! What a load of info.

I don't think that bike fit can be stressed enough. I would suggest going to a local bike or tri shop and talking to the staff. I got fit when I bought my first tri bike and it was a great experience. I spent an hour and a half with a bike guru that measured me, had me ride as he adjusted measurements, explained the significance of each and answered all of my questions. If you can, I'd suggest even doing a fit before you buy your first bike (new or used). At the fit, you'll get a set of bike specs that are unique to you. From there, with the help of a measuring tape, you can adjust a bike and determine if it will work for you or not.

Hope everyone is having a good week! I'm off to play in the snow again.

2006-12-31 2:12 PM

User image

Houston, TX

I got an HRM (Polar) and will be receiving it sometime next week.  I'll look through the instructions first and then reach out to you all if I have any additional questions (which I'm sure I'll have).  Next weekend, while home in fla, I'll do the whole bike thing.  I think I'm gonna try to get a refurb and go from there.  However, I'll def check the end of year sales.

Question: the training plan I'm using has some shorter workouts during the week (15m swims or 20 min bike).  Given the focus on base building for me, what is the best way to make good use of this time?  On the weekends I tend to alter my workouts and do "bricks", but am not quite sure of the best way to set up the training for the week.

Enjoy your NYE celebrations.  And be safe.

Ciao Ciao

Jon

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6