Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-05-07 9:20 PM
in reply to: #631645

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: zia_cyclist's Group - FULL
If time constraints won't allow for full 3-4 hour rides, I really wouldn't stress about it too much. If you keep riding steady during the time(s) you do have, your actual fitness level will be adequate. The standard routine of intervals mixed in with steady-pace endurance rides will suffice.

For a 6 hour HIM, your bike split should be in the 2:50 to 3:10 range. If you feel VERY comfortable in the saddle and aero for 1.5-2 hours, you'll make 3 easy.

The main thing you're going to miss by not getting a couple of 3 hour rides under your belt is the opportunity to fully test your nutrition/hydration plan. In addition to the physical aspects, you'll miss out on the mental aspect of "knowing" what it's like to go that long and and have that inner confidence of "been there, done that".

I would also take 2 or 3 of your biggest chunks of time and do the longest bricks you can squeeze in, say a 25-30 mile bike and 6-8 mile run. A couple of those will build your transition legs AND confidence.

Still, I really wouldn't stress over it. Do the best you can with what you've got control over, and the rest will take care of itself. A good fitness base coupled with some will-power will get you through the day.

My .02

Edited by jkron 2007-05-08 7:12 AM

2007-05-08 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Agree with Jim above. If limited on time, i would definately ride as long as you can and also get in a run afterwards (bike/run brick). A good base will get you far and with the "mental toughness" you can get through the rest.
shoot I train quite a bit and even during some training and especially some races I have to talk myself through some of it.
If you are comfortable with your run, you may sub a bike instead of a run.
2007-05-09 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I agree with everything said above. 

One point to remember is that your bike fitness will effect your run performance.  I recently communicated with Mike Ricci on how to improve my run.  His advice was to improve my bike fitness as a means to a better run.  Specifically, he said to work on raising my bike LT HR. 

You have 8 Saturdays before your race and a few hall passes.  Time to call them in.  I would do something like this for your long workouts (the dates are Saturdays)

5/12  1:45 bike / :20 run brick
5/19  2:00 bike / :30 run brick
5/26  1:30 bike (recovery week)
6/2   2:30 bike / :30 run brick
6/9  3:00 bike / :40 run brick (your last long run should be during this week)
6/16 3:30 bike / :20 run brick (no long runs this week to race date; i.e. 90'+ runs)
6/17 start taper; this would give you a 2 week taper.

If you feel your run is where it needs to be then sacrifice a long run for a long bike.  Keep the long bike ride intensity in mid to high z2.  Work on nutrition.  On your short rides during the week, work on big gear training and some intervals in z3 - z4. 

And, of course, do all this without injuring yourself. 

TJ

2007-05-09 3:04 PM
in reply to: #794889

Hingham, MA
Jim, Jamie and TJ - this is awesome stuff! Its hard to take a HIM plan and peel off the key workouts and feel like your are "on track"

I have been happy with results to date but needed a "voice of reason" - my wife thinks i am getting a little fanatical which i am sure you have heard this yourselves.

Your .02 are have a great exchange rate!

BTW - small world story: when I lived in Boulder/Denver I used to work with Mike Ricci at a mutual fund organization before he went off and founded D3...he is a great guy.

2007-05-10 4:49 PM
in reply to: #794906

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Scott,

Thinking a little more about your situation, I think this schedule would be better.  Do a 3 week build, recovery week, then a 2 week build, then taper. 

TJ

2007-05-10 9:32 PM

User image

NAME: kdavidreeves/David

STORY: I am a 48 year old male living in the Houston Heights. Originally from England I moved to Houston from Italy 5 years ago. I started training in earnest aftern my wife died last year and I joined a Triathlon club. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made because quite frankly it got me through the most miserable period in my life.

My main focus was on running while I learned how to swim freestyle (I was a good breaststroker in school but my freestyle was quite terrible). In February this year I achieved a major goal and qualified for the Boston Marathon. This prompted me to get brave and I registered for my first tri (Lonestar Sprint). I thoroughly enjoyed the whole event especially the friendliness and good spirit amongst my fellow competitors. It helped that it went quite well and apart from transitions I was quite well prepared. My main goal is to finish an Ironman and be competitive in my age group.

FAMILY STATUS: Widowed, my second wife died last year. I have three children living in England .

CURRENT TRAINING: To training plans provided by Trivantage.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Austin Half Marathon, San Diego R&R Marathon, various 5K's

2007 RACES: Austin Marathon, Lonestar Sprint, Trivantage Duathlon, Tri O de Mayo, Cap Tex Olympic

WEIGHTLOSS: No real weight los plan, I try to eat healthily and would like to get my body fat down from 10.9 to 7 or 8%

2007-05-11 7:30 AM
in reply to: #796402

Hingham, MA
TJ: After processing this a bit, I agree that the initial 3 week build will be better...

also - my wetsuit (orca predator) arrived last night...hope it fits!

David: welcome aboard...sounds like I should pack up my stuff and move to TX

Edited by scottymack 2007-05-11 7:32 AM
2007-05-11 10:47 AM
in reply to: #796627

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

David,

Welcome to our group.  Feel free to ask questions, offer advice (sounds like you will have some good running advice), etc. 

Sorry to hear about your loss.  I can't imagine how tough it would be to lose my spouse.  It sounds like triathlon has helped with the healing process.

FYI....I lived in Aberdeen, Scotland for 2 years.  I made several trips to London and other parts of England during that time. 

TJ

2007-05-12 6:50 PM

User image

Thanks TJ
Triathlon has been good for me now I want to try and be good for it. The more I take part, the more I find I have in common with other participants. I have probably learned more while setting up my first two transitions than I had in the previous 6 months. All the people around (participants and volunteers) have been great!

Over the past few months my cycling has improved beyond belief (aerobic zone up from 110 W to 210 W on a computrainer with zones set by lactate testing) but I have been struggling with my running since I switched from base building. Is that common for people new to triathlon who have come from a running background?

Oh and that brings up a lesson I learned the hard way, cycling time on a computrainer is great (gives very precise zone training) but it doesn't replace cycling on the road. My handling skills were non-existant at my first race where I didn't even make it to the aero position (in fairness I had cracked my ribs two weeks earlier when I took my tri bike on the road for the first time). Now I do all of my long workouts outdoors, but as far away from cars and trucks as I can get! I read a good article on this site about 'loving your bike'. It wasn't long ago when I would cringe to look at it, now I think it has grown on me (I have a Quintana Roo Kilo because the shop said it was the right starter bike for me and fitted it for free).

And let me know if I go on too much, I have a lot of time on my hands and spend most of it thinking about triathlons and I have nobody to talk to about them.

David
2007-05-13 8:19 PM
in reply to: #798299

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX

And let me know if I go on too much, I have a lot of time on my hands and spend most of it thinking about triathlons and I have nobody to talk to about them.

David

It is probably not possible to "go on too much" and there are definitely worse things in this world than triathlon to spend of your time thinking about and doing.

BT is THE place to go on & on at, and there are lots folks who are good listeners.

Welcome aboard...

If you've read the past threads from our group; we just kind of kick up a subject, beat it around a little and then move on. We've got some really good folks here with some down-to-earth experience.
2007-05-14 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
David,

Welcome to BT and the group. As everyone has mentioned this is a really great place and has a wealth of "real world" knowledge. You can never talk too much tri around here. I'm with you on trainer time vs road time. With two little ones, i have to spend quite a bit of time on the trainer, but I make sure to get at least one of my bike rides on the road.
Again welcome, and sorry for your loss.

jamie

2007-05-14 5:48 PM
in reply to: #798299

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina

Hey dude, welcome to BT and the group. I am the mostly silent member of the group because most of the things that these guys talk about are way above my level, but I read it all and try to pick up a few little tips here and there along the way.

Glad to have you along!

2007-05-17 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Time for a new subject...

What do y'all carry for flat repairs? Do you do something different for races and training?

I've carried nothing at times in sprints and took my chances. Typically, for a long race, I carry 2 tubes, a micro inflator (crack pipe) and (3) 12 gram CO2s.

I had a flat (rear, of course) in my Quarter Iron in April and did "OK" managing to get back on the road in ~9 minutes. Had some troubles with a faulty tube valve and getting the wheel back on the bike. Got a little "frustrated" during the process, but just had to ignore all the racers passing me on the road and concentrate on taking of care of business.

I read about and bought some Vittoria Pit Stop. If it lives up to its claims and reviews, it seems like the way to go. I'm going to leave my kit behind and carry it this weekend in my sprint.

Most times during training I just carry a cell phone. Called the wife once when I broke a spoke.

Comments?
2007-05-17 10:55 AM

User image

Jim
See below excerpt from my training log (week gone Sunday) when I used to carry 1 tube and CO2 canister. Now I carry 2 tubes and a patch kit with CO2 and spare canister for training rides (and probably races). In addition I carry Allen wrench for tri bars and cross-head screw driver for dérailleurs. I keep these in a pouch fastened to the back of my saddle It is a bit of a squeeze and I will probably put 2nd tube in bento box with my gels.

Bad things:
Two flat tires, that was incredible and meant I didn't complete my goal of 3 hour bike ride.

Good things:
Even though I missed out on planned training it gave me a chance to put into practice my fix tire drill.
And I survived two punctures!!

First repair was by the book, back wheel and I used replacement inner tube and took only 10 minutes to get going again. Encouraged because with spare tube I think I could do better than this in a race.

Second was a slow puncture in my front wheel and I was able to nurse this back to car with two inflations from my CO2 canister. Also learned to feel the affect of under inflated front tyre on ride and steering. A little bit scary on a couple of curves.

Tried to repair both inner tubes. Interesting to note the slow puncture was harder to fix. Missed hole with first patch then ended up with a slow leak again on 2nd patch. The worse inner tube was easier to fix and that is back again in my front wheel. I will plan to carry two inner tubes and repair kit on longer rides in future (not sure where I will be able to put them though).

It turned out that I had another slow puncture on my replacement tube that I found during a subsequent indoor session. This was cause by the sharp piece of wood that caused the original rear wheel puncture. In my haste to get going again I had left this in the tire!! I learned another valuable lesson: check the tire for the cause of the puncture before replacing tube.
2007-05-17 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
Training i take 2 tubes and 2 co2 cartridges and some qtrs in case i need to hit air pump. This year during races I am running tubular tires... so for my 1/2 im's I am using 1 spare tubbie and 1 can of vittoria pit stop. The sprint i just did i didnt carry anything. For olympic distance it will be pit stop only.
If i remember I believe pit stop is made for tubular tires vs clincher tires. I could be wrong.
2007-05-17 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
The review I read said it worked well for both, tubulars and clinchers. In fact, the review went on say that the product actually exceeded their expectations.

Based on that comment, I bought some.

2007-05-17 12:57 PM

User image

I had not heard of this product (Vittoria Pit Stop) before. I looked it up online and I am going to buy one. I had no idea it existed, any time I remove the rear wheel I get covered in chain lubricant and it would be worthwhile just to avoid that.

In a review I read it said it fills the tire with foam and propane gas which will leak out overnight, does this mean the tire is still serviceable if filled with air later?
2007-05-17 1:03 PM

User image

Ok I am really showing my ignorance now. I had to look up clinchers online, I hadn't heard of them before either.
Has anyone ridden on them and do they offer any advantages?
2007-05-17 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
clinchers are probably 99% of the tires used out there. there the ones that don't need glue or tape to mount them. A tubular tire is completely round vs clincher which has a bead that runs along each edge so it can hook into the clincher rim which has a lip on it to catch it. tubular's have a built in tube within the tire. thats my generic version of the two.
---
nice to know that vittoria pit stop is good for both.
2007-05-17 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/Vittoria-Pit-Stop.shtml
--
yes, it works with clinchers.... in fact the pictures are with clinchers
2007-05-17 2:08 PM

User image

Great info thanks, I have been on clinchers all the time and just didn't know it. The pit stop looks great I became paranoid about flats after suffering a triple dose of flat tires just over a week ago.

I have now learned enough about bicycles to realize that I actually know very little. And I am quite expert at exposing any vulnerabilities (loose Tribars, temperamental dérailleurs etc.), so if you know any bike suppliers looking for somebody to test their bikes I am an absolute disaster zone.

2007-05-17 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
It's always a learning experiance for me as well
2007-05-17 9:33 PM
in reply to: #805294

Hingham, MA
sorry for the radio silence - had a BIG presentation. work gets in the way sometime...
I think i was in high z2...training is paying off in many ways

I am getting the vittoria - sounds great - only question is whether 90psi is enough pressure for races. my tires go up to 110 and I ride at approx. 100. it may be fine since my mini-pump is lame and I cant get the leverage to pump it up. def need CO2.

i have had many flats...i got a sidewall when i lived in CO - after fixing 5 repeats i tore off a piece of my shirt, stuffed it in the sidewall and rode home after running out of patches.

"Experience is what you got the moment after you needed it"

Jim: btw - i carry one spare, a patch kit, 2 tire levers (had one break once) and some wishful thinking..staying away from grates, manholes, potholes and sandpiles on the side of the road helps too...

Edited by scottymack 2007-05-17 9:37 PM
2007-05-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: #805847

Hingham, MA
David: I noticed that you ride indoors periodically...if you use your road bike i would switch out your rear tire (use an old one) since the trainers trash your tires and could be a source of getting flats...

there are tires made just for trainers if you do it enough...

2007-05-18 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hey guys!  For HIM and IM I carry a spare tubular, 2 CO2 cartridges, and a tube of Tufu goop.  If I have a flat I'll try the Tufu stuff first and hopefully that fixes it.  If not, then I change the tire.  For sprints and oly I don't carry anything. 

Question: those who have tubulars, what tire pressure do you use?  My Conti's are rated to 170 psi.  I usually inflate to 140 for races. 

TJ

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10