BT Development Mentor Program Archives » marymosc13's group THE V.A.M.P.S., FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2006-12-21 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: marymosc13's group THE V.A.M.P.S., FULL

I want to start by saying I'm so happy that BT started this mentoring program! I've benefitted from the wonderful people who populate this site, experts and newbies alike and I'm thrilled to be able to give back to the community that gave me such amazing support.

NAME: marymosc13/ Mary

STORY: Why do I triathlon? I'm supposed to write a short paragraph to answer that question - that may be tough. If you asked me that question in July of 2005, I would have said, "because my sister asked me to" - and that whole story takes pages and pages to tell. Today, now that I've completed one, I'd say I did it for myself. I was always active, but soon learned that there's a HUGE difference between working out and TRAINING! Training is more fun - it lends a purpose to what you're doing.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm 36 and married to a wonderfully supportive husband. We have a five year old daughter, a dog and a cat. I work in Public Relations and as a freelance writer for Broadcast TV News in the New York/Metro area.
CURRENT TRAINING: Swimming is my weakest link, so I'm focusing on that as much as possible during the winter. I'm beginning to enjoy running more and more and I basically follow the training programs on this site and just listen to my body. I'm into a holistic lifestyle, eating organic whenever possible and getting regular chiropractic adjustments. I believe the body is a miraculous wonder that is capable of many things we may not think are possible - finishing my first triathlon proved that to me.
LAST YEAR'S RACES: 
Long Branch Duathlon, August 2006
Danskin Sprint Triathlon, September 2006
5K Stampede through Clifton, November 2006

2007 RACES: 
More Half marathon March 25, 2007.
NJ State Sprint Triathlon in July.
Danskin Sprint Triathlon in September.
WEIGHTLOSS:
I lost 7 pounds during my training for Danskin, but that wasn't my goal. I've lost inches more recently and no longer have a "muffin top" when I wear those low rise jeans (yay!). I'm really just concerned about overall fitness and toning. The number on the scale matters little to me.

Edited by marymosc13 2007-01-13 6:16 PM

2006-12-25 8:54 PM
in reply to: #630120

Regular
Lone Star State
Subject: RE: marymosc13's group, OPEN
Hey Mary!

My name is Sarah and I am very excited to join your mentoring group.
NAME: Sarah
Story: I started running when I was in Germany with my husband (Army). I ran with other military wives to stay in shape. I have since run several marathons and over a dozen half marathons. My most recent was the Las Vegas Half Marathon a couple weeks ago. I have always wanted to try a duathalon or even a triathalon, but I have never gotten up the courage. It is my NY's resolution and our town is hosting a mini-tri every three months. There are no excuses for me not to pursuit this goal!
Current training: I run a lot and I love it. I have never been on a biking or swimming training program, so that will be new to me.
Future races: RunBiTri Feb 25th Allen or March 25 Keller
Weight loss: I have no specific goals. All my clothes still fit but I have gained a few pounds over the years. Any loss would be a bonus!

Thanks,
Sarah
2006-12-26 9:27 AM

User image

Regular
Pennsylvania
Hi Mary! My name is Chrystal/QuietGirl04

Story: I am a 26 yr. old active duty soldier stationed in WV. I have been doing push-ups, sit-ups, and two mile runs for way too long! I threw Javelin in college but never trained for any endurance type races.

Family Status: I am not married (sadly) lol and have no children!

Current Training: I too, am not a strong swimmer but have recently joined my local YMCA to assist in this area. I run pretty well but have only been biking on trails. I am NOT even remotly close to being ready for my first tri but am working on it!! LOL!

Race: I am going to enter the Sprint Tri in Wheeling, WV. It is going off the beginning of July.

Weight Loss would be great but just want to accomplish the goal of finishing my first Tri.

I do hope that you will be my mentor. Thanks and have a great day!!
2006-12-26 9:56 AM

User image

Regular

Hello Mary!

I too would like to join your group!

Story: My name is Becky and I've wanted to do a triathlon for a few years now, but  I just never actually did anything about it. I'm not exactly sure why I want to do a tri though. I have always thought it would be a fun sport to participate in. I was a competitive swimmer in high school, but open water scares me to death!

Family Status: I'm 26 years old and married with a 10 month old daughter. We live in Utah. I work for a civil engineering firm as an AP Clerk and I'm in charge of Project Accounting. 

Current Training:  I exercise in the mornings from 5:30 to 6:00 right now, but I could probably change that to 5:00 to 7:00 if needed.  I am a really slow runner and probably need to work on running the most.  I usually do spinning, strength training or run/walking alternating days. Nothing really set.

2007 Races: Not completely sure yet.  I'd like to do a Sprint Tri around June, and an Olympic in August or September.

Goals: I'd really just like to finish a couple Triathlons, and hopefully I'll  love it so much I won't want to quit!! I'd like to start healthy habits so I can be one of those 80 year old people who are out running in the mornings!!  I'd also like to get to know other people with similar interests, and have FUN!

Thanks!!

Edited by Nimefurahi 2006-12-26 2:57 PM
2006-12-26 5:37 PM
in reply to: #632971

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Brachiator - 2006-12-25 9:54 PM Hey Mary! My name is Sarah and I am very excited to join your mentoring group. NAME: Sarah Story: I started running when I was in Germany with my husband (Army). I ran with other military wives to stay in shape. I have since run several marathons and over a dozen half marathons. My most recent was the Las Vegas Half Marathon a couple weeks ago. I have always wanted to try a duathalon or even a triathalon, but I have never gotten up the courage. It is my NY's resolution and our town is hosting a mini-tri every three months. There are no excuses for me not to pursuit this goal! Current training: I run a lot and I love it. I have never been on a biking or swimming training program, so that will be new to me. Future races: RunBiTri Feb 25th Allen or March 25 Keller Weight loss: I have no specific goals. All my clothes still fit but I have gained a few pounds over the years. Any loss would be a bonus! Thanks, Sarah

welcome Sarah! (that's one of my favorite names, by the way) so glad to have you in the group. - maybe your love of running will rub off on me!

i think you'll love the sport of triathlon, i'll add you to my training log today and start monitoring your progress and training.

thanks for joining the group!

2006-12-26 5:41 PM
in reply to: #633144

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Nimefurahi - 2006-12-26 10:56 AM

Hello Mary!

I too would like to join your group!

Story: My name is Becky and I've wanted to do a triathlon for a few years now, but  I just never actually did anything about it. I'm not exactly sure why I want to do a tri though. I have always thought it would be a fun sport to participate in. I was a competitive swimmer in high school, but open water scares me to death!

Family Status: I'm 26 years old and married with a 10 month old daughter. We live in Utah. I work for a civil engineering firm as an AP Clerk and I'm in charge of Project Accounting. 

Current Training:  I exercise in the mornings from 5:30 to 6:00 right now, but I could probably change that to 5:00 to 7:00 if needed.  I am a really slow runner and probably need to work on running the most.  I usually do spinning, strength training or run/walking alternating days. Nothing really set.

2007 Races: Not completely sure yet.  I'd like to do a Sprint Tri around June, and an Olympic in August or September.

Goals: I'd really just like to finish a couple Triathlons, and hopefully I'll  love it so much I won't want to quit!! I'd like to start healthy habits so I can be one of those 80 year old people who are out running in the mornings!!  I'd also like to get to know other people with similar interests, and have FUN!

Thanks!!

Becky, welcome! don't worry - you are not alone in the "open water scares me" crowd. its something i really need to work on before my july sprint tri.

take a look at the training program suggestions that are on this site. they work! you can pick one that focuses on your weakness so that its up to par when race day arrives.

i'm adding you to my training log so i can track your training... thanks for signing up!

2006-12-26 5:44 PM
in reply to: #633113

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

QuietGirl04 - 2006-12-26 10:27 AM Hi Mary! My name is Chrystal/QuietGirl04 Story: I am a 26 yr. old active duty soldier stationed in WV. I have been doing push-ups, sit-ups, and two mile runs for way too long! I threw Javelin in college but never trained for any endurance type races. Family Status: I am not married (sadly) lol and have no children! Current Training: I too, am not a strong swimmer but have recently joined my local YMCA to assist in this area. I run pretty well but have only been biking on trails. I am NOT even remotly close to being ready for my first tri but am working on it!! LOL! Race: I am going to enter the Sprint Tri in Wheeling, WV. It is going off the beginning of July. Weight Loss would be great but just want to accomplish the goal of finishing my first Tri. I do hope that you will be my mentor. Thanks and have a great day!!

dear Chrystal, of course i'll mentor you. looks like you are ready to take the plunge into triathlons! i can't do a push-up, so you're ahead of me there. all it takes is the determination to do it and you'll be a success. you have plenty of time to train - looks like we'll both be racing in july! good that you've joined the Y - are you taking classes? i had a swim coach show me a few things and have read everything possible on this site written about swimming techniques. just keep at it... welcome to the group!

2006-12-26 9:59 PM

Veteran
NoVa

.  ...  I've lost inches more recently and no longer have a "muffin top" when I wear those low rise jeans (yay!)   ...

Hehe...muffin top.   Can't believe I've never heard it called that.  Now, back to my own group.

2006-12-26 11:51 PM

Hi Mary,

I would love to join in your group too, please.

NAME: Michele

STORY: I have always admired the people who do triathlon. I also know I can do one, too. I just need to be patient and lay the groundwork first. I am overweight by about 15 kg, but I have been working on losing that over the last few months and it is going very well. I have been walking several times a week and I am ready to take it to the next level. There is a tri club that meets right near me, but I want to have some training under my belt before I go there (and no bulge over my belt, either, LOL) There is an olympic distance tri I would like to compete in (or just finish) in November. That is my ultimate goal this year. The tri club runs sprints every month. I will join in May (I will be travelling in April) As I am in Australia, our seasons are 6 moths different to yours, and it is almost the middle of summer here. I am up early to do my walking and swimming.

FAMILY STATUS: I am 34, married, and have 4 kids aged 10, 9, 7 and 5. My 5yo starts school in 6 weeks time and I will have time during the days then for my cycling as well. I run my own business from home and my hours are flexible, so long as I make all my work commitments, all is well. I have scheduled the work to take up only 20 hours a week, leaving me time to train.

CURRENT TRAINING: I walk a cpuple of times a week. I find it really hard to just walk with no goal in mind. I am going to follow one of the training plans on this website, as it provides a good structure for me. I am also watching what I eat and I would like to lose about 15-18 more kilograms. I would also like to be much more toned.

Let the journey begin!
2006-12-27 7:59 AM
in reply to: #633584

User image

Regular
Pennsylvania
Thanks! I think this will be a fun experience!
2006-12-27 7:44 PM
in reply to: #633703

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Michelet - 2006-12-27 12:51 AM Hi Mary, I would love to join in your group too, please. NAME: Michele STORY: I have always admired the people who do triathlon. I also know I can do one, too. I just need to be patient and lay the groundwork first. I am overweight by about 15 kg, but I have been working on losing that over the last few months and it is going very well. I have been walking several times a week and I am ready to take it to the next level. There is a tri club that meets right near me, but I want to have some training under my belt before I go there (and no bulge over my belt, either, LOL) There is an olympic distance tri I would like to compete in (or just finish) in November. That is my ultimate goal this year. The tri club runs sprints every month. I will join in May (I will be travelling in April) As I am in Australia, our seasons are 6 moths different to yours, and it is almost the middle of summer here. I am up early to do my walking and swimming. FAMILY STATUS: I am 34, married, and have 4 kids aged 10, 9, 7 and 5. My 5yo starts school in 6 weeks time and I will have time during the days then for my cycling as well. I run my own business from home and my hours are flexible, so long as I make all my work commitments, all is well. I have scheduled the work to take up only 20 hours a week, leaving me time to train. CURRENT TRAINING: I walk a cpuple of times a week. I find it really hard to just walk with no goal in mind. I am going to follow one of the training plans on this website, as it provides a good structure for me. I am also watching what I eat and I would like to lose about 15-18 more kilograms. I would also like to be much more toned. Let the journey begin!

Dear Michele, welcome to the group... having those hours during the day will help you so much, take advantage of that whenever you can... I, for one, miss my day workouts a bit. I think you are our first international member - judging by the use of kgs in your message... neat! Good things to come... stay tuned and start logging your training because I'm adding you to my log so I can keep track!

2006-12-27 7:45 PM
in reply to: #633671

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Big - 2006-12-26 10:59 PM

.  ...  I've lost inches more recently and no longer have a "muffin top" when I wear those low rise jeans (yay!)   ...

Hehe...muffin top.   Can't believe I've never heard it called that.  Now, back to my own group.

gotta give props to maxpixie - she intro'd me to that phrase and i use it all the time now... and feel free to visit our group anytime!

2006-12-28 9:18 AM
in reply to: #633582

User image

Regular

Morning!

I just have a quick question...Mary, did you start your training for tri's with one of the training plans on this site? If so, which one? I thought I would start with "Michael Pates Total Sprint" but it looked a bit too easy.  I would actually have to decrease how much I am working out to stick to it, so I think I will just try The Original Sprint Program. I was just curious how you started out and how you liked the program you started with.

Thanks,

Becky

2006-12-28 11:10 AM
in reply to: #635010

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Nimefurahi - 2006-12-28 10:18 AM

Morning!

I just have a quick question...Mary, did you start your training for tri's with one of the training plans on this site? If so, which one? I thought I would start with "Michael Pates Total Sprint" but it looked a bit too easy.  I would actually have to decrease how much I am working out to stick to it, so I think I will just try The Original Sprint Program. I was just curious how you started out and how you liked the program you started with.

Thanks,

Becky

there's a short and long answer to that one. first, if you have to decrease your workouts to follow a program i would definitely agree that its not the plan for you.

when i started training for danskin, i was under the impression that i was in good shape. i consistently "worked out" two hours a day, three times a week in a step aerobics class followed by a strength training class.

then i tried to run three miles and was SHOCKED to see how un-ready i was. swimming of course, i've already admitted to being a novice... and biking was also new to me.

i have to be honest, that i didn't really follow a program to the letter. i used the original sprint as a guide, though, and i found it to be very balanced. you will finish the race if you keep up with that training guide. its very important to fit "brick" workouts (two sports back to back) within your training as the race approaches. bike to run bricks help with that rubber leg feeling you get after riding a while and then trying to run. i, for one, did NOT do enough of these and had a very difficult transition into the run from the bike. i won't make that mistake again this year.

i have a half marathon to train for first, so my training is run focused from now until march 25th. then i'll do the 16 week swim focused sprint from this site.

2006-12-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: #635225

User image

Regular
Thank you! That helps a lot!! I'll get going then!
2006-12-28 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: marymosc13's group, ONE SPOT LEFT!
we have room for one more person in our group... join us and make 2007 the year you become a triathlete!

2006-12-28 12:25 PM

Hello there! My name is Jenny and I am 28. Six years ago I lost 81 pounds through speed walking. At one point I completed a 10k in 1.05 just speed walking. I am a supervisor for a mental health center in Colorado and have found that I give less and less attention to my fitness goals. I have regained about 35 pounds. It was suggested that I try training for a tri- to see if I could improve my fitness and weight. My goal is to complete a triathlon in June and loose this weight I am carrying. I am also hoping I will make news friends!
2006-12-28 12:34 PM
in reply to: #635394

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: marymosc13's group, FULL

sut2burns - 2006-12-28 1:25 PM Hello there! My name is Jenny and I am 28. Six years ago I lost 81 pounds through speed walking. At one point I completed a 10k in 1.05 just speed walking. I am a supervisor for a mental health center in Colorado and have found that I give less and less attention to my fitness goals. I have regained about 35 pounds. It was suggested that I try training for a tri- to see if I could improve my fitness and weight. My goal is to complete a triathlon in June and loose this weight I am carrying. I am also hoping I will make news friends!

Welcome Jenny! you'll complete our group of five! thanks for joining. i'd say you're definitely a speedy walker - very impressive time there for that 10K!

Triathlon training will most certainly address the issue of your giving less attention to your own fitness goals. Its impossible to train properly without putting yourself first, so know that. Congratulations on losing the first 81 - you've done it once, you can do it again and now you only have 35 this time...

in the time i've spent on BT i'm happy to say that i have several (albeit, virtual) friends on this site. you bond because of what you go through on race day and during training... chances are there are BT members in your own area - browse the forums or start a new thread to check for sure.

i'm adding you to my log so i can track your training, so make sure you log everything you do...

and i encourage you all to add the other members to your own logs so that we can all cheer each other on during training... its a great journey and even better if shared!

2006-12-28 5:52 PM

Regular
Lone Star State
I am greatful to the question about training programs. There are a lot of seasoned tri vets where I work and they all have advice about how to get started. It is very overwhelming. Seeing as I am just looking to complete my first tri, I think I will try the beginner's workout. Swimming is going to by my hardest area. I am actually looking for a stroke coach in the area to help me out. No luck so far but I haven't given up yet!
2006-12-29 5:02 PM
in reply to: #635888

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Brachiator - 2006-12-28 6:52 PM I am greatful to the question about training programs. There are a lot of seasoned tri vets where I work and they all have advice about how to get started. It is very overwhelming. Seeing as I am just looking to complete my first tri, I think I will try the beginner's workout. Swimming is going to by my hardest area. I am actually looking for a stroke coach in the area to help me out. No luck so far but I haven't given up yet!

and don't you dare give up! we won't let you! i've read that many swimmers on this site use their masters class at the local YMCA as a good training/coaching source. you might have thought of it already, but maybe check there?

i understand what you mean about being overwhelmed with information, you're going to want to filter through and get out what makes sense to you. you might be new to the sport, but i believe we all have an inner wisdom that can guide us to success, no matter what. what works for one person may not work for another.

2006-12-29 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
So did any of you make any new year's resolutions, other than training for a triathlon?

2006-12-29 6:06 PM

Regular
Lone Star State
I am going to try to ease up on the caffeine. I average 2-3 Diet Cokes a day!

How about you?
2006-12-29 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

good for you - diet coke is really not a good beverage for anyone, so if you can quit it,  you're already becoming healthier. as for me, i haven't made up my mind yet. maybe cut back on sweets and junk food by adding more greens to my diet. i would like to reduce my television watching too... we'll see how that goes.

i gave up caffeine last january - i have had a coffee addiction, fetish, problem - i recommend Teeccino (teecheeno) for anyone who wants to cut back on caffeine. it helped me alot and though i still drink coffee in the morning, i'm no longer the zombie woman in the morning before that first cup that i used to be!

Edited by marymosc13 2006-12-29 6:23 PM
2006-12-29 7:46 PM

I am going to spend more time on me next year. (Selfish, huh!) No really, I had 4 kids in 5 years and the oldest is nearly 11. I have had kids at home with me all that time and finally the youngest is off to school. Don't get me wrong I love being a mum, but it seems all my time is sucked up by them. Even the work I do at home suffers constant interruptions ( but that's OK, I would rather do this than have to go do a 9-5 job).

You don't get a lot of personal freedom with kids around, you know, like shopping for clothes or a bra or stopping for a coffee or whatever - you have to plan it or not bother. I will have more time for me, and if I want to pack up my bike into the van and then go ride around the lake, then I will! Well, I will have 6 hours, 5 days a week of potential freedom anyway, LOL. Let's not get too carried away.

I believe that it will be better all round when I take the time to improve my health and get some head space. Now to get through the next 5 weeks until school goes back..... Right now I can only train in the wee hours or when my hubby gets home from work. The pool will go back to opening at 5:30 next week (yay), rather than at 9 am between Christmas and New Year, grrrr.
2006-12-29 7:50 PM

Oh, and another question about the training programs. Does the time include warm up and warm down times or do you add those on yourself? Like for the run, for example, is it 15 minutes including 5 minute warm up and down or do you warm up, do your 15 minutes and then warm down? Thanks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » marymosc13's group THE V.A.M.P.S., FULL Rss Feed  

of 17