Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-03-06 7:34 PM
in reply to: #629940

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: JCJSC00's Group - FULL
This advice is from what I have read and also been told by other triathletes. It takes 10 days for you to experience the full benefit of a given workout. So that means anything you do less than 10 days before your event should be for maintenance, or "feel". By "feel", I mean short burst of high intensity so you can feel what that is like before the race. You don't want to take the week before off because you can feel sluggish or tired during the event. If your event is on Saturday, make Thursday a rest day. If it is on a Sunday, Friday should be your rest day. If you can do a mini-brick the day before the event at the race site, go for it. Keep the intensity light except for a few less than 5 minute bursts of speed. Nothing new on race day. Eat the breakfast that sits well before your workouts. Wear your tried and true shorts that never chafe and are broken in. Fill your water bottle with your favorite sports drink. Do NOT try the no sock thing today (my hubby learned this one the hard way). Number one thing: HAVE FUN!!!! This is why you torture yourself training. So you can ENJOY the race. Since this is your first, it will automatically be a PB! And if you don't enjoy it, you'll ditch your training for something more fun. I also recommend a number belt, especially if you will be doing tris later. I don't like safety pins. Let's see, I think that's it from me. I'm proud of you for sticking with it through so much adversity already this year. You done good. Keep up the good work and savor that first Du. You're much braver than me. All that running makes me shudder

Pam

2007-03-07 2:28 PM

User image

Hello everyone,
Mi first short-distance triathlon is this Sunday! I am very excited. A group of seasoned triathletes offered to show us (the beginners) some advice on transitions, etc. We met past Sunday at 6:30 a.m.! First we did a short thing as Warm Up: 250M swimming, 8 Km bike and 2 Km jogging. They were with me all the time. We were chatting and everything was at a very slow pace. Then we did the real distances (750, 20, 5). They did it as a real training, so I only saw them in the pool and then at the end line! When I was proudly going 37 Km/Hour on my bike, one of them passed me at 50+!!!

They have trisuites, real competition bikes with biking shoes, etc... I had to dry myself, wear socks, then shoes, my bike weighs like a TON compared to them, etc... But it was great! I even swam faster than one of them! (I think due to Pam´s advice!) Then I managed to stick with her for the bike and running parts.

I have read your advice on the previous messages. Any further advice for a first-timer?

Thanks for your advice (specially Pam´s advice on swimming!) and your inspiration! Watching your training logs has kept me motivated!

Helmuth
2007-03-08 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis metro east , clinton co Il
Ok did my first brick today.. question.. is there something I can do to ease the trasition pain of bike to run.. legs were stiff and sore from riding.. it took awhile to losen up. I felt great during the run.. my biking on the road is something, it sure aint the trainer..lol
2007-03-08 2:26 PM

User image

Regular
great job on the training Helmuth and good luck on sunday
2007-03-08 2:54 PM
in reply to: #716367

User image

Spring, TX
I did my first brick last Saturday and experienced tight legs like you. The advice I received was as follows:

1. Increase your bike cadence to around 90-95 rpm. This will help to loosen up the legs as well as imitate a standard run cadence.

2. While cycling, make sure that you are not "toe-ing" when you pedal. Use your foot/legs to pedal and not your toes. This will help the calf muscles not to tighten.

Even with all this knowledge, experienced triathletes tell me that it takes approximately 1/2 - 1 mile for the tightness to subside. Keep practicing the bricks so you know how long it takes your body to recover. It's all a mental game.

Cheri
2007-03-08 4:06 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Wow. We're all in the same boat. My first tri of the season is March 17. Basic pointers for a first tri: don't go too hard on the swim, helmut on and fastened in T1, stay in your drops or your aerobars on the bike, helmut off, number on in the front in T2, run like crazy! Another reason for the brick leg syndrome is that you feel so much slower running than biking. I have been fooled by this and tried to run insane paces off the bike that I just couldn't sustain. Listen to your breathing and watch your HR. These are better indicators of what you are doing instead of feel on the run. Good luck everyone! I know you're gonna do great and have lots of fun!

Pam

2007-03-08 5:29 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

I know what Pam means about the speed difference and starting off quickly. One thing that helps me in that transition is to take short quick strides and not be too concerned about my speed. i.e. have my run cadence at like 93-96 (whereas my normal is right around 90). This helps get me into it and surprisingly I am usually moving along at a pretty good pace. As things move on, I loosen up and my stride lenght stretches out and my stride rate gets back down to 90.

Another thing I have heard is spin at a higher cadence the last mile or so ( for me normal is 90-96 so bump it up over 100) and just stretch out the calves and glutes a little bit in some areas where you can coast)

Edited by jcjsc00 2007-03-08 5:31 PM
2007-03-09 6:28 PM

User image

Spring, TX
Okay....I can't believe how far I have progressed since starting some active training. When I started a month ago I couldn't run more than 5-10 minutes in a row without needing to walk. Last Wednesday I actually ran for 40 minutes and made it 3 miles. Now I am feeling more confident about completing my first tri in May.

Tomorrow, we are doing our second easy brick workout after a 75 minute bike ride. After adjusting my running stride I am not as nervous this week. I have also just added a cadence monitor to my bike. It should help me keep up the cadence prior to the transition.
2007-03-11 8:36 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Great job on the run!!! That is such and achievement and a stepping stone for things to come.  Hope the brick went well.
2007-03-12 7:09 AM

User image

I finally completed my first triathlon yesterday!

It was a very nice experience. I was so proud of myself!

In the swimming part (750 m), it took me 15 minutes. I could have been faster, but I was behind a young swimmer and could not find the opportunity to swim at his side. Felt great!

On the bike, many many people were faster than me. I think I lost a lot of time here. I felt quite tired at the end, and this affected my running. I have to work on my cicling.

The transition into running was hard (as expected). My legs did not want to move at the pace I am used to for about 1.5 Km! I think I pushed it too hard (for my weak legs) at the end of the bike part. But I established a pace based on my heart rate (kept it around 160) and it felt quite well.

After the triathlon, I was VERY tired, and I could not rest: I had to be walking and standing with my children all day.

But really, a NICE experience! I am looking forward to other triathlons!
2007-03-12 1:05 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Congratulations! Well done, triathlete! It's funny how kids don't understand the meaning of "tired". Glad the race was a good experience.

Pam

2007-03-12 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
great job on the tri helmuth... i bet you cant wait until your next one.. once again congrats!!!
2007-03-12 5:03 PM

User image

Spring, TX
Congrats!! You are now officially a triathlete. Are you hooked? I am really enjoying the training leading up to my first race in May.

Cheri
2007-03-12 5:45 PM

User image

Thank you all very much for your nice messages. Particularly to you Pam. The swimming part was a lot more relaxed and efficient after following your advice on the training sessions.

YES! I am hooked! I am already looking forward to the next one! My total time was 1hour and 22 minutes (according to my heart rate monitor). I was almost the last one, but never mind. There were many people younger than me, with many more years of training,... The main thing is that I had a lot of fun!

2007-03-13 11:20 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Way to go with the race!! I remember being way tired for a couple of days after my first one.  As you train more, build a bigger base, go longer, some of that changes.  But all in all, it is a good tired. 

Once, fantastic job.  - When you are recovered, it sounds like more time on the bike is in order

2007-03-15 12:03 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend (I think it is only Pam) and to everyone else have a great training weekend and don't eat too much stuff that isn't supposed to be green.

2007-03-15 11:51 PM

User image

Dear mentors and colleagues,

Some word of wisdom on how to improve my cycling? I started riding my bicicle like 4 months ago. The only thing I do is go to a flat road and cicle for 40 or 50 minutes 2 times a week. But I do not do any intervals or anything like that.

The bike does not probably help much either. It is rather heavy (iron frame), does not have aero handlebars and the pedals are "cage", but I cannot afford anything more expensive right now.

Thanks.
2007-03-16 7:52 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Helmuth,

That bike will make you STRONG!!! There is a member of this site called The Bear and as he says, "Ride lots". When you are first starting, miles are miles. Obviously, if you know your races will have hills, ride hillier training rides. I'm sure Scott has some good advice when it comes to increasing bike endurance (since he's preparing to run a marathon after 112 miles on the bike). Do the best with the equipment you've got. I did my first tri on a mountain bike complete with Roc Shox! I always got passed, but when I did get a road bike, I did a lot of passing because of all the strength I'd built on that heavy machine.

Please continue sending all the good luck vibes. I'm getting ready to head to my race today (it is a 4 hour drive). Trying to keep my nerves in check. After the race, I'll get to indulge in some corned beef and cabbage (and maybe a little green beer!). Have a great weekend and keep up all the good training!

Pam
2007-03-17 1:19 PM

User image

Thanks for the advice Pam.
And very good luck with your triathlon! What distance is it?
Helmuth
2007-03-17 9:08 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Aerobars would help, but you can race well without them.  I did a sprint last year on a borrowed road bike and realized how much I would have liked to have them.  Pam is right, the first answer is ride lots on what you have, she started on a mountain bike, I started on a cross bike (touring frame with mountain components). 

You have put a lot of time into your swim and that is fantastic.  If the time is available, I would recommend trying to ride at least 3 time a week, 2 rides of about 45 minutes to an hour and one ride that starts at 90 minutes, then for 3 weeks, lengthen the long ride by about 15 minutes.  The 4th week, take it back to 2 hours and then do the same again.  This "long" ride isn't about racing or anything else, just increasing time in the saddle.  This should be a comfortable "zone 2 effort or about 75% of maximum HR.

On the shorter rides, you could incorporate intervals, but I would just use those as more saddle time for the first month.  As you feel it, you could pick up the pace, or do 15 minute warmup, 15 minute solid pace then 15 minute cool down.

I have heard it said, you build endurance on the bike - it is much easier on the body then running.  two seasons ago, I took that to heart, I did an oly and I think my long run was 7.5 miles.   I did run 3 to 4 times a week, but usually 5-9k .  I built my endurance on the bike and other than a century early in the year, most of my rides were a 2 hr max (what I could fit in during afternoon nap times)

So, keep up the swimming, add more time in the saddle - technique and drills can come later, and maintain your run.  Your times will drop.   

2007-03-18 12:27 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Hope everyone's weekend is going well. I did my tri and we made it back home safely last night around 8:30. The details are in my race report, but the short version is 5th overall female, 1st non-elite female to cross the finish, and first in my age group. I can't believe it. I haven't even started my intense build workouts yet. This was all on base training, a lot of low heart rate, endurance workouts. I did a 22:14 for the 5K, a huge personal best. Thanks for all the inspires and good luck vibes. They definitley helped. This was a short sprint, Helmuth. A 500 meter pool swim, 12 mile bike and 5K run. All flat as a pancake. My husband finished 10th out of 32 in his very competitive age group. My friend Justine got second in our age group and my friend Reuben won the men's novice division. We had lunch with De Cracker from this site. We had a great time. It was an awesome race and Beaufort is a beautiful place. Our little group from the Upstate had a great showing. Train consistent and smart and good things will happen!

Pam

2007-03-20 12:08 AM

User image

Thanks for the good advice, Scott. I will lengthen my time on the bike on Sundays.

Regarding Pam's competition, CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a bunch of achievements! And your times are amazing! Well done!

Helmuth
2007-03-21 6:28 AM

User image

Spring, TX
Okay...my training partners have convinced me to do a prep race prior to my originally intended first triathlon in May. I have just signed up for a duathlon on 4/15. Any advice on preparing for or running a duathlon?

Cheri
2007-03-22 9:01 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Cheri,

I've never done a du before. Brian's getting ready for one this weekend. If it's anything at all like a tri, I would say don't go out too fast on the first run. It's like not going out too fast on the swim. You don't want to burn up all your fuel before the race really gets going. Once again, I'm not an experienced du-athlete but I would think the goal would be to do the last run faster than the first. Maybe your training partners can share their experiences with you. Good luck and have fun. Also you could do reverse bricks instead of just running after biking. Just a thought.

Pam
2007-03-24 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
well I finished my first du today. It went geat. I did better than I thought I would. My race report is up. sorry if its hard to read. It's my first. I came in 38th overall ant 5th in my age group (30-35). I was pleased to find this out.
I think the ride would have been fastr if not for the huge hill. otherwise it was great. I can't wait to do it again. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Update as of 3/25 the final stats came out I was 27th overall and 4th in age group.

Edited by clincomedic 2007-03-25 10:54 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JCJSC00's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6