BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-07-13 3:24 PM
in reply to: #878695

Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: zia_cyclist's Group - FULL
ok - i have a swimming question - each time i swim in the ocean i take in enough water to barf a little bit. (i grew up swimming in a lake).

Its hard to keep your mouth shut but any suggestions? Is this something that you overcome with time? I was curious what peoples experience has been (TJ@IMFL since I think that is an ocean swim...?)

Thanks again

Scott

2007-07-18 7:47 AM
in reply to: #631645

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Water in the mouth has always been an issue with me. I guess I've gotten "used to it". It's a little freaky when you think about all the weird stuff (pool, lakes, ocean, etc.) you're getting in the mouth, but it seems to be OK.

I did a race in April that was saltwater. I was worried about the effects of getting it in the mouth on a long swim (1000+ yds) but it really wasn't the issue I thought it was going to be. I've never had a problem with swallowing but I guess it could happen.

I have no advice to offer other than; it's almost impossible to keep it out, it happens and you just tolerate it for the most part.

Just another challenge we triathletes endure.
2007-07-19 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I don't have any problems with swallowing water.  I do get water in my mouth, but I can't really say that I swallow it.  Maybe I do but just don't notice it.  At IMFL I didn't have any problems with the salt water.  Actually, I really liked the IMFL swim.  Between the wetsuit and the salt water, I was floating so high the swim was easy.  I suppose if you swallowed enough salt water that it could cause problems.  I did read somewhere that if you swim in the ocean then on the bike your first intake should be plain water (instead of electrolyte drink).  The reason is that you will swallow some salt water and you need to dilute the electrolyte dense salt water that is in your stomach. 

TJ

2007-08-15 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Here's my situation...

I signed up for the Cinco Ranch sprint and they allow entry into the invitational "elite wave" based on certain qualifications; one of them being a verifiable AG win at a sanctioned race this year.

I signed up for the AG as usual, but now I'm reconsidering. I'm not "elite" and my AG win was a bit of a fluke, but this race plays to my strength; short swim (400meter), long bike (19mile) and the advantage of being in the first wave gives you a clear bike course. It will be a chance to have a little fun and be a part of something different.

Last year the 45-49 AG started in the 8th wave and we were racked at the very end of a LONG transition area. The elites are racked in a sweet spot. May be the same this year.

I won't be competitive against the real elites, but if I post a very good time relative to the 45-49 AG I feel like it won't be fair because of my advantage. I feel like competing directly against your AG is the best comparison of your skills.

I could probably email the RD and get moved to the elite wave, but I'm still debating it.

Your opinions: Stay in my AG or go with the elites?
2007-08-15 7:54 AM
in reply to: #926338

Hingham, MA
Jim: I would say go for it and take the opportunity that you earned - fluke or no fluke....

If you run with the fast pack you can fed find some fast feet on the swim. You may have to
be a little more aware of your pacing so you dont flame out early.

Scott
2007-08-15 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
I would go with it, i know next year i am thinking of doing a few of the races in the "open" division, only for the sole purpose of avoiding all the crowds in the water. By placing yourself up front you will have alot more clean space and get a true test of your speed, so i say try it out if you can

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10