Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2006-12-20 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: hikergerb's Group - Full

Hikergerb / Steve

I am a 45 year old guy who was very active in my younger years but due to arthritis in my knees became less and less active.  In 2003 I had two partial knee replacements (kind of like retreading tires).  As part of the recovery from that my doctor enouraged me to walk, to bike, and to swim.  That slowly evloved into triathlon.  My replacements can't take the pounding of running so i racewalk the run portion.  I'll never win my age group but considering where i was every finish is a celebration!

I am married with 2 children (daughter-21, son -19 1/2) and two step children (daughters 18 1/2 and 15 1/2).  I've been married for 14 years and live in Minnesota just west of Minneapolis. 

Last year (2006 was my rookie year after almost a year of training)I did two sprint triathlons, two 62.5 mile bike rides (not to mention the countless training rides), swam over 68 miles in the pool (and still suck in the open water) and dropped over two minutes per mile in my racewalk pace.

My goals for this year are 4 sprint triathlons (maybe the last turning into an oly) at least one century ride, and maybe racewalk a marathon.

I am working on dropping my weight down to 150 (from 175 post surgery) and as of today I have 8 pounds to go.

I am looking very forward to being as helpful and encouraging to others as people where to me when I started.

Edited by hikergerb 2006-12-24 3:33 PM

2006-12-20 9:41 PM
in reply to: #629829

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: hikergerb's Group - Open

Hey Steve - I'm already on a group but wanted to say WAY to GO dude! Great story and lots of inspiration! You are a great motivator and offer lots of support so those who you take under your wing will soar.

Mooz/Sarah

2006-12-21 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI
Subject: RE: hikergerb's Group - OPEN
Hi Steve
My name is Ken. I am 40 years old and 2007 will be my secound year of tris.
2 sprints in 2006, my goal for this year is 2 or three sprints and a half IM.
Also will probably do a half mary in the spring and a few 5ks throughout the summer.
Winter here in Michigan is playing havock with my trainging so some acountablity would be good.

Peace
Ken
2006-12-22 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN

Hey Ken!  Welcome abaord!

I can relate to winter playing havoc on a training schedule.  I am not one for riding the bike outside much below 45-50 degrees or at night (which I have had both since about mid Oct.) And then when the snow blows through life gets hard enough without wearing myself down training.

I don't know what you do for a plan.  Fly by the seat of your pants, use a BT or other plan, write your own?  Please feel free to share. 

I personally write my own because of the long hours I work and the difficulty I have getting to a pool for lap swimming or the indoor track for running.  I am currently working on putting my "winter" schedule together.  I'll post a copy when I have it done.

I too am up for the accountability!

Feel free to PM or post anytime.  I'' check regularly and will PM you on your logs.  Make sure you log your workouts.  Have a great day!

2006-12-22 9:41 AM

User image

Northern Virginia

Steve -

My name is Tad, I'm 38 and brand new to tris.  Married with 2 kids: Georgie (4 years old) and my daughter Alden (2 years old). I started my training back in October (running for endurance) and start swimming and biking in January.  My current plan is to  follow a bastardized version of the 13-week sprint training plan that will start in earnest in april for a sprint in August. My current plan is three tris this year (2 minis and a sprint). Looking forward to gleaning some pointers from you over the next few months.  I'll attach my training plan to this post.

Cheers,

Tad

Edited by tadyergey 2006-12-22 9:45 AM

Attachments
----------------
Tad.xls (58KB - 56 downloads)
2006-12-22 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Hey Tad!  Glad to have you on board!  I'll look over the training plan tomorrow morning (with a cup of GOOD coffee in hand ).  Please feel to post or ask questions either in this forum or PM me.  We are going to have a good year!

2006-12-22 12:42 PM

Veteran
Snellville

Hi Steve,

My name is Steve Rohrer, and I want to join your group.  I am a 46 year old guy living in the Atlanta area.  2006 was my first year doing tri's.  I finished three sprints, each was a little bit longer than the previous, and they are documented in my race reports.  I was told by my doctor in late 2005 to get in shape or die early (just kidding).  I was fat, sedentary and had a pack a day smoking habit.  I joined the gym and started doing cardio which led to running which led to spin classes which led to swimming which led to wtf, i might as well do a triathlon.  I started documenting my workouts here in May of 2006.

I am not fast by any definition but given my history Ive been pleased with my progress.    I have lost about 50 pounds down to about 210 from 260 (before holiday eating set in).  I have managed to quit the smoking for anout 10 months now.  I want to lose another 25-30 pounds in the coming year.   I was working up to doing a half marathon in February but a case of Plantar Faciatas has caused me to cut back on my running until it heals.. I generally get in 6-8 hours of some type of cardio activity weekly.  Due to family committments I try to get most of my training in in the morning before work.

Race goals include some more sprints this year, at least one OLY and maybe a HIM in the fall if training progresses ok.  I also plan to run the Atlanta ING Half Marathon in March if my foot cooperates.

I am married  for 18 years with 4 children, ages 17, 14, 10 and 7. 

Looking forward to seeing you online.

2006-12-22 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Hey Steve!  I should be able to remember that name!  Welcome on board!  Congratulations on making a move to the healthy side!  That is ablsolutely awesome in my book.  I'll look at your logs and race reports and we'll get the online thing going.  Feel free to PM or post here anytime!
2006-12-23 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
Steve, Hopefully I've made the cut to get in this group. I'm Chris, I'm 6'2" 241 pds. I swam competitively from age 5 to age 18. I switched to triathlons and did many sprint's and oly's in the late 80's to 1991. Been a complete couch slug since then. I'm turning 40 in July and I need to get my big a## back in shape. I started out well in Sept through early Nov. but then got sick and then had some family medical issues and I had to fly back East for a few weeks. Now I'm back in the great Northwest (with power) and I'm set to get back in the saddle. I'm planning on several sprints this summer and I'm the swim leg of a HIM team in August.
My achilles heel is the run!!! Never been real good at running and of course don't work at it enough in the past. Diet has been an issue as well. Working on that!!
I have a great and supportive wife and two great girls 5yrs and 15 months.
I'm looking forward to getting some support and direction and will be supportive to the other memebers in this group. Thanks for having me. Chris
2006-12-23 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN

Chris you have certianly made the cut!  Your not alone on the run issue (I racewalk and a 11 min/mile pace would look like a dream come true).  I'm also working on the weight issue as well as several of the other guys!  Please feel free to PM any of us or post on this thread.

Do you have a training plan of some sorts your using?  If so could you please post it.  I'm a big beleiver in having those goals out in front to reach for!

Welcome aboard!

Steve

2006-12-24 2:32 PM

Hello gents...are you accepting any female blood into this group? I'm looking for some guidance and some accountability...and perhaps even the occasional kick in the rear so to speak. I tend to be like a firecracker...off with gung ho enthusiasm and dedication and unfortunately fade fast. Last year was my first attempt at tri's...I've always been on the sidelines enjoying sports...never a participant. Anyhow I completed a super sprint last July and will complete a sprint this summer...I stumbled across this mentoring program and thought it might be just the thing to keep me focused...alright if I join you all? Lisa

2006-12-24 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Lisa welcome aboard!  This is an equal opportunity group and we would certianly welcome female blood in it .  I'd recomend looking at putting a training program together if you haven't already and share it witht he group either through this thread or on your blog.  Accountability is what this is all about!  I'm excited to get thing rolling!  I'm excited for the celebrating we'll all do as we finish these races!
2006-12-27 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI
Subject: RE: hikergerb's Group - Full
Anyone up for a Januray chanlenge and/or gaol type thing.
Januray is a terible time to train up here in Mi so I need the motavation.
Min in the pool??
time on the trainer??
Miles running??

Any great ideas?

Peace
Ken ><>
2006-12-27 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN

Great idea Ken!

Anyone interested but together your Jan. goals.  I will set goals for biking (miles on the trainer), swimming (distance in the pool), running (mileage) and strength (minutes doing core exercises).  I have been sicker than a dog today with a nasty cough and the aches.  I'm feeling better and will go to work tomorrow but I may not workout again until Sat.

2006-12-27 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI
Ok
Heres mine

January Goals
- swim 12000 yds
- ride 175 miles
- run 15 miles + 75 min stairs

2006-12-28 4:40 AM

My January goals 1. Workout 4 days per week at least 1 hour per session
2. Eat a more healthy diet by increasing my fruits and vegies and limiting fats and sugars....ideally this will result in a 4-5 lb weight loss for the month.

Unfortunately I feel like I am starting at ground zero as my diet and exercise routine of late has been pretty much non existent...frustrating that once again I have let myself get to this weight and level of inactivity....I do however know what it takes to change these old ineffective habits and it starts with setting some goals! Lisa

2006-12-28 4:43 AM

PS Hope you're feeling better today Steve! Lisa
2006-12-28 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN

Hey Lisa don't get too down.  After my knee replacements I had to begin by learning to walk.  It was a huge success to walk to the end of the block and back.  The important part is that we start were we are at and go forward from there.

I rode all summer with a group of guys that could kick my butt anytime they wanted.  I just maintianed my pace and sometimes they would ride off a little having fun but most of the time we all stuck together.

This fall I went out on a ride with one of the guys on my now new bike.  I had been training hard on the trainer and he had been sick.  I could have completely blown him away.  I backed off a bit, took longer pulls (particularly into the wind) and rode on with the satifaction that my hard work was starting to pay off.

This is a time where it is all about you.  Where you are and where you came from.

I am feeling a little better today (at least I am at work) but it will be a long day.

2006-12-28 5:44 PM
in reply to: #634939

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
Steve, I too just over the nasal crud!!! I'm getting back into the swing after about 1 1/2 months off due to family illness. Everyone's great now and I'm itching to get back in the groove. As far as goals do I want to do something 6 days a week. I have a trainer, can run/walk and have an Ergometer for the really nasty days. I looking to do weights 2 days a week, run/walk 3 days and bike 3 days through March. I will get in some pool time as well. I really need to concentrate on the diet, as in eating healthy. Soda and sweets are my downfall!!! I'll keep plugging away at it!!
Lisa I feel your pain literally when it comes to running. I'm just taking it slow and one day at a time!!! Keep at it. Chris
2006-12-29 9:12 AM

Veteran
Snellville

I need a January challenge to get started in the new year.  Here are my planned totals for January in hours/min:

Swim: - 4h
Bike: - 14h
Run: - 15h

Details are here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-monthly.asp?memberid=39031&month=2&year=2007

Im still wary about how my foot injury is going to impact my running and will have to take it day by day.  I plan to sub in elliptical training or biking to make up the time if my foot does not cooperate. 

2006-12-30 4:49 PM

Well gents I just returned from the pool having swim, swam, swum a few laps...it actually felt ok though any stamina I had is completely lost...that can be built back up. I feel like I'm back on track and it feels good to be out of the bingeing/slugo mode.

Reminder as we head into the New Year: Willpower is like a muscle...you have to use it for it to be any good. (something like that)...also Just do it....anyone else have a favorite expression that keeps them going?

Happy New Year!!! Lisa

2006-12-30 5:04 PM

Veteran
Snellville

Good for you Lisa!!!

Remember to log your workout.  In a few short months looking at your progress in your logs will be great motivation.

2006-12-30 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN

NICE JOB LISA!

Way to get in the pool and get some laps in.  I haven't check you log yet (I'll go there next) but you should log your workouts down.  I love going back and looking at where I am today compared to a year ago.  The difference is night and day!

2006-12-30 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Hamilton,MI
What a day
Found out one of the local bike shops still had an 05 Specialized Transition elite.
Now I have a new bike.

(05TransitionElite!.gif)

Attachments
----------------
05TransitionElite!.gif (33KB - 47 downloads)
2006-12-30 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Nice ride and it's blue!  I like it.  There is this crazy theroy at BT that red bikes are faster but I think we are about to prove that wrong!  I'll post my Jan. goals tomorrow - promise!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hikergerb's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 7