BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-03-09 4:35 PM
in reply to: #631977

Subject: RE: Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL
I guess I am a little slow here. It is also getting very busy for me at work and I just found out there was a new aquasistion by the Company that is going to add even more to an already full plate. Oh well.

This is how I have been handling getting adaquate training time:
1) Run or Bike or lift in the early AM. We have a lifefitness treadmill and the bike trainer and free weights. I just have to go to bed a little early sometimes when I can snatch the early to bed time. With the time change coming up the early morning stuff will soon be taken outside.

2) Almost every day I try to make time at lunch for either my swim or some other activity. Everybody at work knows what I am doing and they allow me most days to take an hour or so at lunch to get some training in. While this does not happen everyday it does happen frequently enough for me to stay consistant and also allows for less stress through the day. I do good work and spend more than the required time at work to get things done so I have been able to get a little consideration from the people I work for. Maybe the folks you work for will give you an hour or so a day to train. Would not hurt to ask.

3) I find time to train at home if need be at night. This was something I was able to work out with the boss at home and than I make sure that the rest of my focus is on the things at the house after. Not always easy but it has allowed me to stay fairly consistant.

You guys know most of this stuff, it is just a matter of organizing or time as best we can and going with the punches. As long as the overall fitness and race goals remain in place, if somewhat refined, things will work out ok.

2007-03-13 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
I find myself grinding my teeth a lot while I am swimming. Any suggestions on hot to alleviate the problem and is anyone else experiencing this?
2007-03-13 3:22 PM
in reply to: #721551

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Ok - Friday night this week, Drink 12 beers all within an hour. Go to the roughest pub in town. Pick the biggest guy you can find and call him a puss*, I would imagine you will have no teeth to grind...........Seriously though I have never heard of this before.

Have you always done this or is this a recent thing? If it is a recent thing what has changed in terms of your action maybe it is bad habbit or form. I must admit I have been getting the worst rashes on my chest/Inside shoulder from the stubble from my chin as I try and pull my chin right in to keep my head looking down and when I turn it scrapes on my Chest.....

Good to see you back in training. I have been out for 8 days now and will try and do a cycle tonight. Must admit I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would have and know I have done a lot of work over the last few months and one week of the training isn't going to kill that.

Happy Trining all....
2007-03-13 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Never heard of grinding teeth in the pool.  How do you breath with your teeth clinched?  Sorry, no advice on this one.

James, don't worry about the week off, you'll get right back to it.  It'll take a day or two to feel normal in workouts again, but it'll come back.

2007-03-13 3:41 PM
in reply to: #721690

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hey Adam - Thxs.

To be honest I have really enjoyed the week off training......Only thing that Pi*sed me off was missing my running race on Sunday I was really set to run a fast time.

Being sick hasn't been fun but I haven't eaten jack so I reckon I am probably under 195lbs now. The weight loss has become very noticeable now and I even have people who see me everyday commenting on it. I am 6'3 and big boned so at approx 195lbs I am actually quiet slim now. The icing on the cake was putting on a pair of 34 inch Levi 501's I haven't fit since 2001 and finding they fit me perfectly.

My primary goal when I started back training in September was to drop from 215lbs -> 190lbs, and get my alchole consumption under control. Almost there and it feels good.......The triathlon bit is and added bonus.
2007-03-13 4:36 PM
in reply to: #721718

User image

Expert
Denver

If your advice to AJ about suckin down a twelve pack and starting bar fights has anything to do with trying to get your alcohol consumption under control, I can certainly see why now!

All kidding aside, good job on staying consistent and hitting (or getting close to hitting) your goals. And of course now that you're near there, keep doing the same things so you don't let your fitness (and goals) slip away.

2007-03-13 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
I have been breathing out thru my nose. Is this incorrect? I don't know how long I have been doing it, just realized it yesterday.
2007-03-13 5:00 PM
in reply to: #721818

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

ajfoster02 - 2007-03-13 3:50 PM I have been breathing out thru my nose. Is this incorrect? I don't know how long I have been doing it, just realized it yesterday.

That's perfect, but what about breathing in when you turn your head, don't you have to unclench your teeth for that?

2007-03-14 6:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Yeah I do open my mouth when I come up for air, its just when my head is back in the water I lock my teeth up. I guess I will just see what happens today.  Another note guys, my wife ordered me a tri suit for my birthday and it came in yesterday. I had her order a large Louis Garneau suit because I was guestimating where I would be weight wise when the race comes around. I noticed they do have a lot of stretch in them as I tried it on yesterday. I was wondering from the guys who have worn them before how tight are they supposed to be? Just wearing the large yesterday made me feel like the large would be too big on me once I lose another 15 lbs. Any advice on fitting or what not would be appreciated. Thanks.
2007-03-14 7:50 AM
in reply to: #722134

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hey AJ - I think you are right, given you are going to lose more weight, IMO you should maybe take it back and get a store credit.......and then wait until a couple of weeks before your first tri in June and then see if you get into a medium which I think you would easily do if you get to your 180lb weight.

Given you don't need the suit until you actually race you have time to wait. These things are expensive so makes sense you get one that will fit your for multiple races....

2007-03-14 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

I've never worn the one peice suit, but I wear the shorts and tri top super tight.  I wear everything underneath my wetsuit for the swim, so it has to fit very tight and not get in the way when I'm pulling the wetsuit off.  Then again, you don't want something so tight that it chafes.  So yeah, I say wait until you're down to race weight and see what fits and what you're comfortable in.

On the chafing thing, also buy some bodyglide before the race to help grease up the armpits, legs, spots where your top or shorts might chafe - hell, just take a bath in that stuff!  James, bodyglide will also help with that chin chafing in the pool - just put some on your shoulder before getting in to do the workout.

2007-03-26 10:32 AM

User image

What a screwed up month March has been: inventory, new work assignments, wife started new job, foot injury .... March has definatly sucked for me. On the bright side though I have been able to maintain some form of training. I have not been able to track any of it on the training log just for the fact of time constraints. I have had to modify my schedule a bit with my wife working ( for example my swim days are now on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays). If anything I feel as if my time spent training has been of higher quality.

I will try to get back in the swing of updating my training log this week
2007-03-26 10:37 AM
in reply to: #736915

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Welcome back, I thought we had lost you forever.  I was about to start calling "man down, man down!"  Glad to hear things are coming around and you got some training in.

So is the foot healed up?  What did the Doc have to say?

2007-03-26 11:00 AM

User image

The foot is healed completely, nothing more than a bruise according to the company doctor ( I am a cheap bastard).

Surprisingly every thing feels good right now, I even feel a little ( dare I say it) faster. I think a large part of that is that the weather has finally turned and spring is here. It is so much more enjoyable to get out and train when the weather is above the freezing mark.
2007-03-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: #736962

User image

Expert
Denver

westwoodrnr - 2007-03-26 10:00 AM The foot is healed completely, nothing more than a bruise according to the company doctor ( I am a cheap bastard). Surprisingly every thing feels good right now, I even feel a little ( dare I say it) faster. I think a large part of that is that the weather has finally turned and spring is here. It is so much more enjoyable to get out and train when the weather is above the freezing mark.

Glad to see you back and what sounds like refreshed as well despite the chaos. I think Keith's the only one of us lucky enough to enjoy the nice weather all the time, but it definitely does help with attitude and wanting to get out there and train. Hopefully the weather will turn for AJ and James too!

With March coming to a close, does anyone have specific goals, thoughts, or questions for April? Races aren't all that far away, so whether it's related to training, taper, performance, etc.? Training or racing goals?

2007-03-28 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Denver

Thought this might be an appropriate and worthwhile article to share regarding nutrition for before longer training days. It focuses on cycling, but I'm sure it applies largely to most of the big workouts.

http://www.velonews.com/train/articles/11948.0.html

2007-03-30 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

Ryan,

Thanks for the good article. I printed it out and am going to post it on my fridge. How is everyone making out? I feel like I am still doing well with the couple road bumps here and there. Hoping to get some good training in this weekend.

2007-03-30 10:11 AM
in reply to: #742947

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Yeah, great article.  Everyone should be coming up on some longer rides here pretty soon, and proper fueling is critical to get the most out of training and also to prepare your body to eat on race day.

I feel like my training is going well, but I also feel like I have a sort of deadline to train.  I'm pushing hard until the kid gets here, and then it is anybody's guess. 

Everyone is looking good and I like to see that our group has gotten good at managing the bumps in the road.  This sport isn't about perfection and 100% success rate, it's about doing the best we can with limited resources and time (or at least, for us mere mortals that's what it's about).  Or as one of the coaches said in the most recent edition of the USA Tri magazine, the guy who can finish an Ironman with a full time job and kids at home is a whole lot more impressive, in many ways, than the pros out there knocking it out with no obligations in life but training. 

2007-04-02 9:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hi - My Duathlon Race Report is up if anyone would like to read it.

Cheers All.

JG
2007-04-02 9:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hi - My Duathlon Race Report is up if anyone would like to read it.

Cheers All.

JG
2007-04-04 4:36 AM

User image

Congrats to all of you who have stayed on track and kept your training consistant over the past 4 months. If your like me and life has kind of gotten in the way just a take some time over the long weekend and refocus and recommitt to yourself and your training. This is an ideal time to do take a big inner look at yourself and get back on track. ( okay enough preaching).

I have a coulpe of questions:
1) I will be vacationing in the St. Pete Beach area May 24-29 and want to try and hook up with a group or ? to get some training in. Does anybody here have a contact in the St. Pete Beach area.

2) I am steadily making my plans to run the Grand Canyon this fall. Has anyone here done it or know someone who has? Does anyone want to go? I would like to put together a group of 4 people to run with, right now I have a verbal committment from 1 other individual. Does anyone know where I can find info on running the Canyon - I have done a ton of web searches and there is not alot out there.

With the crazy weather that has hit Indiana again --- Ridin' the storm out, waiting for the fallout ....

2007-04-05 10:12 AM
in reply to: #748171

User image

Expert
Denver
I can't help you out at all on the second question, and probably not much help on the first. However, for the first I'd suggest posting a note in the Florida Forum at the very bottom of the page to see if anyone in the area is interested, or knows of good places to ride/run/swim. Actually, you may want to do something similar for the second question as well, but put it in one of the main forums. Just a thought.
2007-04-05 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Yeah, unfortunately, I'm no realy help on this one either.  I would think that you could find some runners for the Grand Canyon without too much trouble though.  Can you post on the race website?
2007-04-07 6:25 PM

User image

Well the Grand Canyon run is a bust ( that sucks!!). I called to check on lodging and they are booked solid the entire month for Sept, Oct, and Nov. I am going to have to take a look at doing the run in the spring of 2008. With that in mind I still want to do an epic type run or ride this fall, any suggestions?

My wife is wanting to purchase a new road bike and she has narrowed it down to a list of about 4. Throw out some comments on them to help her with her decision.

1) Trek Madone 5.0 WSD
2) Felt FW3
3) Orbea Aspin
4) Specialized Dolce

2007-04-17 9:02 PM

Hello Boys
Remember me. I fell off of the map for a while but have been able to get some sort of refocus here. I simply remembered that the reason I ended up in the shape I'm in is because I lost focus several years ago. I will not allow that to happen again. I only work because I am not wealthy, not because I really want to. That being said I always do the best I can at work.

Glad to see everyone is surviving.

On the bike issue,
I do not know enough to give you any suggestions, however I just bought a LaMond and am very happy with that for a road bike. My Wife just bought a Trek which she is very happy with. No real help there.

Good luck to all and keep it up. Good luck to Adam, he's going to need it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11