Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-30 4:21 PM
in reply to: #629763

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL
I second the idea of changing the tires if they are knobby mountain bike tires. I used to ride my mountain bike on the trainer with the knobby tires. The biggest problem I found is that it was so much louder! I also seemed to be prone to flats on the trainer with the mountain bike set up and haven't had that at all with the road bike.

-Kim

2007-01-30 5:10 PM

User image

Houston, TX

Team,

Sorry for the silence on my end.  I've been pretty busy with work.  but I ave kept up with my training.  JUST finished updating my training log for Jan 2007.

As well, I've decided to get the following bike this week:

http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/aerott.htm

2007-01-30 6:16 PM
in reply to: #673218

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
I did get road tires put on it, with a little tread, cause I'm a klutz and need traction. I will find out from the bike shop how to pick the tire size. I may look at a road bike next year. Just want to make sure this is going to become a habit, before I buy a new bike. Thanks for the tips.

brian - 2007-01-30 4:52 PM

If the trainer can accomodate both 24" and 26" sized rims, then one would think that the adjustable part of the fly wheel would accomodate the middling size.

Just to be sure, you might want to talk to your LBS about that prior to plunking down the Benjamins.

If your mountain bike has the typical knobby tires, then you will also want to have the tire changed to "slicks" (which are essentially the same tires but without the dirt grabbing knobs). Slicks typically cost >$15.00 (I've seen them at PerformanceBike.com for >$8.00 ea.)

Edited by gygyhawk 2007-01-30 6:16 PM

2007-01-31 7:00 AM
in reply to: #673352

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Welcome back ... nice set-up on the bike - especially the extras included: aerobars and not only include the clipless pedals, but also the cleats that fit onto your cycling shoes. 

Have you been to your local bike store to get measured for size?  Also, let them you know that you are buying a bike and inquire as to the price for a fitting (be sure to mention aerobars) ... it should be anywhere from $75-$125 - and while it may sound superfluous it is absolutely key to get done.

Another bike that is in that price point is the Giant OCR ($~549.00) ... but it does not come with the pedals/cleats and aerobars.  That said, you could finagle the fit and free adjustments/tune-ups into the price of the bike as well as ask for a discount on the pedals + aerobars.

Not trying to dissuade you from the Mercier - it would be a fine bike to train on and ride in a race - just letting you know now about costs that I found out about the hard way after I purchased my first road bike a year and a half ago.

Btw, shoes were another cost I did not anticipate.  I was really surprised to find out that the minimum price on these were ~$80.00 range at REI and Performance Bikes (this was in the middle of the season so nothing was on sale).  Be sure to check e-Bay for shoes as well as sales at your local bike shops, REI or Performance now during the dead cold of winter as they are closing out last year's inventory.

I picked up a pair of new Carnac TRS7's for $65.00 delivered  off of e-Bay a month or so ago -- and they are normally $189.00 in the stores. (Note: cycling shoes are in European measurements.)

trying2tri1906 - 2007-01-30 6:10 PM

Team,

Sorry for the silence on my end.  I've been pretty busy with work.  but I ave kept up with my training.  JUST finished updating my training log for Jan 2007.

As well, I've decided to get the following bike this week:

http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/aerott.htm

2007-01-31 7:39 AM
in reply to: #673352

User image

Ocean Springs, MS (on the Gulf of Mexico)
Jon,

That is a great looking bike especially for the price and the extras included! When I get ready for my next bike, I'll look you up and get you to ferret out the good deals.

By the way: There is a new BT article on aerobars that may be of interest to you, especially if you have never used aerobars. It talks about the different settings and the advantages of each plus how to avoid injury by gradually adjusting the height in relation to your seat. I learned a lot from the article and will use the information when I eventually lose my gut so I can bend over into the aero position.
2007-01-31 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
My swim instructor set up a long and short workout for me. Just thought I'd post it and get feedback on what you all think, since you've done this more than I have. I'm only three weeks into swimming, and it is my weakest area of the three. I need to shorten it a little for a while, since my short swims are 14-23 min for the next few months, and my long swims are 24-35 min. Any comments, advice, suggestions?

SHORT:
100 warm up
6x50 w/ pull buoy (arms only) on 1:45
-work on breathing and strengthening your upper body
2x100 on 3:15
100 warm down
TOTAL Yards: 700
Estimated time: 25 min
*I decided that on these short work outs it will be good for you to get a good upper body workout. I know you will be using your legs much more in the biking and running part of the triathalon.

LONG:
100 warm up
8x50 w/ kickboard on 1:45
1x50
1x100
1x200
1x100
1x50
100 warm down
TOTAL Yards: 1100
Estimated Time: 50 min
*This is called a pyramid. It will really help your endurance. We will do this on Saturday and make it a little more challenging as you progress.

2007-02-01 9:59 AM
in reply to: #674723

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Looks like a great set of workouts ... especially like the pull buoy b/c it will help with the muscle memory of having your hips high in the water. In other words, when you are swimming w/o the pull buoy, you should try to mimic the bdy position it gives you.

Did your swim instructor look at your stroke and prescribe drills that may help you on form? 

gygyhawk - 2007-01-31 6:27 PM My swim instructor set up a long and short workout for me. Just thought I'd post it and get feedback on what you all think, since you've done this more than I have. I'm only three weeks into swimming, and it is my weakest area of the three. I need to shorten it a little for a while, since my short swims are 14-23 min for the next few months, and my long swims are 24-35 min. Any comments, advice, suggestions? SHORT: 100 warm up 6x50 w/ pull buoy (arms only) on 1:45 -work on breathing and strengthening your upper body 2x100 on 3:15 100 warm down TOTAL Yards: 700 Estimated time: 25 min *I decided that on these short work outs it will be good for you to get a good upper body workout. I know you will be using your legs much more in the biking and running part of the triathalon. LONG: 100 warm up 8x50 w/ kickboard on 1:45 1x50 1x100 1x200 1x100 1x50 100 warm down TOTAL Yards: 1100 Estimated Time: 50 min *This is called a pyramid. It will really help your endurance. We will do this on Saturday and make it a little more challenging as you progress.

2007-02-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: #674723

User image

Suggest talking with your coach about some swim drills. Total Immersion recommends a series of stroke improvement drills that are very good. You can see some of them at their website (Google Total Immersion Swimming). These drills are important because swimming is more about technique than than anything else. TI really advocates being "slippery and long" as opposed to the "no pain, no gain" mentality of just doing large volume of yards in the pool. It's kind of like working smarter not necessarily harder.

These drills have the advantage that they improve your stroke by making it possible to develop new stroke habits (it works around any of the bad muscle memory habits you may have already developed), AND by doing the drills, you are also getting yardage in that helps your endurance. As you incorporate drills into your workout, I highly recommend using a set of fins especially if you have a weak flutter kick like I do. This helps keep a forward momentum going so you can concentrate on the drill's stroke work without working too hard to get to the other end of the pool.

The most important thing about the swim sets is keeping track of your heart rate. This is difficult in that HRM's don't work very well in the pool. Stay in zones 2 or 3. Ask your coach about interval training. Depending on your skill and fitness levels, these can be done using any distance. An example might look like this:

Swim as many 100 yd repeats on 2:30 as you can (This means that if you swim the 100 in 2:00, you get a 30 second rest. After the 30 seconds, you start the next one.). Swim these until you are only getting 5 or 10 seconds rest then stop (keep track of your heart rate also). Once you get to the point where you have built up to doing 10 100's and getting 15 or 20 seconds rest, lower the interval to 2:20 or 2:15 and start the progression to 10 all over. This builds the endurance you are looking for. I typically do a set like this as the next one right after my warmup. Then once I finish it, I rest by doing some low intensity swim drills as an active way of resting and also working on my technique while I am tired.

I like the pyramid set your coach set up. Swimming is as much mental (if not more than) physical. My constant battle is my mind and how I am thinking while swimming. As the pain of fatigue sets in during the workout, you really start playing mind games with yourself. The pyramid set helps to combat this, especially as you work through the down side.

The pull buoy is a good workout, but I would be VERY cautious about using stroke paddles with them. I am waiting until I have built up my shoulder muscles to racing strength before I even think about using them. They can cause significant shoulder injuries if not used properly or your shoulder strength has not been built up enough.

One other thought that you probably have already considered is that I like to schedule my swim workouts after my long runs or bikes in an effort to help my leg recovery. Therefore I don't place a lot of emphasis on my swim kick during my swim workouts. I typically will do some 50s using breaststroke just to stretch my legs from the previous days run or bike. Check TI's philosophy about the kick especially as it relates to leg energy expenditure in a triathlon.

One thing I have incorporated in my post swim workout is some time in the jacuzzi. The local YMCA I swim at has one and it has made a difference in getting the lactic acid out of my muscles and reducing the stiffness and soreness.
2007-02-01 10:17 AM
in reply to: #675376

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
*** hiccup! *** (double post)

Edited by brian 2007-02-01 10:19 AM
2007-02-01 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

BillManduca - 2007-02-01 11:04 AM ... The pull buoy is a good workout, but I would be VERY cautious about using stroke paddles with them. I am waiting until I have built up my shoulder muscles to racing strength before I even think about using them. They can cause significant shoulder injuries if not used properly or your shoulder strength has not been built up enough.

Bill ... wow - good words of wisdom there!  I "re-learned" how to swim using Total Immersion and it changed everything.  As TI is all about efficiency, glide and form, I no longer struggle against the water, but swim through it. (I know this sounds like a Zen-something, but it's not ... )

The warning about the evils of paddles is particulary apt ... it is probably best to stay away from those (I suspect their us/my misuse was a significant factor in straining my shoulder late December/early January).

A word of caution about relaxing your legs too much ... like I used to do.  I would not kick enough and would end up dragging my legs - which then caused my hips to sink ... which then caused my arms to fatigue early. 

I have since been corrected and have learned that kicking is fundamental to maintaining your ability to be 'long and tall' in the water as it keeps your heels near the water line and helps prevent your hips from sinking.  You still want to kick - just not so much that you blow your legs out  prior to the bike and run

Edited by brian 2007-02-01 10:19 AM
2007-02-01 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the advice. I found a few drills on triswimcoach.com for hip rotation, hand entry, kicking on your side, and one called a shark fin drill (for bringing your arms around correctly). My coach says that my form looks really good, but I'll ask about some drills to make sure I don't get sloppy. I'm afraid of trying to fix what aint broke and making it worse. My biggest challenge right now is endurance, getting winded and wanting to stop (the mental game...can I keep going or is the lifeguard going to have to pull me out of the pool). My coach talked about how to do intervals, but thanks for the great explanation, I'm sure I will refer back to it as I progress. I am making a commitmet to a monthly massage, as a way to stay relaxed, and reward myself for all the hard work I put in.

brian - 2007-02-01 10:59 AM

Did your swim instructor look at your stroke and prescribe drills that may help you on form?

BillManduca - 2007-02-01 11:04 AM

Suggest talking with your coach about some swim drills.
Ask your coach about interval training.
As the pain of fatigue sets in during the workout, you really start playing mind games with yourself.
One thing I have incorporated in my post swim workout is some time in the jacuzzi. has made a difference in getting the lactic acid out of my muscles and reducing the stiffness and soreness.

Edited by gygyhawk 2007-02-01 12:35 PM

2007-02-01 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Bill,

I really liked your advice too. I work with a master's group, but they start at 6 am and I am usually finishing up at about 6:20. I am never totally sure if I am really doing it right.

-Kim
2007-02-03 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

brian - 2007-02-01 9:17 AM
Bill ... wow - good words of wisdom there!  I "re-learned" how to swim using Total Immersion and it changed everything.  As TI is all about efficiency, glide and form, I no longer struggle against the water, but swim through it. (I know this sounds like a Zen-something, but it's not ... )

A word of caution about relaxing your legs too much ... like I used to do.  I would not kick enough and would end up dragging my legs - which then caused my hips to sink ... which then caused my arms to fatigue early. 

I have since been corrected and have learned that kicking is fundamental to maintaining your ability to be 'long and tall' in the water as it keeps your heels near the water line and helps prevent your hips from sinking.  You still want to kick - just not so much that you blow your legs out  prior to the bike and run

Excellent tips Bill! Swimming on the 2:30 is a good idea. At master's practice, I was always too slow to swim on the 30 or whatever, so never paid attention to that part of the workout.

Ditto on the kicking. I learned to swim pretty using TI but always at the same slow constant speed. I had a few private coaching sessions last year where I learned that if you want to swim faster, you have to actually swim faster. Go figure!  Kicking correctly (with little knee action) along with kick sets and faster intervals made my overall swim stronger without compromising my legs too much for the bike and run.

Gwen, thanks for the workouts! And, be patient. One day soon, as you work with your coach, your swim will just "click". Doing the TI weekend was awesome for me. After two days of instruction, I could swim non-stop for what felt like forever! One the key phrases that I recall over and over again: Don't practice struggle. When I'm feeling overwhelmed, tired, or just swallowing too much water - I revert back to the basics (ahhh, sweet spot).

FWIW, I got a fluid trainer from Performance bikes - Travel Trac Millenium. Not top of the line, but it hasn't given me any problems yet.

John, congrats on meeting your goal body weight!! Also, I second the idea of checking the local shops. Usually, when you buy a new bike from a LBS they will include free tune-ups for a year along with making suitable adjustments anytime. As well, with a bike fit, the shop can easily swap out parts to ensure the pefect fit at no cost to you. The extra $ was well worth it for me, even though I moved 3000 miles away from my choice LBS a few months after getting my Felt.

2007-02-06 6:48 PM

User image

Houston, TX

So...I've just gone and looked at my event for March 18th for rules on what is permitted to wear.  And i didn't see anything that clearly stated ANYTHING.  So, I went to the USAT site and came away with the same thing.  So, I'm now coming to you all and asking about the following:

-Can I wear my watch?

-Is there any rule on the type of bottoms and top that I decide to wear?

-anything else that I cannot think of (lol)?

less than 6 weeks out.  I am definitely excited.

2007-02-07 8:06 AM
in reply to: #681977

User image

Wear your watch. The biggest concern there is if it is water proof!

I wear my heart rate monitor chest strap (transmitter) and my watch unit and foot pod on my running shoe. No problems rule-wise.

The only issue re: clothing that I am aware of is the cut off water temp for wet suits. The race director determines at what temp they are allowed. Can't use a wetsuit if the temp is above this cut off temp.

The important thing is to wear some clothing You don't look like the type that would wear anything offensive.
2007-02-07 12:06 PM
in reply to: #681977

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Brian talked to me about starting the mini-challenges, but I see that he's on travel this week. Maybe we can get going next week. Any votes for which discipline to start out with: swim (gets my vote), bike or run?

Jon, this time of year, I might assume that it's a pool swim? (I'm not sure which part of the country you're at). Unless you have bought a tri-suit (one-piece or top & bottom), you could easily wear jammer swim trunks and then slip on a wicking shirt in T1 (men can go topless in the water). I made the mistake once of wearing a typical wicking shirt under my wetsuit - it sucked up the water like a diaper. For the same reason, nay on swimming in bike shorts. If you want your upper body covered during the swim, it's best to invest in a tri-top.

Other things?
- How often are you doing brick workouts? If not yet, then now is the time to start!
- Have you laid out your transition area and run through what you will need/want on race day? There are some checklists out there that can help.
- If you can, it's probably a good idea to get your bike tuned-up or at least just checked a week or so before race-day.
- Attend the pre-race meeting. They sometimes have a special session for newbies.

Here's the USAT rule on wetsuits:
Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wet suit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit. The wetsuit policy for elite athletes shall be determined by the USAT Athletes Advisory Council.

USAT rule on Indecent Exposure:
Public nudity at any time during the event is prohibited. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

Edited by marina 2007-02-07 12:10 PM

2007-02-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: #682818

User image

One idea I participated in last summer at my local YMCA was a Lazy Man's Triathlon. They gave us a month to complete an Ironman distance trialthlon. They had log sheets that you recorded your workouts on and kept track of the distances. The first person to complete the distances won (It didn't matter how fast you did the distance, only whether or not you did the distance.). Prizes to the top three finishers by gender. No age groups, everyone was equal.
2007-02-07 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Swim challenge sounds good to me. I need to work on my endurance. I saw an ad for this personal floatation belt used in open water swims, and it scared me. I know I'll be able to swim the distance when the time comes, and I'm going to do some open water practices before the event. I just hope it is not really crowded and their are plenty of lifeguards incase someone tries to run me over or something. So I pose the question to everyone, What is your experience in open water swims?
2007-02-07 2:22 PM
in reply to: #683027

User image

Whenever I feel the anxiety of being in a gaggle of folks clawing and scrapping, I just mentally try to slow myself down and relax and do some breast stroke. This keeps people at bay and gets my breathing and heartrate under control. I do this especially around turn buoys. The added advantage with breaststroke is that visability improves.

One mental game I have had to fight is the whole idea of if-I-don't-swim-the-whole-thing-without-stopping, I-have-somehow-failed. This is perfectionism trying to rise up in me. While I want to have a great performance, I am not perfect. I just try to improve on my last performance and keep my intensity in check. My first goal in any race is to have FUN! I don't want to get so obsessed that the whole tri thing steals my joy.
2007-02-07 2:48 PM
in reply to: #683039

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

BillManduca - 2007-02-07 1:22 PM Whenever I feel the anxiety of being in a gaggle of folks clawing and scrapping, I just mentally try to slow myself down and relax and do some breast stroke. This keeps people at bay and gets my breathing and heartrate under control. I do this especially around turn buoys. The added advantage with breaststroke is that visability improves.

When I get overwhelmed I just get out of the way and float on my back to catch my breath. Since I'm not particulary fast, I also avoid lining up at the front of the group. If it is a beach start, I don't run into the water as fast as I can, only to dive in with an elevated HR and a cold water head freeze. I walk in to keep my HR calm so that I can get into the swim without being out of breath before I even start. I find that calmly making it through the swim has me ready to hammer on the bike and run...and to pass many of those that started the swim too fast! One thing though that helps keep me the game with respect to racing: "Be a racer, not a spectator".

Mini-Challenges:
The ironman is a neat idea, but we're all at various stage of training and working towards different race distance so I don't think that it would too fair. Instead, I propose that we do a personal goal based challenge like the many BT challenges: Everyone comes up with their goal, either time or distance, for the next two weeks or month or whatever. Winner is the one who comes closest to, meets or exceeds their planned goal. We can measure progress as a percent of completed length over goal length.

I propose 2 to 3 weeks as a good length to start out with. And, I propose starting with swim since it's winter and everyone certainly has access to a pool. Besides, I need the motivation to get to the pool .

And, how about a personal health/well-being sort of challenge that would include goals like making healthy food choices, getting enough protein, sleeping enough, drinking enough, core/strength training, resting enough, or just thinking positively. Set a goal and then we can use a scale (1-3 to make it simple) to measure how well we did each day of the challenge. Person with the highest score wins!

2007-02-07 8:13 PM
in reply to: #683104

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
marina - 2007-02-07 3:48 PM

I propose that we do a personal goal based challenge like the many BT challenges: Everyone comes up with their goal, either time or distance, for the next two weeks or month or whatever. Winner is the one who comes closest to, meets or exceeds their planned goal. We can measure progress as a percent of completed length over goal length.

I propose 2 to 3 weeks as a good length to start out with. And, I propose starting with swim since it's winter and everyone certainly has access to a pool. Besides, I need the motivation to get to the pool .

And, how about a personal health/well-being sort of challenge that would include goalsĀ like making healthy food choices, getting enough protein, sleeping enough, drinking enough, core/strength training, resting enough, or just thinking positively. Set a goal and then we can use a scale (1-3 to make it simple) to measure how well we did each day of the challenge. Person with the highest score wins!

I think these are great ideas. When do we start?

2007-02-07 8:18 PM
in reply to: #683039

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
BillManduca - 2007-02-07 3:22 PM

"Whenever I feel the anxiety of being in a gaggle of folks clawing and scrapping, I just mentally try to slow myself down and relax and do some breast stroke. This keeps people at bay and gets my breathing and heartrate under control. I do this especially around turn buoys. The added advantage with breaststroke is that visability improves."

Thanks Bill, those are important things to realize and remember. My overall goal of doing this tri is to finish the race and enjoy doing it. If I can achieve that goal this time, I'll think about doing another one and maybe enven improving my times/performance. For me training is a means to a healthier life and I get to put my fitness/progress to the test and see how well I'm doing through the race. I am doing my race on the novice day, so hopefully I will be around others with the same attitude.
2007-02-08 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Marina,

That is a great idea! I am ready to try whenever everyone else is.

-Kim
2007-02-09 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Hey all ... I am back!

Mini-Challenges:
The ironman is a neat idea, but we're all at various stage of training and working towards different race distance so I don't think that it would too fair. Instead, I propose that we do a personal goal based challenge like the many BT challenges: Everyone comes up with their goal, either time or distance, for the next two weeks or month or whatever. Winner is the one who comes closest to, meets or exceeds their planned goal. We can measure progress as a percent of completed length over goal length.

Marina:

Think that is an excellent idea ... we have two choices for our mini-challenge: make the challenge central to one discipline e.g. the one you need the most motivation to accomplish (swimming for me) or to make it based upon meeting your whole schedule (for some folks it is fitting in a work out, period ... not necessarily any one discipline).

Let's make this one centered on fulfilling our workout schedules for the next two weeks, beginning Monday.  Don't have a schedule yet and are instead floating from work-out to work-out based upon feel? ... well, then, this is the time to nail one down.

When I first started, I got into a rhythym of doing certain workouts each day (Monday = swim, Tuesday = bike, Wednesday = run, etc.) but did not really have a plan that dictated amounts to perform each day, that would cumulate into a weekly total, etc.  I just did what I felt like that day.

While I still made some improvements, the workouts really were not that productive.  That is what led me to this site.  Since following a plan - complete with gradual and fixed increases - I have seen improvements I did not think possible ... and have escaped any significant injury. (In fact, the only time I have been injured has been when I did not follow the plan and tried to do work-outs that deviated from the 10% rule.

So ... the practical part of the challenge is to make sure that we all have a plan.  The "sporting" part of the challenge is to make sure that we are following it!  

Let's post our workouts for the week in our blog - say by Sunday evening and have the challenge begin Monday, continuing for two solid weeks.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas?

2007-02-09 8:43 AM
in reply to: #684935

User image

This sounds great Brian. I have been working to a plan, doing what each day calls for, but all I have it listed as is a time. Should I be emphasizing something beyound this? I know for example in my swim workouts I try to do sets based on different emphasis (i.e. stroke work, speed, endurance, etc.). I only know to do this because of my experience as a competitive swimmer in my youth. I suspect I should be doing the same with the bike and run segments. I haven't worried too much about this up to this point because I have been concentrating on my aerobic base. I am so thrilled that I can just jog two miles straight without walking. I am starting to wonder about speed - should I begin training at a rate faster that 15 minute miles?

I guess the bottom line question is when do I move from building my aerobic base to something else?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6