Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2006-12-22 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: zia_cyclist's Group - FULL

NAME: zia_cyclist / Tommy

STORY: I'm a 45 year old male living and working in Frisco, Texas (a suburb of Dallas).  After finishing an MBA in 2004 I was looking for a new challenge.  My fitness background is cycling.  So, I started searching the internet for cycling races and rides with the intention of getting back into shape through cycling.  Graduate school didn't allow much time for working out or staying in shape.  I was about 20 pounds heavier than I wanted to be.  While looking for cycling races and rides I stumbled onto several tri sites including this one.  The rest is history.  I completed my first triathlon (a reverse sprint) in April 2005.  That year I worked my fitness level up to a half-ironman distance race.  I've been hooked on the tri lifestyle ever since.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married 

CURRENT TRAINING: For the past 2 years I've used the training plans on the BT site.  For 2007 I'll be using the BT training plans.  The plans have worked well for me.  I'm using the run focused Winter Maintenance plan during January and February then moving to the OLY to HIM Bridge plan to prepare for Buffalo Springs 70.3.  Then prepartion and training starts for the Redman iron distance race in September. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES:  In 2006 I completed 3 Oly, 2 HIMs and 1 IM (Ironman Florida).   

2007 RACES:  During 2007 I plan to race in the Playtri HIM (Dallas), Buffalo Springs 70.3, Prairieman Long Course (HIM), Redman long course (IM) and the Longhorn Tri festival (HIM).  I'll also race in several shorter distance races but I haven't mapped out those yet.  

WEIGHTLOSS: I don't have any wieght loss goals.  I've lost 20 pounds in 2 years and plan to stay at my current wieght by maintaining a tri lifestyle.  

Edited by zia_cyclist 2006-12-28 1:42 PM

2006-12-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: #631645

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: zia_cyclist's Group - OPEN
Hey Tommy, count me in on your group. We share similar goals. Here's the Reader's Digest version of me...

NAME: jkron / Jim

STORY: 48 years old and living in Waller County (between Houston and College Station). Work as a project manager for a company that manufactures oil-field equipment. Been doing outdoor sports such as skiing, mountianeering, backpacking, river running, etc. since the teen years. Go to Wyoming and Colorado every chance I get. Always prepared for these trips by cycling, hiking, lifting weights. Bought an elliptical machine and started a full-time fitness regimen in Jan 05 and started some running soon after. My son's college roomate did triathlon and the idea got planted in my head. I wanted to train with a challenge and a goal, so doing a tri made sense. Never been a swimmer and started swimming in Sep 05 along with a structured training schedule. Bought a tri bike in Jan 06 and went to work.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 27 years; 2 sons, 23 & 22. Oldest is married and living nearby in Navasota and the younger is a 2ndLT in the Marine Corps; stationed in Hawaii, going to Iraq in Mar 07.

CURRENT TRAINING: On winter maintenance for biking and swimming. Been focusing on running for the upcoming Houston Marathon. Check out my logs & RRs.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 4 sprints, 1 Oly, 1 HIM, and some 5 & 10Ks. Solid MOP finishes and improving.

2007 PLANS: 4 local sprints, 2 Olys, 2 HIMs (Buff Springs & IronStar) and Redman.

WEIGHTLOSS: Never been a problem. Went from 147 of average mush to 144 and 8% BF.

2006-12-27 10:44 AM

Hingham, MA
Tommy and Jim:

Defintely interested in joining the group. common thread I see here...

Turning 40 in Feb - happily married 13 yrs with two great kids (6 and 3). finished my Babson MBA in 2005 (ouch). MBA, training and keeping the family sane is not easy

Live in the Boston area...so far its pretty mild.

HISTORY: Long time runner and cycler...I was sidelined most of 2006 with an IT Band problem. Almost back in action. IT band got me on the road bike (which is being retired shortly) Any ideas on a bike without going totally nuts on price? I am Scottish afterall

2007 RACES signed up for timberman 70.3 in august and will supplement a bunch of sprints and an Oly or two... Just getting my program in line and first dip in the pool on Thursday.

WEIGHT : currently tippng the scales at 165 but looking to be leaner and meaner in 2007...

Scott

2006-12-27 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
I don't fit your theme, but I'd like to join your group.

I am a 30 year old female, married for 3 years, 9 year old step son.

I started tri training early 2006 (I think February or March). I was a complete non athlete before I started training. No idea what made me start this, I think I saw a news story or something talking about someone doing tris and started looking into it and realized that 'normal' people could do them. I completed two sprint tris in 2006.

I have struggled in all three areas, but swimming and running the most. I was for the most part a non swimmer when I started this so I have taught myself to swim. I went to the city pool and watched people swim and sorta imitated them. It got me through the two sprint tris - and I actually did a open water sprint tri which was big for me. I am super super slow in the swim. I just ordered Total Immersion yesterday so when that comes in, I am going to start swimming again. I haven't really swam much since my last tri in July so I have a feeling I am going to have to almost start over in this category. I have been slowly building up my running and I actually hope to do a half marathon in March. My knees bother me a little when I push to hard on a run, going to a new distance or stuff like that so I have been trying to build up very slowly. My biking is the best of the three. I am slow, but I don't feel like I struggle as much as I do in swimming or running.

I plan to do 2 sprint tris and 1 olympic tri in 2007 along with the half marathon and a century ride. I have debated the idea of doing a half ironman in 2007, but I think I am going to stick with my original plan of olympic in 2007 and half in 2008.

I lost my weight about 5 years ago just by watching what I ate very carefully. I have slowly been putting that weight back on and have even gained a few more pounds since I have been tri training. I came from a very large family and eating is just a part of my life. My weight is something I will struggle with my whole life. I need to take off about 15 pounds right now....
2006-12-27 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Jim and Scott,

Welcome.  This should be fun.  Add me and the other group members to your friends list.  I'll do the same in my blog.  And, of course, log all of your workout data.  The point of this group is to inspire and motivate one another, learn from one another and kick some group member butt when we have those 'I don't wanna work out' days (we all have them ). 

Jim,
I see we have some of the same races planned.  We'll have to plan to meet up at those races.  I'm going to PM you about where you work.  We may be co-workers or we may be competitors.

Scott,
I ride a Felt.  Honestly, I think most of the tri bike manufacturers out there are of good quality.  Find a bike that feels comfortable and fits your body.  As you have probably read on BT - bike fit is everything.  Also, look for good quality components on the bike - Ultegra and Dura Ace are the top line Shimano drive train components.  The main reason I bought my Felt was because of the components spec'd out on the bike.

TJ

2006-12-27 6:45 PM
in reply to: #634667

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hi Amanda,

Judging from your user name I would guess you go by Mandy?  Add me and your fellow group members to your friends list in your blog.  And log your workouts.  We will check in on each other.

Funny you should mention non-athlete.  My wife was the same.  She liked aerobics classes and yoga, but never dreamed of running or racing.  But, just this year she decided to try running.  I guess seeing me training and racing inspired her.  She has completed an 8 mile race and a half marathon.  And loves running.  We run together often.

Swimming is tough for a lot of people.  Keep at it.  I think the key to swimming is consistent trianing.  Swimming is so much about technique and gaining a feel for the water.  If you can, join a Master's group or take swim lessons.  That will really help.

TJ

2006-12-27 7:20 PM

Hi EveryoneTommy, I motified your porfile format below):

STORY: I'm a 44 year old male living and working in Oceanside Ca. I am self employed, own 3 companies( Mortgage, Real estae Sales and Construction). My fitness background is cycling about 10 years previous was long distance running with about 10 years of couch ridding in between. I have been doing about 5 century rides a year and wanted to do something more. So, I am train ing for a 1/2 IM in March. I have always struggled with my weight hope to be at my college weight by race time.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 24 years with 8 children 2 to 23 years

CURRENT TRAINING: I have set my goal on the Ford 1/2 IM 70.3 on 3/31/07. I am doing the 1/2 IM 20 week training program. It seems to be going well except for a few hickups around the holidays. 2007 will business with 6- Century Rides, 1- 1/2 IM, and 1 Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 60 pounds in 4 years and plan to loss 40 in 2007.
2006-12-27 8:42 PM
in reply to: #634707

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

William,

Welcome.  As I've said to the other group members, add us to your friends list in your blog.  Speaking of blog, I don't see yours.  Are you going to make it public?  We can inspire you and give you tips and comments on your training, but we need to see your blog.

TJ

2006-12-28 11:00 AM

Hingham, MA
TJ and all - I added you as friends so you should be able to see my blog.

Mandy: Definitely common threads...spouse, kids, commitments! You are just the young blood of the group!

I am heading to the pool tonight for the first time in a LONG TIME - will let you know how it goes. Back to working on mechanics. My official training doesnt kick in until March so its base building time...unfortunately i work 50 hours/week so training trade offs are a reality.

Talk to you all soon

Scott

2006-12-28 12:19 PM
in reply to: #634770

Yes, I am new at this. I added everyone and made it public. Try again and let me know if I was successful.
Thanks,
Will
2006-12-28 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Still open?
If so I'm in. Always nice to get feedback from people.

NAME: jpb0009 / Jamie

STORY: 36 year old male, married with 2 year old daughter and 1 (son) on the way (jan/feb wife is due) My wife is currently on strict bedrest as went into pre labor at 30.5 weeks, now under control and hit 33 weeks this week. I graduated from Southwest Texas State with degree in Exercise Science and History. But, I work in auto insurance in the claims department and manage a group that handles auto accidents with injuries involved (non attorney repped files). I have always run someway or another and cycling since about 99 fairly consistently. A friend of mine introduced me to the sport in 2005 and have been hooked ever since.

FAMILY STATUS: Married , 2 year old daughter, son on the way

CURRENT TRAINING: create my own plans using The Triathlete's Training Bible

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2006 did 2 oly's, 2 sprints, 1 HIM

2007 RACES: CapTex - oly, Buffalo Springs 70.3 (registered), Austin Tri - oly, Longhorn HIM
and will work in a few others if time and training allows. (new baby early in year)

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm about 5'8 and in jun 2005 weighed about 205, lowest I was down last year was 152 but avg race weight 158-163. currently a little higher due to holidays. Would like to stay around 155-160 range.

2006-12-28 1:41 PM
in reply to: #635402

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Jamie, welcome.  You are nmber 5 so I guess we are full.  You have some of the same races listed as Jim and I.  Should be a fun year hooking up at the races. 

When I first started triathlon in 2004, I tried building my on training plans using the TTTB.  But, it didn't work out too well for me.  Not enought experience with structured training.  I ended up using a training plan out of a book.  Last year and this year I used a plan from BT.

Add us to your friends and log your workouts.  We'll see you on the boards!

TJ 

2006-12-28 1:51 PM

Subject: RE: zia_cyclist's Group - FULL
Hi:
I got a Polar 725x for X-mas very excited. If anyone has experience with this model or similar models and would like to share tips, please do so. I have never worked out with a Heart Rate Monitor before, any advise?
Thanks,
Will
2006-12-28 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Added everyone to the list.

Looking foward to the group and feedback/discussions.
2006-12-28 2:29 PM
in reply to: #635551

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

wmthacher - 2006-12-28 1:51 PM Hi: I got a Polar 725x for X-mas very excited. If anyone has experience with this model or similar models and would like to share tips, please do so. I have never worked out with a Heart Rate Monitor before, any advise? Thanks, Will

Will,

Check out this link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25734&posts=1&start=1 . Coach Ricci wrote this about HR training.  He also has some info on the D3 website.

I always use a HRM for serious training.  Follow the LT tests in the link above to determine your HR training zones.  Depending on your fitness level, you may want to train for a month or so before doing these tests.  I'm in the off season right now.  I'll test my LT again at the end of January after training through January. 

Once you have your HR zones determined, then most of your training for endurance sports will be done in zones 1 or 2.  You should occasionally have training sessions that take your HR up to zone 4 (just below your LT heart rate).  Some of the training plans on BT will tell you which zone to train in for that particular workout.

Oh...BTW, I also occassionally run and bike 'nekkid' (without a HRM, bike computer, MP3 player, etc).

TJ

2006-12-29 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
men-tor \
noun
1. a wise and trusted counselor or teacher
2. an influential senior sponsor or supporter
verb
1. to act as a mentor

Yep, Tommy's our man...

Our group is a microcosm of BT itself; a mix of experienced athletes and beginners each drawing from the resources of each other. The less strong drafting off the stronger.

I'm anticipating some good things from our group and it coincides with my confidence going into the 2007 season.

Let's rock it!

Edited by jkron 2006-12-29 7:56 AM

2006-12-29 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning to everyone.

Tommy hit on the nose about using your heart rate monitor. I am using my last test results still but plan on retesting end of January. It is a really great tool to help with your training. I love #'s, I get a little OCD at times. Amanda keep up with the swimming, it will become easier, this was my biggest fear at my first race and now it is my favorate part. We have a really nice mix of people in the group.

Well need to get to work since I'm the only manager here today.

Everyone have a great day.
2006-12-29 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hello Group.  OK, I've been defined as a mentor.  Oh man, now the pressure is on.

Our group is:
Jim (jkron)
Mandy (mandy7741)
Will (wmthacher)
Scott (scottymack)
Jamie (jpb0009)

The way I think this should work is that we use this thread to discuss various topics related to triathlon, s/b/r, racing, etc.  The thread will become long, but I think having one thread will keep things more organized.  You agree?  Since this is our first go at the mentor program, feel free to make suggestions on how to proceed.

Each week or so I'll post a topic for discussion.  You guys also feel free to post questions and topics for disussion.  We'll all learn from one another. 

Here is a website you may find interesting (especially if you are a science geek like me).  It disusses basic exercise physiology; good definitions of all those acronyms you read about - LT, VO2 Max, etc.  Exercise Physiology

TJ

Edited by zia_cyclist 2006-12-29 10:27 AM
2006-12-29 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Sounds like a good plan to get it started.

We can always adapt along the way.
2006-12-29 1:02 PM

Hi Group:
Sounds good to me. Excited to be a part of the group and have a great 07. Everyone should share their goals as they reach them to keep us inspired.
My training program had a 14 mile run for me this morning, I glad to get that behind me.
Will
2006-12-29 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
That makes sense to me to keep it all in this one thread so we don't have to go out searching for new threads for our group. I don't spend much time in the forums (not enough time right now), so it will be great to have all of our stuff right here together in this thread.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you, and learning from you!

2006-12-30 11:36 AM
in reply to: #636462

Hingham, MA
Subject: Nutrition question
TJ - thanks for taking the time to help us out. this is helpful.

OK- so i am trying to get my tail in gear....my issue is I leave the office at about 6pm and then head right to the pool/rike or road. i need to get some dinner so i do not crash mid workout.

any suggestions/ideas for how to get the some fuel without feeling too bogged down...not sure if Ensure is a good idea..

anyone have success stories here?
2006-12-30 1:55 PM
in reply to: #637251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Nutrition question
I have that problem too Scotty - especially since I am trying to lose weight too so I am also always teetering that line of too few calories to properly train. I do 3 meals and two snacks a day so normally I do Breakfast - snack - lunch - snack - dinner. What I started doing on days that I workout in the evening before I go home is breakfast - snack - lunch - dinner - snack. I will have 'dinner' at work around 4:00 - 4:30 and then when I get home at 7 or 8, I will have a snack. We have microwaves and refrigerators at my work, so I will premake something for dinner that is easy to heat up at work - pasta of some sort usually and just eat it at my desk. Sometimes if I don't have time to premake anything I will have hot pockets or something like that. And then when I get home I will have a snack - the size of which depending on how long of a workout I did and how many calories I need....
2006-12-30 2:59 PM
in reply to: #637251

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Scott,

I have used Ensure before.  I like it.  250 calories in only 8 oz.  Because it's a small volume it doesn't bloat me.  I've only used it in my pre-race breakfast though.  Haven't used it immediately before a workout.  But, try it.  It seems like a good idea to me and if it works for you then great.

I eat my meals similar to Mandy - breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner.  If I'm working out after work, then I time the mid afternoon snack for about 5 pm.  Then workout at 6.  Snacks include fruit, yogurt, trail mix, nuts, oj, etc.  I pack a lunch bag full of this stuff and take it to work.  Here's another option, sometimes I'll have a Gu and water before working out. 

2006-12-30 3:09 PM
in reply to: #637307

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Mandy,

It's a good thing that you eat your meals the way you do.  There is some research that supports grazing (eating all day) as a means of weight control.  The theory goes that if your blood sugar level stays stable then your body will not store as much of the excess calories as fat.  Grazing keeps your blood sugar stable.  Eating 3 big meals a day causes peaks and valleys in your blood sugar and during the peaks your body takes the sugar (calories) out of your blood and stores those calories as fat.

Of course, you still have to control the total number of calories eaten.  It's better to spread those calories through out the day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10