Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-03-03 7:04 AM
in reply to: #708615

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: zia_cyclist's Group - FULL
I have used the things you put over your wrist and hands to make it so you can't bend your wrist, is that what you call the hand paddles? And I have also used the thing you keep between your legs to just use your arms but I don't know what it was called. I can never get the kickboard to work. I sit there and kick and kick and don't go nowhere. I don't know if that means I have bad form or weak kick or what. I want to try the fins (but just because I think they look fun )

When I go to swim, I generally just worry about plain swimming because I am trying to get my distance worked up. Once I do that, I know I need to work on form and drills and all that but I just haven't quite got there yet. I bought TI a couple of months ago, but haven't started using it yet. I watched part of the DVD of the drills and they look very odd.....

2007-03-06 8:42 AM
in reply to: #709998

Hingham, MA
i would like to change topics back to nutrition if okay with everyone - so I have been ready up on what to eat, drink - how much and when..

the tactical question is...for longer races HIM and up, does your body take all this in or do you find yourself looking for a porta-potty at T2?

I have had to make a pit stop before during a 1/2 marathon due to over-hydration which is note ideal

any insight on this delicate topic??
2007-03-06 12:52 PM
in reply to: #631645

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
A good question that every first-timer is going ask OR experience at some point...

Shorter races than HIM have never been a problem for me as my body does a good job of "taking care of business" prior to the race.

I have 1 HIM to my credit and during the bike I had to pee badly. Wasn't an aid station for another 15-20 miles and I couldn't wait and I didn't want to stop. So I peed while riding. Was my first time and it's not all that easy. Took a couple of tries and I found that by standing up a little while coasting down a hill allowed the muscles to relax enough to make it happen.

Yeah, it soaks your shorts and runs down your legs and it soaks your socks. It's also worse if you forget to remove the duct tape from the vent (drain) holes in the bottom of your shoes that you stuck on there for an early season cold morning ride.

It sounds gross and it kind of is, but the relief was immediate, and I was able to relax and drink (critical), and concentrate on racing.

Later, I also made a pee stop early in the run. Took advantage of a portacan that had no line and it was a couple of minutes, but I didn't have to worry about it again.

Bottom line: In a longer race, it's going to happen and you better have a plan, AND be very adaptable. Whether you stop or not is a personal decision, it's not like we're contending for the podium.

BTW, after the race, I thoroughly cleaned my bike shoes and insoles with strong soap and sun dried them.
2007-03-06 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
At ironstar I went pee on the bike. I agree, it was difficult. It took a couple of tries but it finally happened. I had some water on me so i rinsed myself off. olympic/sprint no issues to date. Back to ironstar, i stopped at a port o potty only once and that did the job as well.
2007-03-06 2:06 PM
in reply to: #713581

Hingham, MA
you guys are awesome - if i see you on the bike i will be sure to not draft you!

seriously this is great info...the unspoken truth.
2007-03-06 5:24 PM
in reply to: #713466

User image

Extreme Veteran
You know I have been wondering about this topic because I always have to stop to go to the bathroom if my training runs are longer than about 45 minutes (small bladder), but I have to admit that I don't think I could just do it on myself, at least not right now. Maybe if I ever get up to doing an IM, I will change my mind, but right now I can not imagine it! I have had to stop at a porta potty between the bike and run of a sprint tri so I couldn't imagine how long it would be in a longer one! Right now, i'm just hoping they have plenty of porta potties at Shamrock After that I'll figure out whatever happens after that.

2007-03-06 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

In all of my HIMs I've had to pee in T2.  I usually hit the porta potty in transition.  Last year at BSLT I didn't go in T2 even though I had to.  I thought I could finish the run without going.  Big, huge mistake.  My run sucked until I got to the half way point and a porta potty.  So, if you gotta go, you gotta go.  I won't make that mistake again. 

I also have peed on the bike.  It's not easy and takes practice.  Yep, I practice peeing on training rides.  At IMFL I peed probably 4 times during the first 2 hours of the bike.  I stopped on the side of the road and went in the bushes.  It's a long race so a couple minutes in the bushes sure beats 112 miles of wet shoes.  I new this was going to happen becuase in training the same thing happens.  First hour or so I have to pee.  After that I'm OK until T2.  I think it has to do with drinking too much too early.  Everything you read and hear says hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  So, as soon as I get on the bike I start drinking.  This year I'm going to experiment with waiting for a half hour or so before taking in any liquids.  Maybe that'll keep me from having to pee so early.

TJ

2007-03-06 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
I was thinking a bit more about this subject and we've kind of overlooked a major point... proper hydration, especially in longer races under varying weather conditions.

If you're drinking enough fluids, you cannot sweat it all out; you're going to HAVE to pee at some point and that's a good thing. If you're not having to pee, you're probably not drinking enough.

After lots of consideration of my recent Marathon performance, I'm convinced I was under-hydrated and that's what contributed to my legs cramping. It was a cool morning, I wasn't "hot and thirsty" and in retrospect, I just didn't drink enough, not for a 26 mile run.

Of course, it's possible to drink too much. It's a tricky balance and it's just something you need to practice in training and while gaining experience during long races.
2007-03-06 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
TJ posted while I was typing...

2007-03-07 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
As TJ stated in his post, limit your fluid intake during first 20-30 minutes on the bike. I have read multiple times that when first getting out of the water on to the bike, most will drink some water vs say sports drink the first 20 minutes. Some say it helps with getting the HR down.
2007-03-21 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
kind of quiet out there.

Question, i only took 3 days off and i know tommy is taking some time off due to injury. If any of you have come across this what do you do when not training? And when your ready to get back into it, depending on the time how do you approach your training. I had an injury last year and it limited my running for 2 months - 13 miles in that span and i had to work my way back slowly.

2007-03-21 5:29 PM
in reply to: #732316

Hingham, MA
J: thanks for kicking up the dust - was feeling lonely. My IT issues were significant in late 2005 - could not run! Had to revert to walking and pool work. Tried to grind it out to no avial. sometimes you jus have to listen to your body when you push the envelope!
2007-03-21 7:59 PM
in reply to: #732316

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Ha!  What to do?  That's the big question.  I've been going stir crazy the last couple of days.  Tonight I cleaned up my bike, oiled the chain, adjust the brakes.  Almost started to dismount the tires on my race wheels and then remount them (kidding, it's not that bad yet). 

How to get back into it is a good question.  And I don't really know the answer.  But, next week I'm going to ease back into running and cycling.  All very easy workouts.  Z1.  And then ramp up from there. 

TJ

2007-03-22 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
When we went to Hawaii earlier this month I had fully planned to swim and run. As it turned out, it just wasn't practical without severely encroaching on our family time. Because of the circumstances, family time was the whole reason we made the trip and that took priority.

So, I didn't stress over it, let it go, and the week become a "rest & recover" week. I returned refreshed physically and mentally.

Got back late on Wednesday and Thursday jumped on the bike for a 24 mile ride. Was feeling really good and was just hammering away, I mean really pushing it.

Then about mile 18 or 19 my right calf started cramping big-time. Hurt like a b!tch. Actually had to stop and work it out. I've ridden that bike 2600+ miles and have NEVER stopped. Needless to say, the rest of the ride was very toned down.

Stupid me, I should have taken it easy and spun that ride in the small ring after more than a week off. It took several days for the pain in that calf to go away. It never really slowed me down, but I paid close attention to it and took it a little easy.

Now this week, I am feeling super. I have been having some killer workouts and feeling very strong. Got a race in a week and half, and I'm going to smoke it.

Moral of the story: The week off does a person good, you won't loose "that much" fitness, but start easy and gradually get back to where you left off.

Edited by jkron 2007-03-23 7:22 AM
2007-03-28 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Recovery drink - What do each of you do for recovery after workouts.
2007-03-28 10:19 PM
in reply to: #739894

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

jpb0009 - 2007-03-28 9:11 AM Recovery drink - What do each of you do for recovery after workouts.

For me it's Endurox R4 immediately after the workout.  Love the stuff.  I can work out the next day after a tought workout if I have my Endurox.  Depending on how long the workout is, I'll also eat a meal about a half hour after downing the Endurox. 

TJ

2007-03-29 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Endurox - really good stuff. I've tried it as well. I've tried my home made version, gatorade w/ a scoop of whey protein as well. I just put in a order of infinit to use on during my HIM, also ordered there recovery drink to see how it works.
My problem, after a long hard workout i don't drink enough water throughout the day even though I know i should
2007-03-29 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
I've never really done the "official" recovery drink routine. I do drink chocolate milk/Ovaltine after some afternoon rides, but I'm also typically eating within 30 minutes to an hour afterwards.

My breakfast every morning whether I workout or not is a 34oz shake with fruit, yogurt, whey protein, and creatine. I make this and drink it while driving to work. Get about 25 grams of protein in it plus the other stuff.

I've used Acelerade & Cytomax products, never really had any issues, but just tended to go back to regular G-ade and G-ade Endurance.

Just bought me a tube of Nuun last weekend and have been drinking those this week to build up the electrolytes. Can't hurt and tastes good, too.

There are just so many choices out there when it comes to sports nutrition, and of course everybody says their product is a must-have, it's almost intimidating sometimes.
2007-03-30 6:25 AM
in reply to: #742726

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don't think I workout long enough to do recovery drinks yet or any of that fancy stuff. My 'long' workouts aren't generally longer than an hour. I hope to get in some longer rides this weekend, but even then I don't see myself doing anything fancier than normal food and water and maybe some gatorade.
2007-03-30 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Nuun, great product and tastes great as well. I will often take of few of these a few days before a heavy/long workout day as well. I'm still in search of the perfect match on nutrition, gels work out, any sports drinks are ok, but after a while they just don't sit well when I hit the 4-5 hr mark. I have some infinit on the way and will give that a go next.
2007-03-30 4:36 PM
in reply to: #742869

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

mandy7741 - 2007-03-30 6:25 AM I don't think I workout long enough to do recovery drinks yet or any of that fancy stuff. My 'long' workouts aren't generally longer than an hour. I hope to get in some longer rides this weekend, but even then I don't see myself doing anything fancier than normal food and water and maybe some gatorade.

Mandy, I use recovery drinks only when my workouts are longer than ~1.5 hours.  The important thing for any workout is to eat within about 30 minutes of finishing your workout.  During this period of time you body is most ready to absorb carbohydrates and replenish muscle glycogen. 

TJ 

2007-03-30 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I like the convience of Nuun.  I put the tablets in a baggie to carry with me.  Then when a get to a water stop (park, store, whatever) I refill my water bottles and pop in a Nuun - instant electrolyte drink.

TJ

2007-04-10 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
New subject...

Not too new; it's been beat into the ground on other forums, but here I was curious...

Aero helmets. We've all heard about the MIT study and the advantages.

Anybody use one? Thinking about it? Why not use one? Is it the "look like a dork" factor? Are they hot (minimal ventilation)?

We're willing to spend $$ on other upgrades to gain some speed.

I'm considering one for BSLT and Redman.

Comments please...
2007-04-10 7:40 AM
in reply to: #754919

Hingham, MA
I have read a little bit about them and sounds like the heat factor is a deterrent for me. Northeast is too humid during the peak season. My 2 cents are that the $$$ may be better spent on a powermeter if you so not have one. Maybe if I make a run for the podium I will get one

Scott

2007-04-11 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
I have a rudy project syton open helmet. It is actually quite comfortable and air flow is nice the way it is set up. It doesn't cover the ears which helps as well. $99, is what i paid, found it on sale, i believe normally $149. I can tell when i wear it that the airflow feels different on my head, more goes around the head. Does it make me faster? don't know but it doesnt bother me in the heat. I have heard some are really hot (lg rocket).

(hl346461.gif)

Attachments
----------------
hl346461.gif (11KB - 48 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10