BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2006-12-22 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL

NAME: Username - Gearwhore; real name - Adam

STORY: Husband, professional, and about to become a Dad in April '07, I'm not so sure that I shouldn't be looking for a mentor who has managed to continue training and racing after having kids.  I was an age group swimmer as a kid, and returned to the pool a couple of years ago to get back in shape and lose weight.  From there, my wife and I started doing a little cycling, and I realized that I could compete in a short triathlon with just a little bit of run training.  Did my first sprint triathlon in 2005, and I've been completely hooked ever since.  I've been an athlete my whole life, but nothing has ever been as challenging or interesting as racing triathlon.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with first child (baby girl) due April 22nd.  Oh yeah, and two very rambunctious labrador retrievers.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently getting ready for the Rock & Roll Marathon (my first mary) in Tempe on January 14, 2007.  Entering my 3rd season of triathlon racing in 2007, with formal training for triathlon starting immediately after the marathon.  I have a highly structured plan from a coach (including strength training), and my main focus is and has been since the beginning to maintain a very high level of consistency.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2 Sprints, 2 Olympics (including USAT Age Group Nationals), 1 Half Ironman, 7 biking time trials, 3 running races (5K and 10K), and 5 Aquathons (swim/run).

2007 RACES:  Rock & Roll Mary, January 14th; BolderBoulder 10K, Memorial Day; 5430 Sprint Triathlon in June; Triple Bypass (biking event covering 3 mountain passes and 120 miles in Colorado) in July; Boulder Peak Triathlon in July; 5430 Long Course Half Ironman in August; possibly Tucson Mary (to qualify for Boston) in December.  Looking to compete in an Ironman distance race in '08.

WEIGHTLOSS: Beginning just before my first season of triathlon in the Spring of 2005, I weighed 200 lbs.  From then to the end of last season, I dropped over 40 lbs to get down to a racing weight of 157 lbs (nearly 18 months later).  I'm currently hovering around 165 after my off-season, with a race weight goal of 155 +/- 3 lbs for the 2007 season. 

Edited by Gearwhore 2007-01-12 2:42 PM

2006-12-27 4:50 PM
in reply to: #631977

New user

Subject: RE: Gearwhore's Group - Open
hey Adam,

I am 26 and live in chicago and I think I am a gearwhore too Have still to do a single triathlon yet. I have been training since the past 2 months. Kinda let myself go for the past 3 weeks. My strongest phase is running, then biking and then swimming. I just learnt how to swim couple of months ago.

Still don't know how to swim well, but hope to be ready for a sprint this summer.

I would like to join your group.

Thanks.

Edited by hkdanalyser 2006-12-27 4:51 PM
2006-12-27 5:23 PM
in reply to: #634515

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Welcome!  First member to the group (except me, of course)!  What should I call you - HK?

December is a good time to take it easy on the training and focus on friends, family, the holidays, etc., so don't sweat taking a little time off this month.  January is a good time to get back on the horse and start really focusing on building base for the upcoming season. 

Do you have a race targeted for early next season (or a race schedule built)?  Nothing motivates better a race on the horizon.

Also (sorry for the long post), have you considered logging your training in BT?  I'm probably most helpful if I can see what kind of training you're getting in and how things are going with you as far as motivation, etc. 

Okay, happy training and I'll chat with you soon.

2006-12-27 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Adam,

If you still have room open I would like to join your group for mentoring. You sound like a pretty decent guy who can guide me to my goals.

NAME: Username - AJFoster02, real name A.J. Foster

STORY: Basically I am a guy who stays fairly active. I work for a construction management company as a controler. I live in Media Pennsylvania (just outside of Philadelphia). I have been going to the gym off and on for over a year now and also play inline hockey on the side. Back in February I did the body for life challenge and went from a weight of 217 to 188 in 12 weeks and felt great. Shortly after that my company had a shut down at an oil refinery and I ended up having to work 14 hour days 7 days a week for about 5 months. Needless to say I gained every single pound back since I couldnt get to the gym and ate poorly. About two months ago I started back strong for about 3 weeks losing a total of 12 pounds but again gained it back with all of the holiday stuff and haven't been to the gym in about three weeks. I am ready to start to get to what my original goal is of weighing 185lbs.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for just over a year and a half. No children yet but we have a beagle, a chocolate lab, and a rat terrier.

CURRENT TRAINING: My training has been pretty plain. I do a lot of eliptical trainer anywhere from 20 mins to 40 mins each day. I ride my bicycle on a trainer in my house but havent spent much time on that. I think the most I have done is 20 mins. I also have swam a couple times in my grandmothers endless pool. I have all the tools needed to do this, I just need to get my butt with the program. I am pretty good with sticking to my training routine but I really need to work on staying to a balanced diet.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: The only thing I really did last year was two 5K runs.

2007 RACES: I have had a dream of competing in a triathlon so I registered myself for the 2007 Philadelphia Triathlon. I am registered under the olympic distance and I know it is going to be tough but I know I can do it. I already have the 20 week program 3x's a week selected and I will begin that February 5th to line up with the actual triathlon. From now until then I want to try to shed a bunch of weight and work on my endurance.

WEIGHTLOSS: It's all written above but basically I am now 215. By February 5th I would like to be at least 195-200lbs. My goal weight is 185 but if I could actually pull it off I would like to be between 175 and 180 for the actual race.
2006-12-27 7:26 PM
in reply to: #634681

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

AJ -

Plenty of room in the group, and welcome.  I play ice hockey on the side, so we have some hockey in common there too, and don't give that up for triathlon (if you can manage both).  I think it's nice to have a team sport going while you're training for an individual sport.  Flyers fan?  Sorry about Forsberg, I'm an Avs fan and sorry to see him go, but he's turning into a constant injury liability for you guys this year.

Thanks for the bio, that was really helpful.  Sounds like you have a good start and the right attitude about tackling tris.  Are you registered for the Philadelphia Insurance Oly on June 22nd?  That's what came up first when I googled.

On the weight loss thing, I've done Body for Life in the past too.  I liked it, and the 5 meal a day thing is great for losing weight, but a little difficult to manage for a busy professional like you and me.  I have adopted and maintained the "free" day from Body for Life though, I like having that one day/week when I can eat whatever I want.  I think the BFL plan is a little heavy on protein for an endurance athlete, and I think you'll find that carbs are your friend when you start doing some longer workouts, but that's natural since BFL is really more for body-building and strength.  Anyway, we can talk diet and nutrition more in the next couple months, and the point is really that I'm sure you can hit your weight targets by race season with no problem.  Alright, sorry for rambling, more later. 

Happy training.

2006-12-28 6:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
I was definitely planning on keeping up with the hockey. Our new season starts January 2nd so my dues are already paid. I guess I can just think of it as additional cardio time? Yes I am a die hard Flyers fan even though they are posting the worst record in the NHL now... NOT EVEN 10 WINS!!!! Forsberg played last night but you can defintiely tell he isn't what he used to be. Its a shame because he could definitely put in another solid 4-5 years.

I already registered for the olympic distance tri and the actual race is on June 24th. If you want to take in all of the information you can go to www.phillytri.com and get it there. Do you think 6 months time is going to be enough to be able to do the olympic distance? I personally do but then again I have never done anything like this so I really do not know.

Back when I did the body for life I altered their whole meal plan to what I felt comfortable with. I was originally interested in just losing a bunch of weight and getting a lean muscle mass. I did the six small meals a day but kept my calorie count low. For example I would have a egg white omlette in the morning with two slices of turkey bacon. A banana around 9:30am, a soup or sandwich with an apple for lunch, a yogurt and fresh fruit in the afternoon, a sensible dinner just smaller portions than normal, and most nights I skipped the late night snack. I do realize I need to take in more carbs and at the same time I need to balance my calories in vs. calories out because I need to cut a good deal of weight off but at the same time I do not want to drive myself into the ground. Do you have any good examples of a meal plan you may follow? One of the big problems is that I am a picky eater as well and I do not eat sea food.

Well hopefully I will get my sorry butt either to the gym or endless pool tonight. I have been battling a pretty bad cold since xmas eve and have been moping around since.

Thanks again.

2006-12-28 7:13 AM
in reply to: #634583

New user

hey,
Thanks for the advice. No races targeted yet. I looked up races, but I haven't found something suitable yet. I want to do it around April / May, but the latest I could find around me was in July.

I will start logging the training in BT from now on. Seems like we have more members now. Should I say thanks to me

Talk to you soon.
2006-12-28 9:46 AM
in reply to: #634919

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

ajfoster02 - 2006-12-28 5:38 AM I was definitely planning on keeping up with the hockey. Our new season starts January 2nd so my dues are already paid. I guess I can just think of it as additional cardio time? Do you think 6 months time is going to be enough to be able to do the olympic distance?

Yeah, ice is a decent cardio workout, but as you get deeper into your training you'll find that it doesn't make a huge difference.  This sport, well really all training, is about specificity.  If you want to be good at swim/bike/run, then you have to swim/bike/run.  I just play hockey as a fun thing, to hang out with the guys and have a beer after the game, and scratch the competitive itch. 

One thing you have to realize about triathlon is that it's 99% training and 1% racing.  We all do 400 workouts to get ready for 1 race, and you can start getting a little stir crazy in the spring to race.  That's why I say, especially for anyone who has been an athlete, try to keep up another sport where you compete more frequently if you have time in your schedule.  It takes the edge off that antsy feeling that you just want to race.

6 months is definitely enough time to get ready for an Oly.  No question.  The only thing I will harp on, which I mentioned in my bio, is that consistency is paramount.  It's more important to train 6 days/week at an easy pace than it is to train really hard 3 days/week, and it's more important to get in some of your workouts all of the time than all of the workouts some of the time.  Life gets in the way and everyone misses workouts, don't get me wrong, but you will see HUGE results if you just stick to the plan and get the workouts done.

2006-12-28 9:51 AM
in reply to: #634940

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

hkdanalyser - 2006-12-28 6:13 AM hey, Thanks for the advice. No races targeted yet. I looked up races, but I haven't found something suitable yet. I want to do it around April / May, but the latest I could find around me was in July. I will start logging the training in BT from now on. Seems like we have more members now. Should I say thanks to me Talk to you soon.

Thanks HK!  Yeah, once someone trusts you enough to sign on, then it's easier for a second, third . . . .

Maybe do a running race early season?  Last season I did a 5K and some biking time trials really early in the season.  Kept me fresh mentally and gave me something to train for.  But start swimming, that's always the thing new triathletes are worried about, and now is a great time to get in the pool and work technique and basic endurance.  A month of focusing on swimming will pay big dividends next summer.

2006-12-28 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
I definitely work well with the two a days six days a week and having sunday off to rest. Once I get in that groove I am good to go. It does seem nice to get away for that couple of hours and have a good time with the boys playing hockey. What is your opinion on alcohol consumption? I cut it out completely while doing the BFL but it almost drove me to insanity not being able to have at least one beer while hanging out with friends/family. Setting goals on the olympic distance and having six months to do it, should I be looking to place well in the first timer category considering I stick with all of my training and the 20 week program?
2006-12-28 10:03 AM
in reply to: #635050

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

ajfoster02 - 2006-12-28 8:54 AM I definitely work well with the two a days six days a week and having sunday off to rest. Once I get in that groove I am good to go. It does seem nice to get away for that couple of hours and have a good time with the boys playing hockey. What is your opinion on alcohol consumption? I cut it out completely while doing the BFL but it almost drove me to insanity not being able to have at least one beer while hanging out with friends/family. Setting goals on the olympic distance and having six months to do it, should I be looking to place well in the first timer category considering I stick with all of my training and the 20 week program?

My weight loss success had a lot to do with moderation, not abstention.  I think that depriving yourself of everything just makes you want it more, and alcohol is the prime example.  So my thing is just to go out after hockey and have 1-2 beers instead of 4-5 (or more, my team drinks heavily).  It takes a little will power, but not as much as sitting there with your buddies calling you a sissy for drinking coke while they swill beers.  And let's face it, none of us are getting paid to race, so don't stop everything about your life just because you're training for tris.  If you have a great summer, race really well, love triathlon and want to see how far you can take the sport, you can revisit whether cutting out beer completely is a priority for you (but it's not for me).

Don't know enough about your pace right now to say whether you could place highly in the newbie division.  My guess is probably so, since most beginners don't work on a structured program and don't train very consistently, but without knowing more it's hard to say.  I'll check out the results from past races.

2006-12-28 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

AJ - I don't see anything on the Philly Tri website about first timer results/awards. 

More on diet/nutrition: I'm not much of a meal plan guy.  I read a lot to try and educate myself on the issue, and then just try to use common sense.  I eat 5 or 6 times a day, all the fruits and veggies I want, and try to cut out obviously bad food (no soda, no french fries, very little or no fast food, limited sweets).  But again, all things in moderation - I drink a beer after hockey, eat sweets on ocassion, I love Mexican food and eat that pretty regularly.  I also keep good basic snacks at work like instant oatmeal, granola bars, kashi bars (all easy/cheap stuff at Sam's Club), and then I bring in fruit to round out the snacks.  I also find that bringing leftovers or making sandwiches to work is healthier and cheaper than eating out a lot, restaurant portions are HUGE, and it's too difficult for me to exercise self control faced with a heaping plate full of food.  Lastly, I try to remove a lot of temptations at home.  I know that a bag of chips in the pantry will be devoured in one sitting, so we just don't have them around.  Beyond that, I try to listen to my body, eat healthy snacks when I'm hungry, and make good choices most of the time. 

If you're a reader and want to look into this more, I would check out Carmichael's (Lance's coach) book on nutrition for endurance athletes, which includes meal plans.  Like I said, I don't use the meal plans, but the information was very useful.

2006-12-29 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
2006-12-29 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

AJ asked a Q about supplements in my log, so here are my thoughts (and you can look around the forums to find MUCH more):

I take a multi-vitamin because I think that no matter how well rounded your diet is, short of having a personal chef, it is difficult to get all of your nutrients all of the time. I put a lot of demands on my body with training, and while I can't say for sure that I deplete basic nutrients at a more rapid pace, or that a multi vitamin has in any way protected me or made me a better athlete, I just like taking the multi and forgetting about it.  So, I personally believe that the easiest way to ensure that I'm not being shorted on any of the fundamentals is to simply take a quality multi-vitamin.  I use the GNC Men's Mega, but there are a lot of good ones out there.  Some people will tell you GNC is the best, others will say it's crap, I have no strong opinion and could be convinced to use a different multi, I just haven't been convinced yet.

I also take 500 mg of Vitamin C and 400 IUs of Vitamin E daily.  Both are proven anti-oxidants, and with the constant physical trauma of training, I think my body could use a little assistance clearing out the junk.  Plus, Joe Friel endorses these two in the Training Bible, and I trust most of what Friel has to say about training, nutrition and supplements.

Fish oils - Right now, I'm experiementing with Omega-3s.  Supposed to be good for the heart and have some natural anti-inflammatory properties.  I have a long history in my family of heart disease, so I thought I would give this a shot.  I don't know if I'll stick with this or not.

Lastly, I take Glucosamine Chondroitan.  I had arthroscopic knee surgery last year and want to help my joints in any way possible.  I'm not 100% convinced that I'm doing that with this supplement, but I feel like this is good insurance for not much money.

Here are some I have tried and rejected:

Aminos - I think this is important for a bodybuilder who is tapping the very last bit of fuel in the muscles to produce extremely forceful contractions.  Not so much for an endurance athlete, and I never noticed a difference using amino acids.  Amino Vitale is the product I used, and they claim it will give you more energy before and particularly during a workout.  I didn't find that to be true, and my (admittedly limited) reading indicates that aminos are a relatively insignificant source of fuel for the endurance athlete, and don't appreciably speed muscle growth or recovery for endurance athletes.

Creatine - Before triathlon, I used this supplement when weight-lifting.  I noticed a marked strength gain when trying to max out my bench press, but I think it is of no utility for an endurance athlete.  Again, this is a good supplement for someone trying to get that last 5% of force in a strength workout, and endurance athletes NEVER need that.  Okay, perhaps in the final sprint to the finish line, but if you're training is focused on the final kick, you're a LOT farther along on the training curve than I am, and I think that type of training is largely a waste of time for the age group athlete.  I'm not even sure the pros would bother with that type of training, and this supplement is largely ignored by the endurance community.

Milk-protein anti-inflammatory - I experiemented with a product last year that is a micro-nutrient from milk (sorry, can't remember the name).  Supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties, which I thought would help speed recovery.  It made no noticeable difference.

Green Tea extract - my wife was taking this for a while, so I gave it a shot.  I think the basic premise is that the extracts contain anti-oxidants, but I'm already loaded up on that front.

Echinacea - Supposed to help you avoid getting sick.  I stopped taking it about 6 months ago and haven't noticed any difference.  I think the best strategy to avoid getting sick is to get a flu shot, get plenty of rest, and wash your hands a lot (seriously).  With those basic strategies, this is probably a waste of money.

Other random performance enhancers - there are all sorts of potions and pills out there that you can try.  I have a friend who used to work for EAS, now runs his own company, and he designs supplements.  I would never tell him this, but I think some of the things they come up with are just ridiculous.  Some of the weed extracts in particular are just laughable.  And keep in mind, many, if not most, of the supplements on the market are for strength training, which has very little practical value for an endurance athlete.

A final note - as with everything, these are just my opinions based on my experiences over the last couple of years.  You should check out the BT forums, the internet, publications, and experiment on your own to find out what you like and what you think is necessary.  I've done my own reading, and I'm happy where I'm at with things, but I am by no means an expert.

2006-12-29 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Thanks for the opinions... As for the GNC thing I agree there generally isn't much difference between them and the vitamin shope but GNC screwed me out of about $50 so I just use VS out of spite!

Any experience with L-Glutamine or HMB? I am guessing the HMB would fall into the category of strength training and most likely not needed. Not too sure about the L-Glutamine.
2006-12-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: #636822

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

ajfoster02 - 2006-12-29 2:43 PM Thanks for the opinions... As for the GNC thing I agree there generally isn't much difference between them and the vitamin shope but GNC screwed me out of about $50 so I just use VS out of spite! Any experience with L-Glutamine or HMB? I am guessing the HMB would fall into the category of strength training and most likely not needed. Not too sure about the L-Glutamine.

No experience with either.  Do a search in the "search forums" function and see what you come up with.  There are a few guys on here pretty into both supplements and strength training, and they may have posted a thread.

2006-12-31 8:59 AM

Hey guys I would like to play too.
My user name is Whoopekats and my real name is Fred.

A little about me: I am 50 yrs. old ( untill next month) and have been married for 20 years. Shelly is a wonderful lady and unlike me has maintained her fitness and is still running and lifting almost daily. We have one daughter who is 16 and driving (AAHH!!). Also have a pack of dogs which include a lab, a basset hound and a hot dog, a couple of cats, fish etc. I have also spent the last 2+ years learn to play guitar.

I use to swim a lot as a kid, in fact I learned to swim before I was 5, my mom was a swim instructor. I spent a lot of time playing football as a kid and did some distance running on the track team but was not built for speed. I was built for hitting so football was my main thing. I went into the Marines in the early '70's and went from 150lbs to a tight lean 175 lbs in 3 months. Went to college after and ran 5-6 miles a day and found a tri. class that was offered. Unfortunatly they dropped the class after about 6 weeks because there was not enough intrest. This was in the early 80's. I also did a lot of weight lifting at one time. To make a long story short I left school early, drove truck for many years and turned into a big boy. I am currently managing a new truck division but still have my dream to compete in and complete a triathlon.

I am dealing with some health issues but refuse to use them as an excuse any longer, I have a back issue which is the result of driving and weight but is easily controlled with wt. loss and proper exercise (duh) and I also am dealing with asthma. This is also not a major issue, just one that I have allowed to influence my behavior over the last 15 years. Doctor has told me to get going and do this.

My current plans for racing this year is to do the Glenwood Springs triathlon in Sept. as well as run in the Strawberry Days 5k in June I believe. I am waiting to see if they are running the Highline Hustle in Grand Junction in June because I would like to do that as my 1st and considering the Aspen Sprint in Agust. These are all Sprint distances. My wife and I are also planning on climbing our 1st 14er this year here in Colorado. I do not know which one yet, research is ongonig but we just want to do it right.

Weight loss is on of my main reasons for doing this as well as getting comfortable in my own skin again. I am weighting between 245 and 250 right now an am done with that. I am doing Michael Pates Program because it seems to fit the condition I am in at this point. My goal is to get back down to the 175 lb range. A might mission but one I will achieve.

After my book, if there is a slot for me Adam I would also like in.
2006-12-31 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Hey Frank,

Welcome to BT. It sounds like you will fit well into Adams group. It will be great to associate with people who are getting into this all at the same time for the first time with the guidance from Adam and some of his friends... they have all offered great advice so far and its going to be a great experience doing this!
2006-12-31 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Fred -

Welcome to the group!  Looks like you must be in Colorado, which is a great place to live and train, and I think a very easy place to get involved in sports and lead a healthy lifestyle.  Plus, I've had really good luck finding training partners and groups here in Colorado, which makes training easier and more fun.   

I think you have some really solid and manageable goals, and I'm sure you can successfully complete that triathlon goal next summer.  The weight loss thing will be much easier with training for a triathlon too. 

One thing I would encourage up front, if you can manage the expense, is a heart rate monitor.  One of the most important aspects of training is to manage your intensity and train at the proper effort level.  Too often, especially with "beginners" (even though you're not a true beginner, you have lots of background), athletes get overly excited about training and go out and kill themselves in every workout.  The key to success in triathlon, especially when you're just starting out, is to be VERY consistent about your workouts while keeping everything at a moderate pace.  Moderating your intensity prevents overtraining, keeps your motivation high, builds fitness quickly, and allows you to see a lot of fitness and performance gains relatively quickly.  Training at really high intensity is great for building speed, but initially you're just looking to build a strong aerobic engine, and that is most effectively done at a moderate intensity.

Anyway, welcome, happy training, and feel free to post questions and comments here or in my log.  I'm a training geek and love to talk about this stuff.  Even if I don't have the answer right away, I'm happy looking for the answer and learning something myself.

Edited by Gearwhore 2006-12-31 10:02 AM
2007-01-01 12:48 PM

User image

If you have room I would like to become part of your training group.

STORY: I am 38 years old and am addicted to training. I have been running for 22 years ( maybe not the entire year every year but I have ran every year). I have been riding about 10 year with some of those years being pretty consistant. Just recently I have become obsessed with riding my mountain bike. The swim is my WEAK spot. Basically I can survive and that is about it. I have never really been taught how to swim properly ( one of my 2007 goals). I am currently a member of and Adventure Racing team in Indiana and am really looking forward to the upcoming race season.

FAMILY: Married to a wonderful woman for 17 years. I have one son who is 5 and loves to hang with dad

CURRENT TRAINING: I have not been following any structured program. I more less go by feel. Some days I run and ride some day maybe just a run or ride. I do try to lift at least 4 days a week ( trying to develop some much needed muscle tone). NOTE: the absence of swimming!

LAST YEARS RACES: I competed in the DINO trail run and mountian bike series this past year. I finished 8th overall in the run series and won my AG. I did 2 XTERRA triathlons ( kayak, run, mtb) and finished 8th and 4th overall. I also competed in several trail runs form 5K to the 1/2 marathon distance.

2007 RACE: My "A" race will be the Muncie Endurathon ( 1/2 IM) in July. I also will be doing the entire DINO series ( trail run, mtb race, and triathlons) this year. I will also be competeing in 3-5 adventure races from the sprint 6 hour length to 24 hour races.

BIG GOALS: To finish a 1/2 IM in 2007, do a Rim2Rim2Rim run of the Grand Canyon in 2007. My ultimate goal is to do a full IM in 2008 ( I have alwasy told myself I am going to do a full IM by the time I am 40).

LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST WITH THE ONES YOU LOVE THE MOST!!!!!
2007-01-01 1:26 PM
in reply to: #638379

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

westwoodrnr - 2007-01-01 11:48 AM If you have room I would like to become part of your training group. STORY: I am 38 years old and am addicted to training. I have been running for 22 years ( maybe not the entire year every year but I have ran every year). I have been riding about 10 year with some of those years being pretty consistant. Just recently I have become obsessed with riding my mountain bike. The swim is my WEAK spot. Basically I can survive and that is about it. I have never really been taught how to swim properly ( one of my 2007 goals). I am currently a member of and Adventure Racing team in Indiana and am really looking forward to the upcoming race season. FAMILY: Married to a wonderful woman for 17 years. I have one son who is 5 and loves to hang with dad CURRENT TRAINING: I have not been following any structured program. I more less go by feel. Some days I run and ride some day maybe just a run or ride. I do try to lift at least 4 days a week ( trying to develop some much needed muscle tone). NOTE: the absence of swimming! LAST YEARS RACES: I competed in the DINO trail run and mountian bike series this past year. I finished 8th overall in the run series and won my AG. I did 2 XTERRA triathlons ( kayak, run, mtb) and finished 8th and 4th overall. I also competed in several trail runs form 5K to the 1/2 marathon distance. 2007 RACE: My "A" race will be the Muncie Endurathon ( 1/2 IM) in July. I also will be doing the entire DINO series ( trail run, mtb race, and triathlons) this year. I will also be competeing in 3-5 adventure races from the sprint 6 hour length to 24 hour races. BIG GOALS: To finish a 1/2 IM in 2007, do a Rim2Rim2Rim run of the Grand Canyon in 2007. My ultimate goal is to do a full IM in 2008 ( I have alwasy told myself I am going to do a full IM by the time I am 40). LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST WITH THE ONES YOU LOVE THE MOST!!!!!

Welcome to the group, we definitely have room for another (in fact, we have room for still one more if any of you viewing this post want to take the last spot).  You don't have to post a real name, but what should we call you for short?  How 'bout Woody for now?

I grew up in Indiana, and I've considered going home to do the Muncie endurathon.  Sounds like a pretty good race, and a great goal for you to tackle this year.  I'm also considering an '08 IM, so we can compare some notes on that.  Any thoughts on which one yet?  I'm considering Florida or Wisconsin, but I don't want to commit until baby gets here and we see how life changes.  I could do it in '08 or push it a couple of years, we'll see.

Anyway, I think I can help with the swimming questions, having been a competitive swimmer.  You can also feel free to ask questions about training for the half, since I'll be training for my second half ironman this summer.  On that note, you guys should also know that you can go to my page, hit "races" under my profile, and go back and read my race reports.  They will at least give you some ideas of how I prepared for my races, how I felt during the race, etc.  And then, of course, we can use this forum to chat about anything you're interested in.

So, Woody, welcome to the group, happy new year, and happy training!

2007-01-01 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu,

Edited by adameldridge 2007-01-01 4:38 PM
2007-01-01 4:12 PM

User image

San Clemente, CA
Adam,
If you still have room in your group I would love to join.

I am 37 years old living in Southern California and fairly active. I have been a 2 year member of the local outrigger canoe club. Winter months I try and stay active paddling a surfski (ocean race kayak). Outrigging taught me I could do what I did not think my body was capable of doing. Before paddling I had never been a long distance type athlete. As a kid I ran a few 10k's with my dad. I surf and have always swam well, but never for distance. As far as the bike goes, it was my transportation to and from school in high school and college (as well as the occasional bar-cycle). Over the last 10 years the gym has been my most consistant type of exercise but the last 2 years I have been in and out without much consistancy.

Problem- getting older and harder to lose weight. Back is starting to act up when I am not in the gym streching on a daily basis.

Solution- old high school friend introduced me to the idea of a triathalon. This was coming from a friend who never ran or biked before in her life. Her first triathalon is in Feb 07. This gave me the motivation to commit. Im ready and anxious to learn.

Current training- Paddling 60 minutes 3x/week. (great cardio). Surf when I can. Lately not at all.

Weight loss goals- College Weight 185 lbs Current Weight 215 lbs

Race Goals- sprint (possibly Olympic) triathalon in May of 07. (Wild Flower- Lake Naciemento)

2007-01-01 4:44 PM
in reply to: #638472

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

keith slattery - 2007-01-01 3:12 PM Adam, If you still have room in your group I would love to join. I am 37 years old living in Southern California and fairly active. I have been a 2 year member of the local outrigger canoe club. Winter months I try and stay active paddling a surfski (ocean race kayak). Outrigging taught me I could do what I did not think my body was capable of doing. Before paddling I had never been a long distance type athlete. As a kid I ran a few 10k's with my dad. I surf and have always swam well, but never for distance. As far as the bike goes, it was my transportation to and from school in high school and college (as well as the occasional bar-cycle). Over the last 10 years the gym has been my most consistant type of exercise but the last 2 years I have been in and out without much consistancy. Problem- getting older and harder to lose weight. Back is starting to act up when I am not in the gym streching on a daily basis. Solution- old high school friend introduced me to the idea of a triathalon. This was coming from a friend who never ran or biked before in her life. Her first triathalon is in Feb 07. This gave me the motivation to commit. Im ready and anxious to learn. Current training- Paddling 60 minutes 3x/week. (great cardio). Surf when I can. Lately not at all. Weight loss goals- College Weight 185 lbs Current Weight 215 lbs Race Goals- sprint (possibly Olympic) triathalon in May of 07. (Wild Flower- Lake Naciemento)

Keith -

Welcome to the group, which rounds out our five members! 

Sounds like you have a strong athletic background, and you have tackled what most people consider the toughest of the three disciplines - swimming.  The cycling and running will come fairly easily, and just require some patience and structured training.  Having said that, I've found running to be fairly challenging, and the physical adaptions to running have come somewhat slowly for me, so it requires some patience and smart training.

I think an early season sprint is a great goal, and if you find that you like the training and enjoy the race, you can commit to a second and possibly longer race later in the season. 

I think the key for you Keith will just be to get on a consistent training plan.  As mentioned above, there are some good training plans here on BT, and lots more available in books and other online publications.  And being kind of a training dork, I'm here to answer any questions you guys have as you get into the plans.

Sounds like a good group, and I'm looking forward to helping you guys in any way I can over the next couple of months. 

2007-01-01 5:05 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Gearwhore's Group - FULL
Good to see the group is full. I look forward to watching "OUR" groups progression. As far as a screen name goes you can just use my first name = Brian.

The 2008 IM - well it would be cool to get a lottery pick to Kona but I like to be realistic so I have a couple on my list depending on how my training goes.

1. Arizona - if my training and recovery goes well, this is an early season race so I don't know if my swim mileage will be ready

2. Florida - I have heard it is flat and fast - well at least it would be flat the fast part is probably out of the question for me.

3. Louisville - It is close to home which could be nice ( friends and family) but then again I would like to make my first IM a destination type race.

I am sure I will have plenty of swim questions in the near future. I plan on taking the plunge this week.

Till next time,
Brian
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11