This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-24 4:16 PM
in reply to: #630201

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Subject: RE: spokes' Group - OPEN
Spokes, I'm a fan of joining your group if you'll have me

NAME: davealt, David

STORY: 24 years old, just moved to Tallahassee, FL in August. I've been a runner since I was in the 8th grade and upon graduating college decided to get into the world of triathlons. Since then I've done one, which was just a bit longer than a sprint. I've been a member of BT for close to two years, but I'm more of a browser than anything. I love the atmosphere here.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married to my high school sweetheart for about a year and half. We plan to have kids in the future, but for now our fat cat Blue keeps us busy

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm self coached, and that's one of my favorite parts of triathlon. Reading books about triathlon, reading forums, websites like this are all part of the fun for me. I hope to contine that this year and learn more and more about how to coax every last bit of performance out of myself. I haven't been logging it because we're just getting the internet set up in our new apt, but I've been doing very low key running the past six weeks, maybe 30 miles a week. I fully intend to make 2007 my best year ever.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: There certainly weren't many. I think one or two 5k's.

2007 RACES: TBD

LIMITERS: I've found that is very easy to train when you have a large group of teammates, ie a cross country team. Since graduating, it's very hard for me to get out and run on my own. This has been my biggest limiter. I feel like if I can get out the door, I'll do alright. It's amazing that this is my biggest problem, because I love doing the training.
2006-12-24 8:59 PM
in reply to: #632682

Subject: ...
2006-12-26 2:31 PM

2006-12-27 8:24 AM
in reply to: #633400

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.
Hey there, I thought I'd get in early before the virtual ink on my subscription is even dry, I'd like to join your group, heh, I'm going to need all the help I can get.

NAME: glennbb - Glenn

STORY: 42 Male.
Where to start that isn't going to bore you to death, I've been playing rugby off and on for 31 years, that is until August 2005 when I snapped my fibula off at the ankle, 2 operations and much rehabilitation later I'm able to jog again without any pain in the damaged area. 3 Months in plaster and almost a year of inactivity(totally self inflicted I should add) have not done my fitness/BMI any favours whatsoever.

After some reassessment towards the end of December I decided to set myself what the guys at work would call a "Big Hairy Audacious Goal" and yesterday I picked competing in a standard distance Triathlon as my goal.

Having decided to do that, I've set about researching the subject and found this site that looks just about perfect for me, I'm in the UK but I've never let a little thing like timezones put me off.

Who knows, fitness and weightloss will probably see me make a comeback to playing rugby too.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced father of three, my 2 lads are living with me Alex(17) and Ryan(9) my daughter Gemma(15) lives with her mum, Alex plans on training with me if he can keep up.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am planning my training schedule now, that's what brought me to this site. I expect it to have 3 running sessions, 2 swimming and 1 cycling all at a very easy pace for a few weeks just to ease me into the whole cardio thing. I'd really like to get some weight work in at some point too, but for the time being that's optimistic. After the first few weeks I will hopefully have chosen the training plan to suit me and I'll start to ramp it up.

My biggest challenge is going to be arranging my very full social calendar around my training, luckily I have a very supportive lady as a partner and she's very supportive of me doing this.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: None, although up until my accident in August 2005 I was playing 1st and 2nd team rugby for my local club.

2007 RACES: I'm hoping to fit in a sprint, sometime about may, prior to going the full distance and injuries/training schedule permitting I'd like to try my first full Triathlon in Sept/Oct.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'0" with a heavy frame and thanks to the lifetime of physical abuse that is rugby I'm heavily muscled, I currently weigh in at 265 lbs and have weighed as little as 210 lbs, if I could get to that level again I'd be extremely pleased.

2006-12-27 11:56 AM
in reply to: #633792

2006-12-27 2:39 PM

2006-12-27 3:20 PM
in reply to: #634306

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.
spokes - 2006-12-27 8:39 PM

Guys, I've added your names with links to your blogs on my blog page under Short-Term Goals; you may want to copy and do the same!

I have a Blog?

Wow, errrm I guess I'd better figure out how to use it.

I've been looking out my running gear, I think I need some new bits of kit, lol.
2006-12-27 4:04 PM
in reply to: #634376

2006-12-27 10:26 PM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

NAME: Ty (one of many resident jokesters here on BT)

STORY: 35 years old who is working on getting into hubby/daddy shape.  Want to be able to keep up with the kids better than most parents.  Mutli-sport athlete in high school (soccer, basketball, swim, track).  In college I found the gym and started lifting heavy for size with the goal of amatuer bodybuilding.  That wasn't happening.  Got away from that and gained weight and topped out about 255lbs (6'2".  From January 2006 to Summer 2006 got down to 225lbs and have maintained there though inconsistant training and not paying attention to food intake.

FAMILY STATUS: married and a father of one son with another child due in early May 2007.  Also the owner of one adopted dog who is also my running partner.

CURRENT TRAINING: Current training has been extremely sparse with battling recurring chest infections.  Get it for a few weeks (no training), get better and start training for a week or so and get it again.  As of typing this, it's on its way back again.  Otherwise, am focusing on running, biking is second, have no fear of the swim just need to keep practicing.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Bigfoot Sprint Tri, Lickety Splits Rockton Sprint (Local tri club).  Got sick the night before the Lake Geneva Oly (was to be my first oly)

2007 RACES: Big goal is the first (and hopefully annual) ROCKMAN Half Ironman here in Rockford, IL (June 10th).   As a prep race the Cary Half Marathon in March.  Between and after that, will have to be determined later due to the child that's on the way. 

LIMITERS: Right now, it's the chest infections I've been getting.   Otherwise I'm pretty good about training in the mornings or evenings.

2006-12-28 5:24 AM
in reply to: #634432

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.
spokes - 2006-12-27 10:04 PM

Yes! You do! When you joined BT! 

How's the weather in the UK today?  

I've added the other guys in this group to my blog and figured out how to use some of it.

Quick thinking on your near miss there Tupuppy, well done, glad you're all okay.

Today in London it is sunny spells with light cloud cover, not really cold at all.

Brought my kit in and I'll go to the gym to measure up then work out.

If you don't hear from me again my willpower broke.
2006-12-28 8:36 AM
in reply to: #634839

2006-12-29 2:54 AM
in reply to: #634980

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.
I've picked a plan, it's labelled "Couch to Sprint" and it's a 12 week plan, I've uploaded it to my training log (What a cool feature) and it starts on Monday January the 1st, that's deliberate too.

Hopefully it's not too ambitious, the concern I have around time is 3 trips to the swimming pool a week, maybe I can streamline the visits and do them in my lunch hour.

2006-12-29 7:40 AM

Looking for some direction! Is this a group for a true BEGINNER. I've never run, I rarely swim, I only bike. I am looking to lose 80+ pounds.

STORY: A friend has challenged me to compete in a sprint tri in early July near Kansas City Kansas. I've dually challenged myself. Been at it for one week using the Micheal Pate training guide (22 week From coach to Sprint). I ordered his book and have already completed it. The swim portion of the training will be hard for me during the winter (20 miles to the nearest pool). I love to ride and cannot forsee that as a problem. I had knee surgery 29 days ago (torn medial miniscus). I am currently just walking at a pace my knee can handle. DO I SOUND LIKE A CHALLENGE OR WHAT!!!

FAMILY: Married mother of three, Daughter 10, Son 9, and Daughter 6. My husband is VERY supportive. He sees how much happier I am when I am fit and leaner!!

GOALS: I need to focus on the July tri in Kansas.
2006-12-29 1:54 PM

Pro
Simpsonville, SC

2006-12-29 1:58 PM
in reply to: #636200

2006-12-30 8:33 PM

Expert
WV

Can I join the madness…er fun of your group too?

NAME: Dr Hammer aka Suzie

STORY:  I was very active growing up.  I participated in cross country, basketball, track, and softball in high school.  I ran cross country and track in college.  My “specialty” was the 10 K.  But, I actually ran the best over the ½ marathon distance.   I have competed in road races since college.  2 herniated discs put a stop to my racing about 6 years ago.  It took about 3 years for me to get back to running.  I was “forced” to learn to swim during college.  I had 2 injuries (a Lat. Dorsi muscle strain and a tibial stress fracture) that benefited from pool swimming and deep water running and by doing so still was able to compete in meets as a result.  I also swam a lot (not very well) with the disc issue.   I took up tri training about 1 ½ years ago.   I liked the cross training rather than the pounding running does on the body.   Also, the challenge of the tri- is enticing.  But mostly….it looks like fun!
I have yet to participate in my first tri even though I have been training for 1 ½ years.   I have issues.   The biggest is my commitments.  I am an educator/athletic trainer.  This year, I am working with one of our teams at the university.  I did travel with them in the fall.  I am not planning to travel this spring during the off-season tourneys.   I also work track meets during the late spring/summer.  I travel the country 4-5 times due to this.  The next issue is my struggle with swimming in deep, open water.  I nearly drowned as an 8 YO at swimming lessons and never got back in the water until college.   Yes, I swam in pools for several years ….but the pools I have swum in are shallow enough to walk across at a chest deep.  During my first year of training, a tri- coach and some friends worked with me and I eventually swam several times in a reservoir nearby.  I got familiar with all the fun of an open water swim.  Not comfortable with it but familiar.  I now live in an area that has ocean swims (this should add an interesting twist).  That year, we even did several Olympic distance bricks but I never did an official tri-.  Last season, I finished my education and moved to a new locale for my current position.  I also had a significant bike wreck in Apr.  A 3+ AC separation, fractured scapula, and a stinger kept me from the fun.  I have not been in the pool much since the injury but the shoulder/back are ready and need to get moving .

FAMILY STATUS: Single.

CURRENT TRAINING:   I struggle with consistency.  I set up a schedule and life or laziness gets in the way.  I have a program laid out to get me to a ½ IM in May/June.  I

LAST YEAR'S RACES: None.  This will be my first triathlon (see above). 

2007 RACES:  The plan right now is a couple ½ IMs; one in May/June (Beast of the East?) and a second at season’s end in Sept/Oct.  I also plan on a couple Olympics and some road races (10 K and ½ mara distances) as well to mix it up.  I have got to nail down my non-athletic committment schedule first before I can register for any events.
WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose the 10 lbs I gained through my PhD days.  I also would like to lean up similar to my college running days.

2006-12-31 12:47 PM
in reply to: #637508

2006-12-31 12:49 PM

Edited by spokes 2006-12-31 12:50 PM
2006-12-31 1:22 PM

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Update - joined a gym with a pool yesterday, so I can finally start swimming again! My internet connection is really bad right now, so I will get everyone added onto my blog later this week. I'll also pick out my big race for the first half of the year, and we can this party started! Good luck everyone!

2007-01-01 4:18 AM

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.
Happy New Year Guys.

And so it begins...

2007-01-01 11:46 AM
in reply to: #638213

2007-01-02 5:20 AM

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.
Got a bit of strength training planned in the gym at lunchtime then after work off to go drown a few times.

Got some photos pinned up with me looking larger than the average bear.

Full steam ahead, I actually found myself enjoying the exercise yesterday, how screwed up is that.

Some small aches and pains in my major leg muscles, I expect they'll stretch out in the gym.
2007-01-02 2:39 PM
in reply to: #638817

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » spokes' Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6