Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-24 7:32 AM
in reply to: #665460

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Question of the Week

gygyhawk - 2007-01-23 5:50 PM ... Any tips for getting the hand of the clipless pedals?

You are going to fall ... but no need to injure yourself while doing it.  If you find that you are not going to be able to unclip and will fall, remember to act like a turtle and keep your arms + legs in and bend your back.

Keep your hands on the handle bars with elbows bent (as well as your knees).  As you hit the pavement, try to continue a "roll" with your bike, that is clinched between your legs, coming up off the ground.

Lastly, laugh and smile to yourself as you will have joined the club that has more members than it can count.

2007-01-24 8:28 AM
in reply to: #665981

User image

Ocean Springs, MS (on the Gulf of Mexico)
I remember the first time I fell while clipped in. I think the heat in my ears from my embarassment was greater than any pain from the actual fall. I will say it is an immediate adrenalin rush!
2007-01-24 8:30 AM
in reply to: #629763

User image

Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL
If you have never drafted before, you will notice the big difference it makes the first time you do and from then on you will look to take advantage of it in any future group rides. Work to ride with some Clydesdales like me and you will feel like you could ride all day.
2007-01-24 10:32 AM
in reply to: #666042

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Oooh, that is funny.

The last time I fell it was after I passed a friend on my brand new, shinny tri-bike out in the middle of no-where.  I had just adjusted the springs in the clips as they were too loose.

Well, at that point they were too tight b/c when I came to a stop sign I couldn't unclip for the life of me.

It took my friend forever to catch up the last 100 yds as he was dying with laughter.

BillManduca - 2007-01-24 9:28 AM I remember the first time I fell while clipped in. I think the heat in my ears from my embarassment was greater than any pain from the actual fall. I will say it is an immediate adrenalin rush!

2007-01-24 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Speaking of falling, I was uptown last night and a lady and her son were crossing a one way street (not at the cross walk), and a bike messanger was coming up the street the wrong way...formula for trouble. Needless to say they pedestrians ran right out in front of him and he took them down to the ground. It was a nasty sight to see the impact, but they were all okay, just shook up a bit.
2007-01-24 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

My clipless falls have luckily been while not moving.  Most recently happended last year at a rest stop during a century ride with lots of witnesses. I unclipped one foot to put on the ground but then somehow I lost my balance and then fell over the other side. What's worse was that I scrached my new bike that I only had for a couple of weeks. I've seen it happen to the most seasoned cyclists in my tri club - it's a very big non-discriminatory club!

Good pace line tips. I was lucky enough to ride with a newbie group for a year where we learned all of those things. It's amazing how much faster you can go when being pulled along by someone else in front.

2007-01-24 12:07 PM

User image

The issue for me is not so much falling but trying to refine my T2 from bike to run. I usually unclip my right foot and then just coast to a stop stradling the bike and then dismount. When I rode clipless, I could bring my right foot over the rear tire and ride the left pedal until I came to a stop. Then I would just hop off. Now if I tried to do that with the clips, I know without a doubt I would fall (Wouldn't be able to unclip the left shoe fast enough).

I have been watching some Ironman races to see how they do it and I have seen them riding barefoot on top of their cycling shoes into the transition. I haven't been able to do this yet.

Open to suggestions anyone has on how to refine this process.
2007-01-24 12:19 PM
in reply to: #663775

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

brian - 2007-01-22 2:37 PM
Mission of the week: Take a look at any one of the other groups threads within the "Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program" (see link at the top of the page) and pick out one thing you either like about what they are doing and would like to do here and/or one thing you do not understand + would like a little more background information on.

My suggestions:
1) Weekly mini-goals to help with our training. One of mine for this week is to be sure that I eat more protein. Post goal on Monday and then have a mid-week check in.
2) Weekly check-in to update the group on how things are going. Just a summary of stuff like the good, bad, ugly of training, time management, eating/weight loss, misc life's trials and tribulations... It may help us get to know and encourage eachother better.
3) Mini-challenges. There are all the many BT challenges over a month. Maybe we can set a weekly swim goal and have a friendly little competition to see who achieves their goal. 

2007-01-24 12:19 PM
in reply to: #666387

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Way to focus on T2 times ... easiest way to shave time off the board is T1 and T2.  If you are already focused on this, then I bet your t-times are already pretty good.

I've heard the urban legend about how a triathlete coming into T2 pulled their feet out of their shoes and got their toe severed by getting it caught in the wheel/chopped by a bladed spoke ... while I doubt the veracity of the story, I do think about that when I am tempting to try this.

Truth of the matter, though, is that I do not think that you gain that much time by being able to ride in barefoot - and goodness knows there are other things I can do to shave :10-:30 seconds off my transition times.

The key for me to improve my t-times is to minimize the amount of "stuff" in the transition area - bare essentials only (none of the "well, it'd be nice to have if I need it ..."

If you look at the pros, their transition areas are bare to the bone. If you look at some of the AG'ers, it looks like a garage sale.

I was officiating a race last year when I had to stop someone from entering the transition area with a tow-along carrier full of junk for their transition area: a cooler, chair, big pan of water, duffel bag and so forth. 

We also routinely have to go through the transition area and ask folks to tidy-up/scale down the real estate they have staked out. There is a finite amount of space for everyone and when someone takes up too much space, it is at the detriment of another athlete.

As someone once told me: Less in the transition area = more time on the course

BillManduca - 2007-01-24 1:07 PM The issue for me is not so much falling but trying to refine my T2 from bike to run. I usually unclip my right foot and then just coast to a stop stradling the bike and then dismount. When I rode clipless, I could bring my right foot over the rear tire and ride the left pedal until I came to a stop. Then I would just hop off. Now if I tried to do that with the clips, I know without a doubt I would fall (Wouldn't be able to unclip the left shoe fast enough). I have been watching some Ironman races to see how they do it and I have seen them riding barefoot on top of their cycling shoes into the transition. I haven't been able to do this yet. Open to suggestions anyone has on how to refine this process.

2007-01-24 12:25 PM
in reply to: #666400

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

My suggestions:
1) Weekly mini-goals to help with our training. One of mine for this week is to be sure that I eat more protein. Post goal on Monday and then have a mid-week check in.

Great idea - let's start that Monday

2) Weekly check-in to update the group on how things are going. Just a summary of stuff like the good, bad, ugly of training, time management, eating/weight loss, misc life's trials and tribulations... It may help us get to know and encourage each other better.

Each of us should already be checking the other's logs - but may not have left a note/"inspire" to them know that we had dropped by ... please leave a note each time to let them know that you're rooting for them!

3) Mini-challenges. There are all the many BT challenges over a month. Maybe we can set a weekly swim goal and have a friendly little competition to see who achieves their goal. 

Another good one ... perhaps a two week challenge and we take turns picking the challenge.  Who wants to go first?  We'll start it on Monday ...

2007-01-24 12:34 PM
in reply to: #666402

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
That is too funny. In my triathlon book by Sally Edwards, she talks a lot about all women tri's and first timers who eat cake and champagne toast, etc. in transition. The thought makes me want to hurl....

brian - 2007-01-24 1:19 PM

I was officiating a race last year when I had to stop someone from entering the transition area with a tow-along carrier full of junk for their transition area: a cooler, chair, big pan of water, duffel bag and so forth. 

2007-01-24 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
When I first got my road bike, I practiced with the clipless pedals while riding in the trainer. If you have a trainer, this will help a lot. That being said, I was once turning around to head home on a ride, hit a rock, lost my balance, and couldn't get unclipped fast enough. I fell right in the middle of the road! Luckily, it was a back road with little traffic and no one coming. Best part was I was by myself, so no witnesses! I must have many stories of getting stuck in my pedals on my mountain bike. The fall there is MUCH softer.

-Kim
2007-01-24 12:35 PM
in reply to: #666387

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

BillManduca - 2007-01-24 11:07 AM
I have been watching some Ironman races to see how they do it and I have seen them riding barefoot on top of their cycling shoes into the transition. I haven't been able to do this yet. Open to suggestions anyone has on how to refine this process.

They also use elastic bands to rig up their shoes so that they can ride barefoot out of T1. Real triathlte bike shoes have straps that fold out to the outside so that they won't get caught in the bike wheel when they are loosened.

I was told by numerous triathletes in my club that it's safer to mount and dismount properly outside of a chaotic transition area where there will be many people coming and going (yep, both ways when the race has different distances and duathlons). The time saved by doing the barefoot thing is mere seconds. Unless you can do it in your sleep and under total control, then I wouldn't worry about it this early in your tri career. I imagine that it would take a whole lot of practice - time that I'd rather be training. I've seen mishaps occur as a newbie was having a hard time just getting up to speed and was swerving all over the place, into the paths of other cyclists, even elite cyclists doing their running dismount. Not pretty.

2007-01-24 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
question I've seen these abbreviations on people's logs, what do they mean?
WU:
MS:
CD:

Edited by gygyhawk 2007-01-24 1:01 PM
2007-01-24 1:27 PM
in reply to: #666477

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

gygyhawk - 2007-01-24 11:57 AM question I've seen these abbreviations on people's logs, what do they mean?

WU: warmup
MS: main set
CD: cooldown

2007-01-26 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Thanks everybody for the Inspire me messages! I just found them and they are great!

-Kim

2007-01-26 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Scheduled my RMR and VO2 Max test for Tuesday. We are doing it on the bike, as I am uncoordinated on the treadmill, and most of my time training will be on the bike. They tell me it will only be off by a couple of pts for running. Can't wait to get the numbers.
2007-01-26 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Gwendolyn,

Your testing sounds exciting, although the exact process may not be that fun.

Brian,

Can you give me a link or remind me how to determine my proper HR zones by myself? What kind of trainer ride could I do to determine this and what kind of running test?

Thanks!

-Kim
2007-01-28 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
I'm thinking of getting a trainer for the bike, any reccomendations on brands, types, etc.? I'm not looking to spend much. Thanks!
2007-01-29 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I have a Cyclops magnetic trainer that I have ridden hard for 4 years now. I am not sure of the exact model. I think it was about $150 and has been work every penny.

-Kim
2007-01-29 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
One more thing...when they talk about wheel size for trainers, do you include the tire or just the rim?

2007-01-30 8:31 AM
in reply to: #669201

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

kimje - 2007-01-26 3:31 PM Gwendolyn, Your testing sounds exciting, although the exact process may not be that fun. Brian, Can you give me a link or remind me how to determine my proper HR zones by myself? What kind of trainer ride could I do to determine this and what kind of running test? Thanks! -Kim

Kim:

Yeah, another Kool Aid drinker  HR trainee

Here is a link to the first article about determining your HR zone: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=405 ... take a look and then let's discuss the questions here or in Triathlon Talk.

2007-01-30 1:04 PM
in reply to: #671574

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

I got the CycleOps Fluid2 trainer off of e-Bay at the begining of the off-season ... there are a couple on there now for $215.00 delivered.

Bicycle wheels are generally 700's or 650's ... unless you are talking about a mountain bike wheel (if so, then we'd have to check).  Can you cut and paste the reference to the wheel size?  Not sure that the size of the wheel is a factor in that most trainers have a knob or some other mechanism in the back that either brings forward or lowers the rear unit fly-wheel from the tire.

gygyhawk - 2007-01-29 2:30 PM One more thing...when they talk about wheel size for trainers, do you include the tire or just the rim?

2007-01-30 1:36 PM
in reply to: #672931

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
I have a mtn. bike. The rim is 22". Here is the quote...
The legs on our trainer adjust up and down to level the bike. By selecting one of the three available positions, the trainer can fit most 700c, 650c, 20", 24", 26", and 29" so that the bike is level. In most cases, it eliminates the need for a riser block. The Small Wheel Adapter is needed for tires less than 22" in diameter.

brian - 2007-01-30 2:04 PM

I got the CycleOps Fluid2 trainer off of e-Bay at the begining of the off-season ... there are a couple on there now for $215.00 delivered.

Bicycle wheels are generally 700's or 650's ... unless you are talking about a mountain bike wheel (if so, then we'd have to check).  Can you cut and paste the reference to the wheel size?  Not sure that the size of the wheel is a factor in that most trainers have a knob or some other mechanism in the back that either brings forward or lowers the rear unit fly-wheel from the tire.

gygyhawk - 2007-01-29 2:30 PM One more thing...when they talk about wheel size for trainers, do you include the tire or just the rim?

2007-01-30 3:52 PM
in reply to: #672991

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

If the trainer can accomodate both 24" and 26" sized rims, then one would think that the adjustable part of the fly wheel would accomodate the middling size.

Just to be sure, you might want to talk to your LBS about that prior to plunking down the Benjamins.

If your mountain bike has the typical knobby tires, then you will also want to have the tire changed to "slicks" (which are essentially the same tires but without the dirt grabbing knobs). Slicks typically cost >$15.00 (I've seen them at PerformanceBike.com for >$8.00 ea.)

All of that said, you might want to think about putting that $$$ towards a road bike.  You can get a decent road bike for ~$500.00 as bike stores are looking to clear out last year's models. (If you can find a 2005 model, so much the better - so long that it is even cheaper!

Don't get me wrong, you can use your mountain bike for triathlons (I did my first one on a heavy GT Avalanche 1.0) ... but you will enjoy riding your road bike training over the longer distances so much more. 

Note: also check Craigslist.com and do a search under "trainer" ... perhaps you can pick up a cheaper used one?

gygyhawk - 2007-01-30 2:36 PM I have a mtn. bike. The rim is 22". Here is the quote... The legs on our trainer adjust up and down to level the bike. By selecting one of the three available positions, the trainer can fit most 700c, 650c, 20", 24", 26", and 29" so that the bike is level. In most cases, it eliminates the need for a riser block. The Small Wheel Adapter is needed for tires less than 22" in diameter.
brian - 2007-01-30 2:04 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6